Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How often do your sim marriages fail?

Most people (even sims) don’t stay with the same partner forever while dating, but what about marriage? How often do your sim marriages fail, and how many times do they remarry, if any? Thanks for participating 🎉

How often do your sim marriages fail? 225 votes

Very often. Almost every sim has had at least one failed marriage.
0%
imhappyBagoas77 2 votes
Somewhat often. About 1/2 of my sims have at least one failed marriage.
7%
auroraael14Colorist40sekojranaGoofhead2HermitgirlFurSimsOfficialsimesmerizedThePinkBookGirlOEII1001ShadyLady89HayleeSimsthatsnotsweglazyjuniperGamingTweetyIndigoGreeneRhaenyra13 16 votes
Not often. About 1/4 or less of my sims have at least one failed marriage.
24%
LaBlue0314jeepjeepcatalan650111IceyJaprilroseAlexaiSimpatsyannStrangerthanNofravellLadyDecafloubyloulouzagboorulesKatiardguezPlumbobCrossingpixiejuicejupkmnSimsChica2013AlbaWaterhouseDevilNDisguisecatitude5 56 votes
1/5 or less of my sims have had at least one failed marriage.
67%
Akl500Pbshag4lvtams2578icmnfrshverlainemKita5399GalacticGalIcewolfgrevilliabluealexspoom13storyyAyradysssnurflesNhimSimMLadyAzzeraPlayerSinger2010Vibsejoelygirlsims2simm621asimbsim 151 votes

Comments

• fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    My sims may have more than one boyfriend or girlfriend during their lifetime but once they're married that's it. Unless their spouse dies and they find someone after that but even that is rare.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    never
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited March 2019
    Never. At least, not yet. I'm a hopeless romantic so my married couples always have a happy ending, even if there's a lot of heartache (and there usually is, because I love angst and hurt/comfort) before they finally exchange vows. If only real life marriages were so enduring and happy, huh?
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I've had a few sims get divorced, but its very rare. Even boyfriends or girlfriends tend to be a one and only in my game most of the time, ie. My sim will date someone and marry them and stay with them forever.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Failed marriages are a blast. You get an enemy and awkward relations with the kids.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    My played sim marriages often end in death by black widow, not divorce... (I'll pretend they divorced for the poll) Come to think of it that basically the only reason my sims get married with a few exceptional happy co-habitations and marriages.
    Unplayed households might not count but if there is a evil serial romantic on the loose it's fun to watch the fireworks.
    egTcBMc.png
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    IDK. Divorces IRL make me sad. Sims never really have marital problems unless you deliberately try (or have them cheat on their spouse), so it just doesn't happen often in my game
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • MelsieYTMelsieYT Posts: 289 Member
    I get way too attached to couples so 1/5 for me, for sure (and I'm surprised I'm in the majority, to be honest). I have had sims breakup with girlfriends or boyfriends, and a few ended engagements, but divorce is very rare for me. Sometimes it's just part of the storyline so it's inevitable, but in this case I usually plan the divorce before the marriage even happens.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited March 2019
    Never. I have had relationships before marriage fail but never a marriage. My Sims either stay married or don't get married.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    Never. You do not offer a place to mark my answer, so I am writing it. LOL.

I generally wait until Sims have been in a long relationship through most of their YA age - and then they might marry and have 1-2 kids. So my sims know each other well, and have spent a lot of time together building their careers and skills, and bond deeply, then they eventually get married. I played Sims 3 the same way, and also the marriages always lasted.

It probably helps that I never give Sims flirty traits or make romance Sims - so my Sims are not really tempted by other sims outside my couples romance. I don't know - I just know it works for me.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Never. You do not offer a place to mark my answer, so I am writing it. LOL.

I generally wait until Sims have been in a long relationship through most of their YA age - and then they might marry and have 1-2 kids. So my sims know each other well, and have spent a lot of time together building their careers and skills, and bond deeply, then they eventually get married. I played Sims 3 the same way, and also the marriages always lasted.

It probably helps that I never give Sims flirty traits or make romance Sims - so my Sims are not really tempted by other sims outside my couples romance. I don't know - I just know it works for me.

That’s why I put “or less”, but whatever..
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Never.
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    This is all very interesting, thanks for all of the replies. I think the reason why I’m not in the majority is because I give my sims all kinds of personalities they could have, because I like playing around with every trait, aspiration, career, etc. It’s always been like that for me, so that means sometimes I have to deal with scandalous simmies who get married and then are tempted by others- (like how Don Lothario tempts sims)- so I end up with more failed marriages. I also make a story out of my sims, and I really love how all the pieces of a sims life fits together in the end. This means I love storylines that aren’t the usual- (childhood, career, marriage, children, death) and if divorce is a part of a story, it happens in my games :D
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Can't vote because there's no option for 'never'. When my Sims marry, it's for life. There are too many failed marriages in the real world, I choose to not let that happen in my simulated world. I know that's not 'realistic' but my Sims don't get married at all unless they are already best friends in love and totally committed to each other. Just like my own marriage. <3
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    This is all very interesting, thanks for all of the replies. I think the reason why I’m not in the majority is because I give my sims all kinds of personalities they could have, because I like playing around with every trait, aspiration, career, etc. It’s always been like that for me, so that means sometimes I have to deal with scandalous simmies who get married and then are tempted by others- (like how Don Lothario tempts sims)- so I end up with more failed marriages. I also make a story out of my sims, and I really love how all the pieces of a sims life fits together in the end. This means I love storylines that aren’t the usual- (childhood, career, marriage, children, death) and if divorce is a part of a story, it happens in my games :D

I played like you back in Sims 1 and 2 as the emotional system in the game - especially in Sims 2 was rather amazing so I used every trait possible - and loved the sliders. I remember well how Cassandra reacted even years after Don had left her at the alter, even after she was happily married and had kids with someone else - she was still furious at him. It never ceased to crack me up when she would remember and relive the event (loved the memory system in 2) and go kick his trash can over. If he dared step outside, she'd slap him silly, then stomp off home. Always left me laughing. But not all simmers liked all that and complained - so when Sims 3 came out the memory and the reaction system were pretty dead - so I adapted by changing the way I played as it was not fun to play that way any more - like it had been. I cut out a number of traits and instead of focusing on the whole neighborhoods I focused on just a few Sims households and just good relationships.

Sims 4 took memory and emotion completely away - it was dull and void, with next to no relationships with their neighbors at all outside of over the top silly smiles - even when they were angry - as they have no memory on why they were angry. For the first two years I went back to playing between Sims 2 and Sims 3 - but toddlers brought me back and Vampires made me stay. I finally found a Sims 4 I could play - but there is no natural way the game actually breaks up the Sims as even when they cheat the other Sims keeps smiling. They may cry a bit but there is nothing natural about how they should be feeling - so it annoyed me even more than the lessening of reactions in the Sims 3. To stop the annoyance more than anything - I stop giving traits like flirty or making romance Sims. Stopped having early marriages, so my Sims were more ready for a one on one real relationship. At least in my mind they were - and the marriages in Sims 4 last - never break up with me doing nothing else at all - nothing special anyway.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    never since i keep my sims single and unmarried
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    edited March 2019
    I like to make a big deal about going through the worlds and choosing a perfect partner for my sim, then planning their future for them before they've even met. That tends to make me really attached to my sims' spouses and their relationships, and it hurts me to break them up. I think I divorced a couple once in 7 generations of my legacy save, but it broke my heart. Usually if I want to throw some drama in there I kill one of the spouses, because for some reason I'd rather that happen than they get divorced. Plus divorce makes it hard to figure out what to do with the kids :/

I think breakups might be something I'll play with in the future, but as of now I can't bear it :,(
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I can’t remember the last time sims of mine divorced. I tend to play legacy style so the partner I choose for my sim is almost always for life. I have broken up marriages of other sims, however. My sims generally aren’t homewreckers, but occasionally a married sim will come along with genetics that are too good to ignore.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Almost never. But I need to add that my sims take their time before exchanging vows. I have many sims living in committed relationships without officially marrying and those relationships can fail. Sometimes the same relationship can fail several times in a row, lol.
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Never <3
    I guess divorce is so common in real life these days that its not even an option in a simulated game that marriage actually can last forever.

My sims are either single or happily married. :)
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Never, but that is because I also don't have sims cheat romantically. I guess I am lucky and divorce is not common among anyone I surround myself.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited March 2019
    I think I had a couple of divorces in the early game, but none in the last couple of years.

I actually did play Bob and Eliza Pancakes once, just long enough to have them get divorced, moved Eliza to a house in Windenburg, then marked both as unplayed to see what MCCC would do with them while I played my main Sims.

MCCC married them again -- to each other.

Can't fight fate, I guess.
    Post edited by stilljustme2 on
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • xeno_genesisxeno_genesis Posts: 56 Member
    > @takenbysheep said:
    > I like to make a big deal about going through the worlds and choosing a perfect partner for my sim, then planning their future for them before they've even met. That tends to make me really attached to my sims' spouses and their relationships, and it hurts me to break them up. I think I divorced a couple once in 7 generations of my legacy save, but it broke my heart. Usually if I want to throw some drama in there I kill one of the spouses, because for some reason I'd rather that happen than they get divorced. Plus divorce makes it hard to figure out what to do with the kids :/
    >
    > I think breakups might be something I'll play with in the future, but as of now I can't bear it :,(

This is exactly how I feel! I put a lot of effort into choosing and am so delighted by the courtship, I can't handle the thought of breaking them up or letting the relationships fade.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    So how do you decide a marriage has failed?

Because in my game, even evil overlord Malcolm Landgraab has managed to keep his marriage!
  • PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    almost never! t try to make sure that my future spouse has cthe same traits and wants as I do, or at least similar.