Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The In-Laws - Do You Play Them?

Let's suppose your sim marries one of the townies who comes from a game-generated family. Do you also move the in-laws in and play as them?

I've never done it myself but may in the future, to simulate the "you're stuck with your family" thing.

Comments

• takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    edited March 2019
    I usually move one of the inlaws in when their spouse dies of old age (especially when they're premades) because I hate to think that they're living at home alone :'( Plus they can be a huge help in taking care of those demonic toddlers. But otherwise no- most of the time I don't even have my sim introduce themselves to their significant other's family because it's too much work. They usually don't even make the wedding invite list haha.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I did once but it was too much of a hassle and it was a bit overwhelming for me.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,847 Member
    I don't move them in but might sometimes add them to the rotation so they all get attention.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    I don't actually play in-law households but I do have them in the game and interact with them though family get togethers and outings.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    The only time I did was when I played a family I named Extendeds. The idea behind it was that the in laws always came in but at one point it had gotten to where I couldn't further the main family tree because there were too many in-laws populating the home. I think it was around the 4th gen when that happened.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I have played a spouse's family before, especially if there were other children in the family. Also, I've been known to create a parent for them when none existed, and have them move in to help raise their grandchildren. I like having multi-generational households.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,404 Member
    I don’t play as them but I give them a copy of the resident key so that when they want they can stop by. They come by to see the grandkids😊 and manage to find their way to my meals meant for my kids😤
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2019
    I never play townie sim families. I do make friendships with them though by inviting them to family events and visiting them.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    I usually don't play the in-laws (except to age up and kill them, or move them in), but I try and invite them over occasionally to maintain a relationship with the rest of the family.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Not sure I understand this question. I play all households that are in a house on rotation. I don't think of any of them as someone I might not play. Those game created who do not live in a house I very rarely marry. If I do, I might create their parents/siblings just to take some family photos, and then I might move relatives into a vacant house, but they would never follow the one who married.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Let's suppose your sim marries one of the townies who comes from a game-generated family. Do you also move the in-laws in and play as them?

Probably not. I play most households including game-generated ones. When a sim from one household marries a sim from another household, the in-laws are not moved in.

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    ooh That would never happen, I don't marry Townies, unless the townies are made by me and that was my intension.

Everything in my game is written, before I make a Sim I already have their life planned out from their birth to death.
    The Big Events at least, so this includes who, what, when, where, why, and How they marry. their family situation everything is laid out.

So to answer the Question I do play the family, even before they're married because I rotate households constantly, for perspectives
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I add them to the rotation and play them. The more the merrier. <3
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,087 Member
    My main family is multi-generational. I have grandparents, parents, aunt and uncle and 2 little girls. They also interact with the rest of their extended family across the street a lot :)!
    4kkjdXo.png

• divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    I do when I create a large household or in my legacy saves, but I don't let my Sims marry townies with parents. That reminds me...we need in-law and step-family relationships like we did in TS3. We have it in Sims' family trees, but I'd really like to see it in relationship panels.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • cat_momcat_mom Posts: 36 Member
    Usually by the time my Sims age up and get married and are indepentant of parents I'm bored with the parents and don't play them much. I also have a retirement home where I place my senior Sims and their families can visit or they can visit their families.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I don't usually play the in-laws at all. They do get invited to all the parties so at least they keep a good relationship with the family though.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I'm sure I do
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • PenguinBudgiePenguinBudgie Posts: 44 Member
    Not typically, though I do have a family where two siblings married another sibling set. So each sim involved became each other's brother- and sister-in law, respectively.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    I don't play Townies, I prefer to craft my own families. And I generally create entire families at a time. Sometimes, the intended spouse has a sibling or two. I give them parents.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    i do everytime if i can. i try to limit each generation to one child and when they marry a townie the whole family moves in to assist in generating money which ensures that in a 'townie cull' my sims family isnt being deleted.

if the house is too full, they may have an 'accident'
  • jupkmnjupkmn Posts: 98 Member
    I never did that. Actually, I feel bad to make any Sim of mine marry someone that already have kids lol
  • snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    I have on occasion moved in the in-laws when a couple has married. It just depends on my mood and how busy I want my game to be. I do like large families in my game and I don't mind the bit of chaos that results from it.
  • MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    edited March 2019
    No. I don't. The Sim who has been married into the family can visit their biological family, but they never live with us. However, I never move anyone out from the main family. When I get a new heir their parents stay in the household until they die. That way I don't have to switch between a million lots to get to everyone. Everyone that I want to play all lives in the same place.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I do move at least one set of grandparents in to act as babysitters and getting to know their grandkids - usually it is either the poorest ones or the ones who live in apartments - but right now I am in a fairly new save and no one is married or had kids yet. I control aging so it will be a long while before these sims settle down. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....