December 12 - It's Patch Day for The Sims 4 on PC/MAC. Patch notes here.
December 6 - It's Friday. What does it mean in The Sims forums? Time to highlight some awesim discussions!
December 5 - It's patch day for The Sims 4 on console! Read the patch notes here.

Custom Content still shows but not in CAS?

I just recently downloaded a load of custom content onto my game, and my old custom content appeared in the game (e.g hair, interactions etc...), but when I go to change the sim's appearance in the mirror, NO custom content shows up at all. Everything disappears including all my old custom content and if I exist out of the mirror option, the custom content that appeared just disappears. I tried to check if I had a bugged package or something by process of elimination but its seems like it doesn't work no matter what packages I take out.

Any idea as to what could be happening here? Thanks in advance

Comments

  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,063 Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm not understanding the problem. ETA: Reread, o.k. I would guess you need to remove all the new stuff you just downloaded and start from the beginning. If you didn't have a problem before your binge, then of course it's something in the binge download. I go on binges, too, and have learned to test a small folder one at time.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • marx13marx13 Posts: 48 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm not understanding the problem.

    What I mean to say is that I downloaded a load of CC last night and when I went on to my game (CAS option, or mirror option to change Sim's appearance)...NONE of my CAS custom content appears (old and new). It all went away, hair, makeup included. However, furniture and gameplay modding remained. I literally have NO idea why this happened. Hope this makes more sense.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,063 Member
    edited September 2018
    marx13 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm not understanding the problem.

    What I mean to say is that I downloaded a load of CC last night and when I went on to my game (CAS option, or mirror option to change Sim's appearance)...NONE of my CAS custom content appears (old and new). It all went away, hair, makeup included. However, furniture and gameplay modding remained. I literally have NO idea why this happened. Hope this makes more sense.

    CAS assets aren't the same thumbnails as object thumbnails. Remove all the new custom clothes, hair, makeup etc. and test on thing at a time as you move it back into your game. ETA: Delete the Cigen package files, Open thumbnails and delete CAS thumbnails, too.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • marx13marx13 Posts: 48 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    marx13 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm not understanding the problem.

    What I mean to say is that I downloaded a load of CC last night and when I went on to my game (CAS option, or mirror option to change Sim's appearance)...NONE of my CAS custom content appears (old and new). It all went away, hair, makeup included. However, furniture and gameplay modding remained. I literally have NO idea why this happened. Hope this makes more sense.

    CAS assets aren't the same thumbnails as object thumbnails. Remove all the new custom clothes, hair, makeup etc. and test on thing at a time as you move it back into your game. ETA: Delete the Cigen package files, Open thumbnails and delete CAS thumbnails, too.

    Thank you for the advice. I took out all my CC packages that were CAS assets and tried them on bit by bit, but nothing shows up anymore. Again, only objects/gameplay mods. So, I then moved all my packages to a separate, spare folder and added in new CAS CC into my downloads folder, yet not even that will show up. Maybe my game is corrupted? In that case, would you recommend I restart the game? (luckily this is on my other laptop where I only have up to two generations, so it's not much of a loss).
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,063 Member
    edited September 2018
    marx13 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    marx13 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm not understanding the problem.

    What I mean to say is that I downloaded a load of CC last night and when I went on to my game (CAS option, or mirror option to change Sim's appearance)...NONE of my CAS custom content appears (old and new). It all went away, hair, makeup included. However, furniture and gameplay modding remained. I literally have NO idea why this happened. Hope this makes more sense.

    CAS assets aren't the same thumbnails as object thumbnails. Remove all the new custom clothes, hair, makeup etc. and test on thing at a time as you move it back into your game. ETA: Delete the Cigen package files, Open thumbnails and delete CAS thumbnails, too.

    Thank you for the advice. I took out all my CC packages that were CAS assets and tried them on bit by bit, but nothing shows up anymore. Again, only objects/gameplay mods. So, I then moved all my packages to a separate, spare folder and added in new CAS CC into my downloads folder, yet not even that will show up. Maybe my game is corrupted? In that case, would you recommend I restart the game? (luckily this is on my other laptop where I only have up to two generations, so it's not much of a loss).

    No, don't bother repairing game etc. If nothing is showing up do you have CEP installed? I guess you do if you have some custom objects, right? And some custom content can wind up in the Saved Sims folder if you saved a Sim wearing that cc, (your old cc) but then didn't add those back into a downloads folder. Frankly, it sounds like you don't have the meshes or a recolor or vice versa, and or didn't open all the package files.

    I can help test some of it today if you want to say where you got the cc and what site? I can download it to see if there are meshes in them or if you misread something. ETA: Is this a custom mirror in your game? Maybe it's glitched.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,364 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    marx13 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    marx13 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm not understanding the problem.

    What I mean to say is that I downloaded a load of CC last night and when I went on to my game (CAS option, or mirror option to change Sim's appearance)...NONE of my CAS custom content appears (old and new). It all went away, hair, makeup included. However, furniture and gameplay modding remained. I literally have NO idea why this happened. Hope this makes more sense.

    CAS assets aren't the same thumbnails as object thumbnails. Remove all the new custom clothes, hair, makeup etc. and test on thing at a time as you move it back into your game. ETA: Delete the Cigen package files, Open thumbnails and delete CAS thumbnails, too.

    Thank you for the advice. I took out all my CC packages that were CAS assets and tried them on bit by bit, but nothing shows up anymore. Again, only objects/gameplay mods. So, I then moved all my packages to a separate, spare folder and added in new CAS CC into my downloads folder, yet not even that will show up. Maybe my game is corrupted? In that case, would you recommend I restart the game? (luckily this is on my other laptop where I only have up to two generations, so it's not much of a loss).

    No, don't bother repairing game etc. If nothing is showing up do you have CEP installed? I guess you do if you have some custom objects, right? And some custom content can wind up in the Saved Sims folder if you saved a Sim wearing that cc, (your old cc) but then didn't add those back into a downloads folder. Frankly, it sounds like you don't have the meshes or a recolor or vice versa, and or didn't open all the package files.

    I can help test some of it today if you want to say where you got the cc and what site? I can download it to see if there are meshes in them or if you misread something. ETA: Is this a custom mirror in your game? Maybe it's glitched.

    CEP would be if it was the EA object recolors not showing up. CEP doesn't affect CAS items.

    CEP allows for players to create custom recolors of EA meshes for objects.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,063 Member
    Sigh, I know that, I thought they said some interactions etc. show up then don't show up,, which I assumed was object interactions.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Sigh, I know that, I thought they said some interactions etc. show up then don't show up,, which I assumed was object interactions.

    Was clarifying what the CEP did for the OP and other readers browsing the forum in case they didn't know so they would know why you backtracked on CEP being the issue.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,063 Member
    edited September 2018
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Sigh, I know that, I thought they said some interactions etc. show up then don't show up,, which I assumed was object interactions.

    Was clarifying what the CEP did for the OP and other readers browsing the forum in case they didn't know so they would know why you backtracked on CEP being the issue.

    :smirk: (some days we have brain farts)

    .....but maybe it's the custom mirror ?????? :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • real_kathrynannreal_kathrynann Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm having similar issues. Some of the custom content I download disappears in CAS. During gameplay the CC that shows up sometimes glitches. I'd take a screenshot but I can't post pictures. Any advice?
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,364 Member
    @real_kathrynann You say some content disappears in CAS.

    What items are showing up and what items are not showing up?
  • real_kathrynannreal_kathrynann Posts: 3 New Member
    @Seera1024 I'm not sure on specific items, but say I download 20 items, I'd say 18 show up that I can use. I think it's a mixture of clothing, hair and makeup. CC that I do have in CAS doesn't disappear or anything like that.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,364 Member
    @real_kathrynann The items matter as there are some items that require meshes and those would be hairs and clothes if they aren't recolors of Maxis outfits or hairs. And that would be a common reason why some CC is not showing up.

    Or you forgot to unpack it accidentally if it was in a compressed folder would be the other common thing and that could happen to any type of CC.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,063 Member
    Some makeup and some eyebrows etc. will not work on some skins, if any of those should be missing. You would have to flip through several skins to possibly make some eyebrows and some makeup show up. It depends on the custom skin, or the skin the creators used especially for some eyebrows etc. And some eyebrows etc. won't show up on some skins depending on hair color. The eyebrow may not have been binned to all hair colors or only worn with a custom color or style. That's just the way things work with some of this stuff.

    Also, are you sure the clothes are for all ages? It may be that some outfits were for teen or YAs. But I've had a mod installed for years that allows all of Uni clothes to be worn by adults and even some teen clothes to be worn by adults so I tend to forget that they don't show up on an adult unless a mod is installed. You may have to switch through all ages to make sure.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • SimLoverKSimLoverK Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi Everyone, I'm in desperate need and need help! I play the sims 4 and have recently had trouble downloading custom content. What would download as a file and allow me to extract to Winrar, is now downloading as 'internet explorer' and not allowing me to extract at all. PLEASE help or direct me to a thread that has this information.
    Thank you in advance for any advice :smile:
  • M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 18,349 Member
    Hello @SimLoverK, and welcome to the official forums of The Sims. :)

    I think that you are currently looking in the wrong forum section, this is namely the Sims 2 corner of the forums. ;)
    Since you mentioned that you're playing Sims 4 I'd recommend taking a look on that section of the forums: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-modding-and-custom-content.

    Regarding your downloading problem: I assume that you're using Internet Explorer as your browser? And I'm assuming that your problematic file has either a .rar or .zip extension?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top