Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did you successfully manage to do a RPG character in the Sims?

2...Next

Comments

• thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    LOL @Hejix
    I was joking with a friend yesterday that a game he told me to check out (Pathfinder: Kingmaker) must have been created by Bethesda with EA because of the large number of bugs. I don't think it's a wise combination.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2019
    Hejix wrote: »
    Strangeville is Sims (all brand new). I tried Sims Medieval. A bit limited. Didn't really like Neverwinter Night, preferred Baldur's Gate. ;) Yes, World Adventure was the first to step in the RPG direction. Although, it wasn't ''there'' yet.
    It wasn’t there yet? I love that pack, I’ve been playing it for nine years now and it still doesn’t bore me. Which is quite an achievement for an RPG based expansion pack. WA was ‘there’ yet alright. As far as RPG should go in this franchise from my point of view.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I was glad Adventure was not another boring resort expansion. It's the fact that there weren't much real danger that perhaps bothered me. But, in Pathfinder, I play storymode and the combats are ridiculously easy. Which is somewhat relaxing after all the frustrations in Baldur's gate.

How far this franchise should go? I think it should go crazy on the storylines with the option to deactivate it if you want. I want deep stories for all the npcs, even the townies! Not just lazy scenarios. But with choices and consequences (not too linear for replayability). Help premade families and neighborhoods truly evolve over time.

I want original stuff that isn't a parody of something else. For example, the cowplant nailed it I think. (Or not, it's a parody of the Little Horror's shop, nevermind).

I want my sim to die if I'm careless (random meteorites and lightning strikes in sims 2, lol). I want real danger... Mixed with everyday life.

Seriously, I think Strangeville is heading in the right direction. Your neighborhood evolves with the story and you get a world to mess with when it's over. If you could set it in different stage, like in Sims 3 future Utopia, dystopia, neutral, it would be perfect.

Oh, and it should be bugless and thoroughly tested before release... I can always dream.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
    edited March 2019
    It’s Sims of course, it’s not like other games where you have to use your skills to keep characters alive. I do like the mummies though. You can escape them if you really want to but if you choose not to, no matter how slow they are they’ll get you. And one of the cures for the mummy curse is so spectacular!

I don’t want storylines in this franchise myself. There are loads of games that do that and way better. People can play that. The uniqueness of this franchise is its openess. The setup for a story and then go ahead, play whatever you want to play, tell your own story. That’s the only thing that pulled me into this game and though I fully appreciate people embracing this new direction, I can’t express how much I regret it. For me it’s nothing more and nothing less than the end. I love Sims 3 and that’s a fortunate thing because apparently it will be just Sims 3 that will be left for me. Strangerville is just a click click click playing through a story thing, I’ll watch the video and I’ll know what it’s about. I must add the whole Utopia/Dystopia never has interested me either. I played about everything Sims 3 has to offer but that ‘thing’ I skipped. I don’t need the game to tell me a story, I want the game to hand me an idea and then I’ll tell the story. I have plenty of worlds in Sims 3 to mess with, I don’t need a storyline for that. I would love advanced Story Progression, but in a way that I would always be able to intervene and change the line of events.

The point is, when they go crazy on the storylines, there won’t me time and money left to do something else. That will be it. A pack with a storyline and spoiler marks needed on forums and other platforms to avoid people don’t have to play the game themselves anymore.

Sims 3 has random meteorites and lightning strikes as well by the way.
    5JZ57S6.png
    I think we can have both. I just want them to go even further into a direction. They still can do more opened expansions in alternance. (As they actually do).

In fact, I was playing the main storyline and realized I couldn't do what it wanted. So I switched family. And now, I have this town in a middle state with a suspended storyline as much as I like. No timer. No pressure. No random encounter. And I care so much more about the town because of its spectacular introduction (because this is what the pack is about). And this switched household thing is unique to the sims. When you play Skyrim, you cannot become one of the monks... Or one of the villagers. You're stuck being the hero. In Sims medieval, they had that right. You could be the queen, or the bard, or the blacksmith. In Adventures, you could take vacations once you were tired of traps.

I'm just saying they could go further in the rpg direction. It's fun that for one pack, you have laundry and parenting and in the other, vampires and scifi. (Hey, I got spa even if it's zzz).

They did that in sims 3 as well. I liked the concept of sims 3 into the future and it's cool because of the numerous saves, I can go crazy with adventures and the other, with babies.

One doesn't replace the other. We need both. And I itch for something that hasn't been done yet and I'm not the only one. I'm tired of all the remakes. I want new stuff. And I don't mind sacrifying toddlers for it (I have enough of them in Sims 3, lol).

They could go crazy with the game option button so most of us would be happy. ;) Casual, hardcore...
    I agree with you it can be fun for one pack and therefore I fully grant Sims 4 fans enjoying this pack, but I fear it won’t be just this one pack. And for Sims 4, to be quite honest with you, I don’t mind. A bit of storyline based gameplay could spice things up a little. But there’s still a stubborn (naive?) child in me that keeps hoping that one day there will be this successor that will manage to make the sandbox part of the game a success again. Then we won’t need stories.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Sims 5? Made by the fans themselves? ;P
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @Hejix This is where I need a LOL button. Just the thought of getting fans to agree on what should go in the game makes me want to laugh uncontrollably or hide myself in a dark corner :D
    I wonder. I think if they’d manage to really focus on the sims, give them a proper personality system, memories, fleshed out life stages, tools to customize the game, I think you’d find there’d be an audience. Nobody can have it completely the way they want it, but if the basics are alright and fun, I’m convinced most fans would be fine.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I agree that a game like you describe would find an audience. I merely find it funny thinking of sim fans trying to agree on what should go into the game while they are making it as @Hejix (jokingly, I hope) suggested :D
    Gamers can be quite passionate. I'm glad I'm not in the developers' shoes (although I'd like to push for content I want, but I'd be forced to be neutral, so meh).

But true, a good game will make most people happy. And sims is still a good game despite its flaws. If not, we wouldn't be on these forums and would have left a long ago.

What would help would have to have a competitor to EA. Just like Dungeon and Dragons has Pathfinder, Sims should have something that challenges it to do better to keep its fans.

But so far, it's the only game of its kind, I've only seen pale copies of it. Too bad. It would force them to give us better content with better value and less bugs.
    If the community was as "chill" as in the "What happened in your sims 3 game", that could work. ;) Or we would need a mega computer to handle sims 1 to 4 with all its expansions and cc and mods. ;)
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,119 Member
    edited March 2019
    @Hejix I'm not at my desktop at the moment to post a picture, but did you see the pics of Jade from the game Dragon Quest XI that I created?
    Edit: On the main thread? ;)

I'm so not trying to brag, but I think she turned out pretty well. :blush:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    edited March 2019
    @emorrill Yes, she's well done, I saw her in your blog, though I prefer my bunnies with more furs. :wink: (sorry, no Sims 3 version...) L3nI0po.png However, did you play her (beside the photoshoot)? It's always the scenarios I'm curious of. Is she, for example, a heartbreaker? Because I find many of us create characters to never play them... Same for buildings.
    edited March 2019
    I tried the inverse, did my Fallout 4 couple in Sims FIRST to explore their marriage before they're separated by the apocalypse... It would be fun to put the Goth, for example, in that game... or Eliza Pancake and Bob. How far would they go in an apocalypse world??? (Or Cottoneye, I'm in the Sims 3 thread ;P).