Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What can be done to fix sims themselves?

Comments

• FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    Summary of March 2 until March 10

Likes and dislikes
    • Based on the club activities system
    • Gain it based on what your sim actually does : for some hobbies such as cooking, computer etc you can't gain interest on this except if you have the foodie & geek traits otherwise every sims will love the same activities.
    • The possibility to choose them or make them random with a toggle
    • They should autonomously do their favorite hobbies but it shouldn't be too forced, they should do it when all their needs are full
    • Those preferences should act on their relations, they can discuss those interests with other sims but those who don't like the same things shouldn't agree (like what you did with wheater preferences in Seasons)
    • When you go back home they should do their hobbies instead of watching TV, playing chest etc (only when their needs are full of course)
    • Hobbies should be fun for our sims, like in real life
    • A sim should gain boost on activities he/she likes (if it is a skill) however if this is something a sim doesn't like it should be harder for him to developp this skill

Whims
    • They should be related to what the sim is doing at that time, not random and illogical (sometimes I have sims who want to walk their dog after it died)
    • Related to their traits & what they are living
    • Whims according to their aspirations

Turn on/off
    • The physical ones should affect the relationships & interests should affect friendships
    • Preferences on jobs, hair/eyes color, traits, body type, age, gender, clothes etc
    • Married sims shouldn't always be in love, the relationship should decrease with time, evolution of traits, interests etc

Emotions
    • Decrease the impact of the happy emotion!
    • The ''fine'' emotion should be the base one instead of the happy one
    • Stop the lunatic behaviours : when a sim dies they shouldn't be sad and right after happy cause the house is well decorated & the food was great
    • Auras should be less strong
    • Good balance between emotions ex : a sad sim > he/she didn't eat > stays sad instead of uncomfortable > needs to sleep > becomes very sad instead of very uncomfortable. Make something like the meaningful stories mod!
    • Real gameplay instead of temporary buffs
    • Sims shouldn't flirt with everyone when they are flirty
    • A fear emotion

Traits
    • More slots and a ''random traits'' button
    • Impactful traits & special interactions : only geek sims should always play computer, loner sims shouldn't talk to everybody in the street & they should avoid people (eat at the other table etc), evil sims should autonomously do means interactions etc.
    • More special interactions instead of moodlets. A bookworm should read faster, hate watching TV, gain more fun while reading, love reading to children etc. Lazy sims could have the interactions to lay on the sofa, eat chips on the sofa etc. Not just another ''discuss off'' recycled interaction
    • Every trait should have an opposite

Memory
    • They should remember to who they are married, who was rude etc
    • Sim can be scared of relive a bad memory
    • They should remember big events

Reactions, behaviours & relations
    • A fury and joy system : being mad at someone to the point where the sim can wish to see X dies and Y being fired etc, for the joy system it should be easier to build a friendship, the sim will accept pratically everything, give a lot of money etc. This system should be related to the memory.
    • Better reactions to death, cheat on, enemies etc
    • Reactions related to the traits
    • Parents should be more careful with their children : if they are hungry they should cook, put them to the bed etc.

Wants & fears
    • They should be according to what happens in the life of a sim & the traits of the sim
    • It can have an impact on their emotions, for example a sim can have a breakdown if too many of his/her fears have been realized.

Favorites food, drink, color
    • When a sim wear the color he/she likes, he should be happy (not a strong moodlet)
    • If his/her favorite drink/food is bad quality the sim should be angry/sad according to his/her traits

Extra things
    • Improve the ''away system'' : sims shouldn't be eating breakfest at 9PM, they should fill their needs, do the activities they like, continue sleeping if it's late etc

Wow it took me more than 1 hour to do this. I hope I didn't forget something important. I'm gonna try to do these summaries every Sunday if there's new ideas & I hope it will be useful for you & for the devs. If I make these summaries this is to help you devs, so please look at them & of course the amazing feedbacks in this thread. I'm sorry if there's any mistakes. Thank's again for the support simmers! :wink:

Great summary. I think we all very much appreciate your dedication. I am sorry I have notposted more. Been a bit under the weather. I hope your hard works gets some much needed attention.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I agree that our sims personalities could benefit from further development. There are so many great ideas here, but for me in particular –

Traits could use more depth to make them more distinct and have more of an impact on gameplay. I want my hot-headed sims to really get angry when things go wrong or someone upsets them, not carry on smiling because the décor is nice lol. More unique idle animations too like we have with Dance Machine for example would be great.

I also want more interesting traits to give sims unique personalities e.g. proper, eccentric, cultured, socially awkward, shy, brooding, loyal, rebellious, brave, anxious / neurotic etc. (with a fear emotion - because where is it?). There are some great ideas in this thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16949895#Comment_16949895

I love Jordan061102's suggestions of expanding personalities to make sims more complex with likes / dislikes, turns / offs (romance pack please?), fears, optional flaws, favourites etc. Some traits right now do feel more like preferences, e.g. vegetarian, cat lover etc. so I don't tend to use them as often since we only have 3 trait slots to give our sims personality. I also think it would be nice to make certain skills harder or even impossible to gain past a certain point for some sims e.g. a sim I've imagined to be socially awkward shouldn't be able to max out his charisma simply through chatting to his roommate. Also why do I have to cheat to give my adult sims character values? They add so much character.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    There is a thread called "Traits are
    broken on The Sims 4 and we all have to admit it"
    My grammar might be wrong, however it has some ideas of what are the traits should be, and feedback. I think it would be great if some can be posted here, as well the critism, to make a combination of threads about this topic. We
    should have out voices together, umited imo.

Another thing that I notices just recently, I donwnload the meaningful stories mod from roburky which aims to balance out emotions of each sims and make them realistic, in combination of Personality Please Mod. These teo mods combined makes it closer to the Unique sims that the game should have. Emotions had inertia. Say your sim was sad because a friend dies. If you enter a room,
    the emotion wont change because
    negative emotions adds powerful moodlets that the player must overcome in order to have them happy again. This means that when a sim felt something negative, they won't be happy instantly.

There is a base game interaction like "Try to calm down" and "Fry to cheer up" whole this interaction had an upside its upside was its downside. What it does is it instantly removes the negstive moodlet. Your mother sim died and children stsrted crying? Use that that interaction thrn the moodlet eoll be totally gone. They wont be sad anymore, and
    its annoying combining the fact that
    Sims don't have memory. Sure
    you can take picture the parent and
    have them reminiscent or remember that memory, but the fact remains that they don't remember them in a way that it functions was just to give a emotional moodlet, unlike sims 2 where memeries actually impact gameplay.

I have been Simming since the very first day all those years ago, I have only recently purchased and played the Sims 4. However, one of my concerns about the game is about the Personalities. This is my Humble Opinion and based off of my own experiences in the game.

Situation one: My sim has just broken off an engagement, both parties are highly ticked at each other, but wait they don't seem mad; in fact they are just standing there and hug each other, talk to each other cordially like nothing just happened. Their bubble is ticked, their moodlet is ticked, and they are now loathing each other in the romance meter. Then they show up to the house and still call like nothing happened. Even after you take away the key you gave them, they come by and give you a big hug, their friendship meter however indicates a death match should be under way. Instead they had amnesia of the events that made them mad and they are chummy.

Wait what? What happened to sims actually glaring at each other and getting angry every time they saw that sim after, what about the sassy confrontations? You know even days later when they see that sim they still grudge pretty hard.

Situation two: My neighbor is walking by, no big deal, I will just keep doing what I am doing. My crush/girlfriend is walking by, no big deal, I will just keep doing what I am doing.

wait what? What happened to sims actually looking at their crush as they walk by? what happened to the thought bubble showing that sweetheart just made their pulse quick?

These are two main examples that I experienced in my own game playing that made me alarmed. It was blaring drastic compared to the Sims 3 I just played a week before. The interactions and subtle things that make the sims less robotic and more sim like/people like. subtle things that we notice about our sims, how they respond, how the mood system responds, how memories are made.

The personality in the Sims 4 really needs an overhaul.

The noticeable one after playing with a family for more than a generation, story progression, not just age progression.

All of my sims feel the same and act the same, I may pick traits but unless I have them doing an interaction they hardly have their own personalities on their own. When left on their own they opt for reading a book, listening to music, watching tv, or playing games. What happened to them doing things they liked on their own out of the general norm, I would expect that from my sims just starting off with a clean slate, but would expect more interaction as they learned more of a particular skill.

I also think more personality traits, likes and dislikes, would be nice, I was surprised to see this was not really developed. I loved that my sims could have specific likes such as food, type of music, ect. It would be nice to see a sim go into the kitchen and make a meal like prefer, turn on a channel they like, listen to music they like. The biggest thing that made me hysterical in the past is seeing a sim nearly gag on their first terrible or burnt meal. That's pretty funny, or when they would run to the toilet to throw up the bad meal. Maybe gross, but so realistic.

I think that there should be more traits available for each age, and when my sim does not like kids, I want them to let me know in some way that the kid around them is irritating them.

There really has been some great suggestions. I would love to see this make its way as a patch in the game. I want my sims to react without having to be told to react. I want my sims to interact without having to be told to interact. I want them to have good and bad experiences while they are in the town and I am playing in another household.

I do miss the memories, sometimes it was fun to look back and see what my sim was up to while I was playing with another household.

This is certainly not a comprehensive list, but the main things I have noticed in 3 months I have been playing The Sims 4.

Cheers!

Yes. Noticed them too. They really need to add memories and when
    it comes to traits, some of them aren't actuall. Have a sim with Outgoing, Good, and Cheerful. Those are the traits don't have enough power to build a personality. Outgoing only affects how quickly the social bar decrease, but seing how sims can multitask in 4 and talk almost anytime, it felt that every sim already has this trait. They really need to overhaul them to become powerful.
  • Arcanine4PresidentArcanine4President Posts: 31 Member
    In my opinion, they really need to add back Zodiac Traits, and Turn Ons/Offs.
    I miss when traits actually shaped a Sims' personality.
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    I feel like part of the issue is, that depending on what route they take it could annoy or infuriate part of the fan base. We’ve already seen debates of random vs chosen, and if sims start behaving in a drastically different manner...

Personally, I’m for it, and I fall on the side of more randomized aspects (aaaand cheats or ways to potentially change them). But I can see why it may take the sim team awhile to roll out.

Also, part of the issue is some of traits are just uh. Kinda vague by nature.

“Evil” says nothing really about how a sim ACTS. Are they a big business mogul evil? What kind? Mad scientist evil? Do they put in a nice front? Love their friends but murder their enemies? Are they nasty to everyone indiscriminately? Even stuff like ‘hugs family they don’t like’ could be seen from a evil sim perspective as a number of reasonable scenarios. I had a evil sim I played as being EXTREMELY dedicated to family, even if he didn’t like them. Family was everything, and he would do anything for them. So to suddenly see his behavior drastically change to ‘mean’ things or etc would ruin the story I built.

The reason why the old point system worked so well with sims 2 was because each aspect was something that would be noticeable in behavior. A slob would be different than a neat sim, nice and mean means far more for actual behavior than the vaguer terms good and evil do.

Although I doubt it can be done on this current game system, I would love to see a reshuffling where the core behavoral stuff is added back with sliders, and then you can select a small number of traits to add quirks. I remember back in sims 2 how people wished they could make their sims vegetarian, and I love parts of that aspects for traits. We could have traits more for little things like that which don’t speak to a larger personality, and I could see the stuff like ‘paranoid’ or ‘cheerful’ or ‘self assured’ that could add a bit more depth.

Realistic steps for Sims 4 though would be stuff like adding turn one/turn offs, maybe do something to beef up the behavior protocols for certain traits and moods and specific moodlets, and do stuff like either expand the number of traits sims can have and release a pack with a number of new traits that drastically effect a sim more than the current ones do. That way people won’t see sims they’ve grown attached to drastically change, but can try on more traits with other sims.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Thank you guys for the participation, I'll read it & respond to it tomorrow. And I think I'll also make a summary this Sunday. I hope we will be heard & happy simming! :)
    Lu4ERme.gif
    I feel like part of the issue is, that depending on what route they take it could annoy or infuriate part of the fan base. We’ve already seen debates of random vs chosen, and if sims start behaving in a drastically different manner...

Personally, I’m for it, and I fall on the side of more randomized aspects (aaaand cheats or ways to potentially change them). But I can see why it may take the sim team awhile to roll out.

“Evil” says nothing really about how a sim ACTS. Are they a big business mogul evil? What kind? Mad scientist evil? Do they put in a nice front? Love their friends but murder their enemies? Are they nasty to everyone indiscriminately? Even stuff like ‘hugs family they don’t like’ could be seen from a evil sim perspective as a number of reasonable scenarios. I had a evil sim I played as being EXTREMELY dedicated to family, even if he didn’t like them. Family was everything, and he would do anything for them. So to suddenly see his behavior drastically change to ‘mean’ things or etc would ruin the story I built.

The reason why the old point system worked so well with sims 2 was because each aspect was something that would be noticeable in behavior. A slob would be different than a neat sim, nice and mean means far more for actual behavior than the vaguer terms good and evil do.

Although I doubt it can be done on this current game system, I would love to see a reshuffling where the core behavoral stuff is added back with sliders, and then you can select a small number of traits to add quirks. I remember back in sims 2 how people wished they could make their sims vegetarian, and I love parts of that aspects for traits. We could have traits more for little things like that which don’t speak to a larger personality, and I could see the stuff like ‘paranoid’ or ‘cheerful’ or ‘self assured’ that could add a bit more depth.

Realistic steps for Sims 4 though would be stuff like adding turn one/turn offs, maybe do something to beef up the behavior protocols for certain traits and moods and specific moodlets, and do stuff like either expand the number of traits sims can have and release a pack with a number of new traits that drastically effect a sim more than the current ones do. That way people won’t see sims they’ve grown attached to drastically change, but can try on more traits with other sims.

I agree with you. Another prolem with traits is that they don't work together. How about an combination of Evil and Genius could let to ehims of creating machines for evil purpose? Things like that would be neat.

Now that I thought of Genius, I think it would be cool for some traits to have not just interactions and bonuses around them, but also, objects for them. Aside from showing a not functioning invention, what can a genius sim can do in the base game?They can't invent things or even have meaningful interactions about their meaningful ideas. Speaking of meaningul interactions, how about gloomy sims have the ability to listen to sad songs when they feel sad?Little details are always what makes The Sims special.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Reading through many of these well-written comments and I will just say, I agree! These are all wonderful ideas.

Likes, dislikes, fears, turn ons/turn-offs, memories, and an overhauled whim system, and changing the impact of the environment could all go a long way.

I also believe as @Archieonic mentioned in a post several pages back - that the core is not irreparably broken, it's possible to create these changes, it's more a matter of whether EA/the Dev team has the same priorities. There are mods now that address several of these issues but I would love to see all of these ideas implemented in the base game!

• LadyDecafLadyDecaf Posts: 89 Member
    Couldn’t agree more with the main ideas and criticisms being presented in this thread. I wish the team would respond to this feedback. It’s a valid conversation to have. A lot of the personality my sims have is only because of my imagination filling in the huge gaps the game leaves.

Traits have failed to differentiate sims from each other.

The happy emotion shouldn't be the default emotion. It's frustrating when they're perpetually happy at home because of nice decorations.

Proper reactions should be implemented. As of now, seeing an enemy results in either no reaction or an inappropriate one like chatting or hugging.

Whims are just random and generic and, as a result, meaningless. It’s a shame they haven’t been reworked to give us a legitimate guide as to what our sims might truly desire.

And a 100x yes to a more complex romance system. Give us turn ons, turn offs and a reputation system for romance where you can be a known as a player, a faithful partner ect.
  • tommynocker001tommynocker001 Posts: 187 Member
    I wonder if our sims haven't been fully desensitized to not only protect their 'T' rating but to protect a desensitized generation...

Seasons only contains 4 actual seasons so while any attempt to make personalities revolve around such things would be easy, but could result in turmoil from being too simple. The sims dial seems only to be on a one or ten. My sims, quite literally, drop whatever they are doing to run outside and look at the first snow! If the devs did try to crowbar it in, it might just contain all hate or love for 1/4 of the sim population... perhaps it's a little too complex for them? I hope they can grasp the nuance of such a system and implement something cool...
    edited March 2019
    I have been Simming since the very first day all those years ago, I have only recently purchased and played the Sims 4. However, one of my concerns about the game is about the Personalities. This is my Humble Opinion and based off of my own experiences in the game.

Situation one: My sim has just broken off an engagement, both parties are highly ticked at each other, but wait they don't seem mad; in fact they are just standing there and hug each other, talk to each other cordially like nothing just happened. Their bubble is ticked, their moodlet is ticked, and they are now loathing each other in the romance meter. Then they show up to the house and still call like nothing happened. Even after you take away the key you gave them, they come by and give you a big hug, their friendship meter however indicates a death match should be under way. Instead they had amnesia of the events that made them mad and they are chummy.

Wait what? What happened to sims actually glaring at each other and getting angry every time they saw that sim after, what about the sassy confrontations? You know even days later when they see that sim they still grudge pretty hard.

Situation two: My neighbor is walking by, no big deal, I will just keep doing what I am doing. My crush/girlfriend is walking by, no big deal, I will just keep doing what I am doing.

wait what? What happened to sims actually looking at their crush as they walk by? what happened to the thought bubble showing that sweetheart just made their pulse quick?

These are two main examples that I experienced in my own game playing that made me alarmed. It was blaring drastic compared to the Sims 3 I just played a week before. The interactions and subtle things that make the sims less robotic and more sim like/people like. subtle things that we notice about our sims, how they respond, how the mood system responds, how memories are made.

The noticeable one after playing with a family for more than a generation, story progression, not just age progression.

All of my sims feel the same and act the same, I may pick traits but unless I have them doing an interaction they hardly have their own personalities on their own. When left on their own they opt for reading a book, listening to music, watching tv, or playing games. What happened to them doing things they liked on their own out of the general norm, I would expect that from my sims just starting off with a clean slate, but would expect more interaction as they learned more of a particular skill.

I also think more personality traits, likes and dislikes, would be nice, I was surprised to see this was not really developed. I loved that my sims could have specific likes such as food, type of music, ect. It would be nice to see a sim go into the kitchen and make a meal like prefer, turn on a channel they like, listen to music they like. The biggest thing that made me hysterical in the past is seeing a sim nearly gag on their first terrible or burnt meal. That's pretty funny, or when they would run to the toilet to throw up the bad meal. Maybe gross, but so realistic.

I think that there should be more traits available for each age, and when my sim does not like kids, I want them to let me know in some way that the kid around them is irritating them.

There really has been some great suggestions. I would love to see this make its way as a patch in the game. I want my sims to react without having to be told to react. I want my sims to interact without having to be told to interact. I want them to have good and bad experiences while they are in the town and I am playing in another household.

I do miss the memories, sometimes it was fun to look back and see what my sim was up to while I was playing with another household.

This is certainly not a comprehensive list, but the main things I have noticed in 3 months I have been playing The Sims 4.

Cheers!

This is always like that in this game, If we don't do anything our sims won't act logically with their ''personalities''.
    I agree that our sims personalities could benefit from further development. There are so many great ideas here, but for me in particular –

Traits could use more depth to make them more distinct and have more of an impact on gameplay. I want my hot-headed sims to really get angry when things go wrong or someone upsets them, not carry on smiling because the décor is nice lol. More unique idle animations too like we have with Dance Machine for example would be great.

I also want more interesting traits to give sims unique personalities e.g. proper, eccentric, cultured, socially awkward, shy, brooding, loyal, rebellious, brave, anxious / neurotic etc. (with a fear emotion - because where is it?). There are some great ideas in this thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16949895#Comment_16949895

I love Jordan061102's suggestions of expanding personalities to make sims more complex with likes / dislikes, turns / offs (romance pack please?), fears, optional flaws, favourites etc. Some traits right now do feel more like preferences, e.g. vegetarian, cat lover etc. so I don't tend to use them as often since we only have 3 trait slots to give our sims personality. I also think it would be nice to make certain skills harder or even impossible to gain past a certain point for some sims e.g. a sim I've imagined to be socially awkward shouldn't be able to max out his charisma simply through chatting to his roommate. Also why do I have to cheat to give my adult sims character values? They add so much character.

I think we all agree that more traits that actually give gameplay are needed. What I put in bold is interesting, it would add much more sense & challenge.
    TS1299 wrote: »
    There is a thread called "Traits are
    broken on The Sims 4 and we all have to admit it"
    My grammar might be wrong, however it has some ideas of what are the traits should be, and feedback. I think it would be great if some can be posted here, as well the critism, to make a combination of threads about this topic. We
    should have out voices together, umited imo.

Another thing that I notices just recently, I donwnload the meaningful stories mod from roburky which aims to balance out emotions of each sims and make them realistic, in combination of Personality Please Mod. These teo mods combined makes it closer to the Unique sims that the game should have. Emotions had inertia. Say your sim was sad because a friend dies. If you enter a room,
    the emotion wont change because
    negative emotions adds powerful moodlets that the player must overcome in order to have them happy again. This means that when a sim felt something negative, they won't be happy instantly.

There is a base game interaction like "Try to calm down" and "Fry to cheer up" whole this interaction had an upside its upside was its downside. What it does is it instantly removes the negstive moodlet. Your mother sim died and children stsrted crying? Use that that interaction thrn the moodlet eoll be totally gone. They wont be sad anymore, and
    its annoying combining the fact that
    Sims don't have memory. Sure
    you can take picture the parent and
    have them reminiscent or remember that memory, but the fact remains that they don't remember them in a way that it functions was just to give a emotional moodlet, unlike sims 2 where memeries actually impact gameplay.

Agree, more threads about better personalities means more chance to be heard.
    In my opinion, they really need to add back Zodiac Traits, and Turn Ons/Offs.
    I miss when traits actually shaped a Sims' personality.

Zodiacs would be great too. That's so simple to add.

I agree I don't think they can make all ideas here but there is still some stuffs they can do such as like/dislike on activities, attraction system, favourites, zodiacs, memory. They need determination to do it, here is the problem. But I don't see it being a thing so soon because of the number of simmers asking for University, Cars, better babies etc. Always priorities at Maxis, even when a basic thing such as personalities should be upper than all the rest. The Sims isn't The Sims with lackluster sims like this. Hope they could realize it, I'm sure @SimGuruLyndsay is aware, I mean she was a producer on TS2.
    LadyDecaf wrote: »
    Couldn’t agree more with the main ideas and criticisms being presented in this thread. I wish the team would respond to this feedback. It’s a valid conversation to have. A lot of the personality my sims have is only because of my imagination filling in the huge gaps the game leaves.

Traits have failed to differentiate sims from each other.

The happy emotion shouldn't be the default emotion. It's frustrating when they're perpetually happy at home because of nice decorations.

Proper reactions should be implemented. As of now, seeing an enemy results in either no reaction or an inappropriate one like chatting or hugging.

Whims are just random and generic and, as a result, meaningless. It’s a shame they haven’t been reworked to give us a legitimate guide as to what our sims might truly desire.

And a 100x yes to a more complex romance system. Give us turn ons, turn offs and a reputation system for romance where you can be a known as a player, a faithful partner ect.

I also would love to hear their thoughts. At least say us a NO or a YES, but don't less this thread fall on deaf ears...
    I wonder if our sims haven't been fully desensitized to not only protect their 'T' rating but to protect a desensitized generation...

Seasons only contains 4 actual seasons so while any attempt to make personalities revolve around such things would be easy, but could result in turmoil from being too simple. The sims dial seems only to be on a one or ten. My sims, quite literally, drop whatever they are doing to run outside and look at the first snow! If the devs did try to crowbar it in, it might just contain all hate or love for 1/4 of the sim population... perhaps it's a little too complex for them? I hope they can grasp the nuance of such a system and implement something cool...

Don't understand, since when personalities influences the rate? I mean they did it on TS2 & nobody was ''upset''. Sometimes I don't understand Maxis, they treat us like little babies who can be outraged about pretty much everything.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • 12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    New missing radio stations
    • R&B
    • Reggae
    • Calypso
    • College Rock
    edited March 2019
    Freygea wrote: »
    Summary of March 2 until March 10

Likes and dislikes
    • Based on the club activities system
    • Gain it based on what your sim actually does : for some hobbies such as cooking, computer etc you can't gain interest on this except if you have the foodie & geek traits otherwise every sims will love the same activities.
    • The possibility to choose them or make them random with a toggle
    • They should autonomously do their favorite hobbies but it shouldn't be too forced, they should do it when all their needs are full
    • Those preferences should act on their relations, they can discuss those interests with other sims but those who don't like the same things shouldn't agree (like what you did with wheater preferences in Seasons)
    • When you go back home they should do their hobbies instead of watching TV, playing chest etc (only when their needs are full of course)
    • Hobbies should be fun for our sims, like in real life
    • A sim should gain boost on activities he/she likes (if it is a skill) however if this is something a sim doesn't like it should be harder for him to developp this skill

Whims
    • They should be related to what the sim is doing at that time, not random and illogical (sometimes I have sims who want to walk their dog after it died)
    • Related to their traits & what they are living
    • Whims according to their aspirations

Turn on/off
    • The physical ones should affect the relationships & interests should affect friendships
    • Preferences on jobs, hair/eyes color, traits, body type, age, gender, clothes etc
    • Married sims shouldn't always be in love, the relationship should decrease with time, evolution of traits, interests etc

Emotions
    • Decrease the impact of the happy emotion!
    • The ''fine'' emotion should be the base one instead of the happy one
    • Stop the lunatic behaviours : when a sim dies they shouldn't be sad and right after happy cause the house is well decorated & the food was great
    • Auras should be less strong
    • Good balance between emotions ex : a sad sim > he/she didn't eat > stays sad instead of uncomfortable > needs to sleep > becomes very sad instead of very uncomfortable. Make something like the meaningful stories mod!
    • Real gameplay instead of temporary buffs
    • Sims shouldn't flirt with everyone when they are flirty
    • A fear emotion

Traits
    • More slots and a ''random traits'' button
    • Impactful traits & special interactions : only geek sims should always play computer, loner sims shouldn't talk to everybody in the street & they should avoid people (eat at the other table etc), evil sims should autonomously do means interactions etc.
    • More special interactions instead of moodlets. A bookworm should read faster, hate watching TV, gain more fun while reading, love reading to children etc. Lazy sims could have the interactions to lay on the sofa, eat chips on the sofa etc. Not just another ''discuss off'' recycled interaction
    • Every trait should have an opposite

Memory
    • They should remember to who they are married, who was rude etc
    • Sim can be scared of relive a bad memory
    • They should remember big events

Reactions, behaviours & relations
    • A fury and joy system : being mad at someone to the point where the sim can wish to see X dies and Y being fired etc, for the joy system it should be easier to build a friendship, the sim will accept pratically everything, give a lot of money etc. This system should be related to the memory.
    • Better reactions to death, cheat on, enemies etc
    • Reactions related to the traits
    • Parents should be more careful with their children : if they are hungry they should cook, put them to the bed etc.

Wants & fears
    • They should be according to what happens in the life of a sim & the traits of the sim
    • It can have an impact on their emotions, for example a sim can have a breakdown if too many of his/her fears have been realized.

Favorites food, drink, color
    • When a sim wear the color he/she likes, he should be happy (not a strong moodlet)
    • If his/her favorite drink/food is bad quality the sim should be angry/sad according to his/her traits

Extra things
    • Improve the ''away system'' : sims shouldn't be eating breakfest at 9PM, they should fill their needs, do the activities they like, continue sleeping if it's late etc

Wow it took me more than 1 hour to do this. I hope I didn't forget something important. I'm gonna try to do these summaries every Sunday if there's new ideas & I hope it will be useful for you & for the devs. If I make these summaries this is to help you devs, so please look at them & of course the amazing feedbacks in this thread. I'm sorry if there's any mistakes. Thank's again for the support simmers! :wink:

Great summary. I think we all very much appreciate your dedication. I am sorry I have notposted more. Been a bit under the weather. I hope your hard works gets some much needed attention.

Thank you & there's no problems with notposted. :smile: You did it once, even once is a huge participation for me, thank you! I hope too we'll be heard after 4 years lol.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I agree with a lot of what has already been posted. I think my biggest thing is it is really frustrating how much impact the happy emotion has. I really want them to tone that down even if nothing else is done.

Other things that I know have already been mentioned but I’ll give my thoughts on.

-sims never being angry or upset around sims they don’t like. I find this weird and I feel like it could be done some much better with the emotion system. A sim could at least be angry if they are around an enemy right? But they aren’t, they are perfectly fine

-traits having very little impact. Now I’m not sure what needs to change here. Traits could be stronger, but with our current emotion system I’m not sure how much that would help. Trait impact needs to be more distinct but I’m not real sure how to make this happen.

-turn on/turn offs, favorites, etc in CAS. This would help a lot. And not like in sims 3 where they had no impact. If they eat their favorite food it should do something!!

I hope something gets fixed here for sure. With all the posts about personalities going around I’m really hoping the devs see and we see some change with this in the next year.
  • MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    edited March 2019
    I use mods for a lot of these things, but it would really be nice if they were already included in the game.
    I have a No Happy Environment mod that I use and have downloaded over 100 new traits to spice up my gameplay. I love mods, though I realize that not everyone does. It would be nice if even those who chose or have to play vanilla could have options like these as well.
    It might be too late to change the whole system, though. Hopefully they put sole of these things into Sims 5 when that eventually comes out.
  • rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member

Cheers!
    Agreed we need an overhaul i find it so annoying that sims don’t really seem mad when there fighting this even happens when a sim cheats. In the sims 3 if they found out there spouse was cheating hellfire would unleash and it took a lot of time to regain the relationship wich is great bc just as in real life actions have consequences for some reason ts4 doesnt. Maybe this is bc they want for us to decide everyrhing that happens in game but i personally love when the game throws me for a loop or provides consequences for the actions my sims take.
    I’m really really really hoping they change this i just think we need to keep talking about it until they fix this bc it needs to be fixed
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    @Jordan061102 sorry for the morale lesson but sometime you need to realise that when it comes to the sims game not all players are the same for me as a plyer i find no use for mention features in the game since i prefer to keep my sims single the only way i would not mind said featuress as a player is if they have toggles to turn them off in game options
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    sorry for the morale lesson but sometime you need to realize that when it comes to the sims game not all players are the same
    @friendlysimmers

edited March 2019
    @Jordan061102 sorry for the morale lesson but sometime you need to realise that when it comes to the sims game not all players are the same for me as a plyer i find no use for mention features in the game since i prefer to keep my sims single the only way i would not mind said featuress as a player is if they have toggles to turn them off in game options

That's your opinion. You're the only one in my thread who disagree with everything. I think it's maybe time to move on to another thread? 🤷‍♂️
    mannanna wrote: »
    sorry for the morale lesson but sometime you need to realize that when it comes to the sims game not all players are the same
    @friendlysimmers

Haha thank's. :smiley:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • XwantonXwanton Posts: 85 Member
    A lot of great ideas in the summary and I think they cover a lot of it. I'll just back up the ones that come to mind for me.

The overwhelming "Happy" mood is a big problem. Grant tweeted that they have talked about tweaking it, so I do hope that comes to fruition.

The lack of personalised reactions is another issue. As I pointed out in the other thread, Unflirty sims become flirty from watching Romance on TV. I'm not saying the flirty emotion should be banned from them, but it should have fewer methods of triggering, and they should make sense. Don't make hot headed sims get angry randomly: make them angry when they break something or if something goes wrong.

Questionable Sim AI: getting sims to fight is stupidly difficult because mid-argument they'll autonomously start being nice to each other again! This one really needs fixing. I saw another mention for lack of reactions to enemies - that was something TS3 did well! They'd always start complaining if their enemy was in the vicinity, and it was a nice touch.

Favourites. Sims already can have a favourite drink. Except we can't pick it ourselves (apart from with MCCC, which is obviously a mod)! And weirdly they can have water as a favourite drink. But yes, bring back favourite food and music as well.

A Seasons specific one: why do sims younger than adult ignore certain things? Some of them make sense, but why would they ignore the Grand Meal tradition? We all like eating! Let's not restrict access to things for child sims just because.

A fear emotion! Very odd that it wasn't in from the beginning. It's one of the most significant emotions.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them right now. I'll be back if they come to mind!
    edited March 2019
    Xwanton wrote: »
    A lot of great ideas in the summary and I think they cover a lot of it. I'll just back up the ones that come to mind for me.

The overwhelming "Happy" mood is a big problem. Grant tweeted that they have talked about tweaking it, so I do hope that comes to fruition.

The lack of personalised reactions is another issue. As I pointed out in the other thread, Unflirty sims become flirty from watching Romance on TV. I'm not saying the flirty emotion should be banned from them, but it should have fewer methods of triggering, and they should make sense. Don't make hot headed sims get angry randomly: make them angry when they break something or if something goes wrong.

Questionable Sim AI: getting sims to fight is stupidly difficult because mid-argument they'll autonomously start being nice to each other again! This one really needs fixing. I saw another mention for lack of reactions to enemies - that was something TS3 did well! They'd always start complaining if their enemy was in the vicinity, and it was a nice touch.

Favourites. Sims already can have a favourite drink. Except we can't pick it ourselves (apart from with MCCC, which is obviously a mod)! And weirdly they can have water as a favourite drink. But yes, bring back favourite food and music as well.

A Seasons specific one: why do sims younger than adult ignore certain things? Some of them make sense, but why would they ignore the Grand Meal tradition? We all like eating! Let's not restrict access to things for child sims just because.

A fear emotion! Very odd that it wasn't in from the beginning. It's one of the most significant emotions.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them right now. I'll be back if they come to mind!

I didn't know they talked about decrease the effect of the happy emotion, can someone share the tweet? I never found it, anyway I hope it will be a thing as soon as possible.

Oh yeah, the lack of personalised reactions is a big problem. It doesn't let us to have distinct sims with logical reactions related to their traits and it increases the feeling of lackluster sims. Like you said, why is it so easy for an unflirty sim to be flirty? Just by watching TV? I mean seriously... Like I said before, this trait doesn't change anything to the actual gameplay. This is easy to flirt with an unflirty sim, by the way it's so easy to flirt with everyone in TS4. There is just no challenge... I agree for what you said about hot-heated sims as well. Sometimes I feel exasperated to always have to explain what kind of logical reactions we are expecting in a life simulation game. I mean, devs should know how people react in real life? You guys are not so different than us, you're human beings just like us, so please give our sims the reactions you also have in real life.

And the state of "enemies" eventho we can't even call them enemies at that moment, this is so depressing. In TS4 sims are programmed to be happy, like everybody and be perfectly perfect. Life isn't like that Maxis.

I really hope something is on the works now because The Sims 4 just can not end with blank sims like it is the case now...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • XwantonXwanton Posts: 85 Member
    I didn't know they talked about decrease the effect of the happy emotion, can someone share the tweet? I never found it, anyway I hope it will be a thing as soon as possible.

He said it here:

I hope they do consider it more. I find that the fine emotion doesn't appear that often and I think that should be the default instead of happy. Also, I think the negative moodlets should boost each other, such as uncomfortable boosting sad or angry.
    Xwanton wrote: »

He said it here:

I hope they do consider it more. I find that the fine emotion doesn't appear that often and I think that should be the default instead of happy. Also, I think the negative moodlets should boost each other, such as uncomfortable boosting sad or angry.

I think too negative moodlets should have more impact, like the happy one. They need to take inspiration from the meaningful stories mod.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,669 Member
    edited March 2019
    I think emotional dead is too easily, or least to non-elder

I strongly agree the better reactions. A person without insane/erratic, sudden laugh because of happy, no playful, it's kinda weird somewhere

More details of personality. Such as only neat and squeamish will wash hands autonomously after used toilet, erratic sims more erratic(such as can"speak maddness"). Some traits not conflict, such as childish/snob, mean/good(like TS3, opposite to hypocrite)…But it need some processing of emotions
    More traits can choose, it's said too lots. And fear emotion, brave/coward/daredevil traits. Brave sim are less fear(but not definitely), they have higher chance won't panic in emergencies, if trained(Specified level in military, firefighter, law enforcement, etc. include former careers) or have abnormal traits(erratic, daredevil), they won't panic definitely(daredevil will happy). Coward is opposite to brave but they can't death of fear. Daredevil will fear in "no exciting but creepy" situations(such as graveyard, but brave won't fear)

The eating speed
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns