Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What the heck?

Comments

• 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I reiterate the person you quoted, this really isn’t a big deal. The number of 32bit players is negligible, or else this wouldn’t be happening. I don’t see why people suddenly want to jump on Maxis for dropping support for something I thought would be dropped long ago when they upgraded the base code. It’s about time IMO.

I think some of the anger (especially from people who are not directly effected ) probably has more to do with the fact that this probably means that Sims 4 is going to be around for a while yet instead of Sims 5 coming out soon then actually being upset about the change...
    ~ ~ ~
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    All the people saying this doesn't matter and that it's great are the same people who said before that it's great that this game can work on lower end computers. Smh....

It still does. I have a very very low end computer bought 2 years ago. Cheapest Dell laptop I could get, and it is 64 bit. I don't think 32 bit have been sold in years at all. This will work on all low end computers bought in the past quite a few years. I do feel bad for those it won't work for, but honestly if their PC's are that old, they likely aren't safe to use now for other reasons too unfortunately :(. I hope ppl that want to, will be able to upgrade even if just to a newer low-end computer
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I'm actually quite stoked about this change to ts4's requirements. I think that this will hasten its conclusion faster than anything. Unfortunately, this will also likely require less time for ts5 to become a quality game... and so the circling down will continue. Paradoxically... <ahem> this may be the best setting for a competitor to come onto the stage.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    From what I can gather by researching for PCs is that you would have had to have purchased a computer in 2008/09 (Windows XP) or earlier to have an OS that would not support an upgrade to a 64 bit system. If your PC was purchased in 2010 or later it should from everything I've read be able to be switched to 64 bits and for not a lot of expense, depending as far as I can tell on available memory.

It would seem odds are if you were able to purchase and play C&D when those specs changed then you likely will survive this change too. I hope this is reassuring to many, and if I'm incorrect and someone knows better please correct me. :)
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    All the people saying this doesn't matter and that it's great are the same people who said before that it's great that this game can work on lower end computers. Smh....

What a sweeping generalization, and frankly I disagree. The decision to not only support, but actively tailor the game to low end machines has never made any sense. Seriously. It made even less sense when they upgraded the base game to 64bit and did virtually nothing with that for the longest time.

Just because they sold this game on the mindset that it could run on a modded toaster doesn’t mean they actually snatched up a bunch of players who fit into that market. Even if they did, there’s no guarantee that they’ve been buying content regularly. Let’s not forget the “excuse” that’s tossed around for having such old hardware is the “high” cost of buying a new one or upgrading; if they can’t find money to better their machine I don’t suppose the money for Sims packs comes along any easier.

This whole thing seems to be being blown out of proportion by people who frankly have hated on the game being 32bit for years and are now suddenly speaking up for the little guy when it’s being dropped. This is not a big deal, if the game had a huge pool of 32bit players then that would be different, but clearly if they can drop support for that in mid-2019 they clearly don’t stand to lose much. As someone who is NOT a huge fan of Sims 4, or virtually anything they have done with the game thus far, this is a good thing. Doesn’t mean they’re going to take the game in a better direction, but at least what they make now won’t be tailored to near-obsolete hardware.
    3KNPen wrote: »
    I reiterate the person you quoted, this really isn’t a big deal. The number of 32bit players is negligible, or else this wouldn’t be happening. I don’t see why people suddenly want to jump on Maxis for dropping support for something I thought would be dropped long ago when they upgraded the base code. It’s about time IMO.

I think some of the anger (especially from people who are not directly effected ) probably has more to do with the fact that this probably means that Sims 4 is going to be around for a while yet instead of Sims 5 coming out soon then actually being upset about the change...

That really shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. The studio has said multiple times over the past year they have a 3 year roadmap already in place. TS4 wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon; and a successor definitely is not coming out anytime in the near future. The removal of 32bit support was something the studio knew was going to happen eventually and I would bet that it’s already factored into the 3 year roadmap they mentioned. This isn’t going to extent the game any longer than it’s already planned to go.
  • skylerxoskylerxo Posts: 7 New Member
    If this upgrade means we'll be moving onto Sims 5 sooner, then I don't mind upgrading. Many had to upgrade when transitioning from S2 to S3, but not many had to for S4. I think EA has been very understanding to us with dinosaur PC's, it's 2019, the game specs should reflect the times we live in. Compare other EA games with the Sims 4's graphics and it just feels like a smoother Sims 2. I want a game that can handle reflective floors & highly detailed sims.
    skylerxo wrote: »
    If this upgrade means we'll be moving onto Sims 5 sooner, then I don't mind upgrading. Many had to upgrade when transitioning from S2 to S3, but not many had to for S4. I think EA has been very understanding to us with dinosaur PC's, it's 2019, the game specs should reflect the times we live in. Compare other EA games with the Sims 4's graphics and it just feels like a smoother Sims 2. I want a game that can handle reflective floors & highly detailed sims.

It doesn’t mean that, and there is no upgrade happening to The Sims 4. They upgraded the base game to 64bit in 2015 before the release of Get Together. Since then they have actively developed the 64bit game as if it was 32bit, all they are doing now is taking advantage of the upgrade they made years ago.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I'm sorry for the people who can't continue to buy new things but I'm happy they make this change. Finally The Sims will no longer be seen like a game for people with a 1990 computers. I think it's a direction in the right way, we may get bigger worlds, updates & packs with this update.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • MarinaDPOMarinaDPO Posts: 6 New Member
    I must admit I was super shocked to hear the news, all this time they've been making certain in-game decisions such as smaller worlds, lack of customization and using the whole performance thing as a reason. Now that they've made this decision does that mean that smaller worlds and a general lack of things cannot be excused?
  • LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member

Its people that take always EA's side and don't understand how many players are affected with things like this...
  • Marina1997marinaMarina1997marina Posts: 12 New Member
    Stop supporting 32 bit will also affect the ones that have 64bit os if they play with the 32bit version. Not all of us can afford updating our hardware. Before the release of laundry stuff they did polls. And it was a stuff pack. Why they don't do one now? It's just unfair.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I believe they are working on TS5 and it will take a few more years. They have to get Origin ready for it. It will be more to My liking. :lol::cookie::naughty:
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    They had to do it - with the way this game is dependent on Video card updates and the video card companies like Nvidia - etc that stopped support of 32 bit computer last year - never mind Apple stopping support of 32 bit computers - you could no longer get security updates nor Video game updates - so EA, like many of the other studios had no choice but also drop 32 bit support seeing the machines could no longer be updated or made secure. They are technically viruses ready to happen and no decent company could or should support that. When machines become a hazard because they cannot have updates then they need to get the machines to stop using the game.

I would never suggest anyone who can no longer get proper updates to run that computer - not ever.

If a game needs updated video cards like this one does on a regular bases - and can't get them - then that computer has done it's time and needs to be retired.

EA is even making a Legacy system for the people who just can't afford an update - to keep them having the abilty to play the games they paid for - for FREE. Say what you will about EA and greed but if you ask me that is a very nice and ungreedy thing to do of EA, when they do not have too. I have a trunk full of games from over many years of gaming that are no longer playable unless one has older pcs and not one of the companies I have these games from ever gave me a legacy system to use so I could play the old games on my always newer pcs (I frequently rebuild my pcs every 3 years so I never have an old system) - I am just flat out of luck if I want to play any of my old games.

EA is also the only company that gave me a new complete download of my Sims 2 after Windows made it impossible for me to play that game any longer. When window 10 came out - they scurried to give us an update on that free version of Sims 2 - as well as an update for Sims 3 and Sims 3 CAW - again something they did not have to do, but they did. A few years ago they also made it possible for me to play my old Scrabble game that would not even play on Windows 7 as EA owns Hasbro which owned my scrabble game. Not once did EA have to do these things - never mind for free - and very few companies I know of has ever done this - other wise I would not have a trunk full of unplayable games today - now would I?

Perhaps many of you misjudge EA more times than you notice and ignore the times they prove they are not as greedy as you think. Not support 32 bit - as it has no support from it's OS and many video cards is actually a kindness - giving you a Legacy system for free is even kinder - and something no publisher has to do, and I guarantee you many do not even try. I have a trunk of games that prove that.

EA put out some of their casual games on mobile (namely Risk and Sudoku) but they didn't get updated for (I think it was) iOS 10. Should check the App Store and see if they ever got updated -- I wouldn't mind putting Risk especially on my iPad mini.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)

It still does. I have a very very low end computer bought 2 years ago. Cheapest Dell laptop I could get, and it is 64 bit. I don't think 32 bit have been sold in years at all. This will work on all low end computers bought in the past quite a few years. I do feel bad for those it won't work for, but honestly if their PC's are that old, they likely aren't safe to use now for other reasons too unfortunately :(. I hope ppl that want to, will be able to upgrade even if just to a newer low-end computer

I got my laptop about 3 years ago -- it was 32-bit when I got it but I could upgrade it to 64-bit when I upgraded to either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. (Interesting note on why companies like Apple and Microsoft skip the number 9 when developing OS; apparently 9 is an unlucky number in Asian culture so they skip it for the Asian markets.)
    I'm sorry for the people who can't continue to buy new things but I'm happy they make this change. Finally The Sims will no longer be seen like a game for people with a 1990 computers. I think it's a direction in the right way, we may get bigger worlds, updates & packs with this update.

The main feature of going with 64-bit is that you have better memory management, which means better performance -- maybe that will even help combat the simulation lag that many players notice. While I do feel for those who can't invest in new hardware right now (though a 64-bit OS will help with performance in other areas, especially if you're doing any sort of image manipulation like Photoshop), EA/Maxis has to do what's best for the majority of the players, and they've probably got stats that show that those on 64-bit systems vastly outnumber those still on 32-bit.

Maybe one reason we haven't had patches in some of the months (though we got two patches in February) is because they're working on fixing all the outstanding bugs, so that the Legacy players will have a working game. Likely also means no new content until after June, so more chance for them to work on bug fixes which will benefit both the Legacy players and the entire Sims community.

The main feature of going with 64-bit is that you have better memory management, which means better performance -- maybe that will even help combat the simulation lag that many players notice. While I do feel for those who can't invest in new hardware right now (though a 64-bit OS will help with performance in other areas, especially if you're doing any sort of image manipulation like Photoshop), EA/Maxis has to do what's best for the majority of the players, and they've probably got stats that show that those on 64-bit systems vastly outnumber those still on 32-bit.

Maybe one reason we haven't had patches in some of the months (though we got two patches in February) is because they're working on fixing all the outstanding bugs, so that the Legacy players will have a working game. Likely also means no new content until after June, so more chance for them to work on bug fixes which will benefit both the Legacy players and the entire Sims community.

Yeah, I hope ALL bugs will be fixed. It would be a shame for TS4 Legacy players to have a buggy game and knowing that it will never be fixed.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    Some bugs may linger, if they're related to poor memory management or other issues native to 32-bit (for example, C&D crashes if you try to make a large dog in CAS in 32-bit which is why 64-bit is recommended for that pack).
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    If companies didn't create, innovate and move on, we wouldn't have the technology we have now. Why should a developer, any developer, stick with technology that is decades old when newer, faster, better technology is already out there and readily available in the most basic, cheapest computers? Why should they hold back on developing a product for the modern market? Developers are increasingly dropping 32-bit versions of software because it holds back the ability to better the software they are working on. The majority of us have 64-bit systems. Sometimes you have to cut loose the deadwood in order to move forward and grow. Harsh but true.

I'm sorry for those who can't upgrade their machines to 64-bit but there comes a day for all of us when our computers become outdated and we have to face the fact that we either go without or stump up for a new one.

32-bit users will still be able to play the game, but their game has now come to an end and they will not be able to add anymore to it. Like when Sims 1 was retired. And Sims 2. And Sims 3. And every other game ever created that has since ceased production. The online features are an additional add on, not an integral part of gameplay.
    apple-signature.png
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    I'm sorry for all affected players, but at the same time I'm surprised how many people want to play this most expensive videogame with its 176 packs on computers from 1998.
    If companies didn't create, innovate and move on, we wouldn't have the technology we have now. Why should a developer, any developer, stick with technology that is decades old when newer, faster, better technology is already out there and readily available in the most basic, cheapest computers? Why should they hold back on developing a product for the modern market? Developers are increasingly dropping 32-bit versions of software because it holds back the ability to better the software they are working on. The majority of us have 64-bit systems. Sometimes you have to cut loose the deadwood in order to move forward and grow. Harsh but true.

I'm sorry for those who can't upgrade their machines to 64-bit but there comes a day for all of us when our computers become outdated and we have to face the fact that we either go without or stump up for a new one.

32-bit users will still be able to play the game, but their game has now come to an end and they will not be able to add anymore to it. Like when Sims 1 was retired. And Sims 2. And Sims 3. And every other game ever created that has since ceased production. The online features are an additional add on, not an integral part of gameplay.

I agree.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    I'm sorry for all affected players, but at the same time I'm surprised how many people want to play this most expensive videogame with its 176 packs on computers from 1998.

It's funny, really. People who still use 32-bit machines today need to get their priorities straight. The PC they play TS4 on is literally worth less than a TS4 pack. Try sell a 32-bit machine (which surely is from more than a decade ago) on Craigslist or something and you won't even get 40 bucks for it.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Stop supporting 32 bit will also affect the ones that have 64bit os if they play with the 32bit version. Not all of us can afford updating our hardware. Before the release of laundry stuff they did polls. And it was a stuff pack. Why they don't do one now? It's just unfair.

They don't have to Origin already tells them exactly what you are running and what version. Every time you start the game Origin has recorded what you are running and what your IP is. They do not need to physically hear from us about our pcs - they have the telemetry that tells them all about your pc.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Marina1997marinaMarina1997marina Posts: 12 New Member
    > @Writin_Reg said:
    > Marina1997marina wrote: »
    >
    > Stop supporting 32 bit will also affect the ones that have 64bit os if they play with the 32bit version. Not all of us can afford updating our hardware. Before the release of laundry stuff they did polls. And it was a stuff pack. Why they don't do one now? It's just unfair.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > They don't have to Origin already tells them exactly what you are running and what version. Every time you start the game Origin has recorded what you are running and what your IP is. They do not need to physically hear from us about our pcs - they have the telemetry that tells them all about your pc.

They may have record of our pcs but not from our bank accounts. How many of the 32bit users or 64bit playing as 32bit will be able to keep up with the new requirements? I have a 64bit pc that can only play the 32bit version or it closes. And for sure i won't be able to find 200 or 300 euros in the next three months in order to upgraded my pc. Sims was a way to keep my mind of my health problems and now will be taken away from me. It's just sad.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I also want to add, while is may be both good and bad. People fail to realize this that SOME people may not be able to afford a new computer and I find this very upsetting for those people, my heart hurts for them...and while the decision is probably for good intentions , I wish people could sympathize with the others that can't....