Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What the heck?

Comments

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    mika wrote: »
    I honestly don't know which my laptop is, I recently got it in December and I'm hoping I won't have to replace it

If you just bought it in December it should be fine. If you're on Windows you can check Settings -> System -> About and scroll down to System Info; if it says 64 bit you're good to go. (My current laptop is 64 bit and I bought it all the way back in 2016 -- I'm hoping to get a new one this year that's a bit lighter (hoping to do some traveling but don't want to leave my Sims at home!).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    The specs of a low end machine back in 2014 when the game was released differ significantly to what is regarded as a low end machine now. 32-bit is old technology and has been for years. It’s time to move on and that unfortunately means leaving some people behind, no matter what software or platform you're dealing with.
    apple-signature.png
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    While this doesn’t affect me I think it’s shocking that players who have to use the legacy edition will not get any more patches. I dread to think what state they will leave the game in.

We could see a couple of major patches featuring bug fixes in April and May to prepare for it -- Legacy Edition will likely also be fully patched. The big issue will be for mod developers and CC creators -- will they want to have a separate upload available for Legacy players? Technically it should be simple (just keep the final files pre-Legacy available) but for some bandwidth could be an issue.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don't think they should be praised for giving up supporting the game mid way through its cycle and giving people the Legacy Edition.

How kind of them to allow people to play their game they may have spent up to £500 on! Soo generous.

I can play the sims 1-3 without EA. In fact patch 1.69 is not liked by many, many sims 3 simmers. I still play off disc.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    I don't think they should be praised for giving up supporting the game mid way through its cycle and giving people the Legacy Edition.

How kind of them to allow people to play their game they may have spent up to £500 on! Soo generous.

I can play the sims 1-3 without EA. In fact patch 1.69 is not liked by many, many sims 3 simmers. I still play off disc.

So you believe it is great not to have security updates or get your video card updated if you have a Nvidia card or one of the others who can't get updates for their 32 bit system and this game any more?

I still have the disks as well - I just prefer going through Origin - and Window 10 Home does not play the Sims 1 disk at all.

Since the last update patch for Sims 3 - I have not experienced any problem using Sims 3. But to each there own. I just would never consider encouraging someone to play an unsecure pc on the net - unless they never go anywhere on the net but play the sims and even that I also would not encourage. But hey - that's me, apparently not you.

At least EA is making sure they can use the game they spent all that money on - when not every company does that. As I said I can show you hundreds of dollar of disks I can't play for that very reason - many companies do not make it possible.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2019

I mean those games were made in 32bit computers. You can still play what you payed for with TS4, you just won't be able to play newer DLC which will require the game to access more memory. Would you rather the game crash every time you access one of the newer worlds past StrangerVille?

TS4 is now a 5 year old game and it's life cycle as an iteration is not over yet. In the past this would be it's last year. The fact that they are cutting off support for 32 bits makes every sense if the game is to continue. Just as if they'd make a new game now it would likely not support 32 bit computers. Making this change means this game will likely have support for much longer.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I think it's the best decision they made for this game, I hated that they were "worried" about low end pc's, that's one of the main reasons the game has so many bugs, I hope this leads us to better packs.

I agree with this ^
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    well honestly as a player i see nothing wrong with this pretty sure my actual pc will be able to handle the sims4 64 bits is the the softwear use now for games so i honestly see no point in complaining
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I wonder if this means an acknowledgement that you do need proper equipment to run a game like this. From my perspective that simply isn’t a bad thing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    It sold on being able to run on your Grandma's computer... if it can't anymore then it seems reasonable it should be ending for the "New Age" computers.

What's bad is that there are no more Updates for older computers. People can still play the game but they don't get any more support. :sadness:
    edited March 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

So you believe it is great not to have security updates or get your video card updated if you have a Nvidia card or one of the others who can't get updates for their 32 bit system and this game any more?

I still have the disks as well - I just prefer going through Origin - and Window 10 Home does not play the Sims 1 disk at all.

Since the last update patch for Sims 3 - I have not experienced any problem using Sims 3. But to each there own. I just would never consider encouraging someone to play an unsecure pc on the net - unless they never go anywhere on the net but play the sims and even that I also would not encourage. But hey - that's me, apparently not you.

At least EA is making sure they can use the game they spent all that money on - when not every company does that. As I said I can show you hundreds of dollar of disks I can't play for that very reason - many companies do not make it possible.

It’s nothing to do with security, that’s a separate issue.

I’m not impacted. Both our PCs are high end gaming PCs built for gaming with specs way higher than the sims 4.

I choose to run the sims 3 on patch 1.67 as I don’t believe EA should be running their programme in the background whilst I play my game. I don’t need their programme. Unfortunately I do for sims 2 since they tied it to origin. But I run the sims 1 and 3 with no problems on Windows 10 with no support from EA.

My point you have completely missed is EA isn’t some generous being by allowing people to play with their content - so they should! People paid for that content! And giving EA don’t have a great reputation for patching their games adequately with many bugs still persisting after many months and patches, I can’t help but think the Legacy edition will be left in a right mess. But hey, it’s history repeating itself. Look at the sims 3.

Edit to add- where the heck have I encouraged anyone to play on an unsecure Pc? Oh wait, I haven’t.

I accept EA have their reasons. But, as I have said, do I think the legacy version will be a great version with no bugs? Hell no.

Do I think it’s generous of them to allow people to play with content they have purchased? No, sorry.
    Post edited by MidnightAura on
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    At first without knowing the reason behind the change I was shocked at what EA/Maxis did, but upon reading more I believe EA/Maxis may be justified on this one being there were forces outside of thier company that was the driving forces behind the change and sadly some folks may be affected by it. I now see it as an good thing and at the same time I feel for others that may not be able to make the upgrade as fast as others. However the writing was on the wall that 64 bit was becoming more dominant as other companies embraced it. OSes can influence changes sooner or later as seen.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GemSixxGemSixx Posts: 144 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    It sold on being able to run on your Grandma's computer...

It also sold on it being "Smarter Sims"...

Why does anyone believe anything they promise anymore?

Completely done with EA

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    @GemSixx wrote: »
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    It sold on being able to run on your Grandma's computer...

It also sold on it being "Smarter Sims"...

Why does anyone believe anything they promise anymore?

Many people believe these Sims are smarter. :lol:
    Also, New People.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    This isnt a big deal at all.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    I thought TS4 was suppose to work on lower end computers? Good grief, they even went back on this claim! This iteration, hands down, has got to be the worst EVER.

THIS! This I thought when the Sims 4 came out first thing that it was for lower end computers because TS3 was so HARD on some people's computer so they decdied to back down a bit so more people could play. SMH, even though I am not affected but I can't help but feel bad for people who won't be able to buy more packs or get updates...in my honest opinion this is kinda of a d*ck move...and if you want to continue to play it with the upcoming content, you gotta shell out more money for a new PC, imo TS4 isn't worth a new PC...but that's just my opinion.

Yes, but it came out in 2014.

Computers affected by this are (correct me if I'm wrong) eight years old or more.

I agree I don't think anyone should buy a whole new computer just for this game, but if your computer is old enough to be in third grade, you're probably going to need to upgrade it soon whether you play The Sims or not.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I’m not impacted. Both our PCs are high end gaming PCs built for gaming with specs way higher than the sims 4.

I choose to run the sims 3 on patch 1.67 as I don’t believe EA should be running their programme in the background whilst I play my game. I don’t need their programme. Unfortunately I do for sims 2 since they tied it to origin. But I run the sims 1 and 3 with no problems on Windows 10 with no support from EA.

My point you have completely missed is EA isn’t some generous being by allowing people to play with their content - so they should! People paid for that content! And giving EA don’t have a great reputation for patching their games adequately with many bugs still persisting after many months and patches, I can’t help but think the Legacy edition will be left in a right mess. But hey, it’s history repeating itself. Look at the sims 3.

Edit to add- where the heck have I encouraged anyone to play on an unsecure Pc? Oh wait, I haven’t.

I accept EA have their reasons. But, as I have said, do I think the legacy version will be a great version with no bugs? Hell no.

Do I think it’s generous of them to allow people to play with content they have purchased? No, sorry.
    Exactly. That’s the whole difference between buying and renting. Renting has a different price tag than buying.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Exactly. That’s the whole difference between buying and renting. Renting has a different price tag than buying.

And essentially we are just renting the game. Apparently we shouldn’t expect support for a game through its life cycle. That’s asking too much.
    They are going to leave the legacy edition in a right mess, I’m calling it now. Because history has taught us that’s what they do.
    Hell this game has bugs that are years old! Current sims 4 players should take note: When the sims 4 does eventually end they will get the exact same treatment and be left with bugs.

I’ve been simming for 19 years, since the beginning. I’ve saw this movie, got the t shirt. At this stage I don’t even believe it will Benefit the game longer term with larger worlds or better performance. The game is what it is. The Python update didn’t stop bugs- the aging bug came about after that update, the game still has many minor (for me, but major for others) bugs which will only increase as they Stuff more content and patches into it.

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Drakos wrote: »

Not to you but can't say the same for those that must now pay to upgrade and some may not have the money to do so.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    About time too. EA should have upped the specifications for the game at the start. I thought they didn't expect it to last long. I kept upgrading my PCs to keep up with The Sims's games but even a gaming one needs mods for Sims 3 which is 32bit. I am sorry for those kids who aren't allowed to use their parent's machines but get given their old one to play on. It's not easy for some families to afford buying new ones all the time.
    I wonder how many new machines will get sold or upgraded to cope? It's all a cunning plan for Apple and Microsoft to sell more laptops. (Joke). How about EA offering any new packs with a voucher discount for a new machine?
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Drakos wrote: »

Not to you but can't say the same for those that must now pay to upgrade and some may not have the money to do so.

Then they shouldn’t be buying Sims games. Honestly, if someone can’t afford to replace a desktop computer at any time in 10+ years, then they do not need to be buying video games for it. They certainly shouldn’t complain that their old hardware is no longer supported, it’s a marvel it was supported as long as it was.

I reiterate the person you quoted, this really isn’t a big deal. The number of 32bit players is negligible, or else this wouldn’t be happening. I don’t see why people suddenly want to jump on Maxis for dropping support for something I thought would be dropped long ago when they upgraded the base code. It’s about time IMO.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    have you ever tough about taking information on how much it would cost to upgrade an older pc from 32 bits to 64 bits might not cvost that much depending on what needs to be upgraded and if you do not went to spend some money then just look at this link that i am providing https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-32-bit-64-bit-version-windows-10
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    All the people saying this doesn't matter and that it's great are the same people who said before that it's great that this game can work on lower end computers. Smh....