Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something I've noticed about the social worker...

So if you let a child starve, or get him/her an F in school, he/she will eventually be taken away by the social worker. I've been thinking about this since this morning, and I remember the one time I went into the tuning to check it out, and found this in the child-neglect tracker:
  <V n="commodity_failure" t="enabled">
    <U n="enabled">
      <L n="failure_interactions">
        <T>98476<!--DeathSuperInteraction: rescueNeglectedChild--></T>
      </L>
      <U n="threshold">
        <E n="comparison">LESS_OR_EQUAL</E>
      </U>
    </U>
  </V>
...wait, what? The child rescue is a death?
This raises some serious implications about the social worker O.o... considering it's labeled a permanent death. Like they have some kind of annihilator that not only destroys the sim, but the ghost as well. Keeps costs down, I guess. Maybe I'd feel better about it if children who got taken away got added to the pool of potential walkby's instead of getting deleted...

Comments

• PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    Okay, who had the idea that a social worker should be labelled as a death type?!

In my opinion it would be nicer if the child was added to the adoption list, so we could play another household and adopt the child there, which would retain all relationships and family ties.
  • AnduarAnduar Posts: 156 Member
    Wow, i didn't know it was all that serious. I have a mod that makings having F's okay, though.
    I should be nicer to my sims kids >.>
  • Hadron1776Hadron1776 Posts: 330 Member
    And don't think that killing your kids via other means will save him from the social worker: he'll be more than happy to take ghosts, too. (Neglect and Netherworld are the only death types that bypass the can_die check). Ghosts returning to the netherworld and "dying" that way is fine; it makes sense. Dying from getting bad grades is just wrong.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Death by low grades :D what a society.
    Okay, who had the idea that a social worker should be labelled as a death type?!

In my opinion it would be nicer if the child was added to the adoption list, so we could play another household and adopt the child there, which would retain all relationships and family ties.

Yes I remember how in the sims 2 if a kid was taken away from one household if you adopted with a latter household you could get the other households kid. I thought it was a really nice touch and now that we have a more connected world in that you can travel to all the different neighborhoods it makes sense that you could see your adopted out kids because well in real life kids don't just vanish off the face of the earth when the social workers come.(Or die, usually that isn't the goal of adoption programs cause that's awful)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Maybe it could be a full stop so that it could be worked on later? There could be a social worker career path and an childrens' home where you could pursuade Sims to adopt? etc.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited May 2017
    It's probably their word for gone completely. Poof. With that wacky sense of humor coder twist.
    Personally I do wish they could find a way to adopt kids out too but I'm not offended by what it is... The code is all powerful. I'm still just surrounding a pool with a fence. Heck even when I release a ghost to the netherworld they still say on my sims panel of relationships... I feel so inferior :(.
    egTcBMc.png
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Technically it's a case of gameplay and story segregation. Storywise the children are supposed to go to some adoption center in another town, but in coding they took the easy way out.

I didn't like this mechanic with it's unfortunate implications right from the beginning and would very much prefer the old adding to adoption pool solution from Sims 2 (and 3?). For some time there was a mod around that allowed children to die from starvation and leave a ghost so that they could be resurrected later. I think it's unsupported or broken now.
  • Hadron1776Hadron1776 Posts: 330 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Heck even when I release a ghost to the netherworld they still say on my sims panel of relationships...
    Neglect and netherworld types both bypass the immortality check, but only neglect causes permanent deletion

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Hadron1776 wrote: »
    Heck even when I release a ghost to the netherworld they still say on my sims panel of relationships...
    Neglect and netherworld types both bypass the immortality check, but only neglect causes permanent deletion

Yes I get that. I was tickled by what they called it is all. I'm not offended. I only wish I could could permanently delete some ghosts that are taking up space on the relationship panel.
    egTcBMc.png
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    Technically it's a case of gameplay and story segregation. Storywise the children are supposed to go to some adoption center in another town, but in coding they took the easy way out.

I didn't like this mechanic with it's unfortunate implications right from the beginning and would very much prefer the old adding to adoption pool solution from Sims 2 (and 3?). For some time there was a mod around that allowed children to die from starvation and leave a ghost so that they could be resurrected later. I think it's unsupported or broken now.

@EnkiSchmidt If you mean the "Children can die of anything" mod, it's actually being updated on simsworkshop now. Just like all TS4 mods of that creator.
    https://simsworkshop.net/resources/simstopics-children-can-die-of-anything.33/
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member

@EnkiSchmidt If you mean the "Children can die of anything" mod, it's actually being updated on simsworkshop now. Just like all TS4 mods of that creator.
    https://simsworkshop.net/resources/simstopics-children-can-die-of-anything.33/

Yes, that's the one, thank you for posting the adress! I like how they keep the files for older game versions available (1.27 in my case).
    Crazy as it sounds, installing kids-killing mods is the way to keep them save :D
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Hadron1776 wrote: »

Social worker has a powerful mind and granted with the ability to use the Ultimate Nullifier
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    I use MCCC, lucky this mod have send orphans other family!
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I can’t believe Thanos is a social worker!
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    well the kid disappears instead of being placed somewhere else or be put in the adoption pool. I guess now we know why.
  • Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    I think when a child is taken away, they should be put in the adoption pool.
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    I kinda like the logic :D
    "We are the social worker ! Your child is starving ? This is bad parenting so we are going to take him to rescue him ... by killing him."
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    "We are the social worker ! Your child is starving ? This is bad parenting so we are going to take him to rescue him ... by killing him."
    well the kid's not suffering anymore.

I just imagine the social working suffocating them with a pillow like, shh shh, it will all be over soon....

• InsularFLYInsularFLY Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Hadron1776 said:
    > So if you let a child starve, or get him/her an F in school, he/she will eventually be taken away by the social worker. I've been thinking about this since this morning, and I remember the one time I went into the tuning to check it out, and found this in the child-neglect tracker: <u> 98476 <u> LESS_OR_EQUAL </u> </u>
    >
    > ...wait, what? The child rescue is a death?
    > This raises some serious implications about the social worker O.o... considering it's labeled a permanent death. Like they have some kind of annihilator that not only destroys the sim, but the ghost as well. Keeps costs down, I guess. Maybe I'd feel better about it if children who got taken away got added to the pool of potential walkby's instead of getting deleted...

I'd like to do this but, after searching all the text files, I haven't been able to find the section this could come from, do I make my own file or am I not looking in the right place?
    Thank you!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    My daughter in law says pets get the same thing when they are taken for neglect or adopted over the phone - they get a death token also. Because of it I will never sell a pet or let it get taken for neglect or running away with out going to find it. Even running away if we don't go find them or get them back - the game will cull them and in the Sims 4 that means
    death.

I know they are just pixels in a game - but it freaks me out knowing they have a game death sentence.

I make darn sure my sims are ready for kids and their pets before I let any have some. No pixels being sentenced to death on my watch - especially children and innocent pets. I was shocked to know very few pets actually get adopted - it's as bad as taking pets to shelters now a days. It's awful in both game and real life.

Only Sims 2 did it right - all pets got kept til it got a home and kids got put in the adoption pools. They really need to go back to that formula.

I did not look into this myself - I just stopped my pets from having puppies and kittens. Now any one gets a pet they get 1 kitty and 1 dog, no more 2 cats or 2 dogs in a household so there is little chance of them reproducing - seeing spaying and nurturing does not always seem to work. Also if my Sims rescues some homeless pet - I will then place the pet in a household using manage Sims.

This though is a horrible idea EA - killing pets and kids is just plain wrong. Sims 2 did it right with the adoption pools - we seriously need to go backwards to Sims 2 formula in this. Seriously.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    well the kid's not suffering anymore.

I just imagine the social working suffocating them with a pillow like, shh shh, it will all be over soon....

I would be exceedingly okay with seeing this in the sims franchise.
  • PukitakiPukitaki Posts: 10 New Member
    > @Hadron1776 said:
    > So if you let a child starve, or get him/her an F in school, he/she will eventually be taken away by the social worker. I've been thinking about this since this morning, and I remember the one time I went into the tuning to check it out, and found this in the child-neglect tracker: <u> 98476 <u> LESS_OR_EQUAL </u> </u>
    >
    > This raises some serious implications about the social worker O.o... considering it's labeled a permanent death. Like they have some kind of annihilator that not only destroys the sim, but the ghost as well. Keeps costs down, I guess. Maybe I'd feel better about it if children who got taken away got added to the pool of potential walkby's instead of getting deleted...

Like InsularFLY, I'd also like to know where you found this in the code. Which file is it in? If I don't get a reply, I may just have to go digging. I'm so sick of how they decided to handle Social Work and adoption, I'm thinking about making an overhaul...
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    Pukitaki wrote: »
    > @Hadron1776 said:
    > So if you let a child starve, or get him/her an F in school, he/she will eventually be taken away by the social worker. I've been thinking about this since this morning, and I remember the one time I went into the tuning to check it out, and found this in the child-neglect tracker: 98476 LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >

Like InsularFLY, I'd also like to know where you found this in the code. Which file is it in? If I don't get a reply, I may just have to go digging. I'm so sick of how they decided to handle Social Work and adoption, I'm thinking about making an overhaul...
    Pukitaki wrote: »
    > @Hadron1776 said:
    > So if you let a child starve, or get him/her an F in school, he/she will eventually be taken away by the social worker. I've been thinking about this since this morning, and I remember the one time I went into the tuning to check it out, and found this in the child-neglect tracker: 98476 LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >

Sims 1 was designed same way - like if the Sims child did badly in school they were taken away by the social worker and said to be sent to Military school - a school they never returned from and if you checked the files you would see that childs files were totally gone from the game permanently.

If a new born cried more than a few times - not long at all during the 3 days it was an enfant - the social worker would not only take the child away - again permanently - and on top of it would declar your Sims unfit parents and would not allow them to have another baby or adopt a child ever. In Sims 1 that was forever as there was no aging in the game - so you fail at kids you sort of didn't get a second chance.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....