Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What the heck?

Waaaaay to go, Sims Team. Sims 4 isn't popular already, and now you guys just made a bunch of people mad. In June of 2019, Sims 4 will no longer support 32-Bit systems, meaning those who have the game on systems of this type will no longer get updates, get new packs, and lose access to the Gallery.

I don't even know how to react to this. Seriously, I don't. This is one of the biggest "🐸🐸🐸🐸"'s to a game fanbase I've ever seen.
Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I do agree this may be an drastic move for some but they must have thier reasons ( most would like to know) and I feel for those that may have to pay to upgrade or even buy new systems.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    I don't honestly understand why this is a big deal.

As of Cats & Dogs, PC requirements went up then as well, from 2gb of ram to 4gb of ram. I know this because my PC only went up to 4gb, and would crash the game constantly since 4gb is actually 3.7somethingsomething because the OS needs some too. To be fair, that computer was 10 years old (that's like 200+ years old in PC time), so it was time to upgrade. Even that old dinosaur supported Windows 7 64bit, so it's just a matter of an upgrade to the OS in many cases, which isn't that expensive.

It is an big deal for some and increasing an spec for Cats and Dogs that is small compared to what EA/Maxis is asking for one cannot know what everyone is playing on and there are many configurations out there. Some may be able to add memory and get an new 64 bit OS and some may not. Even with the uppance on C&D it was still 32 bit and 64 bit. While you may view the changes as trivial it may not be for everyone.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    I completely agree with @Goldmoldar. Like I said in another thread, I would have understood if TS4 is finished and its successor in the making, but that's simply not the case. And taking such a drastic step in the middle of the game? Unfair in my opinion.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited March 2019
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    It is an big deal for some and increasing an spec for Cats and Dogs that is small compared to what EA/Maxis is asking for one cannot know what everyone is playing on and there are many configurations out there. Some may be able to add memory and get an new 64 bit OS and some may not. Even with the uppance on C&D it was still 32 bit and 64 bit. While you may view the changes as trivial it may not be for everyone.

I literally had to buy a new pc in order to run the game if I wanted to continue to add on DLC and updates to the game, which isn't the case for most players whose hardware is fine and quite frankly I don't understand how a PC could not be able to upgrade to 64bit if it is currently running this game. Almost every Duo core Intel processor is capable of running 64bit Windows 7, even if they were only advertised to have a 32bit processor.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I thought TS4 was suppose to work on lower end computers? Good grief, they even went back on this claim! This iteration, hands down, has got to be the worst EVER.
    I completely agree with @Goldmoldar. Like I said in another thread, I would have understood if TS4 is finished and its successor in the making, but that's simply not the case. And taking such a drastic step in the middle of the game? Unfair in my opinion.

I found why the sudden change and why it affects some Apple dropped it support for non-Metal and seeing that MS has moved totally to 64 bit EA/Maxis killed two birds with one stone and they were is an tight spot as Apple and MS are not obiligated to support EA/Maxis if they continue to program in 32 bit. As said never seen this done like this and I am guess they figured that they had to do it and it is sad. Some are going to have to upgrade or in some cases buy an new system. I hope those folks will be able make the jump to 64 bit with the littlest expense.
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    I found why the sudden change and why it affects some Apple dropped it support for non-Metal and seeing that MS has moved totally to 64 bit EA/Maxis killed two birds with one stone and they were is an tight spot as Apple and MS are not obiligated to support EA/Maxis if they continue to program in 32 bit. As said never seen this done like this and I am guess they figured that they had to do it and it is sad. Some are going to have to upgrade or in some cases buy an new system. I hope those folks will be able make the jump to 64 bit with the littlest expense.
    I like Apple and their systems and design, but they really are a pain in the butt lately. And I agree, hopefully the affected users will be able to update without having to spend a lot of money.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
    edited March 2019

literally had to buy a new pc in order to run the game if I wanted to continue to add on DLC and updates to the game, which isn't the case for most players whose hardware is fine and quite frankly I don't understand how a PC could not be able to upgrade to 64bit if it is currently running this game. Almost every Duo core Intel processor is capable of running 64bit Windows 7, even if they were only advertised to have a 32bit processor.

Yes, Not everyone going to have to buy new systems and some may just have to buy memory or an 64 bit OS but not everyone computer is the same. All have to see how this is going to work out as when I built my systems or had mine customized I asked for 64 bit OSes and always 16 GB ram tp play it safe Some people cannot afford to buy memory or an new OS depending on thier situation But now I understand why EA/Maxis is doing this as I read more and it has to do with MS and Apple not supporting 32 bit aps going forward thereby forcing EA/Maxis to change course.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    I thought TS4 was suppose to work on lower end computers? Good grief, they even went back on this claim! This iteration, hands down, has got to be the worst EVER.

EA/Maxis had to do what they did as Apple and MS has changed thier focus as Developers are dependent on keeping up with them. It is sad but those who are 32 bit users are considered collateral damage and they figured most had made the move to 64 bit as the writing was on the wall a long time ago.
  • MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    From what I have read, it is Apple who decided to stop support for Macs openGL. Now that the game's engineers will have to work with Metal, I guess it is in the move to also terminate the support for the 32 bits systems. I have often read that the game was kept low on technical demand because players had low-end computers. I think this might not be a decision driven by desire from the game's team, but just a case of the computer market.

Now, a lot of players were complaining about the low technical demand of the game because they had invested in a better computer and the game was barely demanding. So now, may be they'll get a game that needs a little more "power". May be that'll be a good return to their investment.

I know this will be a heartbreaker for some players, but they'll be able to play the game as it is now. I think if we ask for a game that does more, we need to have computers that can take more. That's a simple equation.

I hope this is comprehensible, because English is not my first language.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Wow, seriously? That just makes no sense. :/
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Well, it is sad. I said from the beginning that I was happy that they made Sims4 to where people could play it on their computer. I have enjoyed the Sims from the beginning and just wanted others that couldn't afford to buy a new one, to be able to enjoy this one.

I don't know if my desktop mac will play it or not, as I don't check to see what is what, I just play, LOL. If my computer don't, I have what I need because this computer I have now, was/is going to be the last one I will get. I just enjoy my retirement now, and a new computer is out of the question. I bought a new one every time a new sequel came out, except Sims4 (didn't need a new one) :D

It's technology, it was bound to happen anyway. You either go with the flow of technology, or you don't/can't/won't.
  • AndyDanielAndyDaniel Posts: 67 Member
    Yikes, I'm on a 32-bit computer and wasn't planning on getting a new one. Will have to make that decision when the time comes. As long as we can continue to play the game and packs that we already own, it might not be so bad. Frankly the game runs pretty well for me with almost all of the EPs and GPs and a few of the SPs.

This is just me thinking out loud, but it would make more sense to set the 64-bit requirement for The Sims 5 rather than changing horses in midstream on The Sims 4. Oh well.
    8IomapKl.png
  • LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    edited March 2019
    Im sorry if I sound rude but why they don't admit the true? The Sims 4 is EA cash cow. Another companies would have been accepted a failure and moved on! Maxis have to say TS4 is like it is because of performance but its not 100% true! We all know The Sims 4 was designed to be an online experience like SimCity 2013 but this last one was a totally disaster and failed so hard that they just changed everything for The Sims 4 in the last minute and the result is the game we have now. Yes the game is "better" now but it would have been much easier for EA to admit a failure and moving on... they could have stayed in TS3 trying to fix some lag problems and taked more time to make a decent 4th generation. But no! I know its not Maxis (simgurus) fault. Its EA... some companies care about money and the consumers, other like EA just care about $$$$$$$ and thats the sad true. EA is killing The Sims right in front of our eyes.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

Im sorry if I sound rude but why they don't admit the true? The Sims 4 is EA cash cow. Another companies would have been accepted a failure and moved on! Maxis have to say TS4 is like it is because of performance but its not 100% true! We all know The Sims 4 was designed to be an online experience like SimCity 2013 but this last one was a totally disaster and failed so hard that they just changed everything for The Sims 4 in the last minute and the result is the game we have now. Yes the game is "better" now but it would have been much easier for EA to admit a failure and moving on... they could have stayed in TS3 trying to fix some lag problems and taked more time to make a decent 4th generation. But no! I know its not Maxis (simgurus) fault. Its EA... some companies care about money and the consumers, other like EA just care about $$$$$$$ and thats the sad true. EA is killing The Sims right in front of our eyes.

What is the commection of TS4 being originally built as Online game, in their current plans to stop supporting old PC's?
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I honestly don't know which my laptop is, I recently got it in December and I'm hoping I won't have to replace it
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited March 2019
    I dunno--I'm just not seeing this as anything unusual. A frustration, yes, absolutely, but nothing specific to the Sims that doesn't exist in a bunch of other places. Technology gets updated so fast; computers have shorter and shorter functional lifespans.

I'm an avid Pokemon Go player, and the phone I started playing the game on can't play it anymore due to one of their AR updates. (Hasn't been able to for months, actually.) They could have just disabled the new-and-improved AR in older phones, since it wasn't essential to gameplay, but nope. They made the whole game nonfunctional. The game only came out in late 2016, and my original device is already outdated.

I'm a Mac person, so when I looked up the requirements, it turns out any Macs made after 2012 should be fine. That's 7 years ago. It's really not that strange to say that a 7-year-old machine can't handle the game anymore. (PCs might be a different story--no idea.)

Again, you can argue that the whole rate at which we have to replace our technology is ridiculously fast and stupid and ultimately unsustainable, but that's a larger problem, not an EA-specific one.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Well... that is at their discretion. It is their game. And I guess that's the price to pay for attempting to extend the longevity of ts4 long past previous iterations and long past where it makes sense... in my humble opinion.

Even though ts4 is 5 years old now, I know that I have to update my rig every few years if I want play any decent games that I'm interested in playing. Personally, I would prefer to be considering updating my systems for ts5 by this point in time.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    While this doesn’t affect me I think it’s shocking that players who have to use the legacy edition will not get any more patches. I dread to think what state they will leave the game in.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

THIS! This I thought when the Sims 4 came out first thing that it was for lower end computers because TS3 was so HARD on some people's computer so they decdied to back down a bit so more people could play. SMH, even though I am not affected but I can't help but feel bad for people who won't be able to buy more packs or get updates...in my honest opinion this is kinda of a d*ck move...and if you want to continue to play it with the upcoming content, you gotta shell out more money for a new PC, imo TS4 isn't worth a new PC...but that's just my opinion.

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Technology advances. Sooner or later we all have to upgrade our computers. This is not an usual move from a studio, especially as the game is now nearly 5 years old. Most games are already 64-bit only. If anything Maxis is playing catch up with the rest of the industry.
    apple-signature.png
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member

THIS! This I thought when the Sims 4 came out first thing that it was for lower end computers because TS3 was so HARD on some people's computer so they decdied to back down a bit so more people could play. SMH, even though I am not affected but I can't help but feel bad for people who won't be able to buy more packs or get updates...in my honest opinion this is kinda of a d*ck move...and if you want to continue to play it with the upcoming content, you gotta shell out more money for a new PC, imo TS4 isn't worth a new PC...but that's just my opinion.

I agree that continuing to play ts4 isn't worth purchasing a new PC. Some enterprising person(s) should put up a poll with that question with these new orchestrations in mind.

I've always suspected that the chatter about ts4 being designed for low-end computers wasn't an accurate representation of reality and that the reasons were less altruistic.