Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 - Update on Supported Systems

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I have a macbook pro from 2015, is it ok with the update ? I have no idea if it's 32 bit or not.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I have a macbook pro from 2015, is it ok with the update ? I have no idea if it's 32 bit or not.

macOS has been 64-bit since 2009 so you’re fine. The game has also only ever been 64-bit in macOS. The 32-bit only applies to Windows users.

The announcement about Metal only affects Mac users but if your Mac is a 2015 model then you will also be fine :)

apple-signature.png
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited March 2019
    Thanks ! I'm relieved. For once I'm safe because I play on a Mac :D
    Doesn't sound fair for 32 bit users though, not everyone can afford to buy a new computer just to play TS4, I couldn't. And the game isn't cheap if you add all EPs, GPs and SPs, so being able to play should be the least they (ea) can do for them.
    Dianesims wrote: »

macOS has been 64-bit since 2009 so you’re fine. The game has also only ever been 64-bit in macOS. The 32-bit only applies to Windows users.

The announcement about Metal only affects Mac users but if your Mac is a 2015 model then you will also be fine :)
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi everyone,

Heads up that I've merged a few threads and comments into a single discussion :wink:
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    is this good or bad news? I can't tell...

For people who aren't still on 32-bit systems, I believe it's very good news. Development will no longer be constrained by having to meet performance standards on a 32-bit system. I'm hoping this means good things to come for complex systems and world size, for example.

For people who are stuck on a 32-bit system for now, it's not good news. Whatever they have when the Legacy game comes out is what they'll be staying with. For them, Sims 4 will have ended development; they won't be able to buy packs that come out after this change happens. That is likely to include *new* mods or mod updates as well. Their current mods and CC will continue to work, but it's unlikely that mod and CC developers will make new content that works with the Legacy base once the regular base patches again. It sounds very much like whatever current bugs they have, they will also be stuck with. Hopefully, for their sake we'll see some major bug fixes before June! On the plus side, when they are able to replace with a 64-bit system, they'll be able to download the updated game from Maxis and carry on.

For people who think they're getting Sims 5 soon or who "need" it, I'm pretty sure this is bad news. It's a good sign that Sims 4 development is planned for a considerable-length future.

Well, I'm one of the ones who is looking forward to Sims 5 (I'm not in an immediate rush, but wanting one, lol) -- but I think this is terrific news because if I understand correctly it means that the Sims 4 might be able to deliver to me what I've been lacking. It might help fix some of my issues with the Sims 4 and it might allow them to develop some things I feel I need in the game.

I am looking forward to seeing what this brings. I've skipped a few packs that I think look interesting because my sims don't react the way I want them to react and I feel some parts of the game are highly limited -- if these issues can be remedied for me by this update, then I'm all for this and excited to see what will happen! :)
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    I put up a little FAQ at AHQ:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/PLEASE-POST-HERE-Questions-regarding-drop-of-32-bit-OS-Support/td-p/7681382/

Let me know if you have more questions (PC Change)
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I have no idea how computers or technology work. I just hope I can still play the game after this update. :/
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I have no idea how computers or technology work. I just hope I can still play the game after this update. :/

Same here, technology now is moving fast!

I am pretty sure I will be able to play it when they change over and I hope a lot of other people can too. I think its a good move and I am excited to see what happens after it changes!
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    As I know, since 5 years or more there are CPU 64-bits
    Really, do you no support The Sims 4 after June 2019?

I saw at SimsCommunity than some players fear than they "can not afford a new computer"
    Really USA players buy branded computers or laptops?
    I have desktop pc and Im not concerned about the end of 32-bit support
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    If their PC processor is running this game, it most likely can support 64bit, it's only a matter of buying a new Operating System.

This is the price we pay for PC gaming vs. Console.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Apple is ending 32 bit support for its OS this coming Fall. Most games today are 64 bit. Also, I think you can get a free upgrade to 64 bit Windows. You'll need to check the Microsoft Website though.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I'm not concerned but my PC is more then capable to handle this update like @MLadyAzzera said it's the price we pay for playing PC and it seems like if they want to continue expanding on the game this is the natural course to take. They added 64bit before GT and for C&D they raised the system requirements so most likely the packs they want going forward require 64bit to be played fully and 32 is holding them back.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i am not concern at at all since i know my pc fits the requirements
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I was concerned at first, but now that I have more information and know I’m unaffected, I’m okay with it and can’t wait to see what this brings.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited March 2019
    leo3487 wrote: »
    As I know, since 5 years or more there are CPU 64-bits
    Really, do you no support The Sims 4 after June 2019?

I saw at SimsCommunity than some players fear than they "can not afford a new computer"
    Really USA players buy branded computers or laptops?
    I have desktop pc and Im not concerned about the end of 32-bit support

I have a 64-bit computer, but I wouldn't be worried if I had a 32-bit one... I mean, Sims 1/2/3 didn't had more support than that, cuz they always released other Sims base game every 4 years or so... At that rate I would have thought that i needed to change computers (i probably wouldn't have money, but... That's life, i am not going to complain if it means we are going to get bigger worlds).
    So_Money wrote: »
    If someone doesn’t have a 64-bit processor by now, PC gaming probably isn’t for them.

@So_Money Exactly... Worst than that, The Sims has always been an expensive hobbie... I don't understand why they even lowered down the game to run into old computers instead of giving us a game that should run longer than Sims 1/2/3... Sims 4 will probably end up with 8 years on its back, by that it would be looking way outdated.

I mean, i understand that some would be worried... I, myself, don't have much money as Brazil makes everything so expensive, but if you are committed to buy all that EPs and SPs... And now we even have GPs...
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    Not at all concerned.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2019
    Not at all and I assume future content will benefit from this. I haven't touched a 32-bit system in years. I'm not sure what you mean by USA players and branded computers... I've enjoyed having two custom desktops since 2015. Before that, it was a crappy eMachine & HP but even those were 64-bit.

Gaming has never been a cheap hobby and PC gaming is even more demanding. It is unfortunate for those unable to upgrade for whatever reason. Switching to console is an option for those unable to keep up with game specifications... Having to repurchase games and buy a console if not already available to them is also unfortunate. To that, I'd say look into getting a used console in good condition and grab game copies on sale. Sims 4 on console I've heard is a lot like the PC version unlike other past series ported to console.

I know what it's like to be met with the dreaded "This computer does not meet the system requirements" *looking at you Diablo 3 * -.- Some cheap bargain bin upgrades held me over until I had the funds for something much better.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    My computer won’t be affected by it, so I’m not concerned.
  • KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    I’m glad they are updating the game. The alternative is to keep it bound by ancient hardware restrictions and just keep trying to make $ off of it until it doesn’t work anymore like they did with Sims 3.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I think there won't be very many people who are affected to be honest? Even my old, half dead computer (that I just replaced) had 64 bit processing. My daughter's (very cheap, very small) laptop has 64 bit processing. I feel bad for those who might be left behind, but honestly, if they are still in 32 bits its probably affecting things besides just the Sims at this point and I'd imagine they are/had already been considering an upgrade.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,659 Member
    edited March 2019
    My computer is low-end, about 4 years old and 64 bits. Thankfully...

No idea if this change might result in a heavier game in the future, when they no longer need to pay attention to 32 bit systems. Meaning low-ends might perform less well. Time will tell...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • IreneLudwigIreneLudwig Posts: 125 Member
    I play TS4 with my late 2011 macbook pro, so I guess I'll have to switch to the Legacy Edition after June. I'm not planning to buy a new laptop because this one still works smoothly, but I'm excited to see that there are big things coming!
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I had a very low end laptop before I upgraded to a gaming desktop and it was 64 bit. So to answer your question no I am not concerned. I don’t think many players will be affected by this. I think it’s awful to those that are but you’ve gotta be barely playing anyway if your computer is old enough to not have 64 bit support.
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    One more topic merged ;)