Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 - Update on Supported Systems

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member

6-18 Update from EA_Mai

UPDATE:

We previously announced that we were making some changes to the supported specifications for The Sims 4™ on PC and Mac on June 2019. We have decided to postpone this update to later this year. All players can currently play all released packs and will be able to play the recently announced Island Living Expansion Pack. We will share more information on the specific date once we have confirmation.

Dear Simmers,

Today we are announcing some changes to the supported specifications for The Sims 4™ on PC and Mac. As of June 2019, we will no longer support The Sims 4 on Non-Metal Mac OS machines or PC 32-bit Operating Systems.
Apple has announced plans to phase out support for graphics processing technology called OpenGL and will be moving to a new technology known as Metal. Due to this change, we will upgrade The Sims 4 to work with Metal. For those that cannot upgrade to a Metal supporting OS, The Sims 4™: Legacy Edition will be made available to you. Please see the FAQ below.
This update will also retire support for 32-bit Operating Systems. We regularly evaluate our technologies, and to continue growing, improving, and optimizing the game, we have made the decision to retire 32-bit support. If you are a PC player who cannot update to a 64-bit OS, The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will be made available to you. Please see FAQ below.

We want to thank all Simmers who have played or are still playing The Sims 4.

Where can I get The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?

The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will be available in June 2019. If you are an existing The Sims 4 owner, we will have instructions on this page which will walk you through the steps to get your copy of The Sims 4: Legacy Edition when it is released. The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will not be made available to new players.

When will this change happen and when will The Sims 4: Legacy Edition be available?

This change is tentatively planned for June 2019. If there are any changes to the planned June date, we will update it.

Will The Sims 4 on my Non-Metal Mac OS be automatically updated to the legacy version?

No, you will need to download The Sims 4: Legacy Edition. To find out if your Mac supports Metal, please check here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073

Will The Sims 4 on my 32-bit OS PC be automatically updated to the legacy version?

No, you will need to download The Sims4: Legacy Edition.

Will The Sims 4: Legacy Edition receive any additional content or bug fixes in the future?

No, The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will not receive any more content or bug fixes.

Will any online features still work in The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?

The Gallery, game banners, and social integrations will be disabled. The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will not display or allow any purchases of content released after February 2019.

What Stuff Packs, Game Packs, and Expansion Packs can I play using The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?

You will be able to purchase and play all Stuff, Game and Expansion packs released between September 2, 2014 and February 26, 2019. This includes Luxury Party Stuff Pack, Perfect Patio Stuff Pack, Cool Kitchen Stuff Pack, Spooky Stuff Pack, Movie Hangout Stuff Pack, Romantic Garden Stuff Pack, Kids Room Stuff Pack, Backyard Stuff Pack, Vintage Glamour Stuff Pack, Bowling Night Stuff Pack, Fitness Stuff Pack, Toddler Stuff Pack, Laundry Day Stuff Pack, My First Pet Stuff Pack, Outdoor Retreat Game Pack, Spa Day Game Pack, Dine Out Game Pack, Vampires Game Pack, Parenthood Game Pack, Jungle Adventure Game Pack, StrangerVille Game Pack, Get Together Expansion Pack, Get To Work Expansion Pack, City Living Expansion Pack, Cats & Dogs Expansion Pack, Seasons Expansion Pack and Get Famous Expansion Pack.

Content released after February 2019 will require you to upgrade your system.

Will custom content still work with The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?

It will be up to the custom content or mod developer to decide to support their custom content for both The Sims 4 and The Sims 4: Legacy Edition.

Will there be different versions of The Sims 4: Legacy Edition for Non-Metal Mac OS and 32-bit PC OS?

There will be one version of The Sims 4: Legacy Edition that you will be able to download.

Will my save files still work in The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?

Yes, save files will still work with The Sims 4: Legacy Edition. Instructions on “how to” will be published once The Sims 4: Legacy Edition is released.
Post edited by simgirl1010 on

Comments

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited March 2019
    Hi,

EA will no longer support Windows 32-bit version and macOS with OpenGL after June 2019.
    All the packs released after February 2019 (After GP07 StrangerVille) will require Windows 64-bit or mac OS with Metal !

The Sims 4 Legacy Edition (Windows 32-bit and macOS OpenGL only) will be released in June 2019.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I thought they already required 64 bit on Windows since Cats and Dogs? I know Cats and Dogs require 64-bit windows to run.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited March 2019
    @ChelleJo

EP04 Cats & Dogs is also 32-bit and will work with The Sims 4 Legacy Edition.

GP07 StrangerVille is officially the very last pack released for Windows 32-bit.
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited March 2019
    Hey,

Leaving this link here, as you can read the details and FAQ in there - hopefully that will help clarify any questions ;) >> https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/The-Sims-4-Update-on-Supported-Systems/m-p/7629115#M11425
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,323 Member
    Basically any pack before June 2019 will work will the classic edition. No patches or updates after for the classic edition, wow
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I'm guessing the regular TS4 version will be like a The Sims 4.2. Since they still plan to have a few more years of content, they have to abandon the obsolete tech that TS4 initially supported in order to move forward. 🤔
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    How do I know if my Mac is Metal or not?
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @Chazzzy

In the AHQ thread Simburian posted is a link to Apple's site where you can check whether your Mac supports Metal.
    apple-signature.png
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    5M4XJG9l.jpg
    Someone posted this on a Discord I'm in might be helpful here.
    ~ ~ ~
    @3KNPen I’m safe, thanks!
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    is this good or bad news? I can't tell...
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    @crinrict or @luthienrising might have some input on this.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2019
    This is big news!

It sure is as some may have to dig deep to come up to standard meaning some may have to buy an new system and some may not if they are able to use what they currently have by adding more memory and changing to an 64 bit OS.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited March 2019
    So I play on an iMac via Windows Bootcamp. My iMac passes the Mac specs for Metal, but how do I check the PC side to make sure it'll still work? Or am I okay because the Mac side passed? How do you check if your Windows is in 32 bit mode?

ETA: Nvm, just checked and I'm in 64 :)
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    Okay, probably a stupid question: If my Sims 4 file is within the Program Files (x86) file, does that mean I'm already playing TS4 in 64-bit and I'm good?
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »
    Okay, probably a stupid question: If my Sims 4 file is within the Program Files (x86) file, does that mean I'm already playing TS4 in 64-bit and I'm good?

Yes, it does :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member

For people who aren't still on 32-bit systems, I believe it's very good news. Development will no longer be constrained by having to meet performance standards on a 32-bit system. I'm hoping this means good things to come for complex systems and world size, for example.

For people who are stuck on a 32-bit system for now, it's not good news. Whatever they have when the Legacy game comes out is what they'll be staying with. For them, Sims 4 will have ended development; they won't be able to buy packs that come out after this change happens. That is likely to include *new* mods or mod updates as well. Their current mods and CC will continue to work, but it's unlikely that mod and CC developers will make new content that works with the Legacy base once the regular base patches again. It sounds very much like whatever current bugs they have, they will also be stuck with. Hopefully, for their sake we'll see some major bug fixes before June! On the plus side, when they are able to replace with a 64-bit system, they'll be able to download the updated game from Maxis and carry on.

For people who think they're getting Sims 5 soon or who "need" it, I'm pretty sure this is bad news. It's a good sign that Sims 4 development is planned for a considerable-length future.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So I play on an iMac via Windows Bootcamp. My iMac passes the Mac specs for Metal, but how do I check the PC side to make sure it'll still work? Or am I okay because the Mac side passed? How do you check if your Windows is in 32 bit mode?

ETA: Nvm, just checked and I'm in 64 :)

@Chazzzy I copied this from the article:

How do I know if I have a 32-bit system or a 64-bit system?
    If you are on Windows 8 or 10, you can press the Windows key + I, go to System, then go to About. Under device specifications you can see your system type
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited March 2019

For people who aren't still on 32-bit systems, I believe it's very good news. Development will no longer be constrained by having to meet performance standards on a 32-bit system. I'm hoping this means good things to come for complex systems and world size, for example.

For people who are stuck on a 32-bit system for now, it's not good news. Whatever they have when the Legacy game comes out is what they'll be staying with. For them, Sims 4 will have ended development; they won't be able to buy packs that come out after this change happens. That is likely to include *new* mods or mod updates as well. Their current mods and CC will continue to work, but it's unlikely that mod and CC developers will make new content that works with the Legacy base once the regular base patches again. It sounds very much like whatever current bugs they have, they will also be stuck with. Hopefully, for their sake we'll see some major bug fixes before June! On the plus side, when they are able to replace with a 64-bit system, they'll be able to download the updated game from Maxis and carry on.

For people who think they're getting Sims 5 soon or who "need" it, I'm pretty sure this is bad news. It's a good sign that Sims 4 development is planned for a considerable-length future.

Well two and a half years at least. We know this already, and the elimination of 32bit support was probably planned just as far in advance. Unlikely the announcement today will affect the long term plans they announced almost a year ago. I mean unless you are just reiterating, or authenticating the “three more years of content” I really just don’t see your point.

ETA- regardless I think it’s good news overall. No reason they should be forever limited by old hardware, especially when they’ve had the capability to do more since 2015. I can’t begin to assume what 64bit-only packs will entail, but if that means something as simple as a lift on the small world size it would be a benefit. I don’t suppose this will mean they will immediately come out with complex packs that exceed what they could do with 32bit, but time will tell.
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    edited March 2019

It's definitely good, I really doubt anyone here is playing on a Pentium 4, regardless, if you have a 32-bits processor the chances are really high that your PC can't run The Sims 4 anyway.

Now they don't have to be constrained by the lowest of the low end when thinking of new content, and if they are going out of the way to drop support for 32-bits, then they are planning on taking advantage of this.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »

Yes, it does :)

Thank you for the confirmation!
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2019
    It's the best news since they announced to create a 64 bit game version :D

They now don't need to focus on having it to make run on 2 GB RAM anymore

There's a few things you need to know (don't know about Mac)
    • Since Cats & Dogs, the minimum requirements have been raised anyways. Only difference: You could technically still play the game. It ran slow and big dogs made the game crash but you could still play. The way I understand it, you will now not even be able to install Sims 4 on a 32 bit system after the change.
    • The Upgrade to 64 bit is free for Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win 10. You will need to reinstall your operating system but your key is valid for both version. So there's no extra costs unless you want to get more RAM or you are still running Windows XP
    • The game currently recommends to start the game in 32 bit if you have 4 GB RAM or less. If you have 4 GB, you can still use the 64 bit version but since it had no advantages, the gamer recommended 32 bit.
    • There have been so many crashing reports for 32 bit OS on AHQ. If you play your game for a long while, the 2 GB limit is reached very fast.
    • There are computers out there that don't have the architecture to run 64 bit OS but I believe those belong in a museum.
    • Most people will not be affected by this in any way and it makes life easier.
    • For those really not able to afford a new system, there's the legacy edition which you will be able to still play everything you paid for already. I know, no patches and no new packs but as the new packs already ask for 64 bit, that's not really much of a change.

So, for people stuck on a 32 bit OS. WHY are you stuck ? Do you only have 2 GB of RAM ? If you're unsure about all this, feel free to come over to AHQ, give us your specs and we can help you out figuring out the best way to go. There's also a Mac forum for those of you concerned about that:
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial