Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should the next Sims game go above the T rating?

A daring subject but someone has to suggest it.

What would you all think of a Sims game going above the current rating that could provide a different type of level of realism? I don't want to see the game turn violent or anything but something that could push the boundaries a little.

I want to see a more darker approach to realism. For players like me who have played nearly 20 years we are now 20 years older and although I cannot say how old I am now but I have aged up at least a couple of times now! :no_mouth:

A more gritty approach should be fun for players who like to play advanced. It has been done in the past but I feel like they have moved away from it too much with these 'emotions' if that is still a thing. If there is a divorce or something in the family it should effect Sims a lot more in the long term. What about cheating? Should Sims gain trust issues?

Of course the nice stuff like family play should still remain but I feel that we should be able to move a few steps forward and allow us to play with life like never before.

A T rating is really too limited for some players.

Suggestions?
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• bandcampsquirrelbandcampsquirrel Posts: 2,187 Member
    I agree, I would like to see a little higher rating, however, I don't think it will ever happen. Maybe it could be done in an expansion pack, would that even be possible?
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @bandcampsquirrel I see no problem with an occasional more mature EP and then a more young friend EP now and then :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @Sigzy05 Yes I agree TS4 is too immature for my liking :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @hyrulerose TS2 started and attempt at some responses such as Sims being furious with another while TS3 has moodlets that can last for days on end but I would like something that can be almost permanent such as a moodlet that keeps popping up reminding a Sim of something and a Sim would then have to challenge themselves to rid these moodlets rather than moodlets simply dropping away and then being forgotten about
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @RememberJoy I don't think that graphic violence is right for The Sims and they have already pushed the boundaries with woohoo! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SunStone02SunStone02 Posts: 107 Member
    > @king_of_simcity7 said:
    > A daring subject but someone has to suggest it.
    >
    > What would you all think of a Sims game going above the current rating that could provide a different type of level of realism? I don't want to see the game turn violent or anything but something that could push the boundaries a little.
    >
    > I want to see a more darker approach to realism. For players like me who have played nearly 20 years we are now 20 years older and although I cannot say how old I am now but I have aged up at least a couple of times now! :no_mouth:
    >
    > A more gritty approach should be fun for players who like to play advanced. It has been done in the past but I feel like they have moved away from it too much with these 'emotions' if that is still a thing. If there is a divorce or something in the family it should effect Sims a lot more in the long term. What about cheating? Should Sims gain trust issues?
    >
    > Of course the nice stuff like family play should still remain but I feel that we should be able to move a few steps forward and allow us to play with life like never before.
    >
    > A T rating is really too limited for some players.
    >
    > Suggestions?

I think E10+ is too limited, but M is too extreme.

What do you think they can add to make it a M rating?
    ~SunStone~ <3
    A Sims 4 player and fan!
    @SunStone02 More subtle hints of adult content such as how juice is obviously an 'age restricted product' we all know what it is meant to be but it has been toned down for the T rating.

I don't think there needs to be a lot of hints towards age restricted products' but that type of hints towards something mature but still keeping it Sims like :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    I agree that Sims 4 is probably the most ''immature'' or ''childish'' of the four series. I think the whole Emotions playing a part in their daily activities like taking a p00p goes too far.
    I do however like that, while talking about the subjects of the Emotions, you can make certain dishes while having a certain emotion (gummybear pancakes for example and the protein thing).
  • RedSunBluesRedSunBlues Posts: 143 Member
    I could not say yes enough. It doesnt mean the whole thing has to be, they could easily contain it to a game or expansion pack that has a higher rating than the base game. One thing id like to see is a slower but more detailed progression of relationships with some later interactions being more scandalous. Right now, a sim can fill any relationship bar, romance, friendship, or enemy, in just a day or two of gameplay and after that its so easy to keep them up. Would like to see adults whos children have moved out have an interation to spice up their woohoo life. Or enemies of someone throwing a party trashing the lot to ruin the event. Theyd could have a chance of being notified of the enemies party weather they were invited or not. More negative interaction with more dire consequences would be appreciated as well, a sim shouldnt have to have high level whatever skill to do criminal things. Criminals are dumb a lot of the time and most of them also get caught. Id love to see realistic criminals who can rob (being a klepto isnt the same), mug, beat up, or kill people, maybe if youre evil, there could be a slim chance that the fight interaction kills the other sim. And if that sims good or athletic maybe the chance could be turned on the criminal. Sims should also be able to get injured on rare occasions with a stay in the hospital. In sims 4, I've only seen the hospital used to have babies. Maybe they could make a vacation type world with a hospital, boarding school, hotel or inn for business trips, a rehab for juice enthusiasts etc. just anything a person would need to go away for that isn't vacation.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    From what I've seen, I think the devs have made the iterations as clean or neutral as possible to make it as appealing to as much of the public as it can. But yeah, I think they need to work on the reactions to better reflect life. I liked the way the sims reacted in TS2 and TS3. Hopefully the devs will consider that for TS5 and enhance them somehow. I don't understand why devs tied emotions to objects in TS4 - that doesn't make sense at all and I hope that they don't add that to TS5.

The violence or more adult themes I wouldn't want to be a regular feature of The Sims though, but I like that the devs do allow for it in the coding so that modders can add it in. I don't play TS4 but I do know there are mods for adding violence to the game as well as a serial killer. There's definitely mods to add violence/drinking/adult themes to TS3. One of my sims was a demon (actually a fairy with black dragon wings and has the evil and kleptomaniac trait) that was in the assassin career. She knocked off other sims on assignment (using gun mod or violence mod or powers gained from leveling up the assassin skill), shaked down other sims (which lost 50 points off their current relationship with that sim) for money and she did cat burglary on nights when there was no assignment. It was very fun, lol! That was all possible with mods.

So for the next iteration in The Sims franchise, I hope they work on the reactions/emotions of the sims better and just design the game to be as mod-able as possible to allow for all the things we want but can't have without upping the T rating to something more.

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    If it's the only way for them to stop making The Sims a bublepop game, yes.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    I like the present rating - I just think the devs need less childish silliness - not a higher rating - as it would be unfair to a whole lot of people who presently play as well as all those who would want to play from watching their parents play. Over half the people in my family who play the Sims started playing as early as 11. The game is quite popular with pre-teens and teens - as most of simmers know - seeing many now say they were those ages when they started.

Why alienate all those people?
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

I could not say yes enough. It doesnt mean the whole thing has to be, they could easily contain it to a game or expansion pack that has a higher rating than the base game. One thing id like to see is a slower but more detailed progression of relationships with some later interactions being more scandalous. Right now, a sim can fill any relationship bar, romance, friendship, or enemy, in just a day or two of gameplay and after that its so easy to keep them up. Would like to see adults whos children have moved out have an interation to spice up their woohoo life. Or enemies of someone throwing a party trashing the lot to ruin the event. Theyd could have a chance of being notified of the enemies party weather they were invited or not. More negative interaction with more dire consequences would be appreciated as well, a sim shouldnt have to have high level whatever skill to do criminal things. Criminals are dumb a lot of the time and most of them also get caught. Id love to see realistic criminals who can rob (being a klepto isnt the same), mug, beat up, or kill people, maybe if youre evil, there could be a slim chance that the fight interaction kills the other sim. And if that sims good or athletic maybe the chance could be turned on the criminal. Sims should also be able to get injured on rare occasions with a stay in the hospital. In sims 4, I've only seen the hospital used to have babies. Maybe they could make a vacation type world with a hospital, boarding school, hotel or inn for business trips, a rehab for juice enthusiasts etc. just anything a person would need to go away for that isn't vacation.

Yes good suggestions. It is always good humour that a Sim could meet someone in the morning and buy the evening they are married and expecting a baby! :D

Some TS3 traits play an interesting part in relationship development. Sims can get creeped out from some interactions but I would like to see that expanded on. Would anyone really start a relationship with someone that they had only just met?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited March 2019
    From what I've seen, I think the devs have made the iterations as clean or neutral as possible to make it as appealing to as much of the public as it can. But yeah, I think they need to work on the reactions to better reflect life. I liked the way the sims reacted in TS2 and TS3. Hopefully the devs will consider that for TS5 and enhance them somehow. I don't understand why devs tied emotions to objects in TS4 - that doesn't make sense at all and I hope that they don't add that to TS5.

The violence or more adult themes I wouldn't want to be a regular feature of The Sims though, but I like that the devs do allow for it in the coding so that modders can add it in. I don't play TS4 but I do know there are mods for adding violence to the game as well as a serial killer. There's definitely mods to add violence/drinking/adult themes to TS3. One of my sims was a demon (actually a fairy with black dragon wings and has the evil and kleptomaniac trait) that was in the assassin career. She knocked off other sims on assignment (using gun mod or violence mod or powers gained from leveling up the assassin skill), shaked down other sims (which lost 50 points off their current relationship with that sim) for money and she did cat burglary on nights when there was no assignment. It was very fun, lol! That was all possible with mods.

So for the next iteration in The Sims franchise, I hope they work on the reactions/emotions of the sims better and just design the game to be as mod-able as possible to allow for all the things we want but can't have without upping the T rating to something more.

Good suggestions :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited March 2019
    Of course the nice stuff like family play should still remain but I feel that we should be able to move a few steps forward and allow us to play with life like never before.

A T rating is really too limited for some players.

Suggestions?

1.) I am happy with a T rating and do not really want to see a M rated Sims.

2) EA would alienate a good chunk of their audience,

3.) I believe that's what mods are for, and modders should be able to keep making M rated content.

4.) The world of the Sims is what I hope one day society will be, one without murder or war. As for non-petty crimes like theft, that is already kinda in the game (I miss the burgler).

5.) I like how they approach "juice" and "bubbles", except seeing some more signs of intoxication would be nice. Drug dealing career? Meh, again, that's what modders are for.

6.) While we are on the topic of more mature content, I wouldn't mind some kind of "fascination with fire" personality trait in the game, it could fit within the mischief skill and I think that it would still remain in the T rating range, especially if they added firefighters to put out the fires started and then issued a fine.

7.) Woohoo content? Again, modders. That and sims time goes waay too fast to be doing all those woohooing acts anyways :D

I can't really think of any M rated content I might of missed, but if I forgot a M rated subject, let me know.

• SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    I'm totally fine with letting modders take care of adult lewd content or gritty things like gory murder.

I'd much rather the devs focus on actually providing more life sim content.
  • xingyicaicnxingyicaicn Posts: 170 Member
    I would be happy if this happenes. Maybe they could make two versions of the game, one T and one above.
    H O P E H A S A P L A C E
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • isaiahzayisaiahzay Posts: 295 Member
    I agree they don’t need to, they managed to make Sims Medieval have slightly more mature aspects like booze, hunting, killing, even comedic torture, and it still had a T rating. So it seems like they could easily make Sims 5 a bit less “sunshine and rainbows” without loosing the Teen rating.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    While I do agree that Sims 4 is much more childish than 2 or 3, I don't think they need to bump the rating up to M. I do wish they would go back to the more crude humor/language they used before. There's no need for graphic sex or violence to be in the game. None.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    That won't do anything for them but eliminate their teen audience and cause them to lose money. It's 100% possible for them to make a mature game and keep it rated T.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Ratings mean nothing.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif