Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I am so overwhelmed!

surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
So I just got the sims 2 ultimate collection 3 days ago, and I'm so overwhelmed! I don't know where to start!
Having all the expansions I don't know what to do!
I didn't want to start my own family yet, I wanted to play some premades. I thought since university was the first expansion, I'd play a family with teens and send them to college. I chose pleasantville, and the pleasant family (I think, right?) Because they have the 2 daughters. I was surprised to see the dad having an affair! As soon as I started playing, it rained, mom got the flu. I sorta wanted her to die (sims can die from the flu. Right?) Just so the dad could openly be with the maid, maybe move her in, and send the daughters to college. That was the plan. Well the dad got fired almost immediately and then the mom caught him cheating, so she divorced him. During this, the daughters would not stop fighting! Never! They were constantly slapping and attacking each other. I sorta couldn't stand them, so I decided to just play university with someone else.
I found a female alien in the townie bin and moved her to sim state. That was alot of fun! She graduated with honors. I was really disappointed to find I can't move sims between neighborhoods :( I wanted her to be a paranormal investigator in strangetown, but I can't move her.
So now I'm sorta stuck again. I want to check out everything! I want pets, I want a family, I want to check out supernaturals, but where to start!?! I've been reading lots of threads here and checking out pics and stories, there's so many options! I love it but omg hahah
It's so much to get used to haha anyone have any advice on what to do!? Or a similar experience?? :)

Comments

• DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    So I just got the sims 2 ultimate collection 3 days ago, and I'm so overwhelmed! I don't know where to start!
    I didn't want to start my own family yet, I wanted to play some premades. I thought since university was the first expansion, I'd play a family with teens and send them to college. I chose pleasantville, and the pleasant family (I think, right?) Because they have the 2 daughters. I was surprised to see the dad having an affair! As soon as I started playing, it rained, mom got the flu. I sorta wanted her to die (sims can die from the flu. Right?) Just so the dad could openly be with the maid, maybe move her in, and send the daughters to college. That was the plan. Well the dad got fired almost immediately and then the mom caught him cheating, so she divorced him. During this, the daughters would not stop fighting! Never! They were constantly slapping and attacking each other. I sorta couldn't stand them, so I decided to just play university with someone else.
    I found a female alien in the townie bin and moved her to sim state. That was alot of fun! She graduated with honors. I was really disappointed to find I can't move sims between neighborhoods :( I wanted her to be a paranormal investigator in strangetown, but I can't move her.
    So now I'm sorta stuck again. I want to check out everything! I want pets, I want a family, I want to check out supernaturals, but where to start!?! I've been reading lots of threads here and checking out pics and stories, there's so many options! I love it but omg hahah
    It's so much to get used to haha anyone have any advice on what to do!? Or a similar experience?? :)
    Maybe start by making a household full of all supernaturals? That ougtha be fun.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited November 2016
    The Sims 2 can be quite overwhelming the first time you play it because it is quite a bit more challenging than TS3 or TS4. My suggestion is to start out slow. Start by creating/playing a single sim or a couple, and try out new features as you go along and get used to the flow of the game.

I remember the first day I played the game, I created a couple and had the wife get pregnant. Pregnant sims are HARD. You constantly have to watch their needs, and they can't do much more than eat, sleep, or pee. Then once the baby was born, I wasn't really used to juggling needs/gameplay yet, so my sims were constantly falling asleep in their food while the toddler screamed and threw tantrums in the background. I was so frustrated but I couldn't put it down, it was that much fun.

If you check out the thread New to Sims 2, which is similar to yours, I posted a long list of things I have yet to accomplish in the game that you might have fun trying out.

Good luck and have fun!
    Post edited by slynnski on
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    @slynnski I actually saw that thread shortly after I posted this one and thought "shoot, this is basically the same!" Haha
    Maybe making my own sim and starting like that won't be so bad.... Idk, I really wanted to play around with the premades. I got used to how I play S4, and from what I understand, neighbors don't age unless you play them? So I dooooo want the ages to make sense...
    The sims 2 came out when I was in middle school, basically all I did was make me and my crush married and have 6 babies, one after the other pretty much, then I'd get overwhelmed, then I'd stop hahah it is so challenging! Now that I'm older that challenge is appreciated.
    Start out slow is great advice though haha (I just want to dive in!!!) Thank you :)
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member

I know. This is the ONE disappointment to me about the game. I have a couple of Sims I wanted to move to a different neighborhood but it's not possible. They thought of EVERYTHING else for this game. I wish they'd thought of a way to make this possible too!
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member

I know. This is the ONE disappointment to me about the game. I have a couple of Sims I wanted to move to a different neighborhood but it's not possible. They thought of EVERYTHING else for this game. I wish they'd thought of a way to make this possible too!

My game is loading as we speak, and I'm just going to play her in pleasantville....
    So far though everything is perfect! I played the sims 4 around bugs and little glitches like, got used to them, it's almost weird how good everything is in sims 2!
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member

I absolutely love your story! This is the difference between TS2 and TS4... so much drama :joy:
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member

Hey guys, this is 100% possible in your game because of subhoods. That said, you have to either download someone else's megahood or create your own (I prefer to create my own, but wouldn't recommend for a novice TS2 player... play first, customise later).

If you are interested in doing this yourself, please let me know and I'll post links to tutorials as well as my quick and dirty guide I wrote up after rereading these tutorials so many times :blush:

Otherwise, consider using this Maxis megahood.
  • slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited November 2016
    Maybe making my own sim and starting like that won't be so bad.... Idk, I really wanted to play around with the premades. I got used to how I play S4, and from what I understand, neighbors don't age unless you play them? So I dooooo want the ages to make sense...
    The sims 2 came out when I was in middle school, basically all I did was make me and my crush married and have 6 babies, one after the other pretty much, then I'd get overwhelmed, then I'd stop hahah it is so challenging! Now that I'm older that challenge is appreciated.
    Start out slow is great advice though haha (I just want to dive in!!!) Thank you :)

Hmm yeah I guess coming from Sims 4 or Sims 3 to Sims 2, it would be weird that nobody else ages. It's just something that I'm used to so it doesn't bother me really. Plus I play neighborhoods rotationally so everyone ends up aging more or less evenly with everyone else. Townies don't age because you can't play them, but I always viewed townies as disposable anyways...just there to make friends for jobs or to use as potential spouses/baby daddies. :D

One of the first families I made when I first started TS2 was me and the guy I liked. I made myself a romance sim, thinking that the romance aspiration meant my sim wanted to fall in love and get married. Boy was I shocked when I found out what the romance aspiration was really about. :D

In the end there is no right or wrong way to play the game. Just play how you want to, and have fun. :)

PS I cant help but laugh at your experience with the Pleasants. They are my favorite family in Sims 2, but they definitely are a handful when you first start playing them lol.
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    slynnski wrote: »

Hmm yeah I guess coming from Sims 4 or Sims 3 to Sims 2, it would be weird that nobody else ages. It's just something that I'm used to so it doesn't bother me really. Plus I play neighborhoods rotationally so everyone ends up aging more or less evenly with everyone else. Townies don't age because you can't play them, but I always viewed townies as disposable anyways...just there to make friends for jobs or to use as potential spouses/baby daddies. :D

One of the first families I made when I first started TS2 was me and the guy I liked. I made myself a romance sim, thinking that the romance aspiration meant my sim wanted to fall in love and get married. Boy was I shocked when I found out what the romance aspiration was really about. :D

In the end there is no right or wrong way to play the game. Just play how you want to, and have fun. :)

PS I cant help but laugh at your experience with the Pleasants. They are my favorite family in Sims 2, but they definitely are a handful when you first start playing them lol.

Sounds like what you really wanted was the Family aspiration, lol.

I made a mother and teenage son (VERY poor) for a custom neighborhood. They literally had nearly nothing. I bought them the most basic fridge and a microwave so they could at least cook food somehow because I couldn't afford a stove for them (though I put a fire alarm in place for the future when they finally could get a stove). So, the mother got a job in law enforcement and kept bringing Goopy home. They got along really well, so I got them to a point where she was able to ask him to move in. They fell in love and eventually got married, but I had no clue that Goopy is a romance Sim. So, down the line I got him to be friendly with the nanny so I could get the nanny to move in and take care of the toddler permanently but without having to pay her. She's got to be like 80 something but that didn't stop her from falling in love with Goopy and Goopy getting friendly with her and courting her (I never let them get beyond that point though). Well, one day the nanny is downstairs in the library, reading, and Goopy and his wife decide to get it on. So after they're done, the nanny dropped the book and raced upstairs and slapped the $#** out of the wife and they got into a fight, and the nanny is brokenhearted, and the wife is confused because she had no idea he'd been flirting with the nanny. I didn't know what to do and the animosity continued growing between the wife and nanny until they came to major blows again, and HATE each other. Suddenly though, the nanny and the maid started hitting it off, so I quickly took advantage of that and built their relationship up until I could get the maid to move in and they eventually got married (my first non-traditional couple), and it helped take the nanny's mind off of Goopy, and I was able to start repairing the relationship between her and Goopy's wife. So now they're a mainly happy household. Anyway, that's how I learned about romance Sims. I got lucky though. Goopy, in spite of being a romance Sim is also a happy family man, so I've been able to keep him from really straying.
  • izzythesimerizzythesimer Posts: 2 New Member
    how do i have a butler in sims 4
  • izzythesimerizzythesimer Posts: 2 New Member
    without packs
  • M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,715 Member
    @izzythesimer first of all: welcome to the Sims Forums. :)

To answer your question: I looked it up for Sims 4 (only have the cas demo myself) and the butler only comes with Vintage Stuff, not with the base game.

If you meant Sims 2 though (this is a thread under the Sims 2 section), the butler comes with the Apartment Life pack. If you didn't mean to post in the Sims 2 section, then you can find the Sims 4 section here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4
    Banner.png
  • phillipsg148phillipsg148 Posts: 6 New Member
    I havent played any sims on pc for almost 5 years and was planning on installing the sims 2 and all of the ep and sp packs that go with it. i remember they need to be installed in order but i was worried i will not be able to patch my games. is this true?
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited March 2019
    I havent played any sims on pc for almost 5 years and was planning on installing the sims 2 and all of the ep and sp packs that go with it. i remember they need to be installed in order but i was worried i will not be able to patch my games. is this true?

You can find the patches still. I believe modthesims still has them. . . a search engine will find them. :)

Here they are: https://simsvip.com/sims-games/patches/
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

I absolutely love your story! This is the difference between TS2 and TS4... so much drama :joy:

Yeah I found the story hilarious...only in sims 2 hahah
  • violaineTviolaineT Posts: 48 Member
    To not be overwhelmed, there cheats in game to use but but I won't recommend it, I think it's a good feeling go explore and don't make immortal overpowered Sims, just make new generation and so on.

When you get more used you can then start to have a look on modding the game, but you still can enjoy a lot without going in that.