Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What can be done to fix sims themselves?

Comments

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Summary of March 2 until March 10

Likes and dislikes
    • Based on the club activities system
    • Gain it based on what your sim actually does : for some hobbies such as cooking, computer etc you can't gain interest on this except if you have the foodie & geek traits otherwise every sims will love the same activities.
    • The possibility to choose them or make them random with a toggle
    • They should autonomously do their favorite hobbies but it shouldn't be too forced, they should do it when all their needs are full
    • Those preferences should act on their relations, they can discuss those interests with other sims but those who don't like the same things shouldn't agree (like what you did with wheater preferences in Seasons)
    • When you go back home they should do their hobbies instead of watching TV, playing chest etc (only when their needs are full of course)
    • Hobbies should be fun for our sims, like in real life
    • A sim should gain boost on activities he/she likes (if it is a skill) however if this is something a sim doesn't like it should be harder for him to developp this skill

Whims
    • They should be related to what the sim is doing at that time, not random and illogical (sometimes I have sims who want to walk their dog after it died)
    • Related to their traits & what they are living
    • Whims according to their aspirations

Turn on/off
    • The physical ones should affect the relationships & interests should affect friendships
    • Preferences on jobs, hair/eyes color, traits, body type, age, gender, clothes etc
    • Married sims shouldn't always be in love, the relationship should decrease with time, evolution of traits, interests etc

Emotions
    • Decrease the impact of the happy emotion!
    • The ''fine'' emotion should be the base one instead of the happy one
    • Stop the lunatic behaviours : when a sim dies they shouldn't be sad and right after happy cause the house is well decorated & the food was great
    • Auras should be less strong
    • Good balance between emotions ex : a sad sim > he/she didn't eat > stays sad instead of uncomfortable > needs to sleep > becomes very sad instead of very uncomfortable. Make something like the meaningful stories mod!
    • Real gameplay instead of temporary buffs
    • Sims shouldn't flirt with everyone when they are flirty
    • A fear emotion

Traits
    • More slots and a ''random traits'' button
    • Impactful traits & special interactions : only geek sims should always play computer, loner sims shouldn't talk to everybody in the street & they should avoid people (eat at the other table etc), evil sims should autonomously do means interactions etc.
    • More special interactions instead of moodlets. A bookworm should read faster, hate watching TV, gain more fun while reading, love reading to children etc. Lazy sims could have the interactions to lay on the sofa, eat chips on the sofa etc. Not just another ''discuss off'' recycled interaction
    • Every trait should have an opposite

Memory
    • They should remember to who they are married, who was rude etc
    • Sim can be scared of relive a bad memory
    • They should remember big events

Reactions, behaviours & relations
    • A fury and joy system : being mad at someone to the point where the sim can wish to see X dies and Y being fired etc, for the joy system it should be easier to build a friendship, the sim will accept pratically everything, give a lot of money etc. This system should be related to the memory.
    • Better reactions to death, cheat on, enemies etc
    • Reactions related to the traits
    • Parents should be more careful with their children : if they are hungry they should cook, put them to the bed etc.

Wants & fears
    • They should be according to what happens in the life of a sim & the traits of the sim
    • It can have an impact on their emotions, for example a sim can have a breakdown if too many of his/her fears have been realized.

Favorites food, drink, color
    • When a sim wear the color he/she likes, he should be happy (not a strong moodlet)
    • If his/her favorite drink/food is bad quality the sim should be angry/sad according to his/her traits

Extra things
    • Improve the ''away system'' : sims shouldn't be eating breakfest at 9PM, they should fill their needs, do the activities they like, continue sleeping if it's late etc

Wow it took me more than 1 hour to do this. I hope I didn't forget something important. I'm gonna try to do these summaries every Sunday if there's new ideas & I hope it will be useful for you & for the devs. If I make these summaries this is to help you devs, so please look at them & of course the amazing feedbacks in this thread. I'm sorry if there's any mistakes. Thank's again for the support simmers! :wink:

You did a great job with this Jordan, summing up everyone's ideas. We should keep this going though, so the developers can actually see how we feel about the games current state.

Thank you! Yep, I hope and I'm sure they already noticed this thread.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I really still want a fear emotion added in.. in some sort of overhaul. I doesn't seem right to me to be shocked, uncomfortable or tense in the place of being scared. I don't think it's beyond the ratings either. Also as more supernaturals come in.. and I'm sure they will. There will be more opportunity to use it.

The next thing I'd want is a way to make subdued, stoic or basically sims that have a tighter reign on their emotions. I don't want all sims to be this way .. they can tweak the emotions some overall but I really don't mind the system as is. I just can't make those types of sims that are more serious... and I very much want too.

In the posts I've read here and in the past about some type of attraction system. I'd rather have a turn on and turn off's type of system back. I want a cheat also available to change them in case the game makes choices I don't agree with. I'm just worried that my sims that I've played for some time will suddenly be someone I don't want them to be.

About favorites... I want to pick them for my sim. If I make a sim that I see as a (wine) lover. I really don't want their favorite drink to be some sort of ale or worse yet.. water. I'd also like it if that favorite meant something. As in if they are drinking (wine) they will be happier for it and it would show in the way of a moodlet. I don't pay attention to the system now in place for .. I don't even know how it's worded but when they proclaim a favorite drink, movie or season. I just don't utilize what's there now.
    egTcBMc.png
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    great summary!

u reminded me how annoyed i get when one sim travels. why is it we have a care for self option but the remaining sims have been frozen on the spot and when i come back are exactly the same?

has my sim travelled in a tardis, been gone for weeks and been returned one minute after they left? it really really annoys me.

toddlers, and animals are the worst. playing an active career while the other parent is at home and come back to have minutes to feed the toddler lest it be removed? ridiculous.

normal household routines should be followed. my sim was tired when my other sim left, so they should sleep instead of doing lord knows what and still being tired when i get back.

eugh, i needed to vent that! thank you for reminding me about this. it goes without saying, when my husband leaves the home, i eat, sleep if needed, use the bathroom, etc etc i dont stand in one spot pining for his return neglecting myself. sims are a LIFE simulation not a Prozac/Valium simulation
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I love this thread. <3

Sim personalities have been my main concern for a long time. I feel that no matter what kind of DLC is added, the game always has this background feeling of being incomplete, and the gameplay itself has a lingering shallowness that sometimes makes it hard to pinpoint what the actual problem is.

Now, I do like playing Sims 4, and there are definitely certain packs that have contributed a world of difference to my enjoyment of the game. But my engagement still feels like it wears out more quickly than it should. And I really believe that it's because the Sims just don't feel like they have a lot of individuality or deep, personal drives. This is disheartening because a Sims game is supposed to be, first and foremost, about the Sims themselves. I feel that really detailing and adding to each Sim's uniqueness should be the top and continuing priority of any Sims iteration. It's a game about these virtual beings, and so these beings need to be believable and diverse. I know that the devs have been doing a great job in continuing to add to the physical and cultural diversity of our Sims, but why doesn't it feel like they are giving equal importance to character diversity?

So here are some top things that I, personally, would like to see brought into the game to help fix this feeling of insignificance of my population:
    • A Fear emotion and individual Fear choices. This is something that I still can't believe was overlooked for game release. They chose to make the Sims 4 heavy on emotional gameplay but left out the entirety of a spectrum of a very common and main human emotion. Fear should have at least been added in by now. I would even say it's more important than toddlers because it is a basic part of any person's psychological makeup. Fear, Anxiety, Phobias, Dread.... these things should have been implemented in this game from the start. Every time we get new content where Fear would play a huge part, like Vampires, Jungle Adventures, StrangerVille, or anything that might cause a Sim anxiety, I feel this large, glaring absence. And I notice it every single time they release a trailer that shows Sims expressing Fear or trepidation and I just want to tear my own eyeballs out in frustration because it's all smoke and mirrors and doesn't even exist. Our Sims don't even know minor fears, like fear of failure, or that their children won't do well in school, or that they'll be rejected by a crush. It's so essential to the natural development of a person that it's just ludicrous to be forgotten for so long.
    • Flaws. My God, I need my Sims to have more flaws. I don't even use the rewards store hardly at all because everything our Sims do is automatically rewarded. It's like they get a happiness trophy for merely existing. Why don't we have something similar to the Rewards store that allows us to pick and choose things that inhibit our Sims? This is also something that should be in basic character creation by now. We should be able to choose traits and separate (optional) Flaws, so our Sims don't feel like they are all Mary Sues in someone's Fan Fiction.
    • Attraction preferences. Why we didn't get something like this in City Living or Get Together is just weird to me. My Sims feel like they have no discrepancies for a potential date. They'll take anyone, of any age, of any body type, of any career, of any gender, of any hair color, of any style, of any attitude, etc. I'd really love to be able to make a skinny Sim who prefers big partners, or someone who only dates vegetarians, or another who seeks out older, rich, successful Sims. Having a variety of choices to distinguish these preferences would go a really long way in even simple gameplay. Imagine taking a Sim out to a club and watching others interact and reject or gravitate toward each other while you search for someone who meets your criteria. This little bit of realism would bring a lot of entertainment.
    • General preferences. Since Traits don't seem to make a whole lot of difference, how about being able to choose a few things that our Sims like or dislike in their daily lives? Maybe one Sim loves to watch TV, wear purple, and hates shabby decor. Meanwhile, their roommate hates TV, but loves to read and gossip to other Sims. Being able to make these kinds of selections would help our Sims really come alive and feel like individuals with differences and compatibilities. Sometimes it's just little things like these that make the game more immersive.

I keep hoping that something is in the works to help embellish and bring to life the personalities of our Sims. Because if this game continues through its life without ever adding distinguishing characteristics or fulfilling the emotional spectrum, I feel that the Sims 4 will always be seen as generally mediocre and incomplete, compared to its predecessors. And what kind of influence would that have if we get a Sims 5? I hate to say it, but I know it would certainly damage my own confidence in a successor.

So please, devs... please give our Sims that much-needed diversity that is long overdue.

This thing flaws. I think it would be awesome if each trait has a flaw itself. Really, since not everything is positive, and that there are side effects of course. For example, neat sims as of now, always wants to clean things, but then when everything is dirty they get uncomfortable. Its balanced. Every trait in The Sims 4 should be that. Good sims become sad when they meet an evil sim, but really that is about it, the flaw isn't big enough, and aside from not doing wohoo in the coffin, or "Discussing World PEAce" what does a good sim really do? They need flaws and more interactions

If they cannot put flaws in the traits, what if do a system similar to vampires and fame. A system which balances the positive and negative possible traits of a sim. Habbits such as drinking can be actually permanent, while traits can either boost it or not. Like a foodie sim can become addicted to juice faster than other sim.

Also small personality details. Add favorites. It adds detail into the game. If a sim loves grilled cheese, you will see your sim eating it always. Small but huge detail. We need everything that can give our sims personality.

The features that they add in DLC that adds more personality for the sims themselves provides depth, there is no denying that, but if the foundation, the base game personality systems isn't deep enough, then new personality system they introduced will always feel that they are missing something.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I forgot to add hope this won't count to bumping threads, but can we make it a thread similar to, "Ideas for glance of Toddlers"? That was an amazing threads full of ideas, some even made it happen into the game.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    you forgot the most important thing a toggle to turn off these features if certain players went to keep the actual system of emotions
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    edited March 2019
    TS1299 wrote: »
    I forgot to add hope this won't count to bumping threads, but can we make it a thread similar to, "Ideas for glance of Toddlers"? That was an amazing threads full of ideas, some even made it happen into the game.

Yeah I asked to @EA_Mai to pin this thread but she didn't. 🤷‍♂️
    Post edited by Jordan061102 on
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    So much this, especially number 5.

And they aren't even consistent. A mother will get beat up and basically laugh over it, but the (kicked out) daughter refuses to visit for holidays, but keeps promising her new "mentor" that she will work on her relationship with her mum. LIE! ... Ahem, anyway. That "fix relationship" thing is a huge lie. You use it then rotate to the target, and see a notification that they ARE working on it. No, I'm playing the other person and they're not, they didn't, I didn't play anyone in between. Lies! Fake. Which is it, all laughs or chilled on ice? Sorry, that's just the newest annoyance I've had with teens beating up their parents.

Also, that "mentor" Sim is a bookworm but she almost never reads. Her go-to is the stereo, second is the TV. Not cool. Most other Sims seem to like to read more than she does. Arrgh.

At least these Sims have drama, but the mother just ignores it. I actually pretended that the daughter was TAKEN away, so the mother wasn't even the one who kicked her out. Oblivious. So sad.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    All my sims personalities exist in only my imagination. I'm a rotational player and it is so hard for me to remember everyone's distinct personality so yeah I wish I had EA's help with this.

I have certain clubs at war with each other. I go out of my way to make sure they all hate each other but then when I'm out to eat with a few of my group outside an actual gathering, and the a few from the other club show up, they all act like best friends...siblings that I purposefully make not like each other will slowly build back up on their own if I'm not constantly stepping in and making them argue.

Point is everyone acts the same to everybody. If they have mean trait I've noticed they can be argumentative and loners get tense but...it just doesn't work. Mean people are not just mean to everyone no exceptions and my loner is a veterinarian and gets tense at work. It just seems broken. And everyone is right. All sims will automatically play video games, read, watch TV, clean, and I dont like the feel of playing with autonomy off. I have to lock up computers in certain rooms because everyone is obsessed to the point of aggravating me. When you invite your grandma over she doesn't ignore you to hop on your computer and play video games...it's just wrong lol.
  • tommynocker001tommynocker001 Posts: 187 Member
    edited March 2019
    ^^ So everything above. [Technophobes] that obsess over the computer for hours. Where is the ability to write books? Nowhere but a computer, apparently. What is the programming skill for? Is everyone in EA really a hacker? ;) You can't crack a joke without maxing the comedy skill. You can't glance at a TV without maxing the cooking skill. Not allowed to use a bar without learning the mixology skill... I could go on and on. *Oh yeah, everybody has a mobile welded to their hip...

It's these things that define a sim. A hothead with the charisma skill should be different to a good personality with the gardening skill, but when you get under the hood of the NPC sims they are all the same bland paste of meh. Taking the time to try and create anything different is immediately wiped out by automation the first time you venture away from your home lot...
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I really still want a fear emotion added in.. in some sort of overhaul. I doesn't seem right to me to be shocked, uncomfortable or tense in the place of being scared. I don't think it's beyond the ratings either. Also as more supernaturals come in.. and I'm sure they will. There will be more opportunity to use it.

The next thing I'd want is a way to make subdued, stoic or basically sims that have a tighter reign on their emotions. I don't want all sims to be this way .. they can tweak the emotions some overall but I really don't mind the system as is. I just can't make those types of sims that are more serious... and I very much want too.

In the posts I've read here and in the past about some type of attraction system. I'd rather have a turn on and turn off's type of system back. I want a cheat also available to change them in case the game makes choices I don't agree with. I'm just worried that my sims that I've played for some time will suddenly be someone I don't want them to be.

About favorites... I want to pick them for my sim. If I make a sim that I see as a (wine) lover. I really don't want their favorite drink to be some sort of ale or worse yet.. water. I'd also like it if that favorite meant something. As in if they are drinking (wine) they will be happier for it and it would show in the way of a moodlet. I don't pay attention to the system now in place for .. I don't even know how it's worded but when they proclaim a favorite drink, movie or season. I just don't utilize what's there now.

The fear emotion is one of the things I most want for the game. I also liked an earlier poster's suggestion for childhood-only traits. It would be nice to have a sub-trait for toddlers, and if we ever get a baby update, I'd very much like some variation in babies - some fussy, some happy, some barfy. (I think I'm still traumatised by the spit-up babies of past Sims - I never bounce babies right after feeding.)

We need more traits, and then the ability to select up to five. I'd like to see some traits return (serious, as you mention, was in past games, I think?). I'd also like to see some traits we've never had before. (I don't know, surprise me!) I was pleased with the way the outdoorsy trait was integrated with Seasons (they don't get tense during thunderstorms), and I'd like to see more of that. (I probably have a different experience of Sim personalities than most players, since I almost always play with autonomy off. So, I don't have them doing things that don't make sense for the personality I've envisioned.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member

The fear emotion is one of the things I most want for the game. I also liked an earlier poster's suggestion for childhood-only traits. It would be nice to have a sub-trait for toddlers, and if we ever get a baby update, I'd very much like some variation in babies - some fussy, some happy, some barfy. (I think I'm still traumatised by the spit-up babies of past Sims - I never bounce babies right after feeding.)

We need more traits, and then the ability to select up to five. I'd like to see some traits return (serious, as you mention, was in past games, I think?). I'd also like to see some traits we've never had before. (I don't know, surprise me!) I was pleased with the way the outdoorsy trait was integrated with Seasons (they don't get tense during thunderstorms), and I'd like to see more of that. (I probably have a different experience of Sim personalities than most players, since I almost always play with autonomy off. So, I don't have them doing things that don't make sense for the personality I've envisioned.)

:o I did not know that!
    sazzieJ wrote: »
    great summary!

u reminded me how annoyed i get when one sim travels. why is it we have a care for self option but the remaining sims have been frozen on the spot and when i come back are exactly the same?

has my sim travelled in a tardis, been gone for weeks and been returned one minute after they left? it really really annoys me.

toddlers, and animals are the worst. playing an active career while the other parent is at home and come back to have minutes to feed the toddler lest it be removed? ridiculous.

normal household routines should be followed. my sim was tired when my other sim left, so they should sleep instead of doing lord knows what and still being tired when i get back.

eugh, i needed to vent that! thank you for reminding me about this. it goes without saying, when my husband leaves the home, i eat, sleep if needed, use the bathroom, etc etc i dont stand in one spot pining for his return neglecting myself. sims are a LIFE simulation not a Prozac/Valium simulation

Yeah the away system is horrible. It's the reason why I tend to not travel that much & do not play that much with active careers...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
    soko37 wrote: »
    All my sims personalities exist in only my imagination. I'm a rotational player and it is so hard for me to remember everyone's distinct personality so yeah I wish I had EA's help with this.

I have certain clubs at war with each other. I go out of my way to make sure they all hate each other but then when I'm out to eat with a few of my group outside an actual gathering, and the a few from the other club show up, they all act like best friends...siblings that I purposefully make not like each other will slowly build back up on their own if I'm not constantly stepping in and making them argue.

Point is everyone acts the same to everybody. If they have mean trait I've noticed they can be argumentative and loners get tense but...it just doesn't work. Mean people are not just mean to everyone no exceptions and my loner is a veterinarian and gets tense at work. It just seems broken. And everyone is right. All sims will automatically play video games, read, watch TV, clean, and I dont like the feel of playing with autonomy off. I have to lock up computers in certain rooms because everyone is obsessed to the point of aggravating me. When you invite your grandma over she doesn't ignore you to hop on your computer and play video games...it's just wrong lol.

This is exactly how it is when I play too. I have to put in so much effort to create these character that should already be there in some form. It fails miserably every time.

• GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    -Traits should have more gameplay that is not tied to mere moodlets, specially if they are not emotional traits. Stop relying so much on moodlets, moodlets are generic and BORING, The Sims 3 had moodlets but the sims did have emotions, they did feel sad, afraid, uncomfortable, anger, it just wans't tied so much to boring +1s.

-Traits should trump emotions in autonomy, always, I can see how it might a design choice to make sims change their behavior according to the emotion they are feeling, but the problem is that the sims are always feeling something, so if emotions have that much impact on how they act then they will never act according to their traits, ever.

-Emotional traits should not just give a weak random moodlet from time to time which will be buried under dozens of Happy moodlets anyway, but also buff that emotion itself, make it have different effects, and make it easier for your Sims to get into that emotion.

-There should be more un-emotional traits like Unflirty that reduces the chance of the Sim having that emotion, we desperately need the "No sense of humour" trait from The Sims 3 back, we could also have the "Absent-minded" trait from The Sims 3 as a trait that makes it harder to get Focused, we could have a new one "Chill" that makes it hard to get angry, etc.. all in all, we need more variety.

-Chemistry system, dear god, WE NEED A CHEMISTRY SYSTEM FOR NOW, it's really sad when you play with the Pancakes family, and even though their description says that Bob and Eliza have no chemistry whatsoever there's absolutely no difference at all in how they behave towards each other than any other couple around. Do you know what would be fun? trying to play with them and have the challenge of making a "no chemistry" couple work, the fact it would be difficult would give a sense of fulfillment when you finally managed to make them work, but it's not fun to play with them with the intention of following the "make them work" path because they are already like each other from the start, what's the point of going out of the way and making them having separate bedrooms, creating all that backstory, but then when you play the game none of it actually true?

-Overhaul the Happy emotion and how moodlets boost in general, modders have some very interesting ideias about it, I specially like the mod that makes the Uncomfortable moodlets boost negative emotions (but trump them if the uncomfortable score is higher than the negative emotion), I have no idea why this is not incorporated into the base game already (and I really wanted for uncomfortable boosting moodlets to be red instead of the hard-coded green). Fine should be the boosting emotion instead of Happy, Happy should be it's own emotion, all those environment moodlets and etc should be changed to Fine moodlets, that means, they do boost other positive emotions but don't put the sims in any emotion themselves, it's extremely unbalanced the sheer amount of happy moodlets right now, trust me here developers, everybody thinks this is not ok, it needs a change ASAP.
  • rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member

Likes and dislikes
    • Gain it based on what your sim actually does : for some hobbies such as cooking, computer etc you can't gain interest on this except if you have the foodie & geek traits otherwise every sims will love the same activities.
    • They should autonomously do their favorite hobbies but it shouldn't be too forced, they should do it when all their needs are full
    • Those preferences should act on their relations, they can discuss those interests with other sims but those who don't like the same things shouldn't agree (like what you did with wheater preferences in Seasons)
    • When you go back home they should do their hobbies instead of watching TV, playing chest etc (only when their needs are full of course)
    • A sim should gain boost on activities he/she likes (if it is a skill) however if this is something a sim doesn't like it should be harder for him to developp this skill

Whims
    • They should be related to what the sim is doing at that time, not random and illogical (sometimes I have sims who want to walk their dog after it died)

Turn on/off
    • The physical ones should affect the relationships & interests should affect friendships
    • Preferences on jobs, hair/eyes color, traits, body type, age, gender, clothes etc
    • Married sims shouldn't always be in love, the relationship should decrease with time, evolution of traits, interests etc

Emotions
    • Stop the lunatic behaviours : when a sim dies they shouldn't be sad and right after happy cause the house is well decorated & the food was great
    • Good balance between emotions ex : a sad sim > he/she didn't eat > stays sad instead of uncomfortable > needs to sleep > becomes very sad instead of very uncomfortable. Make something like the meaningful stories mod!
    • A fear emotion

Traits
    • Impactful traits & special interactions : only geek sims should always play computer, loner sims shouldn't talk to everybody in the street & they should avoid people (eat at the other table etc), evil sims should autonomously do means interactions etc.
    • More special interactions instead of moodlets. A bookworm should read faster, hate watching TV, gain more fun while reading, love reading to children etc. Lazy sims could have the interactions to lay on the sofa, eat chips on the sofa etc. Not just another ''discuss off'' recycled interaction

Memory

• A fury and joy system : being mad at someone to the point where the sim can wish to see X dies and Y being fired etc, for the joy system it should be easier to build a friendship, the sim will accept pratically everything, give a lot of money etc. This system should be related to the memory.
    • Parents should be more careful with their children : if they are hungry they should cook, put them to the bed etc.

Wants & fears
    • They should be according to what happens in the life of a sim & the traits of the sim
    • It can have an impact on their emotions, for example a sim can have a breakdown if too many of his/her fears have been realized.

• When a sim wear the color he/she likes, he should be happy (not a strong moodlet)
    • If his/her favorite drink/food is bad quality the sim should be angry/sad according to his/her traits

Extra things
    • Improve the ''away system'' : sims shouldn't be eating breakfest at 9PM, they should fill their needs, do the activities they like, continue sleeping if it's late etc

Wow it took me more than 1 hour to do this. I hope I didn't forget something important. I'm gonna try to do these summaries every Sunday if there's new ideas & I hope it will be useful for you & for the devs. If I make these summaries this is to help you devs, so please look at them & of course the amazing feedbacks in this thread. I'm sorry if there's any mistakes. Thank's again for the support simmers! :wink:

You did a great job with this Jordan, summing up everyone's ideas. We should keep this going though, so the developers can actually see how we feel about the games current state.

These ideas is exactly what the sims 4 needs to be the best iteration if they could pull this off it would add so much realism,drama and most importantly fun and interesting. I really really really hope they wil implement these ideas. I did notice simguru grant was answering questions today and skne were about more traits/ better personalities and i saw a lot of people commenting about how it needs to be fixed
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    @Jordan061102 I actually don't play the Sims 4... I'm a die hard Sims 3 fan. :blush:

However that being said, if EA promised unique and better personalities, a step up from the previous iterations, for The Sims 4 Sims, then they really should've delivered that on day one of its release. If someone breaks their word to me, that's really bothersome and it's hard for me to trust them again. :( I understand your struggle.

I know many people in this community that absolutely love The Sims 4, it was their first experience with the franchise, and they've done amazing things with it, especially in telling stories, so it makes me sad that many of the things that were promised, or were a part of the last iterations, aren't present in the game after what has it been? 4 years? That just su'cks. :(

Like I said in the other thread on this topic, if EA would listen to the veteran AND new players on what they'd like to see in the game, especially if they are still working on this one, then they should do their very best to deliver as they will make more money on it that way, rather than trying to make a profit appealing to new trends... (ie: Alexa...)

That's just my two cents.

Hope your voices get heard! Keep calm and Sim on my friends! :smile:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    emorrill wrote: »
    @Jordan061102 I actually don't play the Sims 4... I'm a die hard Sims 3 fan. :blush:

However that being said, if EA promised unique and better personalities, a step up from the previous iterations, for The Sims 4 Sims, then they really should've delivered that on day one of its release. If someone breaks their word to me, that's really bothersome and it's hard for me to trust them again. :( I understand your struggle.

I know many people in this community that absolutely love The Sims 4, it was their first experience with the franchise, and they've done amazing things with it, especially in telling stories, so it makes me sad that many of the things that were promised, or were a part of the last iterations, aren't present in the game after what has it been? 4 years? That just su'cks. :(

Like I said in the other thread on this topic, if EA would listen to the veteran AND new players on what they'd like to see in the game, especially if they are still working on this one, then they should do their very best to deliver as they will make more money on it that way, rather than trying to make a profit appealing to new trends... (ie: Alexa...)

That's just my two cents.

Hope your voices get heard! Keep calm and Sim on my friends! :smile:

Thank you for the support to TS4 players, that's kind! They need to add it. One of the key feature isn't even true, what a shame!

Again I'll respond to some posts later, but during the week I have less time.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    LiELF wrote: »
    I love this thread. <3

Sim personalities have been my main concern for a long time. I feel that no matter what kind of DLC is added, the game always has this background feeling of being incomplete, and the gameplay itself has a lingering shallowness that sometimes makes it hard to pinpoint what the actual problem is.

Now, I do like playing Sims 4, and there are definitely certain packs that have contributed a world of difference to my enjoyment of the game. But my engagement still feels like it wears out more quickly than it should. And I really believe that it's because the Sims just don't feel like they have a lot of individuality or deep, personal drives. This is disheartening because a Sims game is supposed to be, first and foremost, about the Sims themselves. I feel that really detailing and adding to each Sim's uniqueness should be the top and continuing priority of any Sims iteration. It's a game about these virtual beings, and so these beings need to be believable and diverse. I know that the devs have been doing a great job in continuing to add to the physical and cultural diversity of our Sims, but why doesn't it feel like they are giving equal importance to character diversity?

So here are some top things that I, personally, would like to see brought into the game to help fix this feeling of insignificance of my population:
    • A Fear emotion and individual Fear choices. This is something that I still can't believe was overlooked for game release. They chose to make the Sims 4 heavy on emotional gameplay but left out the entirety of a spectrum of a very common and main human emotion. Fear should have at least been added in by now. I would even say it's more important than toddlers because it is a basic part of any person's psychological makeup. Fear, Anxiety, Phobias, Dread.... these things should have been implemented in this game from the start. Every time we get new content where Fear would play a huge part, like Vampires, Jungle Adventures, StrangerVille, or anything that might cause a Sim anxiety, I feel this large, glaring absence. And I notice it every single time they release a trailer that shows Sims expressing Fear or trepidation and I just want to tear my own eyeballs out in frustration because it's all smoke and mirrors and doesn't even exist. Our Sims don't even know minor fears, like fear of failure, or that their children won't do well in school, or that they'll be rejected by a crush. It's so essential to the natural development of a person that it's just ludicrous to be forgotten for so long.
    • Flaws. My God, I need my Sims to have more flaws. I don't even use the rewards store hardly at all because everything our Sims do is automatically rewarded. It's like they get a happiness trophy for merely existing. Why don't we have something similar to the Rewards store that allows us to pick and choose things that inhibit our Sims? This is also something that should be in basic character creation by now. We should be able to choose traits and separate (optional) Flaws, so our Sims don't feel like they are all Mary Sues in someone's Fan Fiction.
    • Attraction preferences. Why we didn't get something like this in City Living or Get Together is just weird to me. My Sims feel like they have no discrepancies for a potential date. They'll take anyone, of any age, of any body type, of any career, of any gender, of any hair color, of any style, of any attitude, etc. I'd really love to be able to make a skinny Sim who prefers big partners, or someone who only dates vegetarians, or another who seeks out older, rich, successful Sims. Having a variety of choices to distinguish these preferences would go a really long way in even simple gameplay. Imagine taking a Sim out to a club and watching others interact and reject or gravitate toward each other while you search for someone who meets your criteria. This little bit of realism would bring a lot of entertainment.
    • General preferences. Since Traits don't seem to make a whole lot of difference, how about being able to choose a few things that our Sims like or dislike in their daily lives? Maybe one Sim loves to watch TV, wear purple, and hates shabby decor. Meanwhile, their roommate hates TV, but loves to read and gossip to other Sims. Being able to make these kinds of selections would help our Sims really come alive and feel like individuals with differences and compatibilities. Sometimes it's just little things like these that make the game more immersive.

I keep hoping that something is in the works to help embellish and bring to life the personalities of our Sims. Because if this game continues through its life without ever adding distinguishing characteristics or fulfilling the emotional spectrum, I feel that the Sims 4 will always be seen as generally mediocre and incomplete, compared to its predecessors. And what kind of influence would that have if we get a Sims 5? I hate to say it, but I know it would certainly damage my own confidence in a successor.

So please, devs... please give our Sims that much-needed diversity that is long overdue.

This thing flaws. I think it would be awesome if each trait has a flaw itself. Really, since not everything is positive, and that there are side effects of course. For example, neat sims as of now, always wants to clean things, but then when everything is dirty they get uncomfortable. Its balanced. Every trait in The Sims 4 should be that. Good sims become sad when they meet an evil sim, but really that is about it, the flaw isn't big enough, and aside from not doing wohoo in the coffin, or "Discussing World PEAce" what does a good sim really do? They need flaws and more interactions

If they cannot put flaws in the traits, what if do a system similar to vampires and fame. A system which balances the positive and negative possible traits of a sim. Habbits such as drinking can be actually permanent, while traits can either boost it or not. Like a foodie sim can become addicted to juice faster than other sim.

Also small personality details. Add favorites. It adds detail into the game. If a sim loves grilled cheese, you will see your sim eating it always. Small but huge detail. We need everything that can give our sims personality.

The features that they add in DLC that adds more personality for the sims themselves provides depth, there is no denying that, but if the foundation, the base game personality systems isn't deep enough, then new personality system they introduced will always feel that they are missing something.

Yeah there's not enough drama and bad things happening in TS4. Everything is flawless but in real life this isn't like this.

I would love it, but EA is not decided to pin this thread. Why @EA_Cian ?
    you forgot the most important thing a toggle to turn off these features if certain players went to keep the actual system of emotions

Don't know if that's possible. But toggles are always better for players who think like you.
    So much this, especially number 5.

And they aren't even consistent. A mother will get beat up and basically laugh over it, but the (kicked out) daughter refuses to visit for holidays, but keeps promising her new "mentor" that she will work on her relationship with her mum. LIE! ... Ahem, anyway. That "fix relationship" thing is a huge lie. You use it then rotate to the target, and see a notification that they ARE working on it. No, I'm playing the other person and they're not, they didn't, I didn't play anyone in between. Lies! Fake. Which is it, all laughs or chilled on ice? Sorry, that's just the newest annoyance I've had with teens beating up their parents.

Also, that "mentor" Sim is a bookworm but she almost never reads. Her go-to is the stereo, second is the TV. Not cool. Most other Sims seem to like to read more than she does. Arrgh.

At least these Sims have drama, but the mother just ignores it. I actually pretended that the daughter was TAKEN away, so the mother wasn't even the one who kicked her out. Oblivious. So sad.

Yeah, like we said, traits don't change anything to the gameplay, every sims are programmed to do the same things again and again... That's not interesting at all!
    soko37 wrote: »

I hate the fact that in TS4 it is to the player to imagine the gameplay. So what's the point to make it a game? Like I said before, if I want to imagine a story I take a paper and I write a book.
    ^^ So everything above. [Technophobes] that obsess over the computer for hours. Where is the ability to write books? Nowhere but a computer, apparently. What is the programming skill for? Is everyone in EA really a hacker? ;) You can't crack a joke without maxing the comedy skill. You can't glance at a TV without maxing the cooking skill. Not allowed to use a bar without learning the mixology skill... I could go on and on. *Oh yeah, everybody has a mobile welded to their hip...

It's these things that define a sim. A hothead with the charisma skill should be different to a good personality with the gardening skill, but when you get under the hood of the NPC sims they are all the same bland paste of meh. Taking the time to try and create anything different is immediately wiped out by automation the first time you venture away from your home lot...

Exactly, I'm so mad that they seem to have programmed this game so poorly. It was rushed for sure, but it's never too late to fix the issues! Right EA? 🙏

Co-signed, more traits (but impactfull) and more slots! Give us choices to make unique sims!
    Lu4ERme.gif

Likes and dislikes

Whims

Turn on/off

Emotions
    • A fear emotion

Traits

Memory

Wants & fears

Extra things

These ideas is exactly what the sims 4 needs to be the best iteration if they could pull this off it would add so much realism,drama and most importantly fun and interesting. I really really really hope they wil implement these ideas. I did notice simguru grant was answering questions today and skne were about more traits/ better personalities and i saw a lot of people commenting about how it needs to be fixed

I hope more & more people will ask for it. On twitter too, cuz gurus seem to only care of twitter.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • MilwayLangMilwayLang Posts: 180 Member
    edited March 2019
    Hmm, this thread seems interesting!
    Everyone had written their thoughts down, so I'll write a few of these:

Turn on & off / crushing system: This is good for storytelling. I'd love to see how they interact with each other. You can set other sims manually as your crush. I read a thread about crush system long ago, but still, it would be so cool if this would be implemented in the future update!

More Trait AND more "personality" & gameplay: I love how unflirty was added. They're somewhat different than others. They're difficult to be romancing someone, they hated to be hugged, etc.. Not just affects their emotion, but how they interact with another sim too! Like shy, serious, etc.

Fine Emotion is easier (and a little bit longer to achieve): Now I know you can get fine emotion if you're not doing anything - just sit there and wait until their need bars are halfway down. Or even have an everlasting fine a.k.a "Dampened Emotion" from Vampire pack. Or you can simply give them a specific trait. Like serious trait. It annoys me when sims just smiling just because there's one good environment on their room. I'd love to see them to not smiling so often for storytelling or a screenshot matter. It's sometimes creepy when they're just smiling... by themselves... doing nothing...
    Post edited by MilwayLang on
    Hello, my name is Soop Kreem. You can check my Adams' Family Tree

yh.jpg
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I completely agree! The whims are one of the big ones for me because I never feel like they reflect my Sims' traits at all. You could have a neat Sim standing in a room full of dirty dishes and laundry and they'll act just like any other Sim with the same emotional changes. I would like to see the whims be turned back into wants/wishes and maybe even bring back fears. I miss active Sims having a fear of getting fat, or a sloppy Sim being happy surrounded by filth. What about Sims that love the outdoors and eventually get stir crazy from being inside all day?

One of the hardest parts about enjoying The Sims 4 is the lack of personality in the Sims. Which is weird since when The Sims 4 Base Game was released, they constantly mentioned how the focus was on your Sims.
  • tommynocker001tommynocker001 Posts: 187 Member
    ...how the focus was on your Sims.

The sims 3 was about a vast, colourful world. The Sims 2 had the deep emotions and traits. Not sure what 4 brought to the table but it was not focus. It always looked like it was trying to be for a different market... maybe they were trying to make 1 again but for mobile gaming this time around. It was never terrible, but it was never a step up from what had gone before.
    edited March 2019
    I completely agree! The whims are one of the big ones for me because I never feel like they reflect my Sims' traits at all. You could have a neat Sim standing in a room full of dirty dishes and laundry and they'll act just like any other Sim with the same emotional changes. I would like to see the whims be turned back into wants/wishes and maybe even bring back fears. I miss active Sims having a fear of getting fat, or a sloppy Sim being happy surrounded by filth. What about Sims that love the outdoors and eventually get stir crazy from being inside all day?

One of the hardest parts about enjoying The Sims 4 is the lack of personality in the Sims. Which is weird since when The Sims 4 Base Game was released, they constantly mentioned how the focus was on your Sims.

Same, each time I play, I know the personalities will disappoint me. I always except my sims to react logically to the situation and their traits but they don't.. That's so sad. 😫
    MilwayLang wrote: »
    Hmm, this thread seems interesting!
    Everyone had written their thoughts down, so I'll write a few of these:

Turn on & off / crushing system: This is good for storytelling. I'd love to see how they interact with each other. You can set other sims manually as your crush. I read a thread about crush system long ago, but still, it would be so cool if this would be implemented in the future update!

More Trait AND more "personality" & gameplay: I love how unflirty was added. They're somewhat different than others. They're difficult to be romancing someone, they hated to be hugged, etc.. Not just affects their emotion, but how they interact with another sim too! Like shy, serious, etc.

Fine Emotion is easier (and a little bit longer to achieve): Now I know you can get fine emotion if you're not doing anything - just sit there and wait until their need bars are halfway down. Or even have an everlasting fine a.k.a "Dampened Emotion" from Vampire pack. Or you can simply give them a specific trait. Like serious trait. It annoys me when sims just smiling just because there's one good environment on their room. I'd love to see them to not smiling so often for storytelling or a screenshot matter. It's sometimes creepy when they're just smiling... by themselves... doing nothing...

All you said, I just wish my sims will stop smiling like that all the time. It's so creepy and annoying!
    Grynn wrote: »
    -Traits should have more gameplay that is not tied to mere moodlets, specially if they are not emotional traits. Stop relying so much on moodlets, moodlets are generic and BORING, The Sims 3 had moodlets but the sims did have emotions, they did feel sad, afraid, uncomfortable, anger, it just wans't tied so much to boring +1s.

-Traits should trump emotions in autonomy, always, I can see how it might a design choice to make sims change their behavior according to the emotion they are feeling, but the problem is that the sims are always feeling something, so if emotions have that much impact on how they act then they will never act according to their traits, ever.

-Emotional traits should not just give a weak random moodlet from time to time which will be buried under dozens of Happy moodlets anyway, but also buff that emotion itself, make it have different effects, and make it easier for your Sims to get into that emotion.

-There should be more un-emotional traits like Unflirty that reduces the chance of the Sim having that emotion, we desperately need the "No sense of humour" trait from The Sims 3 back, we could also have the "Absent-minded" trait from The Sims 3 as a trait that makes it harder to get Focused, we could have a new one "Chill" that makes it hard to get angry, etc.. all in all, we need more variety.

-Chemistry system, dear god, WE NEED A CHEMISTRY SYSTEM FOR NOW, it's really sad when you play with the Pancakes family, and even though their description says that Bob and Eliza have no chemistry whatsoever there's absolutely no difference at all in how they behave towards each other than any other couple around. Do you know what would be fun? trying to play with them and have the challenge of making a "no chemistry" couple work, the fact it would be difficult would give a sense of fulfillment when you finally managed to make them work, but it's not fun to play with them with the intention of following the "make them work" path because they are already like each other from the start, what's the point of going out of the way and making them having separate bedrooms, creating all that backstory, but then when you play the game none of it actually true?

-Overhaul the Happy emotion and how moodlets boost in general, modders have some very interesting ideias about it, I specially like the mod that makes the Uncomfortable moodlets boost negative emotions (but trump them if the uncomfortable score is higher than the negative emotion), I have no idea why this is not incorporated into the base game already (and I really wanted for uncomfortable boosting moodlets to be red instead of the hard-coded green). Fine should be the boosting emotion instead of Happy, Happy should be it's own emotion, all those environment moodlets and etc should be changed to Fine moodlets, that means, they do boost other positive emotions but don't put the sims in any emotion themselves, it's extremely unbalanced the sheer amount of happy moodlets right now, trust me here developers, everybody thinks this is not ok, it needs a change ASAP.

I agree so much with you. The state of the Pancakes is awful, what's the point of talking about chemestry if there is not even a proper system. It's just like "haha we are talking about this feature that you don't have in the game to annoy you". Meh. 😩
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • DESERTFLOWER1981DESERTFLOWER1981 Posts: 90 Member
    edited March 2019
    I have been Simming since the very first day all those years ago, I have only recently purchased and played the Sims 4. However, one of my concerns about the game is about the Personalities. This is my Humble Opinion and based off of my own experiences in the game.

Situation one: My sim has just broken off an engagement, both parties are highly ticked at each other, but wait they don't seem mad; in fact they are just standing there and hug each other, talk to each other cordially like nothing just happened. Their bubble is ticked, their moodlet is ticked, and they are now loathing each other in the romance meter. Then they show up to the house and still call like nothing happened. Even after you take away the key you gave them, they come by and give you a big hug, their friendship meter however indicates a death match should be under way. Instead they had amnesia of the events that made them mad and they are chummy.

Wait what? What happened to sims actually glaring at each other and getting angry every time they saw that sim after, what about the sassy confrontations? You know even days later when they see that sim they still grudge pretty hard.

Situation two: My neighbor is walking by, no big deal, I will just keep doing what I am doing. My crush/girlfriend is walking by, no big deal, I will just keep doing what I am doing.

wait what? What happened to sims actually looking at their crush as they walk by? what happened to the thought bubble showing that sweetheart just made their pulse quick?

These are two main examples that I experienced in my own game playing that made me alarmed. It was blaring drastic compared to the Sims 3 I just played a week before. The interactions and subtle things that make the sims less robotic and more sim like/people like. subtle things that we notice about our sims, how they respond, how the mood system responds, how memories are made.

The personality in the Sims 4 really needs an overhaul.

The noticeable one after playing with a family for more than a generation, story progression, not just age progression.

All of my sims feel the same and act the same, I may pick traits but unless I have them doing an interaction they hardly have their own personalities on their own. When left on their own they opt for reading a book, listening to music, watching tv, or playing games. What happened to them doing things they liked on their own out of the general norm, I would expect that from my sims just starting off with a clean slate, but would expect more interaction as they learned more of a particular skill.

I also think more personality traits, likes and dislikes, would be nice, I was surprised to see this was not really developed. I loved that my sims could have specific likes such as food, type of music, ect. It would be nice to see a sim go into the kitchen and make a meal like prefer, turn on a channel they like, listen to music they like. The biggest thing that made me hysterical in the past is seeing a sim nearly gag on their first terrible or burnt meal. That's pretty funny, or when they would run to the toilet to throw up the bad meal. Maybe gross, but so realistic.

I think that there should be more traits available for each age, and when my sim does not like kids, I want them to let me know in some way that the kid around them is irritating them.

There really has been some great suggestions. I would love to see this make its way as a patch in the game. I want my sims to react without having to be told to react. I want my sims to interact without having to be told to interact. I want them to have good and bad experiences while they are in the town and I am playing in another household.

I do miss the memories, sometimes it was fun to look back and see what my sim was up to while I was playing with another household.

This is certainly not a comprehensive list, but the main things I have noticed in 3 months I have been playing The Sims 4.

Cheers!
    I am writing a story, want to read it?
    Visit my blog here
    Visit the latest update for the discussion here