Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 base game isn't working.

Months ago, I had the Sims 3 and all of my expansion and stuff packs on my laptop. However, because of battery problems, my sister thought it was my actual laptop and rebooted it. In the process, I lost all of my games. Recently, I reinstalled them, and most of them were the Sims 3 and the expansion and stuff packs that I have. Yesterday, I tried to play it, but it wouldn't work. The launcher wouldn't even open. The pop-up would just appear for a split second saying "The Sims 3 has stopped working." I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, but it still wouldn't work.

Then something strange happened. The last few times I tried to reinstall it, it didn't ask for the product code. I tried Googling some answers and one forum said to delete the missingdeps.idx file, so I did that. Then I tried to reinstall the base game again. I stopped it because it still didn't ask for the product code.

Someone please help. I really want to play this game. :(

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    It sounds like your uninstall attempts might not have been complete. When you run the built-in uninstaller, bits and pieces of the game still often get left behind including the original code entries which aren't necessarily going to work if you aren't prompted for them again. Some of these bits and pieces are in files, but mostly in the Registry (on Windows) and in other hidden places (on Macs).

Here are the complete uninstall instructions for Win XP, Vista, 7 (8.x and 10 should be similar) and Mac OS X. On the Windows side, if you find the Registry key removal steps daunting, you may want to use a third party Registry utility like CCleaner to do a cleanup but any leftover keys are going to make a subsequent reinstall impossible to work.
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    KairiaSouhmaKairiaSouhma Posts: 8 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > It sounds like your uninstall attempts might not have been complete. When you run the built-in uninstaller, bits and pieces of the game still often get left behind including the original code entries which aren't necessarily going to work if you aren't prompted for them again. Some of these bits and pieces are in files, but mostly in the Registry (on Windows) and in other hidden places (on Macs).
    >
    > Here are the complete uninstall instructions for Win XP, Vista, 7 (8.x and 10 should be similar) and Mac OS X. On the Windows side, if you find the Registry key removal steps daunting, you may want to use a third party Registry utility like CCleaner to do a cleanup but any leftover keys are going to make a subsequent reinstall impossible to work.

I followed the instructions in the link you gave me. I cut and pasted the Sims (documents) folder onto my desktop. However, when I got to the program files step, there wasn't the Sims 3 folder in the EA folder. There was one in the Orgin Games folder though, and I deleted it.

When it came to the registry part, I didn't have to delete anything because none of the Sims 3 things were there.

But when I tried to re-install the base game, it still didn't ask for the product code, so I stopped it. :(
  • Options
    I find it odd to hear that the built-in uninstaller actually removed all traces of the game from the Registry. I mean, in an otherwise perfect world it probably should, but this one is notorious for not doing so. Willing to give CCleaner a try to see if it finds anything after another uninstall attempt?

Also calling on an expert to see if we're missing something obvious here.
    @ceejay402
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > I find it odd to hear that the built-in uninstaller actually removed all traces of the game from the Registry. I mean, in an otherwise perfect world it probably should, but this one is notorious for not doing so. Willing to give CCleaner a try to see if it finds anything after another uninstall attempt?
    >
    > Also calling on an expert to see if we're missing something obvious here.
    > ceejay402

I tried to use CC Cleaner earlier, but I don't know how to use it. I searched around on it though, but I didn't see the Sims 3. I'm willing to try again. o:
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    > @igazor said:
    > I find it odd to hear that the built-in uninstaller actually removed all traces of the game from the Registry. I mean, in an otherwise perfect world it probably should, but this one is notorious for not doing so. Willing to give CCleaner a try to see if it finds anything after another uninstall attempt?
    >
    > Also calling on an expert to see if we're missing something obvious here.
    > ceejay402

I tried to use CC Cleaner earlier, but I don't know how to use it. I searched around on it though, but I didn't see the Sims 3. I'm willing to try again. o:

uninstall the base game.

Use cc cleaner to clean your computer registry and get any sims files off the registry http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

How to use cc cleaner http://www.wikihow.com/Use-CCleaner

Shut down all antivirus and reinstall the base game

Then use the superpatch http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulative-manual-update#latest

then turn back on your antivirus
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13

I'm sorry for being a bother, but which items do I check (under registry)?
    I don't want to delete any important things. ;-;
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13

I'm sorry for being a bother, but which items do I check (under registry)?
    I don't want to delete any important things. ;-;

I clean the whole registry, it gives you the option to save the registry before deleting so save just in case. you can always restore the registry if you have to.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    @phoebebebe13

I used CCleaner to fix the issues, but it says none of the issues could be found. Sims 3 was a few of the issues.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    @phoebebebe13

I used CCleaner to fix the issues, but it says none of the issues could be found. Sims 3 was a few of the issues.

hey @KairiaSouhma

these are the steps i suggest for ccleaner

Cleaning up the Registry
    Download the free version of this registry cleaner program,
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

• install it, following the on-screen instructions.
    • Launch the program after installation has completed.
    • Click the Registry tab, and click the Scan for Issues button.
    • When scanning has completed, click the Fix Selected Issues... button.
    • When you're prompted to backup, click Yes, accept the default name and location
    • Click Fix All Selected Issues

Taken from http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13

This is how I always install, Now turn off your antivirus including windows defender, download the base game, patch the base game using he superpatch and turn back on your antivirus
  • Options
    i also you stated The last few times I tried to reinstall it, it didn't ask for the product code

how are you trying to install the game via disc or origin? if via origin it shouldn't ask for a code
  • Options
    @ceejay402

I use the disc.
  • Options
    @ceejay402

I use the disc.

sorry if your using disc do the same. I have installed both disc and download the same way. I turn off antivirus that can interfere with the install and then turn it back on.
  • Options
    @ceejay402

I use the disc.
    ok maybe what you should do then is register the games at origin if you havent yet and install the game via origin under my game.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 @ceejay402

I disabled my antivirus, but it still didn't ask for the product code.

I registered the base game on Origin, and now it's downloading.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 @ceejay402

I disabled my antivirus, but it still didn't ask for the product code.

I registered the base game on Origin, and now it's downloading.

Ever since they have attached origin to the base game it does cause some disc users issues. You would be better off using the download. I haven't used my disc in a long time
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 @ceejay402 @igazor

I see. :c

Thank you all for all of your help. It'll be a long time until it finishes downloading. It's not even on 1% yet. ;u;'
  • Options

Thank you all for all of your help. It'll be a long time until it finishes downloading. It's not even on 1% yet. ;u;'

Glad to hear good luck!
  • Options

your welcome and once your done downloading and patching the base game test it. If you have more issues just post back
  • Options
    spongebob1245spongebob1245 Posts: 15 New Member
    I'm not sure where to post this so I'm just gonna post it here I recently downloaded the sims 3 and everything works but when I try to download stuff from exchange or get cc it says unknown error has occured
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I'm not sure where to post this so I'm just gonna post it here I recently downloaded the sims 3 and everything works but when I try to download stuff from exchange or get cc it says unknown error has occured
    Not on an unrelated four year old thread. I will answer on the New Users thread under Tech, but I'm afraid that posting the same question in multiple places across the forum is not going to get you assistance any faster. :/
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16989599/#Comment_16989599
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Please don't necropost in old threads. I'm going to go ahead and close off this thread now as it has been inactive since 2015, If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top