Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Fenbury

Comments

• KhemKat19KhemKat19 Posts: 129 Member
    That sunset (sunrise?) picture is gorgeous! <3 glad things are going well in Fenbury! I hope you're getting plenty of rest! It's definitely important to help family, but take care of yourself as well <3 (oh, and I'm so sorry I never posted pictures of the interior of the house you uploaded for me, I started decorating but then RL took over, I haven't had a ton of simming time lately - I hope to get back to it soon!)
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hello @KhemKat19 glad you liked the sunset :smiley: Yes I am resting hubby makes sure I do. The work on Fenbury is mainly structural at the moment with interior decoration for light relief. Am still plucking up courage to install mods for the rabbit hole rugs. I would love to see pics if the house interior when RL permits. Take care.

Betty
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    Village Green looks so beautiful.
    Earcat wrote: »
    Village Green looks so beautiful.

Thank you :D
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
    The past few days have been very frustrating. I did clear the village green and Betty's coffee shop so that I could level the ground. Well that ended in tears so I have left it until I am in a better frame of mind. Then I tried to smooth out some of my roads. This was fine until I saw the damage I had done to the roads linking the bridge. This brought on a major panic, the air turned blue with swear words and I had to drink strong coffee to calm me down. I am pleased to say after several attempts the bridge has now rejoined the road network. Finally I turned my attention to bollards. A very boring topic perhaps but necessary. I have fallen in love with the metal bollards which came with the base game and even though it is not at all authentic I have used them throughout Fenbury. I also managed to take some arty pics while I did it. Please try to stay awake while viewing :D:D

78Lax1R.png

TIqpMcL.png

orFGxao.png

vZXDMoB.png

It is getting to that time when I can't put off installing mods any longer. If I want to keep the community lots I have built, like the military base and the hospital above, then I need to have rabbit hole rugs to get the lots to work correctly. Otherwise the to do list is getting a bit smaller but be warned the next post is likely to be about sign and traffic light placement :D:D

Sim enim est vita
  • KhemKat19KhemKat19 Posts: 129 Member
    These are lovely pictures! I especially like that building in the second image (I know I say this practically every time I comment on this thread, but I ADORE your buildings!)
    I don't know if anyone has suggested this before, but if you're really against mods you can keep your custom buildings and just put the official rabbithole building in the basement (ex. the military base: just build a basement under your custom military building, with a way down (stairs/elevator) so sims can access the rabbithole door - you'll need to have moveobjects enabled when placing the rabbithole building in the basement). That way the game still reads it as being the proper EA rabbithole and the sims will still use the rabbithole, but the aesthetics are custom.
    There's also a mod (by Zerbu) that allows "open workplaces." It requires quite a bit of setup, but if you build custom workplaces and want sims to actively use them, this mod will enable that.
    Personally, I love mods, and I think once you try them you won't want to go back! Especially the NRaas suite - they're amazing! The game runs so much more beautifully. I played vanilla up until about 2014, and then finally tried out some of the NRaas mods when I had a lag/crash problem, and now everything is great and I can't imagine life without them! :D
    Hello @KhemKat19 thank you for your very kind words :) Most of the buildings are based on buildings I have seen or sourced on line. I cannot claim them as Boop originals :D

I have experimented with putting EA community lots in basements and got myself in a dreadful mess. The rugs seem the tidiest solution and like you say there are advantages to using mods. The problem isn't the mods themselves but where I currently save my files which is One Drive. My SSD is my C drive and is tiny so I want to use my D drive. This is all a little complicated for a technophobe like me :)

Sim enim est vita
  • tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    I love your bollard pics and am also a big fan of the base game bollards. Your world is looking awesome. :smiley:
    tammyjo329 wrote: »
    I love your bollard pics and am also a big fan of the base game bollards. Your world is looking awesome. :smiley:

Thank you for your kind comments :) I love the bollards from the base game but am not so keen on the street lights. I have used several from the EPs and store content instead.

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I like the addition of the metal bollards. Especially the way you use them on dead end streets.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 thank you :) I think Fenbury has more dead ends than the average British town so I will try to do better next time.

Sim enim est vita
    It is often the small things which complete something. This week has been rather boring because I have continued adding lighting to the streets of Fenbury. I have also carried on with the interior decorating. This week I have concentrated on Gable End Cottage. Obviously I have been checking the lights as they were added. The pics below show this and also the site of my very first traffic light :D:D

eSpZkQg.png

KU8DKiN.png

JxqGDpH.png

Wauj3rP.png

VCFpWHR.png

g6UAKgR.png

Sim enim est vita
    I thought I would share this now because RL looks like it might stop work on Fenbury again this week. I have moved the Fenbury Pitch and Putt to a new location further along the beach road. It now sits opposite the entrance to the harbour. For that reason I can no longer call it a Links course as there is no immediate danger of balls being lost in the sea water :D:D I laugh at this point because when hubby plays the local course he regularly loses balls in the sea. Anyway pitch and putt courses at the seaside are meant only for fun. They are generally full of obstacles like plastic windmills. As I am trying not to use cc Fenbury will have to do without these delights.

NNcaj0Q.png

niNn7oC.png

tkbb2dw.png

wsYCqwW.png

Sim enim est vita
    I love your pitch and put lot. It looks just lovely. :smiley:
    It has been a funny week. I have allowed myself to be distracted into further building when I should have been concentrating on road signs, traffic lights and levelling the ground.

1kxCShu.png

j9SZlpW.png

Now if I had properly levelled the terrain first then the railing on the balcony would be level. I took this particular design of an Edwardian seaside home from the internet. I have placed it next to the Hotel Splendide on the beach road.

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Love it!
    5JZ57S6.png
    It is with sorrow I write this post. As you all know I am not IT literate but with some help this week I managed to move my game files away from OneDrive. At first it appeared everything was ok with CAW once I had redirected the tool as to where to find the world I was working on but when I tried to open TS3 proper there were no saves and all my settings had gone. This included the ones for my graphics. So progressing on to adding the rabbit hole rugs simply can't happen at the moment.

I have tried a number of things to cure the problem, including relocating One Drive and moving the games files back to it. Nothing has worked so far so I am forced to the conclusion that a reinstall is necessary. I am about half way through uninstalling at the moment. In some ways it is a good thing to happen. I have been using MOO, not very often but it can do strange things to your game. Obviously doing a disk install is no easy matter these days and I am going to allow myself a good week to take my time and get it right.

The good news is I will have a lovely clean game and CAW tool for when I start my next project. I am determined to finish Fenbury first though :D:D In the meantime the Fenbury files are safe as are the game files. Thank heavens for EHDs!

Sim enim est vita
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I discovered this thread last night and I've been right through. I love what you're doing with the world! I grew up in Lincolnshire (near Spalding) and I currently live in Cornwall. The landscape you've done is wonderful, it feels very English and has excellent elements of the farming land and the rugged coast.

I really like what you've done with the castle. I've been to Tintagel Castle several times and I do feel the similarities with your castle ruins. I love what you've done with them and I think the decision to use the store castle walls was a very good one - very effective.

Love your houses and the wide variety of styles you've used. They're fantastic. I admire the creativity with your lots, particularly the pitch and putt. I remember enjoying the adventure golf course in Skegness when I was a child. It was a lot of fun and I think it's great to try and bring an element of that into your town.

The use of the bollards looks great - a lot of the coastal towns use them (Mevagissey and Looe, both in Cornwall, spring to mind) and I don't think they look out of place at all, especially on the cul-de-sacs. Very nicely done!

I look forward to following the rest of this project. I'm building a coastal English town myself in CAW and it's been lovely to see someone doing much the same! Good luck with your reinstalls, I hope everything works well for you! <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
    Hello @MissyHissy thank you so much for your kind post, it has quite made my morning :) It is also lovely to meet a fellow poacher. I spent my early years in Alford and remember using the adventure golf course in Skeggy with my Dad when we were there on holiday. I am just up the road from you in Somerset. I loved Tintagel although climbing around it nearly killed me with my then 🐸🐸🐸🐸 ticker. I would say the castle set is a real challenge to use and I really sweated getting my ruins built.

I remember you saying about your plans for 2019. I do hope you will start your own thread and share your WIP with us when you are ready. Living in Cornwall you have so much inspiration right on your doorstep. I do hope you plan to include a pier. I tried making one but it was beyond me.

Thank you again. Now I must sort Sunday lunch before getting back to the reinstall.

Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    It's so lovely to see worlds being created where the inspiration comes from places you know, isn't it?

I loved Skeggy and Hunstanton when I was a child. I've always loved the coast so Cornwall has suited quite nicely the last several years, as far as the landscape goes. It's beautiful.

Yes, I will be including a pier. I'm aiming for a smaller scale Brighton pier, or something similar. Something loosely inspired by Brighton, Eastbourne and Hastings at any rate! The whole world is still very much a WIP but I've just set up a thread for it.

Good luck with the reinstall! :)
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

Hope your reinstall is going well @Bettyboop55 so you can get back to Fenbury as soon as possible.
    Would definitely love to see more screenshots to keep tabs on how your lovely world progresses. :)
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    It's so lovely to see worlds being created where the inspiration comes from places you know, isn't it?

I loved Skeggy and Hunstanton when I was a child. I've always loved the coast so Cornwall has suited quite nicely the last several years, as far as the landscape goes. It's beautiful.

Yes, I will be including a pier. I'm aiming for a smaller scale Brighton pier, or something similar. Something loosely inspired by Brighton, Eastbourne and Hastings at any rate! The whole world is still very much a WIP but I've just set up a thread for it.

Good luck with the reinstall! :)

I love being able to go down to the beach anytime, any season I want :) We are lucky enough to have a restored Victorian pier and in the summer it is fun to watch the paddle steamers docking there. I have tried to keep my buildings based on those I have seen locally. One or two like the manor house and the Edwardian house are based on internet pictures.

Have seen your new thread and love what you have done so far <3

Sim enim est vita
    Hidehi wrote: »

Hope your reinstall is going well @Bettyboop55 so you can get back to Fenbury as soon as possible.
    Would definitely love to see more screenshots to keep tabs on how your lovely world progresses. :)

The reinstall is slow going but it has given me a chance to tidy up and make sure I only load the store content I need for Fenbury.

I still have a couple more builds to do and then it will be into testing to make sure things like the rabbit hole rugs work properly.

Sim enim est vita
    Hope it all goes smoothly for you Betty, and you are up and running again with this world! :)
    tammyjo329 wrote: »
    Hope it all goes smoothly for you Betty, and you are up and running again with this world! :)

Getting there slowly because RL has got in the way today. I have been reviewing my list of things to do and there is still quite a bit. Meanwhile I keep going back to the idea for my next project.

Thanks.

Betty

Sim enim est vita