Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Strangerville = Waste of money.

Comments

• Captain_CCaptain_C Posts: 180 Member
    It was from those who did the old "Splash n' Dash" (sprint instead of adventure) gameplay. Legitimately or not, but I do agree Pegasys!
    Until next time!

Take care all!

- C

giphy.gif
  • ArchieAndVeronicaArchieAndVeronica Posts: 20 Member
    I love Strangerville! Having so much fun with it. I love the mystery of it. We're all different I guess but no. It's definitely worth the money.
  • ArchieAndVeronicaArchieAndVeronica Posts: 20 Member
    > @Pegasys said:
    > Okay. I bought the pack and finally finished the "story." Now back on the forums and don't have to worry about being "spoiled."
    >
    > What is this about "only 2 hours" to play the linear story line? It sure took me a lot longer than 2 hours, and I was only playing one small family (a childless couple) and was quite focused on playing the story. It took me several hours. I suppose if you cheat the needs of your sims and rush straight through it's possible, especially after the first time through when you know exactly what to do and where to go, but, heck, then that takes all the fun out of it.
    >
    > I loved it! I bust out laughing on more than one occasion. The wonderful atmosphere of the world, the unexpectedness, the sims and the new trait, and YES, the backdrops, the military career, the little dive bar where the military gang hang out, the gizmos and gadgets - All great fun and a lot of it can be used in a sandbox manner so I have no complaints.
    >
    > Yes it's fairly linear, but in my opinion the replayability is about on the level of the active careers in GTW, such as Doctor, Detective, etc. I can see myself playing it again down the road with a different household in a different home, etc.
    >
    > I still have more to explore with the military career, build/buy, and more. I think they did a great job -- kudos to the development team!

I agree with this completely. I have not completed Strangerville yet (I was sick when it came out so I only started this week at a couple hours a day) and I only just complete the first part of the aspiration. It's definitely not a two hour pack. And the world is awesome. As are the items you get with the pack. Much more to it than just the storyline.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    How soon the mystery can be solved depends on the player some may be able to solve it in whatever times it takes but for me the time does not matter as I complete the mystery the charm that it was is over and all I got was an overpriced neighborhood and an few things. There hardly any replayability as EA/Maxis are not pros to making this kind of pack. If the mystery can be presented in various ways I would think better of the pack as I am not totally against them doing it, it is just the execution on how they presented it. For sure I would be happy about an neighborhood being in the pack as it is provides more space at an price. I am guessing the free neighborhoods are a thing of the past as giving away free neighborhoods messes with the money train.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Captain_CCaptain_C Posts: 180 Member
    I would agree Goldmoldar. Though, having a company that gets income by making more content is how they get their money, and how we can get more content as a result. The troubling issue is: the time it would take to add more detail, without adding more bugs- if that makes sense? I really feel for those Indie game developers out there. There might be a mod out there for creating neighborhoods? But Maxis have their style about them, and what makes them unique from other simulated games.
    Until next time!

Take care all!

- C

giphy.gif
  • TiffM226TiffM226 Posts: 4 New Member
    I haven't played this pack as of yet, however, I don't find myself intrigued to test it out. I'm sure eventually I'll buy it and start playing it. But I agree that EA should start giving players more of what they are asking for. I personally would love to have cars, or the university expansion pack. I also would like an option for sims in other households to have kids on their own. Something that could be turned on or off like the aging option.
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member

Problem with the Sims community is as soon as someone gives a negative feedback to a content, people like YOU will always think it's not constructive. lol. Maybe you should try to put yourself in their shoes. Then maybe this game will get better.

Ok, but the problem is there is constructive feedback and not constructive feedback.

I myself have said multiple times the world size in Del Sol is ridiculous for an EP, am now providing feedback and criticism/questioning of a feature I just discovered regarding transferred world states for Strangerville between new games on another forum, and on different settings like tumblr and Twitter, have gone into detail being critical about issues with things like My First Stuff Pack or the lack of weirdness/supernatural in the sims 4.

Also requesting a more natural liveable world (aka a blank world without houses or modern set dressing for us to play with).

Strangely enough... I have not had people jumping on me for those opinions, and have fostered some amazing discussions.

Almost any opinion can be voiced in a way to be constructive instead of destructive. Like, for example, you lol-ing and going YOU and saying people saying what they like about the game or disagreeing are ‘the problem’ is a comment meant to kill any good discussion dead and does nothing to foster constructive feedback.
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    edited March 2019
    Ok, but the problem is there is constructive feedback and not constructive feedback.

And you are the one who decides what's constructive or not? :/
    I have not had people jumping on me for those opinions, and have fostered some amazing discussions.

So you're saying that it's only constructive feedback if people react well to it? Gotcha.
    Almost any opinion can be voiced in a way to be constructive instead of destructive

Again, who's to decide what's the tone or language for constructive vs destructive feedback. YOU?! Anything you disagree with it's not constructive and you'll use the way it was phrased as an excuse to dismiss it, right?
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Okay. I bought the pack and finally finished the "story." Now back on the forums and don't have to worry about being "spoiled."

What is this about "only 2 hours" to play the linear story line? It sure took me a lot longer than 2 hours, and I was only playing one small family (a childless couple) and was quite focused on playing the story. It took me several hours. I suppose if you cheat the needs of your sims and rush straight through it's possible, especially after the first time through when you know exactly what to do and where to go, but, heck, then that takes all the fun out of it.

I loved it! I bust out laughing on more than one occasion. The wonderful atmosphere of the world, the unexpectedness, the sims and the new trait, and YES, the backdrops, the military career, the little dive bar where the military gang hang out, the gizmos and gadgets - All great fun and a lot of it can be used in a sandbox manner so I have no complaints.

Yes it's fairly linear, but in my opinion the replayability is about on the level of the active careers in GTW, such as Doctor, Detective, etc. I can see myself playing it again down the road with a different household in a different home, etc.

I still have more to explore with the military career, build/buy, and more. I think they did a great job -- kudos to the development team!

I completely agree. I felt playing the story took me more than just 2 hours. But then again my Sim had a job and friends to make.

And comparing it to the activ careers makes sense. They are good enough to play through more than once. The tasks can get repetitive but the story I build up around it and sims background stories can make a difference. Although it would have been nice if we had two or three different endings each with a unique reward trait.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    While I agree that I’m not a big fan of mission-based stuff in this game, I also have to agree that everyone has their own preferences. Not everyone is going to like the game, not everyone is going to dislike it.

I knew what the pack was going to be all about before I bought it. If it hadn’t been for my girlfriend wanting it, I probably wouldn’t have added it to my game until it went on sale. Otherwise, I do enjoy the new content that came along with it. CAS, Build/Buy, the new career, and the new world; I use all of it, but I avoid the storyline. Easy enough.

A lot of different people ask for a lot of different things. We just have to be patient and wait for our time to come. I haven’t liked many of the packs, but those are just my opinions, and I can easily wait for the next one to come around.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited March 2019
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    How soon the mystery can be solved depends on the player some may be able to solve it in whatever times it takes but for me the time does not matter as I complete the mystery the charm that it was is over and all I got was an overpriced neighborhood and an few things. There hardly any replayability as EA/Maxis are not pros to making this kind of pack. If the mystery can be presented in various ways I would think better of the pack as I am not totally against them doing it, it is just the execution on how they presented it. For sure I would be happy about an neighborhood being in the pack as it is provides more space at an price. I am guessing the free neighborhoods are a thing of the past as giving away free neighborhoods messes with the money train.
    So how exactly is this an overpriced neighborhood? I’m sorry you feel like the story isn’t replayable but others are finding it repayable. I am not saying you completely love the pack because my turn off of the pack is the story. But I bought the pack for the items hair clothes and neighborhood so I feel like I got my money’s worth in the game.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    So how exactly is this an overpriced neighborhood? I’m sorry you feel like the story isn’t replayable but others are finding it repayable. I am not saying you completely love the pack because my turn off of the pack is the story. But I bought the pack for the items hair clothes and neighborhood so I feel like I got my money’s worth in the game.

Someone can spend 400e to buy a new pair of shoes and think it was the best thing she ever had bought even tho someone could never pay more than 20e for those since they didn't fit to her style or what ever reason and another would say that the shirt for 15e at h&m was not worth of her moneys even tho some one would be willing to pay more just to get that shirt

11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • g1raff3sg1raff3s Posts: 38 Member
    It seems like this discussion keeps revolving around money and the truth is, that’s what the gaming industry is after from its customers. Not saying this in only a negative connotation! Game developers are looking to create content that people are willing to purchase, play and most importantly - enjoy. While EA is a large corportation and I’m sure are making a pretty penny with little to no consequences from fluctuating sales, they’re still a business. Indie developers are booming at the moment: innovative designs and artwork are very on trend it seems. EA and The Sims team decided to branch out of their comfort zone and curate a new type of gameplay for their players. This isn’t to say that this is their future path for upcoming games in the numbered series (1, 2, 3, 4..) but something new for them to test out. Although you’ve purchased the game pack, it seems Origin has a pretty good return policy on their games and you can request a refund for the content. You’d receive your money back (not your time, sorry!) and they’d get data regarding your refund - letting them see you were unhappy with your purchase and their newest release for so and so reasons. Businesses may seem money grubbing to some of you, based on posts regarding the high cost of the content for little to no value of you, but you are in charge of your purchases and where your money goes. If you are at the point where you feel like you wasted your money and the game pack serves no purpose to you, please request a refund for your own sake.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    Strangerville reminds me a lot of the original neighborhoods from Sims 2, where when you started a new neighborhood there was already a story going on behind them that you could interact with if you wanted to. I never did in the Sims 2, and I like that you don't have to in this version either, you just know you're in a super weird town but it's pretty easy to ignore otherwise.

Please, StrangerVille is nothing like TS2. The Sims 2 had BACKGROUND stories for premade character, as well as an initial popup and one or two scripted events. That was it. The rest was 100% up to you. Do you want to try to get Cassandra married to Don or break up immediately? Do you want to to call a maid to clean Don's house or do you prefer to do it yourself? Popups were suggestions, NOT objectives.

In contrast StrangerVille is a STEP BY STEP linear story. Talk to the locals, go to to the lab, do this, do that, collect 15 of this, 15 of that, buy X device, use X device, etc. It couldn't be more linear if it tried. Comparing StrangerVille to The Sims 2 background stories is like comparing apples to cars. They're nothing alike.

If you ignore StrangerVille's story, you aren't playing the StrangerVilloe Game Pack, you're playing regular Sims 4 IN StrangerVille (which is more or less a reskinned version of Oasis Springs).

@Naus I never said they were the same, I said that it reminded me of them. I know there are differences, but it reminds me a lot more of the Sims 2 neighborhoods than the sims stories. And you really only have the checklist if you have the aspiration - if you don't, and you play through without it, you have to figure it all out yourself if you want to.

And clearly I'm playing the Strangerville Game Pack because I'm using the world and I'm using the new career and objects. That's like saying if you buy Cats and Dogs and don't buy pets, you're not actually playing TS4 Cats and Dogs, you're just playing the Sims 4 in Brindleton Bay.

And hey, at least this adds gameplay. I prefer this way more than a pack like Laundry Day which adds no new game play whatsoever and which I have refused to buy.

Agreed, if you don't like the checklist don't play the aspiration. You wont have any idea wgat to do and you will start to explore things on your own. You will have more freedom in doing so. Playing it that wat is something I an in love doing.

I think I am entitled to my opinion as you are entitled to yours if I feel the neighborhood is an overpriced element of the pack than it is. Why get yourself up in the air when someone say something that rubs you the wrong way. When it comes to me and me spanding my money I care about me as I am the one who is spending the money and you are not spending it for me. If you feel like you got your money worth that is you and not me for you can only do you. You see I did get my money's worth of this pack as I paid what I felt it should be to me $4.99. I do not care how others may find it replayable as it is all about what i want.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen

Someone can spend 400e to buy a new pair of shoes and think it was the best thing she ever had bought even tho someone could never pay more than 20e for those since they didn't fit to her style or what ever reason and another would say that the shirt for 15e at h&m was not worth of her moneys even tho some one would be willing to pay more just to get that shirt

Exactly :)

I think I am entitled to my opinion as you are entitled to yours if I feel the neighborhood is an overpriced element of the pack than it is. Why get yourself up in the air when someone say something that rubs you the wrong way. When it comes to me and me spanding my money I care about me as I am the one who is spending the money and you are not spending it for me. If you feel like you got your money worth that is you and not me for you can only do you. You see I did get my money's worth of this pack as I paid what I felt it should be to me $4.99. I do not care how others may find it replayable as it is all about what i want.
    I never said you had to like the pack I was just curious why you thought the neighborhood was overpriced is all. I didn't say you couldn't have your own opinion.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641

I never said you had to like the pack I was just curious why you thought the neighborhood was overpriced is all. I didn't say you couldn't have your own opinion.

I reread your post and I apologize as I took it out of context but the reason for me saying the neighborhood is over priced even if some think there may some kind of replayability with other sims the outcome may be the same result. now on the basis of the mystery being solved all you have left is the neighborhood and a career and for me the price of $19.99 is expensive and not that I can't afford to pay it, I am more into saving money and paying less works very well for me. I do like the concept of the pack but for me if it had high replayabilty and more robust features I would be okay with the price. I did get my copy at $4.99 and that is what it is worth to me. Most people have different price points they rather pay for an product. Sims 4 is what it is. It is all about price and what I am willing to pay as an customer.
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I really don't know what your point is @Naus You spend most of your day on a subforum for a game you don't like and spend your time telling people that they are just plain wrong to be having fun with it!

Why aren't you off playing the game YOU love instead?

THIS. Thank god there's an ignore button.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • amberlunezamberlunez Posts: 52 Member
    I have countless issues with TS4 but what I don't understand is why so many people who play sims seem to think that the creators of the game should be living in their basement considering only THEIR demands. If an expansion or game pack or stuff pack comes out that ISN'T your style of play, DON'T buy it! It's really not difficult. I was furious that 'laundry day' won out over - uh, basically anything that isn't mundane and a waste of time - so I don't think there's a problem with people complaining that it isn't what they were hoping for, but there's a problem when you're delusional and think NO ONE wanted it just because YOU don't. I wanted it! Hi. Hello! I don't need cars. I don't even need university. What I need is more plants trying to control my sims' minds. The creators are making games for people. They are not always going to cater to every whim of every fan typing away on their computers, otherwise they would ask you personally for assistance. Now please get yourself up off the floor out of tantrum mode and humble yourself and let people enjoy things.

I reread your post and I apologize as I took it out of context but the reason for me saying the neighborhood is over priced even if some think there may some kind of replayability with other sims the outcome may be the same result. now on the basis of the mystery being solved all you have left is the neighborhood and a career and for me the price of $19.99 is expensive and not that I can't afford to pay it, I am more into saving money and paying less works very well for me. I do like the concept of the pack but for me if it had high replayabilty and more robust features I would be okay with the price. I did get my copy at $4.99 and that is what it is worth to me. Most people have different price points they rather pay for an product. Sims 4 is what it is. It is all about price and what I am willing to pay as an customer.
    I understand and since I have had money in my EA Wallet this entire time I think I’m more willing to just use the money for a pack I may not use that much. But I already have several that I’m not fond of and if Strangerville was a different pack without the story I would probably feel differently but the story is the turn off of the pack to me. I haven’t completed the story yet in any game save I have but I feel like once the story is done what is the point of the pack after that.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    For me, it is far, far, far from a waste of money as it can be.

Not only am I having a blast taking my sweet time through the mystery with my sims, it is also giving me so many more ideas of how to use the content in my sandbox sims game.

It has added a plethora of tools to use.

Sure, it didn't "free the babies", and doesn't have a stroller. :D But for the way I play? It's freaking GOLD!
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    edited March 2019

giphy.gif

Plethora
    noun. a large or excessive amount of something.

What exactly did it add? An 11-lot world, a 2 hour linear task-heavy story, a WFH career with 5 new interactions and 3 new gameplay objects???? Oh yeah, don't forget those hideous clothes and 30 deco-only objects... :D:D:D:D
    edited March 2019
    Naus wrote: »

giphy.gif

Plethora
    noun. a large or excessive amount of something.

What exactly did it add? An 11-lot world, a 2 hour linear task-heavy story, a WFH career with 5 new interactions and 3 new gameplay objects???? Oh yeah, don't forget those hideous clothes and 30 deco-only objects... :D:D:D:D
    Can you quit it with hassling people who are enjoying the game? You might have not liked it but that doesn’t mean others didn’t enjoy it. If they are finally able to play with something they enjoy who are you to sit and judge them why they like it? It would be like them asking why you didn’t like it. So just stop hassling and bringing the people that like it down. Furthermore @fullspiral should not have to sit there and tell you why they like the game if you own you know what it’s like.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top