Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    @LaneBoy1995 Exactly how I feel! It's all about quality for me. A lot of fluff, window dressing, or faulty/incomplete content just doesn't matter to me if it's done poorly.

Yeah - but under Rod Humble? I worry about that judging by what he did for Sims 2 by being one of the people behind Securom 7, changing the game from CDs to dvds without giving simmers a heads up they were doing so as many of us did not own dvd players then and they were expensive at that time - never mind his obsession on books and constant skilling for our Sims. We had him to thank for all that. The only good thing he did was give every household in the game a new desktop computer for free. He made his simself for our game to go around delivering free computers to the Sims.

He is a person who preferred sim obsessively conversating with everyone all the time. More standing around talking and less items for our sims to use. He was into intellectual characters than action oriented sims and he despised supernaturals. He made no secret of that.

Hopefully his time at Second Life was eye opening - but I can see him loving the chat features as he favored on line play by a long shot. He came with JR - our former CEO who turned Sims City into an online game and basically ended that part of the Sims Franchise. He and JR started with the release of Bon Voyage - which came out on DVD with Securom 7. I pretty much suspect the Sims like game he would make would indeed be online and a chatfest.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    @LaneBoy1995 Exactly how I feel! It's all about quality for me. A lot of fluff, window dressing, or faulty/incomplete content just doesn't matter to me if it's done poorly.

Yeah - but under Rod Humble? I worry about that judging by what he did for Sims 2 by being one of the people behind Securom 7, changing the game from CDs to dvds without giving simmers a heads up they were doing so as many of us did not own dvd players then and they were expensive at that time - never mind his obsession on books and constant skilling for our Sims. We had him to thank for all that. The only good thing he did was give every household in the game a new desktop computer for free. He made his simself for our game to go around delivering free computers to the Sims.

He is a person who preferred sim obsessively conversating with everyone all the time. More standing around talking and less items for our sims to use. He was into intellectual characters than action oriented sims and he despised supernaturals. He made no secret of that.

Hopefully his time at Second Life was eye opening - but I can see him loving the chat features as he favored on line play by a long shot. He came with JR - our former CEO who turned Sims City into an online game and basically ended that part of the Sims Franchise. He and JR started with the release of Bon Voyage - which came out on DVD with Securom 7. I pretty much suspect the Sims like game he would make would indeed be online and a chatfest.

I don't think that's a bad thing? Plus TS2 is a great game. We'll see.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member
    Oh if only Will Wright had never left back in TS2 days. Who knows how the franchise would be nowadays (in both good and bad ways lol). He was my childhood hero, I would like to think he'd have continued his legacy well, but in reality we'll never know.
    The world is quiet here
  • LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    SeloBee wrote: »
    Oh if only Will Wright had never left back in TS2 days. Who knows how the franchise would be nowadays (in both good and bad ways lol). He was my childhood hero, I would like to think he'd have continued his legacy well, but in reality we'll never know.

I would pay the double price of The Sims 4 base game Deluxe Edition just to know his opinion on the franchise nowadays
    edited March 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

It was great - the base and first 6 eps had never been better - as i said he started after Bon Voyage ep and H&M stuff pack was made - all he did to those two is change the discs to DVDs with Securom 7 added to it. He added in game ads too to the next packs which he had some say in.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2019

It was great - the base and first 6 eps had never been better - as i said he started after Bon Voyage ep and H&M stuff pack was made - all he did to those two is change the discs to DVDs with Securom 7 added to it. He added in game ads too to the next packs which he had some say in.

Did not know about that. I don't remember that now that it's been so much time.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited March 2019

Actually Will Wright was still there - he just turned the Sims and Maxis over to EA - but he was there working on Sims Online and starting on Spore. When I tested Sims online for Will Wright he had stopped working on Sims 2 after Uni was in production - but he was there (in the building) as a sounding board on the game if the devs wanted his ideas on something. But all his time was wrapped in reworking Sims online and designing Spore at the time.

Sims online was the only Sims game I signed up to test and could not stand it - I quit the testing of that the first day after 6 hours of forcing myself to play it. I really hate online games and Sims online brought bored to tears to a new level of hate.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited March 2019

Oh it caused some outcry from Sims fans on the Sims forum as well as at the ME studio forum between Securom 7 and the ads in game. Honestly I was not much bothered by the ads, but the Securom - well that's another story altogether I don't care to revisit. Just glad it's gone now.

Sims 3 also had lots of ads from that BUT we got free cars and more for our sims and other stuff in the Sims 3 game. Simmers also got to earn free simpoints from them as well, eventually, which I shamefully saw as a good thing - I probably shouldn't have but it was free stuff in my view. It was big dollar earnings though for EA. Sims 2 at most saw little of it as far as ingame ads went in my view - but saw a lot in Sims 3.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

Oh it caused a big outcry from many Sims fans. There were protests galore here at the Sims studio as well as at the ME studio between Securom 7 and the ads in game. I was not much bothered by the ads, but the Securom - well that's another story altogether I don't care to revisit. Just glad it's gone now. Sims 3 also had lots of ads from that and why we got free cars, furniture, clothes and more for our sims and other stuff in the game. Simmers also got to earn free simpoints from them as well eventually which I shamefully saw as a good thing - I probably shouldn't have but it was free stuff in my view. It was big dollar earnings though for EA.

I've had my own share of troubles with that Securom stuff. I didn't even know it existed until I repurchased all the TS2 discs to play and ran into an incident where I had to uninstall and reinstall everything (those Big Fiery Explosions Seen From Space :# ). When trying to reinstall, it wouldn't work for anything, and I eventually looked a solution up on Google which mentioned having to delete the Securom hiding in the registry key...not cool at all. I'm curious about the ads though since I play TS2 from discs all the time, I feel like I've just completely missed them lol unless you just mean like the H&M pack and that kinda thing? I guess they can't be too bad if I've not noticed them...or maybe I'm just blind? :D
    The world is quiet here
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    GemSixx wrote: »
    Also for me sims 4 load faster loading screen than vs how long it took in sims 3 to walk there.

Who walks when they have bicycles, scooters, motorcycles, and cars? Not to mention a teleport pad?

Some places in sims 3 u could not get whit a car. Only just by walking or whit bicycle. Even whit cars my sims in sims 4 move faster on diffrent places and different worlds
    You can teleport in an open world if you’re that much in a hurry. To every single spot you want to. Apart from the fact that you were generalizing there (“Sims 4 loads faster than how long it took in Sims 3 to walk there”). Like when you cross the street to visit your sim’s neighbour? It’s not true by the way travelling (loading screens) takes less time in Sims 4. Not that it matters to me, travelling is part of the life simulation for me.
    Sims 3

Slowest car (3): 35 seconds real time (speed 3)
    Sim time: 11:07 – 12:12 (= 65 minutes)
    Fastest car (10): 21 seconds real time (speed 3)
    Sim time: 17:23-17:55 (= 32 minutes)
    Teleporting (cheat): 15 seconds real time (all-in, finding the spot B on the map and give order to teleport); sim time: 18:13-18:14 (= 1 minute to the very spot you want your sim to be)

Sims 4

From hallway to the café in Windenburg: 30 seconds real time
    Back home: 35 seconds real time (due to walking time till loading screen, I used speed 3 of course)
    Sim time going: 12:14-12:16 (=2 seconds); returning home: 2:32-2:42 (=10 minutes)

This on the same computer, obviously

It's not faster if i go just to agross the street or house next door. I use my sims phone to travel and it take u to map wiew straight. My sims in sims 3 going from his house to a down town takes like 10-15 sec and if i travel different world it takes longer. to travel there when i speed up and in sims 4 5-13 sec and it does not matter what world i choose from.
    Edit: i dont use that teleport tho, whit that it would be ofc faster. But if i have to choose that vs being able to use community lots the way they work in sims 4 it would be the lots. Since it still don't save that much time for me to be worth imo. Sims 4 loads fast and olso easy to move different worlds whit out losing relationships and mutch faster loading screens in that
    I fully appreciate people preferring loading screens over travelling in an open world, but you are presenting it as an argument as if it’s objective. And it’s just not. I clocked it all in my test, both games on the same computer. Not ‘takes like’, this is what I literally clocked. And you may not want to teleport, you can. In many cases it’s faster even than in TS4 because you can pick the exact spot where you want your sim to land. On the top of a mountain if you want to. In Sims 4 the game decides where you land and often there’s quite some walking involved after you arrived. Walking, because there are no vehicles.

On a more subjective note: for me it’s a huge downside it does not matter what world you choose from, I hate it when my sim leaves Windenburg and arrives in the Oasis Springs desert two sim minutes later. I prefer it, when my sim leaves his house at 2pm, it takes him an hour to arrive downtown. Because when I leave my house it will also take me an hour to reach downtown. For me that’s just really important. And another thing: I don’t even have to wait when travelling in Sims 3, because most of the time I play multiple sims. So unless I decide to travel with them (love doing that), I just focus on another sim in the household till they have arrived. With Sims 4’s loading screens system there’s no way around it. Regardless how many sims you play, you’ll have to sit through the loading screen and wait.

(nor sure why this became the subject by the way, back on topic?)

U take this up so i anwser this first then we can go back to the topic.
    I talk about real time, not as sim time.
    If i travel in sims 3 from home to at another world. I have to wait him to go otherside of the map, that world loading screen and them him to drive to that location. And in sims 3 my sims from home to first walk and then going to his gar and then running again to the location i choosed. That takes a lot longer than 5-13 sec loading screens and it does not matter what world i would pick. So yes it's faster for me

@JoAnne65 I just wanted to clear things out since i'm not sure that did we just misunderstand each others and i also would like to know anwser to this since you said that what i was saying is it not true and i would like to hear why is it not? because it is literally less for me as i explained it above ^^. And what time you clocked? you said:' Not ‘takes like’, this is what I literally clocked ' But when i said it takes 5-13 sec to go somewhere it's about that range, i could say specific times but it also depends on what lot i pick, if i pick smaller home lot or big shopping mall lot. Like in sims 3 it depends on where i go. Keep in mind that i still talk about real time and only about real time, not sims time.
    Not sure what u mean about everything else u said since i wasn't talking about that and you could have also read/ understand my text wrong or i could just said my point unclearly?
    And why this was topic? Not sure have u read all discussions here but this was one of the topics since there was discussion about sims 4 giving us less and do we need that to continue. I was pointing out that even tho we get something less we get something as a return and how features in sims 4 give more joy and more game play and for some sims 3 give more. One of the points was open world - some may more closed world because that won't take that much time for them and that also mean that they can run their own business and go to the different lot's like vet, restaurant, spas etc. Not that it was out of topic, it started to get out of topic when we started to discussion about it more tho.
    This is also all about personal preference! :)
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png

Oh it caused a big outcry from many Sims fans. There were protests galore here at the Sims studio as well as at the ME studio between Securom 7 and the ads in game. I was not much bothered by the ads, but the Securom - well that's another story altogether I don't care to revisit. Just glad it's gone now. Sims 3 also had lots of ads from that and why we got free cars, furniture, clothes and more for our sims and other stuff in the game. Simmers also got to earn free simpoints from them as well eventually which I shamefully saw as a good thing - I probably shouldn't have but it was free stuff in my view. It was big dollar earnings though for EA.

I've had my own share of troubles with that Securom stuff. I didn't even know it existed until I repurchased all the TS2 discs to play and ran into an incident where I had to uninstall and reinstall everything (those Big Fiery Explosions Seen From Space :# ). When trying to reinstall, it wouldn't work for anything, and I eventually looked a solution up on Google which mentioned having to delete the Securom hiding in the registry key...not cool at all. I'm curious about the ads though since I play TS2 from discs all the time, I feel like I've just completely missed them lol unless you just mean like the H&M pack and that kinda thing? I guess they can't be too bad if I've not noticed them...or maybe I'm just blind? :D

Yep - it was mainly items - either packs we'd buy that is legit, real world stuff or signs. I saw more in ME than I found in Sims 2. It would be a sign on a building or the like. Anything real world name like H & M, Akia, Ford, Prius, Toyota, etc. Many items and ads didn't get added to the game until Sims 3. Then there are the actual ads people watch to earn free Sims points in Sims 3.

Dr. Pepper and T-mobile gave free items to us following their campaigns.

I thought everything was cool and earned everything I could - but a lot of people did put up a fuss when they first heard of ads in our game. Unless it was like me - well I pictured in my head one thing but it ended up being nothing like I imagined - so I was not bothered by it. I do believe it was more that way for most also once we saw what they meant by ads. Still not everyone was on board - as they seemed to oppose EA earning money off our backs. I guess it depended on how you looked at it. I saw the free stuff and of course did not feel that way.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2019
    Also for me sims 4 load faster loading screen than vs how long it took in sims 3 to walk there.

Who walks when they have bicycles, scooters, motorcycles, and cars? Not to mention a teleport pad?

Some places in sims 3 u could not get whit a car. Only just by walking or whit bicycle. Even whit cars my sims in sims 4 move faster on diffrent places and different worlds
    You can teleport in an open world if you’re that much in a hurry. To every single spot you want to. Apart from the fact that you were generalizing there (“Sims 4 loads faster than how long it took in Sims 3 to walk there”). Like when you cross the street to visit your sim’s neighbour? It’s not true by the way travelling (loading screens) takes less time in Sims 4. Not that it matters to me, travelling is part of the life simulation for me.
    Sims 3

Teleporting (cheat): 15 seconds real time (all-in, finding the spot B on the map and give order to teleport); sim time: 18:13-18:14 (= 1 minute to the very spot you want your sim to be)

Sims 4

Back home: 35 seconds real time (due to walking time till loading screen, I used speed 3 of course)
    Sim time going: 12:14-12:16 (=2 seconds); returning home: 2:32-2:42 (=10 minutes)

It's not faster if i go just to agross the street or house next door. I use my sims phone to travel and it take u to map wiew straight. My sims in sims 3 going from his house to a down town takes like 10-15 sec and if i travel different world it takes longer. to travel there when i speed up and in sims 4 5-13 sec and it does not matter what world i choose from.
    Edit: i dont use that teleport tho, whit that it would be ofc faster. But if i have to choose that vs being able to use community lots the way they work in sims 4 it would be the lots. Since it still don't save that much time for me to be worth imo. Sims 4 loads fast and olso easy to move different worlds whit out losing relationships and mutch faster loading screens in that
    I fully appreciate people preferring loading screens over travelling in an open world, but you are presenting it as an argument as if it’s objective. And it’s just not. I clocked it all in my test, both games on the same computer. Not ‘takes like’, this is what I literally clocked. And you may not want to teleport, you can. In many cases it’s faster even than in TS4 because you can pick the exact spot where you want your sim to land. On the top of a mountain if you want to. In Sims 4 the game decides where you land and often there’s quite some walking involved after you arrived. Walking, because there are no vehicles.

On a more subjective note: for me it’s a huge downside it does not matter what world you choose from, I hate it when my sim leaves Windenburg and arrives in the Oasis Springs desert two sim minutes later. I prefer it, when my sim leaves his house at 2pm, it takes him an hour to arrive downtown. Because when I leave my house it will also take me an hour to reach downtown. For me that’s just really important. And another thing: I don’t even have to wait when travelling in Sims 3, because most of the time I play multiple sims. So unless I decide to travel with them (love doing that), I just focus on another sim in the household till they have arrived. With Sims 4’s loading screens system there’s no way around it. Regardless how many sims you play, you’ll have to sit through the loading screen and wait.

If i travel in sims 3 from home to at another world. I have to wait him to go otherside of the map, that world loading screen and them him to drive to that location. And in sims 3 my sims from home to first walk and then going to his gar and then running again to the location i choosed. That takes a lot longer than 5-13 sec loading screens and it does not matter what world i would pick. So yes it's faster for me
    I wasn’t talking about sims travelling to another world, I was referring to your comment ” Also for me sims 4 load faster loading screen than vs how long it took in sims 3 to walk there.” And after that ”Some places in sims 3 u could not get whit a car. Only just by walking or whit bicycle.” You were clearly talking about travelling within one world and so was I. And I clocked both Sims time ánd real time.

(I also find 5-13 seconds loading screens hard to believe but I’ll take your word for it)

P.s. Read the second reply after writing this one but I’d like to leave it at this. Travelling is not a problem for me, on the contrary, I love it in the game and deeply miss it in Sims 4. That part is opinion. All I wanted to say was that overall travelling in an open world doesn’t take more time than travelling in Sims 4. It’s just taking time in a different way. That’s not opinion, you can clock it. And either way I don’t even care, it’s not the waiting I mind where loading screens are concerned.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    sadly can not go back in time so you will need to learn to accep how the sims franchise is now
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2019
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Archieonic wrote: »
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    All I got was errors for all of those links. I googled the info though, and was able to find the quote referenced, where EA did in fact say Sims 4 crossed $1 billion. From a standpoint of them feeling whether it's worth continuing, it's looking good.
    If you are trying to compare to 1-3 though, it's actually not that straighforward.
    Sims 1&2 never had mobile and barely had online features. Sims 2 was the first to be offered via a downloader from their site. And not all EP's and SP's from Sims 2 were made available on Mac. Also, Sims 4 items sell at $10-$20 more on average more than previous additions did.
    If you removed anything that didn't exist with previous iterations, and adjusted for inflation, the numbers would mean more.

The thing is, from their perspective that means that it is worth continuing, which to me isn't a bad thing per se. What IMO is a bad thing per se is that because it has made so much revenue THIS way, it means they have the drive to keep going this specific way. They won't feel the urge to revamp personalities, or to add X or Y, or to polish and bug-fix as much, because the status quo right now sells. That to me is much more scary than whether they continue TS4 for another 2, 4 or 6 years.

Comparing while removing what did not exist in previous iterations wouldn't quite work out in my humble opinion. TS4 sells $10-$20 more on average compared to TS2 and TS1, yes. But what about TS3 store? That was littered with tons of objects and sets, even worlds, which are worth raw in total more than the entirety of TS4. Also, stuff packs were priced at $20 a piece in previous iterations. I think comparing them as a whole instead of as what each offered as far as types of DLCs is true to what the numbers should mean overall, but that's just me and I understand your aim.

Yes, it is very scary and if they continue to promote any version similar to how Sims 4 was developed, I do not see any need to continue to partake in this venture and will just enjoy the past versions and concentrate on other franchises that are worth supporting. EA/Maxis is catering to an overall new generation of gamers. But it it is true the comparison is not straightforward and for me the comparsion goes far beyond how much packs cost, I also compare features between 3 and 4 and Sims 4 Imo has nothing on Sims 3 and Sims 2 for that matter but again it is what the new generation wants, wish EA/Maxis luck on it's change of direction.

I add there one of my comments that i write about sims 4 being more expensive that other sims games. :

I don't think sims 4 is more expensive than other sims games- Here is why
    Sims 4 game packs in my country cost 20e Thats same amout of sims 3 stuff packs. But we can compare what the packs add (Keep in mind that this is just my comparison and the thing u like other packs and like are different and that i can't compare) Note!!: This is fast wroten and looked from Simsvip on how many items there were and some of them are not 100% accurate since i would need a lot of time to calculate all but this give some idea. U can look all that includes from some game sites and simsvip game guides to look more.
    I don't also really want sims3 vs sims4 but i have seeing quite few negative feed pack about game packs not being worth and some say we now get far less than we did in sims 3. In my opinions we did get more features in sims 3 expansions tho but we also get more items but i think it is more about opinions what u want on you're game, items, vet or horses etc
    ! also note that sims 4 is still ongoing serie and is a lot off sales too whit even same price tag then older games. And ofc that sims 2 and 3 were older games. About what gives u more is more about what u want from the game.

Sims 4 game packs, Both cost 20e and have being in my country at that price, i get that not everyone have the same currency and this might not be same for you so i only speak from myself:

Sims 4 Strangerville : 114 build and buy mode items, New world, story, aspirations, traits, 1 new harvestable, 1 new career, over 30 new Cas items + other
    VS
    Sims 3 diesel stuff: 14 build and buy items, 46 Cas items

Sims 4 jungle adventure: 179 build and buy mode items , about 50 Cas items, new destination world, new traits, aspiration, skills,food, drinks, harvestables, collections, + others
    VS
    Sims 3 Sims 3 outdoor living: 46 build and buy mode items, about 20 Cas items

Sims 4 Dine out: 143 build and buy mode items, tons of new foods and drinks, perks, can own restaurant or go eat in restaurant, about 35 Cas items + other stuffs
    VS
    sims Sims 3 high end loft stuff: 44 build and buy mode items, about 28 Cas items

Expansions:

Expansion packs, this is kinda hard to compere since it doesn't mean only items, it's a lot more like features etc so i really cant remember all about sims 4 and i believe i remember less about sims 3 but: (note that this is not include all features)

Sims 4 seasons: 182 build and buy mode items, hot/cold indoors, 183 Cas items, calender + other
    Vs
    Sims 3 seasons: 134 build and buy mode items, aliens, festivals, new world, about 180-217 Cas items + other features

Sims 4 Cats&dogs: 338 , about 100 Cas items, active vet career, vet for pets, dog agility, New world +other
    VS
    Sims 3 pets: about 220 build and buy mode items, about 100 Cas items , small pets, horses, horse aqility, unicorns, plastic surgery, new world + other

I really am not into what costs what, what I am interested in is features. There are few worthwhile features in Sims 4 and that is what I care about. Cost and how much items in each pack are no concern to me, where are the features that Sims 4 contain. If EA/Maxis can only bring items to the table than for me it is useless. Sims 3 had features that Imo puts Sims 4 on its head. Where is the neighborhood editor in Sims 4? Why is there only primary colors and no exotic colors? Why are lots static and cannot be edited? Why are the packs gimped? You see all that is important to me As I post if this is to be the future of future Sims games I am done with it if EA/Maxis can't bring it's A game and not it's B game.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    I think I mentioned this a lot of times but for me the problem is not quantity. Its not comparisons between numbers in TS4 vs TS3 or whatever... Its about quality! Did players realized that every aspect of The Sims 4 comes with 100 restrictions? I mean... Do you want Apartments? here they are but you can't build them and elevators are useless! Do you want laptops? here they are but without animations. No transports, just teleport... lame! It looks like they are thinking like "oh they want this, lets make this, but cut here and this don't need to much animation or just recycle that, give taht a different color and put some different description and thats it" LOL
    I have no doubt The Sims 4 is selling well but for a game with 4 years almost 5 and with 27 DLCs... PC and Console... Is really that good? They are making more money giving us less content! And by content I mean more depth, gameplay, things that actually make the sims good, not 300 "tables" and "t-shirts" like we already have. Performance seems always to be the excuse for that... EA just don't give Maxis the time and resources they need Its obvious! Maxis is a big money maker for EA and they don't care since The Sims is unique on the market. The community don't have any options. You play TS4 or you stay in the older versions. This is not like other Maxis games like SimCity. Theres a ton of options of city building games!

Thank you that is the point of it all, You can add an zillion items to the game but where are the features and what technology is Sims 4 taking advantage of? It is senseless to go out and buy an I7 9900k system just to play Sims 4 when one knows Sims 4 does not scale up or down to what is in the system. EA/Maxis has even admitted that they do not want to mess with the performance side as the reason I am getting gimped packs. Give features that I can put my hands on and let me rule how I want to rule. and also challenge everything and I can't challenge hardly anything in Sims 4.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    mirta000 wrote: »
    This maybe bit off-topic, but kind of important. Pssst:

Yes! I'm afraid to get my hopes up, but it would be totally awesome if they gave the sims franchise some competition with a high quality game!

You know what Paradox took EA/Maxis Sims City franchise and showed them how to do it the right way and I hope they would take up and Sims simsulation and do it right.
  • nude_spanude_spa Posts: 13 New Member
    > @LaneBoy1995 said:
    > here they are but without animations
    Many of the items trees, flowers, hair, couches in TS2 that have animations and seam like they're made of stone in TS4.
    Archieonic wrote: »
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    All I got was errors for all of those links. I googled the info though, and was able to find the quote referenced, where EA did in fact say Sims 4 crossed $1 billion. From a standpoint of them feeling whether it's worth continuing, it's looking good.
    If you are trying to compare to 1-3 though, it's actually not that straighforward.
    Sims 1&2 never had mobile and barely had online features. Sims 2 was the first to be offered via a downloader from their site. And not all EP's and SP's from Sims 2 were made available on Mac. Also, Sims 4 items sell at $10-$20 more on average more than previous additions did.
    If you removed anything that didn't exist with previous iterations, and adjusted for inflation, the numbers would mean more.

The thing is, from their perspective that means that it is worth continuing, which to me isn't a bad thing per se. What IMO is a bad thing per se is that because it has made so much revenue THIS way, it means they have the drive to keep going this specific way. They won't feel the urge to revamp personalities, or to add X or Y, or to polish and bug-fix as much, because the status quo right now sells. That to me is much more scary than whether they continue TS4 for another 2, 4 or 6 years.

Comparing while removing what did not exist in previous iterations wouldn't quite work out in my humble opinion. TS4 sells $10-$20 more on average compared to TS2 and TS1, yes. But what about TS3 store? That was littered with tons of objects and sets, even worlds, which are worth raw in total more than the entirety of TS4. Also, stuff packs were priced at $20 a piece in previous iterations. I think comparing them as a whole instead of as what each offered as far as types of DLCs is true to what the numbers should mean overall, but that's just me and I understand your aim.

Yes, it is very scary and if they continue to promote any version similar to how Sims 4 was developed, I do not see any need to continue to partake in this venture and will just enjoy the past versions and concentrate on other franchises that are worth supporting. EA/Maxis is catering to an overall new generation of gamers. But it it is true the comparison is not straightforward and for me the comparsion goes far beyond how much packs cost, I also compare features between 3 and 4 and Sims 4 Imo has nothing on Sims 3 and Sims 2 for that matter but again it is what the new generation wants, wish EA/Maxis luck on it's change of direction.

I add there one of my comments that i write about sims 4 being more expensive that other sims games. :

I don't think sims 4 is more expensive than other sims games- Here is why
    Sims 4 game packs in my country cost 20e Thats same amout of sims 3 stuff packs. But we can compare what the packs add (Keep in mind that this is just my comparison and the thing u like other packs and like are different and that i can't compare) Note!!: This is fast wroten and looked from Simsvip on how many items there were and some of them are not 100% accurate since i would need a lot of time to calculate all but this give some idea. U can look all that includes from some game sites and simsvip game guides to look more.
    I don't also really want sims3 vs sims4 but i have seeing quite few negative feed pack about game packs not being worth and some say we now get far less than we did in sims 3. In my opinions we did get more features in sims 3 expansions tho but we also get more items but i think it is more about opinions what u want on you're game, items, vet or horses etc
    ! also note that sims 4 is still ongoing serie and is a lot off sales too whit even same price tag then older games. And ofc that sims 2 and 3 were older games. About what gives u more is more about what u want from the game.

Sims 4 game packs, Both cost 20e and have being in my country at that price, i get that not everyone have the same currency and this might not be same for you so i only speak from myself:

Sims 4 Strangerville : 114 build and buy mode items, New world, story, aspirations, traits, 1 new harvestable, 1 new career, over 30 new Cas items + other
    VS
    Sims 3 diesel stuff: 14 build and buy items, 46 Cas items

Sims 4 jungle adventure: 179 build and buy mode items , about 50 Cas items, new destination world, new traits, aspiration, skills,food, drinks, harvestables, collections, + others
    VS
    Sims 3 Sims 3 outdoor living: 46 build and buy mode items, about 20 Cas items

Sims 4 Dine out: 143 build and buy mode items, tons of new foods and drinks, perks, can own restaurant or go eat in restaurant, about 35 Cas items + other stuffs
    VS
    sims Sims 3 high end loft stuff: 44 build and buy mode items, about 28 Cas items

Expansions:

Expansion packs, this is kinda hard to compere since it doesn't mean only items, it's a lot more like features etc so i really cant remember all about sims 4 and i believe i remember less about sims 3 but: (note that this is not include all features)

Sims 4 seasons: 182 build and buy mode items, hot/cold indoors, 183 Cas items, calender + other
    Vs
    Sims 3 seasons: 134 build and buy mode items, aliens, festivals, new world, about 180-217 Cas items + other features

Sims 4 Cats&dogs: 338 , about 100 Cas items, active vet career, vet for pets, dog agility, New world +other
    VS
    Sims 3 pets: about 220 build and buy mode items, about 100 Cas items , small pets, horses, horse aqility, unicorns, plastic surgery, new world + other

I really am not into what costs what what I am interested in is features. There are few worthwhile features in Sims 4 and that is what I care about. Cost and how much items in each pack are no concern to me, where are the features that Sims 4 contain. If EA/Maxis can only bring items to the table than for me it is useless. Sims 3 had features that Imo puts Sims 4 on its head. Where is the neighborhood editor in Sims 4? Why is there only primary colors and no exotic colors? Why are lots static and cannot be edited? Why are the packs gimped? You see all that is important to me As I post if this is to be the future of future Sims games I am done with it if EA/Maxis can't bring it's A game and not it's B game.

Yes this ^^ Like It's important to share opinions what you want but also understand that there are also a lot of people who want different things. I like how you pointed out very good examples, and i would also want those things really bad.
    But I don't like how some people just tell that sims 4 is the worst and how there a lot more in other sims games etc and when people talk about ' majority simmers opinions' or saying something is just a fact even tho it just personal preference. Like you know.. I would want that we could talk like mature way, point out things they would like and things that bothers them. That is what i'm trying to say.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png

Sims 3

Sims 4

I wasn’t talking about sims travelling to another world, I was referring to your comment ” Also for me sims 4 load faster loading screen than vs how long it took in sims 3 to walk there.” And after that ”Some places in sims 3 u could not get whit a car. Only just by walking or whit bicycle.” You were clearly talking about travelling within one world and so was I. And I clocked both Sims time ánd real time.

(I also find 5-13 seconds loading screens hard to believe but I’ll take your word for it)

P.s. Read the second reply after writing this one but I’d like to leave it at this. Travelling is not a problem for me, on the contrary, I love it in the game and deeply miss it in Sims 4. That part is opinion. All I wanted to say was that overall travelling in an open world doesn’t take more time than travelling in Sims 4. It’s just taking time in a different way. That’s not opinion, you can clock it. And either way I don’t even care, it’s not the waiting I mind where loading screens are concerned.

@JoAnne65
    It takes more time for me to travel in sims 3 when he drive or may need to walk again to get on that location. It's a fact for me, loading screens are more faster for me and take's just couple of sec and max that about 13 sec. It is not taking time different way? If my sims in sims 3 walk to the location i ask to slower than my pc load that loading screen how that is taking time ' differently' ??
    When talking about traveling to other world the time difference is a lot bigger. Honestly not sure why u first pointed this out and start argue whit me since i tell that to someone else and why I PERSONALLY don't mind about why there is not an open world. You're opinion can be different but that is not the thing i was arguing about.
    U can clocked time and have different result but we also have different pc and setups. U can say that this is not true because YOU'RE pc don't load as fast. How long loading screens take is not about the sims is just about the Pc u have.
    i was not talking to you're opinions, i was just talking only about that i think we get something less in sims 4 but also get something for return that does not exist on other versions. It's just about what u like and what u don't.
    and u got places in sims 3 , even base game that u can't just drive there since there have roads, and some places u have to keep walking to get there. U are now missing the point so i'm more than happy to stop this conversation
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    HannaZoja wrote: »
    Well, imho Sims 4 is MEANT to feel incomplete. If it felt complete you could not sell stuff. The concept of the game is that it feels incomplete, so we buy the next EP and GP and it gets a bit better, but of course, something else is not complete. And, of course, everything comes in packs, so you have to buy a complete pack just in order to get one feature of the pack. It is a cash cow. Yes, I am guilty of keeping that system running, Id I am buying all new EP and GP, but I am not happy. (OT, dear Maxis: I love Sims 3 so much that I last year I bought a high end Alienware Gaming PC so that I am now playing it without loading times. Users ARE willing to spend a lot of money on quality game play, especially users who liked building and world building.)

I kind of agree that it's meant to feel incomplete. And we've been so conditioned to expect it to come in pieces that when it comes in even more pieces some of us don't even bat an eye. By now, I feel like certain things should've been in the base game upon release but they know a lot of players are willing to pay separately for them and that's why they do it. I think laundry, seasons, and pets should be part of the base game with options to toggle off seasons and pets personally, and the base game should come with a city and a town from the start. I'd gladly wait for that game and pay extra if it's done right. And I really, really wish they'd realize that part in bold.
    The 3 more years are worth only if we get better personalities.

I agree. That was the problem I couldn't put my finger on when I first played The Sims 4. I don't even know if I mentioned that way back then because I didn't want to come across as someone hating just to be hating. Seeing my sims act in accordance to their personality traits was something I didn't experience with 4 and if in these next few years that doesn't change I don't see much of a point in the game carrying on for anyone hoping for a change in their sims' behavior. I think with personalities being the way they are, no matter what pack is released, unless it's something to improve their personalities it's always going to feel like same old, same old. Like running through the same scenarios with the same sim over and over but the only difference might be what their emotional state is.
    I love Sims 3, obviously in a subjective way. At the same time I’m fully aware also that game does some things quite mediocre or poorly even in relation to its predecessor (or sometimes not even in comparison, like the way they handled routing in the open world) Sims 4 objectively does some things right, but at the same time they’ve sacrificed aspects or made choices that has harmed its overall quality. And the fact a player (any player) will mind about one factor more than the other doesn’t mean that factor doesn’t matter in general. The fact that I don’t care about retail in my game doesn’t make retail in Sims 3 just fine. All it means is that it doesn’t affect me personally. There are plenty of examples where one can say: “Yes, this was just not very well done” (like you can also say “and this wás”). There’s personal preference but there’s also letting a company get away with decisions they really shouldn’t get away with. And I think the only reason they did/do get away with it, is the monopoly position of the franchise. It saddens me we’re at a stage now where fans are starting to blame each other and yes, that goes two ways.

I agree with this as well. I don't know of anyone who loves The Sims 3 who will seriously defend its shortcomings. If person A has never experienced a certain problem that's great and all but that still doesn't discount persons B, C, D, E, and F who don't play like person A and are experiencing that problem. The Sims 4 is the active one right now. It's not terrible but it's not all sunshine and roses either. There's clearly still time to get things fixed and improved but acting blind to repeated patterns, problems and concerns, demanding players who are unhappy shut up and be grateful for what is released in spite of whatever issue they may have, and players continuing to put up with it if they feel a certain way (those who admit they buy but aren't really happy, those who say they think if they don't buy TS4 there won't be a TS5) it helps nothing and it almost ensures The Sims 5 will suffer from the same or similar problems if not worse.

As a community we should be for holding EA and Maxis' feet to the fire to fix their product and no matter how we play, it could and in some cases has been our playstyles that were affected whether in this game or a previous one and simply moving onto the next game with no fix in instances where there should be one or one was literally created for free by another party shouldn't cut it anymore. But like you said they have the monopoly on this type of game and that's why they can get away with it. There's nothing else like it and therefore nowhere else to turn. Right now it's this game or nothing if you want a life simulator they're still creating content for.
    I think I mentioned this a lot of times but for me the problem is not quantity. Its not comparisons between numbers in TS4 vs TS3 or whatever... Its about quality! Did players realized that every aspect of The Sims 4 comes with 100 restrictions? I mean... Do you want Apartments? here they are but you can't build them and elevators are useless! Do you want laptops? here they are but without animations. No transports, just teleport... lame! It looks like they are thinking like "oh they want this, lets make this, but cut here and this don't need to much animation or just recycle that, give taht a different color and put some different description and thats it" LOL
    I have no doubt The Sims 4 is selling well but for a game with 4 years almost 5 and with 27 DLCs... PC and Console... Is really that good? They are making more money giving us less content! And by content I mean more depth, gameplay, things that actually make the sims good, not 300 "tables" and "t-shirts" like we already have. Performance seems always to be the excuse for that... EA just don't give Maxis the time and resources they need Its obvious! Maxis is a big money maker for EA and they don't care since The Sims is unique on the market. The community don't have any options. You play TS4 or you stay in the older versions. This is not like other Maxis games like SimCity. Theres a ton of options of city building games!

This was one of my biggest problems as well, I felt restricted. I was actually hoping for more creative control and freedom with greater improvements but instead it was like we got a few improvements at the cost of becoming more limited than even The Sims 2 at times.

I don't know if Rod Humble's plan is to create a life simulator or not but what he said is basically what I want and wish for in a Sims game.
    “Our aim with Paradox Tectonic is to create open, fun, beautiful games which respect the players' intelligence and enables their creativity, freedom, emotion, and sharing,” said Rod Humble

Basically, because I don't know what his intentions are or if the plan is to make a life simulator but I want a sandbox life simulator game that feels almost limitless with possibilities and the world(s) as open as possible. Preferably like The Sims 3 but with a better way to move and visit different towns and cities. I want it to simulate life as much as possible in that aspect but I'm pro options too so I also think there should be more control in the players' hands to control or alter as much of the world or setting as possible because we don't all want the same things. I definitely want it to be fun all around. I think there should be something for every kind of player to sink their teeth into whether a builder, a game player, sim creator or a world maker. That would add to the beauty of the game. Also, I think a balance between cartoon and realistic would be fine, even though my preference leans a little more towards realistic but more options as well to create the best sims for us because beauty isn't just looks it's personality as well as actions and reactions so depth matters. I definitely agree with the respecting the players' intelligence and with enabling players' creativity, freedom, and emotion. Sharing I don't too much care about depending on how it's meant but again, I'm fine with options.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    There is a lot to read here since I logged in last time. I will try to catch up. I think EA doesn't care they killed off Sim City or Emeryville, because they are doing really well with Sim City BuildIt (mobile game) maybe that was the plan all along. Maybe mobile had been the focus they were heading for anyway.
    nude_spa wrote: »
    > @LaneBoy1995 said:
    > here they are but without animations
    Many of the items trees, flowers, hair, couches in TS2 that have animations and seam like they're made of stone in TS4.

I have forever been waiting for movable hair to come back to the Sims franchise!! You would think if they could do it in 2004 they could do it 10x better in 2014 :neutral:
    The world is quiet here
  • GemSixxGemSixx Posts: 144 Member
    edited March 2019
    What we really don't need 3 more years of is people trying their best to silence the dissenters.

I don't go on forums for a game I have no vested interest in and complain about how bad it is. In fact, the Sims forums is the only games forum I read or post to. There are PLENTY of games that I don't like. The difference is that I could care less what direction those games go, nor do I care what direction the next iteration of those games will take or if those games will even have another iteration.

I DO care about the Sims. I wouldn't have spent as much money on them as I have if I didn't care. Origin says I've spent 3949 hours playing Sims 4 (although I suspect that at least half those hours the game was paused while I did something else). No one can tell me I haven't given it a chance. I'm all out of chances to give though. I'll continue to play 3 and hope either 5 is as awesome as 4 should have been or someone else will give them some competition.

What makes me upset is that no one can voice their dissent without people trying to silence them and make strawman arguments that have been shot down so many times. Everyone here should know by now that the surest way to get a thread closed is to make it 3 vs 4, because those never turn out well. It seems to me that it's always someone defending 4 that starts the 3 vs 4.

Completely done with EA

• DuendeDuende Posts: 175 Member
    . . . . Anyway y'all. It's 2019 and this game is scanty of so much content.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5083914
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    If
    mirta000 wrote: »
    This maybe bit off-topic, but kind of important. Pssst:

Yes! I'm afraid to get my hopes up, but it would be totally awesome if they gave the sims franchise some competition with a high quality game!

You know what Paradox took EA/Maxis Sims City franchise and showed them how to do it the right way and I hope they would take up and Sims simsulation and do it right.

They couldn't call them Sims but I think Paradox call them Cims? If he combined something like Sims2's ability to build our own SimCity4 type worlds combined with letting our Sims live their lives out in them I might try it but if he made it Online and for mature Simmers I think I'd pass.
    He would have to not infringe any EA Copyrights. Wouldn't that be difficult?

I'd rather he made a different game entirely. I don't much like Paradox's versions though I've bought several packs in hope that I might sometime. Maybe a mystical type world of dragons, wizards, witches in a medieval setting for their cims to live in perhaps? Not the Sims Medieval game setup or mobile type character though who just waddles about!

This is just a wishlist for what I would like in my game, whoever does it EA or Paradox. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top