Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do your sims make most of their money?

Just curious. I tend to go with what fits my sims personalities the best, but I find that most of them are self-employed or make money through hobbies. Often if a couple of my sims are self-employed I'll give one sim in the household a rabbit hole job just so someone has a steady income.
IHJCfa6.jpg

How do your sims make most of their money? 52 votes

Rabbit hole career (teaching, science, police, military, etc.)
19%
Emily4331dst193Archivistmilly001becks1112king_of_simcity7simtoriousPlumDiddySaintcsimms745 10 votes
Active career (stylist, ghost hunter, singer, magician, etc.)
3%
pisceschick75BerryCharming 2 votes
Self-employed/hobby (writer, painter, gardener, fisher, etc.)
17%
ParyMikezumiGabbyGirlJstarguruangeljess26Sigzy05takenbysheepSummerRoxypuzzlezaddict 9 votes
Scavenger (having your sim or pets look for gems and collectibles and selling them.)
3%
ZhakiraPKesminlix 2 votes
Playing in a band or busking.
0%
Buying up property or running a resort.
0%
Mooching from other sims.
0%
Black widow/widower (marrying/befriending rich sims and killing them off).
1%
cheesetruck 1 vote
Cheats! XD
7%
AthenaOnyxzagboorulesjillbgNikkei_Simmer 4 votes
A mix of the above? Something else?
46%
suzsesJessa_DakkarAbellaKellaherAmphoradreamerz13emorrillKaytayRoallcwaddellSimplyJenlisasc360duhboy2u260smusicluvrbekkasanSindocatGITTE2001TreyNutzZeeGeethuggishsplicerjordandtrethera 24 votes

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Self-employed/hobby (writer, painter, gardener, fisher, etc.)
    Because I like my sims to be home producing babies, they always work from home :D
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    I'm doing a mix in my current game. I have my SS as a self-employed painter and she is also a writer on the side while her bf is in the military career... :)
  • Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    Buying / collecting valuable ores / gems. Cutting / smelting those and then reselling them at the elixir consignment store. Once I make a good amount of change, I buy up properties.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Self-employed, usually farming a cash crop, nectar making, or writing. Once the money starts rolling in my sims usually end up buying property and running a resort or two. Occasionally collecting gems, rocks, and/or relics (through tomb exploring or excavating dig sites) contributes a substantial portion of the household wealth.
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    Huh. Now that I’ve thought about it I have every single option done in my save except for the black widow.

This brings forth new gameplay ideas now :p
    Although I have to admit my almost favorite is the fishy-themed horror novel writing Merman whose current masterpiece is the heavily anticipated Crabna Krakenina.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited March 2019
    Cheats! XD
    Dog%2526Catcheating.jpg
    So...does having two dogs and a cat (all three with hunting skills up to 10) count as cheating? >:)
    https://youtu.be/hfrWchX5rAU
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    The way my sims make money has always been either through Rabbithole careers, self-employment, or I cheat and give them tons of money. :p

It all depends on what kind of sim I'm playing and what kind of story I'm trying to tell with them. :)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

I almost always have my sims buy partnerships but this is usually in addition to another source of income - rabbit holes careers, self employed, applying for additional funds at university, treasure hunting while traveling, or sometimes I cheat to give them enough money for the house I want for a particular scenario.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited March 2019
    Often a mix of self-employment/hobbies, rabbitholes, and collecting.

In my main save the money has come from pretty much everywhere though active careers, rabbitholes, investing in property, tomb raiding, inheritance, hobbies... I think that's all. Oh and selling the ridiculous amount of celebrity gifts they get.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Cheats! XD
    Motherlode, kaching :joy:
    NymlADp.jpg
  • KaytayRoallKaytayRoall Posts: 923 Member
    Mostly if I have multiple adults, I go for a mix of rabbithole and active/self-employed jobs. I really enjoy the active careers, but get overwhelmed trying to play more than one at a time. It's easier if some household members are going to rabbitholes careers so I can focus. If there are going to be kids, I like to have a self-employed "stay-at-home" parent, mostly to make the toddler stage easier.

Probably my most successful sims have been the ones who breed and race horses, performers (Showtime careers) and a photographer. The equestrians are very self-sufficient, keeping a small garden for food, riding maxes out their fun, so they don't need other entertainment, and the horses keep them busy all the time so they really only need a simple home with the basics. A well-trained horse sells for $10k-15k and I usually manage about two per sim week. Plus a couple more grand per day from racing, so long as I time things right. They rake in the money and just end up not spending it. Performers are pretty self-explanatory, just have to make sure it's a world with the higher level venues. And I accidentally broke a 4x4 challenge once with a photographer who made ~$150k in her first trip to Egypt.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I tend to make my money in a variety of ways from collecting, to dumpster diving to career focus and painting. If its a thing that makes money, I've probably done it. I try to steer clear of motherloding my sims but its happened in the past a few times :)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    Cheats! XD
    When I start a hood I usually make 4 sets of 4 sibling pairs and put them in a communal house usually freerealestate. Usually Nraas SP pairs them off and moves them out for me. When I play a house usually one sim is employeed and the other makes stuff at home.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    The vast majority of the time my sims are self-employed but actually earn most of their income via real estate and their dog's hunting finds. I like to tie the real estate they own to their area of self-employment and their interests (gardeners would own the grocery store and/or community gardens, writers the bookstore, etc.).
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    Cheats! XD
    testingcheatsenabled on
    familyfunds (family name) §99999999.00 >:)

or

Gem and Metal Processing Machine from Mod the Sims.
    Gemstone>Tiberium (cut) adds about 500% onto the value of any stone that you cut. >:)

What do you mean, there's rules???
    https://youtu.be/elGPryn51mI - psychotic laughter
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    Scavenger (having your sim or pets look for gems and collectibles and selling them.)
    8.5 million from collecting and selling gems, metals and insects as a werewolf in about 14 sim weeks. If you ask me there is no better way to earn simoleons. Not from the start anyway.
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    It depends on the sim and the story. Some will have rabbit hole jobs, others self employed and some are independently wealthy (my vampire family) from being around for eons and smart about investing their money.....not to mention the cache of treasures in the underground vaults.

I do occasionally start a story where I do rags to riches and try really hard not to use MC household funds! Those usually scavenge and dumpster dive for a living to start off with.
  • hipotonixhipotonix Posts: 58 Member
    It just depends on the kind of playthrough i'm doing. On one of my playthroughs the main sim I play as is a stay-at-home mom (100 Baby Challenge) and earns her money through books and painting. On three other playthroughs I have different active careers (Doctor, Actress, and Detective), there's also a journalist, and some business owners (vet, restaurant).
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I generally start with at least one Sim in a rabbit-hole career, and usually one self-employed. As soon as I can, I become a business partner. As a household matures, most of its income is from investment properties and venues, with employment income more than covering bills. So it's a mix.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Rabbit hole career (teaching, science, police, military, etc.)
    Rabbit hole careers. Keeps them out of the way for a few hours! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • alexjoanrowwalexjoanroww Posts: 63 Member
    Mix of rabbit hole careers (I don't have any expansions that give you the active careers you mentioned) and self-employment
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member

I do the rabbit holes, active, and self-employment. Sometimes I use the collecting, like in my current challenge I can use tiberium and that got her a decent start.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2019
    My current sim is a self-employed travel writer who goes on trips to scuba dive in various tropical worlds, as well as the three world adventure worlds to complete adventure quests or excavate. So she gets her income from 1) book royalties, 2) completed adventure quests, 3) collected items from exploring the world or scuba diving which are processed (I have the gem cutter and glass blowing station, which smelts metals, so that I don't have to pay to have gems cut or metals made into bars) and then sent to the consignment or elixir consignment stores. I love this because she never stays in any one world for too long so the adventure always stays fresh, plus with a portable lap top, she can do her writing work anywhere!

Here are her traits:
    1. Adventurous - Visa level increases faster, shorter wait period between trips
    2. Bookworm - Read and write books faster, gains fun more from reading
    3. Born Saleswoman - Great for consigning items as you get paid more and sell more of your items
    4. Charismatic - Great for making friends quickly which you need when talking to people in World Adventure missions
    5. Perfectionist - Writing takes a little longer, but you churn out more best sellers than without it
    LTRs she has earned so far that affects income:
    1. Acclaimed Author - Boosts royalty checks!
    2. Collection Helper - Helps find any collectible in the world!
    3. Jetsetter - Reduces costs of travel!
    4. Learned Relic Hunter - Helps to find rarer and more valuable relics!
    5. Prepared Traveler - Adds 3 days to your current max days allowable per visa level!
    6. Suave Seller - Sell stuff at 25% more at the consignment store!

This her working in her beautiful "office" back at home in Barnacle Bay:
    Screenshot-22.jpg

And this is her working after scuba diving in Isla Paradiso:
    Screenshot-5.jpg