Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Top 10 Reasons Why StrangerVille is the Worst GP yet [SPOILERS]

NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
TOP 10 REASONS WHY STRANGERVILLE IS THE WORST GAME PACK YET

1- Story is very linear and can be finished in less than 2 hours. It has little replay value.

2- Predictable and cliched plot. It can be summed up in three well-known tropes: Abandoned Laboratory, Town with a Dark Secret and Zombie Apocalypse. Think of Resident Evil+Silent Hill (but without bringing anything new to the table).

3- Repetitive and grindy tasks. Scanning terrain and picking up spores over and over and over isn't fun. Half of the tasks require that your Sim talk to other Sims. You can find out everything you need to do by hovering your mouse over the aspiration goals.

4- The highest level of infection doesn't do much besides adding some graphical effects, vines from plumbing, spores in the air, more purple plants and possessed Sims. Where's the chaos, fire, dead Sims, sense of impending doom?
[Spoil. TS Castaway Stories] Comparatively, towards the end of The Sims Castaway Stories (a fairly linear story), it literally starts raining fire, there's a volcanic eruption and dead Sims (RIP Bart Pittman).

5- Poorly designed tasks. Loading screens break the action constantly. The way The Sims Stories and Urbz managed to minimize this issue was by having a lot of actions in the same area before moving to a different area.

6- Unlike The Sims Stories games, there isn't any final decision. The way to finish the story is to kill the Mother.
[Spoil. TS Life Stories] In contrast, in Vincent's story (TSLS) you have to decide whether to let the love of your life die or give up your wealth. Same with Castaway Stories.

7- Lazy animations: instead of vaccinating Sims, you throw a liquid at them.

8- Out of 71 buy mode objects, 40 are decorative. Most content in the pack is story related and found in buydebug. Only ONE chair.

9- Laptops are re-skinned desktop PCs, made live draggable. In contrast, The Sims 3's laptop was a base game object, which didn't require a surface to be used, could be used from the inventory directly and had unique animations (closing, carrying under the arm).

10- StrangerVille is a fairly small world (for TS4 standards), though it's bigger than other GP worlds (the bar was set really low). Walkable areas a fairly small too. Premade lots in StrangerVille are of a questionable quality. A Sims 4 base game was reused with minor modifications and the mansions in Shady Acres are barely furnished.

Comments

• Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited March 2019
    While I agree with some of these I wouldn’t say it’s The worse Game pack.

Pros

- We get a New world that’s beautiful and big for a gamepack.
    - The story and theme are different and are things we haven’t seen before.
    - We get laptops.
    - The build/buy victorian items are great
    - The militant career is back. You can be a soldier or a “Men in Black”.
    - We get a new trait “paranoid”.

Cons
    - Not everyone will like the story.
    - The only way to eat rid of the infection is to play the story.
    - The boss fight at the end isn’t something that feels like the sims.
    - Only one fishing location and no new fish. It would be nice to have access to the river.
    - The new plants are not in the build mode.
    - The laptops can’t close.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I agree with pretty much every point.

I prefer The Sims (main series) to remain as a sandbox life simulator with no linear story mode whatsoever. The only stories should be the backstories of premade Sims, which I can adjust and/or delete said Sims altogether. Single player RPGs, and even the spin-off Sims games handled story modes far better.

I'm not at all opposed to a scenarios/improved TS3 opportunities system, where there are quest-like elements, player control/interaction/input (the game not literally spoonfeeding me directions for one, singular route to take the story in), and meaningful rewards. But TS4: Strangerville is an entirely different genre from what The Sims has always been, and just not fun to me, as a long-time player of the series.

Right now, the game needs new systems that promote replayability. I want to have so many directions to take my Sim's life in that it would take dozens upon dozens of generations to do everything, and even still, no two Sim's lives would be entirely the same. That's the kind of feeling I got in The Sims 2 and especially The Sims 3, with so much content in that game (but too much unstability on my end to explore it all). A linear story that holds your hand, gives you no creativity or interaction, and has the lore and predictability of Mickey Mouse Club House is simply not it.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2019
    I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I think at this stage they should be adding into the game the immense list of things it still lacks, 4 years in.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    Though i don't got this game yet,But am agreeing with everyone else post this is a change for once. then my sims going back and forth do same thing all over again. But in this pack get to fight off _ahem_ and new career plus martial art bot plus to find hidden messages of the town. and also new stuff plus a new world new traits. Am not all for just play house with my sims. i want a challenge other from jungle adventure not have to leave world to do it. for what i saw people showing it from youtube looks to be fun.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @Dianesims
    We get a New world that’s beautiful and big for a gamepack.
    For a GP. Game Packs have set the bar so low that an 11-lot world is considered BIG. Beautiful is subjective, I personally don't find it beautiful at all, there's just too much set dressing and very small walkable areas. But like I said, it's completely subjective.
    The story and theme are different and are things we haven’t seen before.
    We've seen story-driven games before as spin-offs. Those game executed the story and gameplay much better than StrangerVille.
    We get laptops.
    We get live draggable reskinned PCs. There are CC computers with more interactions than the ones included in this pack.
    The build/buy victorian items are great
    I mostly agree. They're pretty cool, especially the doors and windows.
    The militant career is back. You can be a soldier or a “Men in Black”.
    Military career has always been a base game career, now you have to pay extra to have it. It doesn't add too many new interactions to justify paying extra for it. Sims 2 and Sims 3 have a "Salute" interaction. Sims 2 also has an obstacle course object with more unique animations that anything in this pack.
    We get a new trait “paranoid”.
    Like 98% of the traits in The Sims 4 doesn't do anything special. Compare it to the Neurotic trait in The Sims 3 that has dozens of interactions and attributes.
  • Options
    @RobinGreenthumb One thing I agree with you is that our play styles are polar opposites.

I don't want to be confrontational, but most of your post reads like a bunch of excuses for everything without actually providing valid counterpoints for most of my statements.

For example, tropes aren't inherently a bad thing but when they aren't handled correctly as a setup for an interesting plot, they become clichés. In the case of StrangerVille, the fact it uses well known tropes, without adding anything new, a plot twist, or even a more postmodernist take to its tropes is what makes it an example of poor storytelling.
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I agree with pretty much every point.

I prefer The Sims (main series) to remain as a sandbox life simulator with no linear story mode whatsoever. The only stories should be the backstories of premade Sims, which I can adjust and/or delete said Sims altogether. Single player RPGs, and even the spin-off Sims games handled story modes far better.

I'm not at all opposed to a scenarios/improved TS3 opportunities system, where there are quest-like elements, player control/interaction/input (the game not literally spoonfeeding me directions for one, singular route to take the story in), and meaningful rewards. But TS4: Strangerville is an entirely different genre from what The Sims has always been, and just not fun to me, as a long-time player of the series.

Right now, the game needs new systems that promote replayability. I want to have so many directions to take my Sim's life in that it would take dozens upon dozens of generations to do everything, and even still, no two Sim's lives would be entirely the same. That's the kind of feeling I got in The Sims 2 and especially The Sims 3, with so much content in that game (but too much unstability on my end to explore it all). A linear story that holds your hand, gives you no creativity or interaction, and has the lore and predictability of Mickey Mouse Club House is simply not it.

I agree The Sims (main games) should focus on the sandbox aspect and letting us tell our own stories. I don't mind background stories like in The Sims 2 or mysteries like TS3's Don's appearance in Riverview or who is Lolita Goth. But a step-a-step MMO-esque story mode doesn't belong in a main Sims game.

I think scenarios like in TS2 and opportunities in TS3 worked really well. I really opportunities because I can ignore them if I want. They are just icing on the sandbox cake, not the cake itself. StrangerVille is definitely a first for a main Sims game. My problem isn't necesarily the fact that it exist (though it worries me for the future of the series), but the fact that it was so lazily executed, both in terms of plot/narrative and gameplay.

TS2/3 were definitely the peak when it comes to complex sandbox systems, especially memories/aspirations in TS2 and story progression/traits in TS3. TS4 added emotions, which is VERY poorly designed system in my opinion. All Sims end up being happy 50% of the time, moodlets are pointless (might as well be colored squares), and traits don't do anything other than change default emotions and add bonuses to skill building. TS4 still lacks most complex systems previous games had.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Just wanted to point out that there's a reason why the vaccine is thrown rather than administered in a shot. The Sims team has already delivered an animation of a Sim giving a shot, so they could have done that here. If you only played 2 hours, you might not have discovered the reason why the vaccine is thrown.

Also, the story is as cliched as the player makes it.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    Just wanted to point out that there's a reason why the vaccine is thrown rather than administered in a shot. The Sims team has already delivered an animation of a Sim giving a shot, so they could have done that here. If you only played 2 hours, you might not have discovered the reason why the vaccine is thrown.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. First of all, as I explained in a separate thread it shouldn't be a vaccine. Vaccines don't work the way developers think they work. Second, there's almost no way to administer a vaccine through the dermis. You have to get to the subcutaneous tissue. The closest we've got to dermal vaccionation is through microneedles, but pores wouldn't be capable of absorbing a vaccine. To put it simply, throwing a glass of whatever at a person wouldn't do a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 thing (other than get them wet).

Whatever explanation you think they gave (I read every popup text and aspiration goals, I wasn't given any), it doesn't make sense from a scientific point of view. Unless you think science is a matter of opinion.

:D Most epic cop-out ever! Try harder next time. ;)
    Post edited by Naus on
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

I could understand one saying the game is as cliched as the player makes it, but this is one, singular story that remains exactly the same in every player’s game. I don’t think players can be blamed for a poorly written story by EA...
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Naus wrote: »

Excuses, excuses, excuses. First of all, as I explained in a separate thread it shouldn't be a vaccine. Vaccines don't work the way developers think they work. Second, there's almost no way to administer a vaccine through the dermis. You have to get to the subcutaneous tissue. The closest we've got to dermal vaccionation is through microneedles, but pores wouldn't be capable of absorbing a vaccine. To put it simply, throwing a glass of whatever at a person wouldn't do a plum thing (other than get them wet).

Whatever explanation you think they gave (I read every popup text and aspiration goals, I wasn't given any), it doesn't make sense from a scientific point of view. Unless you think science is a matter of opinion.

vet-clinic-head.jpg
    Hmm... For me this sounds so strange. Why would the sims medicine work the same way as it does for us, pets with glowing noses is a common occurrence at the vet for them? And why do you assume that developers do not understand how vaccines work in our world? This is a fictional game.

Personally I did wonder why it was thrown and not given by at shot but I do not tie that to understanding of real life medicine, just seems a bit odd to me.

@MVWdeZT I totally missed why it was thrown even when I was running round there for hours. If you feel like it I would love to know why :)
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Excuses, excuses, excuses. First of all, as I explained in a separate thread it shouldn't be a vaccine. Vaccines don't work the way developers think they work. Second, there's almost no way to administer a vaccine through the dermis. You have to get to the subcutaneous tissue. The closest we've got to dermal vaccionation is through microneedles, but pores wouldn't be capable of absorbing a vaccine. To put it simply, throwing a glass of whatever at a person wouldn't do a plum thing (other than get them wet).

vet-clinic-head.jpg
    Hmm... For me this sounds so strange. Why would the sims medicine work the same way as it does for us, pets with glowing noses is a common occurrence at the vet for them? And why do you assume that developers do not understand how vaccines work in our world? This is a fictional game.

Personally I did wonder why it was thrown and not given by at shot but I do not tie that to understanding of real life medicine, just seems a bit odd to me.

@MVWdeZT I totally missed why it was thrown even when I was running round there for hours. If you feel like it I would love to know why :)

You know The Sims is suppose to be a life simulation right? All things considered. In GTW sims already give a form of injected shots so why didn't they use a similar animation with the same object? It's not consistent at all and it's jarring to see a vaccine as throwing a drink to your face.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think a choice was made. You can't make something stop to be vaccinated that doesn't want to be and that happens later. I don't think syringes would help then so they just took this approach to prepare the player in a sense for something that happens later.
    Also about the splash thing.. it can be good for stories as you play .. if the possessed are more of a zombie like creature it give us more options to work with.. not less.
    Especially if you use it for more than just the aspiration story line which I do and plan to do.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

vet-clinic-head.jpg

You know The Sims is suppose to be a life simulation right? All things considered. In GTW sims already give a form of injected shots so why didn't they use a similar animation with the same object? It's not consistent at all and it's jarring to see a vaccine as throwing a drink to your face.

I thought that there would be shots and would love to know why it was thrown. If MVWdeZT figured it out that would be fun to know. For me it is just a little bit strange to assume that the developers would not understand how vaccines work in our world. That it has to be done one way or it would not be valid from a scientific point of view. That bit just strikes me as odd. We have a set of steps that we can take to return ghosts to their living form and so forth, but a vaccine administered in a less preferred way and then the developers do not understand real life science.

I personally thought that it was a bit odd that it was thrown. But I do not directly assume that understanding of real world science is the reason. Also, I do not like how Naus replied to MVWdeZT when the poster pointed out that there apparently is a reason for the vaccine to be thrown rather than give as a shot. MVWdeZT simply points out that there seems to be some hidden tidbit of lore for why it looks like it does.

Naus then replies:
    "Whatever explanation you think they gave (I read every popup text and aspiration goals, I wasn't given any), it doesn't make sense from a scientific point of view. Unless you think science is a matter of opinion."

Whatever explanation you think they gave. I don't know what happens but if there is something then the developers of the game placed it there. It is their world. They can do whatever they want. Then finishing off with "Unless you think science is a matter of opinion" as if MVWdeZT had walzed in happily announcing that the real world is flat and that gravity is a joke. It just feels like such a unnecessary way to speak to people on our forum.

Why not just say "The animation with the vaccine being thrown looks really odd to me". I could get behind that. I dislike it when you make the argument that someone is less understanding, that a person does not understand things. In that case then I really would like to see what you base that on.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Fictional worlds can make up their own rules. But everything needs to be governed by CONSISTENT rules, whether it's physics, biology, astronomy, etc. For example, if you want an alien species without lips to speak perfect English. you must explain how it is possible, given the fact that many words in the English language are articulated using bilabial or labiodental consonants. Same for magic, which needs different laws of physics, as most magic spells violate the Law of Conservation of Mass.

It has been established in previous Sims games (Ambitions, Get to Work) that vaccines are administered through the subcutaneous route with a needle or special device. Any explanation they could give now will CONTRADICT what has been previously established (canon).

At the end of the day, it's just a bunch of excuses apologists or developers make up for lazy animations. It's ridiculous to pretend there's some deep lore behind throwing vaccines like drinks when it's pretty clear it was the result of laziness.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    edited March 2019

vet-clinic-head.jpg

Ahem......

Wright has stated that The Sims was actually meant as a satire of U.S. consumer culture.[4] Wright took ideas from the 1977 architecture and urban design book A Pattern Language, American psychologist Abraham Maslow's 1943 paper A Theory of Human Motivation and his hierarchy of needs, and Charles Hampden-Turner's Maps of the Mind to develop a model for the game's artificial intelligence (from wiki)

And all the way back to sims 1 (especially there) and in Sims 2, there was very quirky things that are NOT a part of real life.

As satire/parody it does what it is supposed to do and that is exaggerate the normal to the ridiculous.
  • Options
    fullspiral wrote: »

vet-clinic-head.jpg

Ahem......

Wright has stated that The Sims was actually meant as a satire of U.S. consumer culture.[4] Wright took ideas from the 1977 architecture and urban design book A Pattern Language, American psychologist Abraham Maslow's 1943 paper A Theory of Human Motivation and his hierarchy of needs, and Charles Hampden-Turner's Maps of the Mind to develop a model for the game's artificial intelligence (from wiki)

And all the way back to sims 1 (especially there) and in Sims 2, there was very quirky things that are NOT a part of real life.

As satire/parody it does what it is supposed to do and that is exaggerate the normal to the ridiculous.

Excuse you?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Fictional worlds can make up their own rules. But everything needs to be governed by CONSISTENT rules, whether it's physics, biology, astronomy, etc. For example, if you want an alien species without lips to speak perfect English. you must explain how it is possible, given the fact that many words in the English language are articulated using bilabial or labiodental consonants. Same for magic, which needs different laws of physics, as most magic spells violate the Law of Conservation of Mass.

It has been established in previous Sims games (Ambitions, Get to Work) that vaccines are administered through the subcutaneous route with a needle or special device. Any explanation they could give now will CONTRADICT what has been previously established (canon).

At the end of the day, it's just a bunch of excuses apologists or developers make up for lazy animations. It's ridiculous to pretend there's some deep lore behind throwing vaccines like drinks when it's pretty clear it was the result of laziness.

I agree that Get to Work has shown that one way to give a sim a vaccine is by giving that sim a shot.

I do not know of any information that shows that the ONLY way of administering vaccines to a sim is by giving that sim a shot. What is the evidence for every other way of vaccination being excluded in this fictional universe? It could be something I missed so I am always interested in learning more. I haven't finished the doctor-career and I like to collect little bits of trivia.

Hmm... as for the lore concerning vaccine being thrown being stupid, I will wait with the verdict on that until I know what that lore is. If you know do share, I am curious.

I can't help but notice that you use a lot of academic words so I might as well do it too. Perhaps I am biased in this case since I used to work as a material tester following ASTM-standards. That would be the "American Society for Testing and Materials". Proving that you have followed that standard to the letter and that your results are not only correct but also that others can achieve the same results as you of they have the materials, the equipment and the standards was for a while my thing. But then my field is materials and not medicine. When you in your earlier posts connected your criticism of the developers and MVWdeZT to the understanding of science in our world it got my attention and I disliked it. For me anything in this game concerning testing is so far far removed from anything in the "real world" that it just feels...well like fantasy. Or perhaps a game.

I expected them to use the animation of a sim getting a shot. The animation for a sim getting a fluid substance thrown in their face is more amusing so that is a bonus.
  • Options
    MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    @SilentKitty

If you haven't finish the story, make sure you don't mind reading this spoiler.
    If you have made more vaccines then necessary for the storyline, you still have vaccines in your inventory when you come to the end, you'll have the opportunity to throw them at the Mother causing more injuries.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Melpomena wrote: »
    @SilentKitty

If you have made more vaccines then necessary for the storyline, you still have vaccines in your inventory when you come to the end, you'll have the opportunity to throw them at the Mother causing more injuries.

That's yet another nonsensical part. A vaccine could never be used that way. Sims just throw glasses of "vaccines" at the plant and they have an instantaneous harmful effect. Vaccines were made earlier in the game to HEAL / free people from Mother's control, so it doesn't make sense that later on they can be used to hurt Mother herself? You're literally throwing at Mother her OWN PATHOGENS! It's a massive plot hole and it's never explained. What kind of deus-ex-vaccines are these? They work exactly how the plot needs them to work at any given moment. They have no consistency or underlying rules.

Honestly, the more I think about the plot in StrangerVille, the angrier I feel THIS is what passes now as an acceptable plot.
  • Options

@Melpomena But of course :) thank you so much !!
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Melpomena wrote: »
    @SilentKitty

That's yet another nonsensical part. A vaccine could never be used that way. Sims just throw glasses of "vaccines" at the plant and they have an instantaneous harmful effect. Vaccines were made earlier in the game to HEAL / free people from Mother's control, so it doesn't make sense that later on they can be used to hurt Mother herself? You're literally throwing at Mother her OWN PATHOGENS! It's a massive plot hole and it's never explained. What kind of deus-ex-vaccines are these? They work exactly how the plot needs them to work at any given moment. They have no consistency or underlying rules.

Honestly, the more I think about the plot in StrangerVille, the angrier I feel THIS is what passes now as an acceptable plot.

So let's worry about the authenticity of administering a vaccine to a huge malevolent plant. Should they have required an alcohol swab first?