Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Beyond Frustrated...

StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
I love this game so much.

Seriously.

But, I have gotten to the point where I dread even TRYING to open it because it
1. Won't even load
2. Can finally get the launcher to show my packs as installed, press play...AND IT LOADS AS IF I DIDN'T CLICK ON ANY PACKS IN THE LAUNCHER SO I HAVE TO FORCE EXIT OUT AND START OVER....IF THE LAUNCHER WILL EVEN LOAD
3. Glitches make gameplay all but impossible
4. EA DOES NOT GIVE A FAIRY FART ABOUT FIXING ANYTHING IN THIS GAME
5. I will finally get the game going and then it freezes and closes out
6. No matter what I do, a save can and will become corrupted and I lose entire legacies, etc
7. Again, NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO FIX THESE ISSUES OR EVEN CARE ABOUT FIXING THESE ISSUES

Can the creators just stop deluding themselves that those of us still playing Sims 3 instead of the joke that is Sims 4 will ever give up on Sims 3? It absolutely is the best game in the series and I just wish someone, anyone on the team cared enough to fix these issues.

Sorry, just frustrated because I have tried to load the launcher 7 times now with no packs showing. I've repaired, I've updated, NADA. NOW ORIGIN ISN'T EVEN LOADING, so I uninstalled Origin and am waiting now for it to install. Hopefully that works but I DOUBT IT.

(Before anyone asks, I have no idea why the packs won't stay on the launcher. I bought all of them through EA, Origin, and the store and not resellers).

Here's a link to pics of my toddler that is supposed to be on the ground but is just sitting in the middle of the air, looking like Humpty Dumpty on the wall: https://imgur.com/a/R020Eef

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hello :) All is not lost. If you can get this post transferred to the tech section there are some brilliant people there who may be able to help you get your game working again. I am sorry that I can't help further but I am not an Origin user. I still play using installed disks.

Hopefully it is something fairly simple to fix for you because, as you say, it is a great game and it would be a pity if you gave up now. Leaving a toddler sitting in mid air might mean a visit from the social worker :) Good Luck in getting it sorted. May I suggest a little break from the game might help. I find a cup of coffee and a few choice swear words very helpful when plum CAW decides not to work.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    Hello :) All is not lost. If you can get this post transferred to the tech section there are some brilliant people there who may be able to help you get your game working again. I am sorry that I can't help further but I am not an Origin user. I still play using installed disks.

Hopefully it is something fairly simple to fix for you because, as you say, it is a great game and it would be a pity if you gave up now. Leaving a toddler sitting in mid air might mean a visit from the social worker :) Good Luck in getting it sorted. May I suggest a little break from the game might help. I find a cup of coffee and a few choice swear words very helpful when plum CAW decides not to work.

Thanks, I just came back not too long ago after an extended break. Not because I wanted to take a break, mind you, work got crazy, lol. I used to never have problems with the launcher and everything was working super fast and great since I got my new computer specifically to play the game better, and then *ppffbbtttt* ...this is something that started shortly after I was able to play again on the same new computer that previously had zero problem with it ie; it's not a tech problem.

It's a sims 3 game problem. Always has been.

The way this game was pushed out and then ignored once the problems, etc started happening makes me irate. And then, to not even fix it and push Sims 4 in your face like it's the greatest thing ever after they took everything that was fun in Sims 3 out of it? NO. NO. NO.

It just disgusts me that people pay SO very much money for this game only to have SO MANY problems with it? Yeah, they're definitely laughing all of the way to the bank.

*scream*

Sorry, like I said...just frustrated. Frustrated that I spent so much money because this is the one and only game I play, to have to turn around and depend on people who don't even get paid by EA to come up with mods or resolutions THAT SHOULDN'T EVEN NEED TO EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE. I have never seen nor heard of any other game that relies so heavily on modding and such JUST TO MAKE IT WORK. It's ridiculous.

Just needed to rant.

Thanks for listening <3
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2019
    StephSteb wrote: »
    I have never seen nor heard of any other game that relies so heavily on modding and such JUST TO MAKE IT WORK. It's ridiculous.

Just needed to rant.

Thanks for listening.
    You might be surprised. What makes TS3 a bit more unusual though is that it has enough properly made, inspiringly clever, and respectable elements for a simulation game for many of us to want to go through all these hoops we feel that we need to in order to get and make it more playable. There is something, difficult to define perhaps, but enticing about it that keeps us drawn in. Other games that are poorly made and have fewer to no redeeming qualities tend to make players lose interest in droves as there aren't enough mods in the world to make them both playable and interesting.

I got tired of playing hide and seek with Origin and my EPs myself quite a while ago and repurchased TS3 with all of its packs on Steam during one of their periodic 80% off sales. Now am thus back on Patch 1.67 and no more Origin headaches. The Steam platform stays out of the way and I start the game with a Launcher bypass (usually, unless I have store content or CC to manage), so things are again much simpler. Guess that solution is not for everyone, but it's worked out very well for me and many others.

As for the rest, we can't make EA care more about a game that has been out of development for over five years now. But we can still assist players who need it. And NRaas is still "open for business," should you be interested. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited February 2019
    igazor wrote: »
    You might be surprised. What makes TS3 a bit more unusual though is that it has enough properly made, inspiringly clever, and respectable elements for a simulation game for many of us to want to go through all these hoops we feel that we need to in order to get and make it more playable. There is something, difficult to define perhaps, but enticing about it that keeps us drawn in. Other games that are poorly made and have fewer to no redeeming qualities tend to make players lose interest in droves as there aren't enough mods in the world to make them both playable and interesting.

I got tired of playing hide and seek with Origin and my EPs myself quite a while ago and repurchased TS3 with all of its packs on Steam during one of their periodic 80% off sales. Now am thus back on Patch 1.67 and no more Origin headaches. The Steam platform stays out of the way and I start the game with a Launcher bypass (usually, unless I have store content or CC to manage), so things are again much simpler. Guess that solution is not for everyone, but it's worked out very well for me and many others.

As for the rest, we can't make EA care more about a game that has been out of development for over five years now. But we can still assist players who need it. And NRaas is still "open for business," should you be interested. ;)

Yes, I agree with the first point. It's the potential of the awesome things that DO work that keeps me coming back.

I am not EVEN about to spend MORE money to make this game work. While I absolutely bet that it plays better through Steam, NOPE, EA doesn't get another dime from me unless 1. they totally fix and revamp Sims 3 or 2. Sims 5 comes out and it's waaayyyyyy better than Sims 3. I mean, WAY. BETTER.

I am aware that it's 5 years old, but it's plum customer service. They don't care to fix it bc they KNOW we're going to keep buying it and putting up with it.

I have visited the new website. It's awesome. I am not talking smack about NRAAS mods AT ALL. I use Error Trap, Story Progression, Overwatch, and Traveler. I used MC for awhile but I don't anymore (nothing against the mod, I just didn't use it as much as I thought I would). What I meant is that EA should put NRAAS on the payroll because without these mods, it would be even more impossible to play the game. It just makes me sick that we HAVE to use mods to get the game to even work, half the time. That's just bad business, period. They SHOULD HAVE FIXED these issues MORE than 5 years ago as they have been around since the game was made. It's not a matter of wanting them to fix it NOW, it's a matter of they shouldn't even exist NOW because they were found and known YEARS ago and they just do/did not care.

BLEH. >:/

• thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    I think it's a problem all gaming companies have been facing. More profit and less quality. There are hundreds of videos on youtube showing weird bugs on games. There are many complaints about games being simplified. I wonder if they do it because of cost or whether their professionals are so stressed out having to work with tight schedules that they simply can't create something flawless. When I used to create 3D models, I would take a week to make the shell of a house. Imagine what these professionals must do since they have to "deliver" new content every day. Have you heard the fiasco of "Fallout 76"?

Moddable games may be the worst. I looks to me as if players are expected to fix and improve the base game.

I can imagine how frustrating it is for you. I also don't use origin and I've been considering having a sims 3 copy on steam. The game is indeed too expensive and I think the discs I've bought have already paid themselves. Even though the money goes to the game company, I show them which game I believe is worth working on. If they want to listen, that's another story.

I do hope you manage to make your game stable and can enjoy making your sims again.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    I think it's a problem all gaming companies have been facing. More profit and less quality. There are hundreds of videos on youtube showing weird bugs on games.

This sure won't help, but it is the same with everything, whiteware, TV's, cars etc. What lasted "a lifetime" fifty years ago, is now built not to last, just so we continue spending our money...
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    StephSteb wrote: »

Thanks, I just came back not too long ago after an extended break. Not because I wanted to take a break, mind you, work got crazy, lol. I used to never have problems with the launcher and everything was working super fast and great since I got my new computer specifically to play the game better, and then *ppffbbtttt* ...this is something that started shortly after I was able to play again on the same new computer that previously had zero problem with it ie; it's not a tech problem.

It's a sims 3 game problem. Always has been.

The way this game was pushed out and then ignored once the problems, etc started happening makes me irate. And then, to not even fix it and push Sims 4 in your face like it's the greatest thing ever after they took everything that was fun in Sims 3 out of it? NO. NO. NO.

It just disgusts me that people pay SO very much money for this game only to have SO MANY problems with it? Yeah, they're definitely laughing all of the way to the bank.

*scream*

Sorry, like I said...just frustrated. Frustrated that I spent so much money because this is the one and only game I play, to have to turn around and depend on people who don't even get paid by EA to come up with mods or resolutions THAT SHOULDN'T EVEN NEED TO EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE. I have never seen nor heard of any other game that relies so heavily on modding and such JUST TO MAKE IT WORK. It's ridiculous.

Just needed to rant.

Thanks for listening <3

You are most welcome :)

I think the reality is no game is completely bug and glitch free. Obviously as players who have invested heavily in a game we would want and expect the company producing the game to fix these things. Sadly for TS3 it is far too late. Most of the dev team that worked on TS3 have either moved on or are now firmly focussed on TS4. No different really from when TS3 launched and TS2 was pushed into the background.

Many games have mods, more commonly to enhance the game. We are incredibly lucky to not only have a wealth of knowledge here on the forum to help players but modders who are prepared to spend time and energy resolving the issues.

As I said I hope there is a simple fix for your current problems. If you are doing a stressful job then you need TS3 to behave itself.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    @jillbg That's so true. Sometimes the price of the repair is higher than a new one.
    Another hint for the preference of a new game instead of fixing the old one. :-( But we're guilty for what's going on as well.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    I think it's a problem all gaming companies have been facing. More profit and less quality. There are hundreds of videos on youtube showing weird bugs on games. There are many complaints about games being simplified. I wonder if they do it because of cost or whether their professionals are so stressed out having to work with tight schedules that they simply can't create something flawless. When I used to create 3D models, I would take a week to make the shell of a house. Imagine what these professionals must do since they have to "deliver" new content every day. Have you heard the fiasco of "Fallout 76"?

Moddable games may be the worst. I looks to me as if players are expected to fix and improve the base game.

I can imagine how frustrating it is for you. I also don't use origin and I've been considering having a sims 3 copy on steam. The game is indeed too expensive and I think the discs I've bought have already paid themselves. Even though the money goes to the game company, I show them which game I believe is worth working on. If they want to listen, that's another story.

I do hope you manage to make your game stable and can enjoy making your sims again.

There will be game companies who don't care about fans, quality and decent customer service. But there will be game companies that do care about fans, quality and decent customer service. You just have to pay attention to find out which companies have integrity and which that does not.

There are game companies and games out there that strive for the best and their workmanship shows it. Also, I should mention it's important to pay attention to the track record of developers because it can be quite telling. Like many, I still have no clue about the story of Death Stranding but the intrigue seems to be in the mystery. Not to mention...it's from Hideo Kojima and I find what games so far I did play of his quite interesting. Though, I have yet to play MGSV: Phantom Pain. I even remember watching a relative play MGS4: Guns of Patriots and they got so mad because they couldn't get past this one part and I couldn't get them to try again. So I actually played that section until I passed it, saved so they would continue the story because it is that good. :smiley: I played MGR: Revengeance and enjoyed that game a lot. Another aspect I like of Kojima games is his cleverness to make a point. So I'm curious and excited about his upcoming game.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    edited February 2019
    Thanks, everyone. After uninstalling and reinstalling Origin, the launcher is finally cooperating again. Packs are showing up every time I load and gameplay is back to "normal" whatever that means, lol.

@thuggishsplicer I *did* hear about Fallout 76, actually! While I only play this game, both of my kids are pretty avid gamers and keep me in the loop so to speak. I am in agreement 100% with your less quality, more profit comment. It's truly sad. I don't understand why these companies rely so heavily on the community to mod problems etc instead of just working on these things in house. It's incredibly frustrating...and seems wrong. As much as they charge for games, it not only should work but vacuum my house for me (just kidding), lol.

@jillbg It's interesting that you say that! I just watched this documentary on planned obsolescence and it was quite eye opening about how companies made things that wouldn't last on purpose. It's called The Lightbulb Conspiracy, I think? It's definitely interesting if you'd like to check it out.

@Bettyboop55 I am learning a lot about modding in other games from you guys and my kids, lol! It's just crazy to me how they can put out games that aren't checked, rechecked, and checked again for any problems. No quality control. I don't mind mods for custom content for fancy outfits or weapons or whatever, it's the fact that in order for the game to work, you HAVE to use mods. Just seems wrong to me (and my wallet).

Hopefully, it was just a matter of uninstalling and reinstalling Origin. *hope*hope* Thanks again everyone for listening <3
    @StephSteb Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out later tonight, with a cup of tea... :)
    NymlADp.jpg
    Well, I spoke too soon. Uninstalling and reinstalling Origin did NOT work. Played for awhile. Closed out and tried to start it up the next day...NO EXPANSION OR STUFF PACKS.

Does anyone have a link to the superpatcher or know how to go back to the old patch?

Also, has anyone ever found a conflict with this and using CCcleaner? Do using custom worlds instead of regular worlds affect the launcher?

I think I spend more time "fixing" this game than actually playing it, sometimes.

Le sigh. :'(
    I don't think you can go back to the old patch without uninstalling everything. I regularly use CCleaner, and it doesn't affect the launcher and I have several custom worlds installed...

Link to superpatcher:
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Patching
    NymlADp.jpg
    jillbg wrote: »
    I don't think you can go back to the old patch without uninstalling everything. I regularly use CCleaner, and it doesn't affect the launcher and I have several custom worlds installed...

Link to superpatcher:
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Patching

Thanks so much!

I ended up uninstalling everything anyway to see if that would work. Of course, it's taking 2132548522557 years because we bought a house last summer in the middle of nowhere which means we have to use satellite inturdweb (downloads are slower than a crawl).

I'm going to give the superpatcher a try and just go back to the last patch. I never liked the expansion pack thingy anyway and I don't think the 1.69 patch added/fixed anything (except it made this game even more impossible to play).

I always wondered if the CCleaner was affecting it. Good to know it's not. I love that program! Thanks again <3
    edited March 2019
    The 1.67 Superpatch can only be used effectively on an all-disc install, with the base game disc in particular having been manufactured prior to Sept 2012 (the ages of the EP/SP discs don't matter). If the base game disc is newer than that/says "Origin" on the packaging anywhere, or if any one of the base game or EP/SPs are Origin installed rather than disc, you will end up back on Patch 1.69 with no choice in the matter. Running the Superpatch over what is already an Origin/1.69 install to downpatch will break the game.

If you do have an all-disc collection to work with and are reinstalling that way, be sure not to accept any offers to get the EA Download Manager along the way. The EADM was Origin's predecessor and will do all it can to update itself back to Origin.

The other two ways to stay on 1.67 are to switch over to a Steam install (requires repurchasing as mentioned prior) or play the Mac version of the game (which of course requires a Mac to begin with, and is also a more crippled version of the game so not really recommended).
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    I had trouble with the packs not being listed on the launcher since that patch. I just try to remember to check it before entering the game.

My brilliant son just explained to me why newer computers have trouble running older games. Something about the older games just can't take advantage of the way newer computers run. Core processors and stuff...I mean it goes over my head. So even if you have a top of the line computer, an old game still not might run as well as you'd expect. Like the graphics will be great and you can have that all on high settings but it could still take forever to load up. (I asked him to type out what he said to me and he said no..lol)

Most of my trouble with the game starts when I try to recolor alot of stuff with CAS. After a time it just does not respond or the interface messes up - and I can sense when it's going to bog down - so I quickly save and exit so as not to loose all that hard work. I turned down all my settings today just so I could build on the world I'm working on. It seems the more I fix the place up..the laggier it gets. And yes, I have a ton of CC that I will not for any reason give up!
    edited March 2019
    (I asked him to type out what he said to me and he said no..lol)
    I don't know how old this child is of yours (could be 35 I guess), but have you tried taking a privilege away or making him stand in the corner? According to some game developers, these things work wonders to change around a rebellious child/teen's behavior when necessary. >:)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    edited March 2019
    Close, igazor! He will be 34 this year! And I make him stand in the corner all the time - he thinks he's such a smarty pants!