Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simmers that don't like University: What should they add for you to get it?

Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
edited March 2019 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
University is one of the most requested packs out there for any sims iteration. There are, however, simmers that aren't interested in this topic (myself included). Of course though, there are things in many packs that attract players that would otherwise not care for the topic.

What would TS4: University/Get to School have to include for you to be interested enough to buy it?

The pack should add more than one new career (ex: educator, engineer [chemical, environmental or technology branches] etc), new branches in existing careers and a generous handful of new skills and activities (example: theater, choir, miming, ballet etc.), for it to be worth buying for me.
It would also be fun if sims can volunteer as test subjects for experiments, research projects etc. for extra money (but things could go wrong!). Sims can also volunteer to be nude models for the art students (either gives sim a rush or makes them quite mortified) etc.

I hope that there are two active Uni/School options for your kids and students to choose from - public school or private school for kids and teens, and grand (Harvard-esque) or budget for uni. Having dynamic choices that differ a lot in aesthetic will make the pack more replayable for me and also help establish social classes, which are always fun. I also looooove building/decorating, so the build/buy that come from these styles will be great for me to play around with.
The pack would also have to come with a new neighbourhood/world, even if it's only like the neighbourhood with the hospital and police station from GTW. I'd like if the pack comes with a small (maybe 10 lots) world that contains all the schools, universities and hostels in the world, as well as hangouts for students. I don't know how Universities in TS4 would work, but I'm guessing that it won't be like TS3 where the world freezes and you only play with your uni student sims until they graduate. If sims can live in this new world (even if only during their uni-going years), I hope that living as a student brings enough uniqueness and fun to give me a reason to send them there.
New worlds always make me happy because I love new environments and aesthetic surroundings for my sims. The world that Uni comes with, could be really stunning.

As for fun things:
Sims giving each other tatoos or going to a salon for professional ones.
Being super artsy (slam poetry nights, art films, THEATER etc).
New games and activities like pool, table tennis, juice pong, spin the bottle etc.
Many convenient, unhealthy recipes and delivery options (instant ramen, more pizza flavours, Chinese take-out etc)

These things will make the pack worth buying to me, even if I barely ever actually send my sims to Uni.
Post edited by Louise_G0325 on

Comments

• Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    It needs to be more than just university. It should be a school pack that focuses on all ages. Let babies go to daycare, toddlers to preschool, kids to elementary, teens to high school, AND YAs to university. I'm tired of packs focusing only on young adults; the other life stages are severally neglected and I have no interest in any more packs that will once again only cater to one age group. And all of the schools need to be equal. Example: Don't let us travel to high school with teens, but kids at elementary is only a rabbit hole. Again, the favoritism towards the older life stages needs to stop.

Also, a teaching career is a must. Plus give kids and teens more after school activities and DIFFERENT ones at that. Kids and teens have different interests, give them after school activities that reflect that.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    I eventually buy all the packs, but will wait for a University pack to go on sale before buying.

Things that would get me excited about a University pack:
    • New hobbies of any kind
    • A nice selection of clothing and hair
    • Several new interact able objects (bunk beds, pool table, etc.)
    • Being able to build your own schools
    • Customizable majors
    • More than one new trait and/or aspiration
    • Something surprising and fun
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Stuff for teens.

Maybe sports, perhaps? That could include child/teen after school activities also. I am appreciating the scouts and drama club for giving my kids more goals, so they could use that mechanic. But also more sports objects besides basketball.

Bands came with university in sims2, so they'd be nice here too. And my teens could start a garage band.

Speaking of garages, university wouldn't be a bad time to add cars if they're ever going to. Going off to college is when some people get their first car after all. Plus car repair/restoration could be one of the classes offered.

I'd almost prefer a community college kind of vibe, where they can take classes in various skills, and teens and elders and adults could take evening and/or online classes. And a mechanic where your sims could teach these classes even outside university, for example at the gym or the museum or library if you put a specific object in the room any sim could lead a class there.

I never played Sims3, so I don't know how university worked there. But I'd definitely prefer the Sims4 version to be more integrated than it was in Sims2, with the campus existing in a normal livable town rather than whole worlds just for students. So, in order to have realistic populations on campus lots, this would be a good opportunity to add lot traits to specify that a lot attracts and/or is limited to certain types of sims. This could include age ranges (I really want a teen hangout spot option) and also specific groups such as university students, supernaturals, celebrities, etc. And I want all such traits to be available for us to assign, not background code for premade lots.
  • Options
    craftaholiccraftaholic Posts: 447 Member
    If they give me a good arcade, play alone machines, basketball shooter, skeeball, dance game, a sit on motocross machine, and a sit-in driving game. I tend to make my decision on what my Sim can interact with when buying.
    Stop me if you've heard this one: a sim walks into a bar....player moves bar out of the way.....sim walks on without walking into anything else.
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    A lot of the things you all have mentioned make it more worthwhile to me, but if the only option is active schools, I will likely not be investing. It's maybe one of the ideas I hate most that people pitch about the game. And I don't mean to be mean, if you like it that's fine. I don't even understand where the visceral reaction comes from, because I have GTW and like active careers, but there's something about active schools that makes me immediately go "no thanks". Maybe because so much of it is just sitting and learning and notes anyway, that I don't feel the need to have something active that is going to feel like a rabbit hole anyway. So at the very least, going to class with my Sims would have to be optional, and I wouldn't be penalized for not going with them (i.e. if you accompany them you're certain to do better in school faster, but if you don't go with them, too bad).

I like the idea of having schools that you can choose to live at, or commute from home, or go online. I like the ideas of more clubs and hobbies for kids and teens. Basically it has to have so much more added gameplay than just "you can send your Sims to school and then to a few new added careers". I will have to be convinced to buy into a uni/school pack, because I remember playing in TS2 and being bored to tears, especially since the entire YA lifestage was spent at college (please never do this again let college be shorter or customizable with short/normal/long like with aging).
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    A lot of the things you all have mentioned make it more worthwhile to me, but if the only option is active schools, I will likely not be investing. It's maybe one of the ideas I hate most that people pitch about the game. And I don't mean to be mean, if you like it that's fine. I don't even understand where the visceral reaction comes from, because I have GTW and like active careers, but there's something about active schools that makes me immediately go "no thanks". Maybe because so much of it is just sitting and learning and notes anyway, that I don't feel the need to have something active that is going to feel like a rabbit hole anyway. So at the very least, going to class with my Sims would have to be optional, and I wouldn't be penalized for not going with them (i.e. if you accompany them you're certain to do better in school faster, but if you don't go with them, too bad).

I like the idea of having schools that you can choose to live at, or commute from home, or go online. I like the ideas of more clubs and hobbies for kids and teens. Basically it has to have so much more added gameplay than just "you can send your Sims to school and then to a few new added careers". I will have to be convinced to buy into a uni/school pack, because I remember playing in TS2 and being bored to tears, especially since the entire YA lifestage was spent at college (please never do this again let college be shorter or customizable with short/normal/long like with aging).

I also think it should be optional to attend. I'd only occasionally follow my sims to school/uni if I actually have a plan for that day, want to make friends etc. Otherwise it'd be really boring just watching my sims watch sims give lectures.
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Photo booths would be neat
    latest?cb=20120401061418
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    To get me buy a university pack they would have to add an interesting spin to it. Something beyond young adults studying and partying. In the past I gave my universities in Sims 2 and the make-belief colleges in Sims 4 a theme to make them more interesting: police academy, military school, astronaut training and expedition basecamp were my favourites.

The developers would have to offer something that I cannot yet simulate with the normal game and EPs. Maybe a superhero or magic school that comes with a system where the students have to keep the secret about the institute? But how to implement that? Just making sure not to use powers/magic in sight of another sim isn't enough. I can check that myself already, don't need the game to monitor it.

If the pack offered a real dueling system unlike that *swearword* sparring where I cannot recognize which sim won, that would seal the deal for me, I think. Or even a boring normal university, but with a focus on sports competitions, preferably team Vs. team.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Just stop focusing gameplay on young adults, CAS on females, etc.. and I will buy everything on pre-order
  • Options
    HaylziesHaylzies Posts: 169 Member
    As others have said, they just need to include all education, not just university. If they include grade school features etc for kids and teens then I’ll be on board, otherwise it’s just another university pack for me to ignore.
  • Options
    SinaMegapolisSinaMegapolis Posts: 244 Member
    I would love to play as my sims in university but only if i have multiple options to make my uni adventure vary for each generation i send to the campus.
    • There should be a large number of majors. At least 9.
    • The social groups need to return in some form.
    • Every major should have an exclusive career (e.g. Paranormal) or a hobby (e.g. sewing and pottery) tied to itself.
    • Every major should tie in with a skill and allow the students to earn uni performance by increasing them
    • I want a lot of options to increase uni performance, like writing a term paper, doing homework, studying (basically doing homework but it takes longer, gives more uni pereformance and may give the sim a skill upboost), using Major exclusive objects, debating study subjects with nerds etc
    • My sim should be able to leave the university world for some time (without losing credits toward the degree) as a bonus for high university performance
    • I want to see bunk beds, photo booths, slim laptops and body hair to come back with this pack
    • Integration with other packs! I want exclusive options for occults at the university (e.g. becoming a test subject for simoleons and uni performance). And also it would be fun if we had the option to do scavenger hunts for more uni performance (e.g. "Bring 7 weird purple plants from Strangervile to study about"
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    I would love to play as my sims in university but only if i have multiple options to make my uni adventure vary for each generation i send to the campus.
    • There should be a large number of majors. At least 9.
    • The social groups need to return in some form.
    • Every major should have an exclusive career (e.g. Paranormal) or a hobby (e.g. sewing and pottery) tied to itself.
    • Every major should tie in with a skill and allow the students to earn uni performance by increasing them
    • I want a lot of options to increase uni performance, like writing a term paper, doing homework, studying (basically doing homework but it takes longer, gives more uni pereformance and may give the sim a skill upboost), using Major exclusive objects, debating study subjects with nerds etc
    • My sim should be able to leave the university world for some time (without losing credits toward the degree) as a bonus for high university performance
    • I want to see bunk beds, photo booths, slim laptops and body hair to come back with this pack
    • Integration with other packs! I want exclusive options for occults at the university (e.g. becoming a test subject for simoleons and uni performance). And also it would be fun if we had the option to do scavenger hunts for more uni performance (e.g. "Bring 7 weird purple plants from Strangervile to study about"

I agree with everything here except tying hobbies to majors, as I may want to use those with sims I don't want to take time sending through university (unless there is a cheat to unlock them). Everything else would be awesome.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I don't want University I want an Education pack. I want there to be a focus on Kid's and Teen's schooling not just more YA/Adult stuff. They've never fully explored what it means to be a child or a teen in the Sim's universe. Yes there has been stuff for them to do or use but it was only very minor and a sideline to the YA/Adult life stage they've never been the focus and I want them to be. I want to go to school with them, I want more after school activities, I want clubs and school sports, I want tutoring and detentions, I want to go to school with them or go on field trips with them, I want school to be harder and more in depth and have real consequences for getting in trouble at school or failing. I want there to be more schooling options. A return of the various boarding schools and military school. I want to be able to send my Goth and Landgraab students to private schools while my Legacy child goes to public school and above all I want an option to homeschool my kids without having to mod or cheat to do so. I want my children's interests, skills & aspirations to have the ability to be tailored to what they can do better at in school (I want it to be an option not forced on me) or at least have an impact on their adult lives a bit more. I want the Education career back and I don't even mind if it's a rabbit hole since I'd rather go to school with the kids then YA/Adults.

I guess at that point it would have to be a different pack from University but it's what I really want.

As to what can be done for Uni I don't know...it just needs to actually be interested I enjoyed it in Sims 2 and Sims 3 but after one or two times it was just boring and I didn't bother to send them unless i wanted a specific aspiration or career to be available to a sim.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    SinaMegapolisSinaMegapolis Posts: 244 Member
    3KNPen wrote: »
    I guess at that point it would have to be a different pack from University but it's what I really want.
    Yes it should be. Trying to include both University and active schools in a single pack makes them both half-baked. which means everyone lose
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited March 2019
    For me, the biggest downside of University is the idea that I have to wait longer for my Sim to start getting promoted in their job. So I'd want any career advancements perks they earn in school to really be worth the effort. I don't know how it worked in University before, but I'd like to see the experience be really customizable. I'd want to see majors connected with some of the non-active jobs that already exist, not just add on new ones. (Though I'm not against some new ones if there's no equivalent of that job in the game already.)

SimBots. I've been wanting new life states for a while, and you could totally work SimBots into the science and technology departments. ^_^

I'd love to see dormitories, of course. And apartments.

Bunk beds would be huge. If bunk beds and loft beds were included, I might buy the pack just for them. I would likely get University eventually no matter what, but these things would make the difference between an immediate purchase and just waiting for a sale or for another game pack to be released so I can build a custom bundle with it.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    University is one of the most requested packs out there for any sims iteration. There are, however, simmers that aren't interested in this topic (myself included). Of course though, there are things in many packs that attract players that would otherwise not care for the topic.

What would TS4: University/Get to School have to include for you to be interested enough to buy it?

The pack should add more than one new career (ex: educator, engineer [chemical, environmental or technology branches] etc), new branches in existing careers and a generous handful of new skills and activities (example: theater, choir, miming, ballet etc.), for it to be worth buying for me.
    It would also be fun if sims can volunteer as test subjects for experiments, research projects etc. for extra money (but things could go wrong!). Sims can also volunteer to be nude models for the art students (either gives sim a rush or makes them quite mortified) etc.

I hope that there are two active Uni/School options for your kids and students to choose from - public school or private school for kids and teens, and grand (Harvard-esque) or budget for uni. Having dynamic choices that differ a lot in aesthetic will make the pack more replayable for me and also help establish social classes, which are always fun. I also looooove building/decorating, so the build/buy that come from these styles will be great for me to play around with.
    The pack would also have to come with a new neighbourhood/world, even if it's only like the neighbourhood with the hospital and police station from GTW. I'd like if the pack comes with a small (maybe 10 lots) world that contains all the schools, universities and hostels in the world, as well as hangouts for students. I don't know how Universities in TS4 would work, but I'm guessing that it won't be like TS3 where the world freezes and you only play with your uni student sims until they graduate. If sims can live in this new world (even if only during their uni-going years), I hope that living as a student brings enough uniqueness and fun to give me a reason to send them there.
    New worlds always make me happy because I love new environments and aesthetic surroundings for my sims. The world that Uni comes with, could be really stunning.

As for fun things:
    Sims giving each other tatoos or going to a salon for professional ones.
    Being super artsy (slam poetry nights, art films, THEATER etc).
    New games and activities like pool, table tennis, juice pong, spin the bottle etc.
    Many convenient, unhealthy recipes and delivery options (instant ramen, more pizza flavours, Chinese take-out etc)

These things will make the pack worth buying to me, even if I barely ever actually send my sims to Uni.

Wild parties wild makeouts,woohooty text etc
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited March 2019
    I need:
    A full Campus World, not a hidden world. I want t to be able to Install my own Buildings and Colleges even High School.
    To be able to choose the name the school, the school Colors, and the Mascot.

To be able to Staff the school with my own sims, So to become Professor as an active Career, that can branch into 5 Paths
    And for Students focusing on at least 1 Major. but being able to take on 3.

Arts {Painting, Sketching, Photography, Theatre/Acting, Music, Comedy, Cooking, Landscaping}
    Literature and History {Writing, Reading, Research, Law, Myth and Lore, Adventure}
    Science, Math, Medicine {Logic, Mixology, Chemistry, Biology, Anatomy, Psychology, Herbalism.}
    Sports {Soccer, Football, Basketball, Wrestling, Swimming, etc}

And if you want to move up the Administrative (Career only) path you can.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'll probably get it regardless but what I'd like to see:
    • University have a major impact on one's career -- either a larger starting salary or for the branching careers immediately start where you choose a branch (that could mean skipping anywhere from 4-6 level s depending on the career path
    • Customizable curriculuum depending on content -- for example Science and Technology if you have GTW, which could also include Horticulture if you have Seasons. When you graduate with a degree in a subject, you can choose from any of the jobs that fall under that classification, so if you study Science and Technology you could go into Science or Medicine if you have GTW, Gardening with Seasons, or Tech Guru with base game, or if you study Writing and Literature you could go into Writing (BG), Critic (CL), Social Media (CL), etc.
    • More meaningful/active homework for all ages -- one of my favorite features of the much-maligned MFP Stuff is that children can study the caged animal and that counts as the daily homework, so a break from the normal homework. I'd like to see more activities count toward homework such as practicing an instrument for Music class, look for frogs or go fishing for Biology, write an essay for Simlish class, etc. Connected to this I'd like to see "study from home" options similar to what we have in the semi-active careers like in CL, gardening in Seasons, and military in Strangerville
    • Study options -- Sims should be able to commute to campus from their home world. Maybe somedays you just send them on their own for lectures so you can focus on other family members, other days you go with them if they have active research projects or just want to hange out with classmates
    • University world -- Any Sim can visit, can place your own buildings other than three key buildings (Campus Center/Student Union, Library, Lab Building) which can't be deleted but can be edited; for example the Student Union would have the campus gym with treadmills, weight machines and punching bags, but could be edited to add the rock climbing wall from Fitness Stuff and the sparrying dummy from Strangerville if a player owns those packs. Or there might be a kitchen for Culinary studies in the Lab building but if people own Dine Out they can add the Chef Station.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    I would buy University Life/Get To School no matter what, but for me to be completely satisfied with the pack, I'd want their to be stuff for all ages, like to be able to follow your children & teens to grade school and high school, day care for toddlers. Not just focusing on young adults.
    Proud simmer
  • Options
    Arcanine4PresidentArcanine4President Posts: 31 Member
    I would be interested if it was a School Expansion pack. It would include Boarding School, After-School Activities, University, More Traits, and I would want to follow my Sims in every school I listed.
  • Options
    Not_MykieNot_Mykie Posts: 2 New Member
    I would like to have a homeschooling option, and have more to do with the public schools like prom, and after school activities. Not really interested in a university more than I would be interested in just a school pack
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited May 2019
    First of all, I need an assurance that time will stop while the students are being played. I do not want to be forced to choose which Sims to play and leave the others to chance. I want to play and influence the entire household.
    This is why I hate the idea of "opening up the schools". Not only would it be boring, but it would be other "well, I have to choose which one I want to play and ignore the others". I only play the active careers in single Sim households because of this very reason.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I'm not all that fussed about a University EP as I can think of a lot of things I want a lot more (coughwerewolvescough). I think being a student in real life kind of killed the fun of simulating the experience for me lol. However, I will admit I could be swayed quite easily by certain additions. I would especially like an open university/course option for my older/working/parent sims to allow them to study from home for self-fulfilment/career progression. Some options for more practical types and not just academic ones would be nice too e.g. mechanic etc. I would also love a homeschooling option, particularly for my ghost children, and more activities for child and teen sims e.g. ballet classes, sports, prom etc. I'm always happy to have more 'every day' career options e.g. teacher, researcher, librarian, lawyer etc. and interesting traits e.g. socially awkward, cultured etc. as well. I also want more hobbies and bands.
  • Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    edited May 2019
    My personal Get Educated Wishlist
    - Prep school (toddlers) (skill boost and get them out of my face)
    - Private school (child-teen) like ts2
    - Boarding school (child-teen) like ts3
    - University (YA+) where you actively go with the sim to campus. This technically could also apply to boarding schools but I'd like an option to just send them away like ts3. I would like multiple uni options (while pretty much similar gameplay), but I mean an Ivy League(better dorms, higher tuiton), respected middleground college and a community college (underfunded, kinda run down)
    - university online, getting a degree from home, attend classes on a laptop conference and take tests etc on a uni portal (freedom to get perks of uni without always having to go to uni)

Also featuring
    Keg party
    Toga party
    Sororitys and Frats (and a Greek system may be like the fame system)
    Pool table
    "Juice" pong
    Sofa beds
    Poker table
    Speakeasy venues
    Poetry night (like star accolades randomly occuring)
    Freshers fair (festival deal start of term)
    Scholarships

Building a teen/child's college application, ie like a file or computer activity where they update when they win the excellence bunny, or master scouts/skill, volunteer, get an A, get into private school etc. This to me will make a difference in sims applications, it could also be a hidden counter too that determines scholarship or acceptance letters.

And there's too many careers that would fit into this pack as a school pack but definitely an education branch(eg going from substitute teacher to principal), a tutoring job could also work for teens to kids or YA to teens at home.

Edit sidenote
    If they did make boarding schools active (seems similar to uni to me?), it would lay a basis for including a magical school of wizardry like Hogwarts (Putterhead Stuff makes some brilliant sims themed houses and all) as a boarding school in a later magical/witches pack
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    If the CAS is good I'll probably get it

since University is a theme that I absolutely don't care for I feel like it's not in my place to say what I think needs to be in it. I hope they make it good for those who want it and that I can at least enjoy the CAS/Build aspect of it. That's honestly all I ever ask for when it comes to themes I don't like.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)