Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do people get so angry about new Sims 4 content?

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    I'm not seeing the anger, but I do get the frustration with it being (and continuing to be long after a generous period of giving it a chance) such a limited, lackluster version of the sims that it really doesn't belong in the same category as its previous three iterations... in my humble opinion. And each additional content pack (some with just a single play through worth of content) just seems to accentuate how truncated and window-dressed it is.

Well that is how you feel but not the way everyone feels. You have to keep that in mind. I am actually enjoying the game a lot since toddlers, the Vamps, and all the packs since those - and love the direction it is going in. I also deserve a right to my opinion too. I do not agree with how you feel, just agree you have an equal right to feel that way - I have a right to love it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I have to say, as an occult player, I've never seen people ever be so hostile toward non-realistic gameplay ideas. It really makes me frustrated since we've gotten so many packs dedicated to realism over the last few years. The last occult we got was vampires... in 2017. Isn't it about time they do something unrealistic?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I have to say, as an occult player, I've never seen people ever be so hostile toward non-realistic gameplay ideas. It really makes me frustrated since we've gotten so many packs dedicated to realism over the last few years. The last occult we got was vampires... in 2017. Isn't it about time they do something unrealistic?

I love the occults too and definitely miss witches as all three of the first Sims games had them - we really need them in my view. As for others not liking them - well people like what they like. I can't really say anything about that.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2019
    For me its a mix of two different things. The first being that you will see many people on the forums and twitter asking for certain things. Then when they finally release something, its something that no one asked for. I understand that they want to put new stuff in the game and you can't make everyone happy, but at least try to take some suggestions about what a good portion of your fan base wants to see in game. Also I like new content just as much as anyone but not at the expense of having old content form previous games excluded. This could all be solved by putting the stuff you know is going to requested in the base game so it leaves more options for newer pack ideas in the future. I think more people would be more open to new content this way.

The second reason for me would be when they decide to add new things without fixing some of the broken stuff already in game. They've already said that there won't be a patch this month so they can work on new content but that means we will also have to wait for bug fixes too. I would rather wait longer for a pack to come out if it meant we would get bug fixes for broken content more often. I know many people don't feel that way but it makes the most sense to me.

All this being said I do agree there are other more calm ways to show our frustrations than being hostile towards others.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    I think this comes down to the fact that for a lot of people, the Sims is their main game, a game they grew up with and have been playing for 18 years. Seeing previous games and what they offered in terms of content...then seeing how in comparison, TS4 has not lived up to it's predecessors. Most of the 'exciting' free content are things that should have been in the basegame, toddlers, pools, and terrain for example. Whereas most of the other free content add very little to the game...a new plant or a ceiling fan decoration. Not to say that we should be given things for free but at least make it feel meaningful when we are.

Then you have the paid content. People either love it or loathe it. It can be frustrating to wait months for a pack only to find it doesn't interest you, so you go back to hoping that in another few months something you like will come along. The Sims 4 has been out for 4? years yet we are still seriously lacking in content for 'builders'. New packs add very little and a lot of us, fell like we are being ignored. Building is a big part of the game, but it seems story takes precedent when it comes to new releases.

How much longer will we have to wait for an Architect Pack/ Builder Pack/ Construction Pack...surely after 4 years we don't have to wait much longer
  • kathdelinekathdeline Posts: 38 Member

I appreciate packs like Parenthood but I’m so tired of realism too. Strangerville isn’t realism but 1. The Sims is not something where SV belongs imo 2. We didn’t get a new lifestate 3. Many people have told it’s something you do once and the excitement is gone. We, the occult players, want stuff that LASTS.

There’s 🐸🐸🐸🐸 of stuff for family players and nothing but vampires and completely useless aliens for us.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited March 2019
    Catlady wrote: »
    I'm part of several Sims 4 groups besides this forum and whenever some new DLC is announced a lot of people get really angry and behave like they're being personally attacked and what not, i.e. if said new content is not to their liking.
    I just can't seem to understand this. Is this just an internet thing that happens due to the anonymity?
    This makes me kinda sad to be honest, just like the old discussion about each previous title being way better than the current Sims title (happened with Sims 3 when it was new, just like it is now with the Sims 4).
    What are your thoughts? Is that something you think about as well?

I am not really seeing anger. I am seeing frustration and disappointment. As for myself, I am severely critical of all the DLC anymore, because none of it has been to the standards which I expect. My required standards for this game are very high. I also wait and view all I can about any new DLC to see how much I believe it is worth. For example, the latest $20 game pack is not even worth $5, according to my views.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    I get those people who might be mad cuz there's a pack that they don't like that comes out. And theirs didn't.

But the ones that I hate are those who make comments like, "Oh my God, a celebrity pack!??! I don't need this!! There are more important stuff that we need!! We need spiral stairs and bunk beds!!!"
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member

Totally agreed. Some people seem to forget that occult things have always been in the Sims. Of course it's an expectation at this point! We've been more than patient.

Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    The comparisons to previous Sims are justified as this is billed as the next level in the series and yet so many things that should have been improved upon are simply missing, divided into other packs,reduced in quality, inferior in design and function given to us free 2 years after release. Its pretty obvious that some people refuse to brow beaten into submission and remain skeptical, I hope you will accept Sims 5 with possibly even more missing content while EA are claiming they are making it for commodore 64's and 90s era clam phones
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    edited March 2019
    Let me answer your question with another question: Why do people get so defensive about Sims 4 content?

Why does it matter so much to you if people criticize a game?
  • kathdelinekathdeline Posts: 38 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    Let me answer your question with another question: Why do people get so defensive about Sims 4 content?

This is exactly what I’ve been wondering. Do these people work for EA or something?
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    There's a difference between criticising a game and the behaviour the OP described.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Naus wrote: »

I don't quite understand why it matters to so many people on these forums and elsewhere if others criticize the game, either. Most of those critical have long left the game to those who are now enjoying it or who have eventually learned to tolerate it because there's nothing else.

It's pretty safe to assume that a majority of those who now discuss the game presumably love the game... but just because I insert my opinion that it could be much better somehow invalidates their opinion that they now find the game enjoyable? There's something very unbalanced about that.
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Honestly, this is a silly question. I think you know why humans behave this way. This post feels less like a genuine inquiry and more like a way to identify yourself apart from such behavior. How long have you been playing the sims?
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Maybe they have waited for a new game content for too long and the new pack does not have replayability value.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited March 2019
    Only when the content feels like like it's not meeting it's full potential. Especially if it was a pack and you find out it doesn't have a feature you were looking forward to the most, and becomes a let down.
    Only under those circumstances I can tolerate and sympathize.
    City Living & Get Famous, Seasons a little, are those packs that let me down. and sometimes it becomes personal, because you had high/different expectations, or you began to fantasize a scenario that suits your storyline.

I find it hilarious tho, when others get mad about something amazing also comes with content they don't want or despise.

but hey that's life.

Me I know I'd be furious if I don't get Sorcerers GP and Werewolves GP, a Farming EP/GP, and perhaps a University EP, and one more City type Pack.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    I sometimes think that a pack isn't what I want but if I don't like it I tend not to comment, as I didn't for those who wanted toddlers and Parents' packs when they came out. Let those who wanted them enjoy them and celebrate. I found lots of things in those that I could use later anyway. I'm just not a baby person, toddlers maybe but - you can make fantastic playgrounds and play compounds to keep the kids in when you go to a diner! B)

If I like a pack I feel that I am entitled to celebrate in my turn as with Seasons, Cats and Dogs and now this StrangerVille pack. I am rather surprised that I enjoy the latter so much and was glad that I hadn't let anyone persuade me not to buy it.

It takes all sorts to make a Sims' world and on watching the latest Twitch video 6 I was happy that the Gurus got so enthusiastic about making it. It might give their imagination a boost about forthcoming packs. :)

Frustration doesn't help me. I'd like a Farming type pack myself or Supernatural but University I will deal with and find uses for it in its' turn if it is next. I used to get rid of my teenagers to it when they got to annoy me in Sims 3.
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't get angry. I have never been angry. I might be preceived as angry but have never been 'angry'. I will sum up why people get frustrated with this iteration. 5 yrs equals white shelf.
  • Hecate90Hecate90 Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2019
    I think some people have too high expectations and then they get let down. I can totally understand being disappointed (I know I certainly have been) but to throw a screaming fit over it is pathetic. It's annoying not to like a pack, fair enough, but seriously just don't bother buying it and continue to play the ones you do enjoy if it really offends you THAT MUCH.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited March 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I don't get angry. I have never been angry. I might be preceived as angry but have never been 'angry'. I will sum up why people get frustrated with this iteration. 5 yrs equals white shelf.

You made my day. :joy: We are at the point where we get excited when we get new swatches for one object. -_- And what about the gameplay? What about better personalities? What about cars? What about better babies? And I could keep going. If it does take 5 years for them to make a white shelf I don't know how many decades they need to add what I listed...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 175 Member
    It's me, your favourite Supernatural Advocate, Forum Comedian, Retorter extraordinaire.
    tenor.gif

So to reiterate a compound of responses: It has been five WHOLE years and people are tired. There are a litany of things that need fixing, being implemented and more importantly: Occult Players have been scalped, ignored, dehydrated, scammed and beaten to death.
    tenor.gif

Nevertheless, the game keeps releasing packs in a very hit-or-miss fashion, while the most pertinent and highly-requested things are overlooked. To return to the choice of word, "angry", I'd say it deserves better examining in retrospect of the NUMEROUS packs TS4 keeps churning out at high prices and promises to deliver something else. Can you imagine how much money will be needed to purchase all the packs when this edition of Sims is done? Why aren't copious objects and features bundled into Expansions or Game Packs? Why not mirror the success of the predecessor to placate burgeoning tensions which can lead to boycotts and sale drops?
    tenor.gif

There is an immense amount of wasted potential with every release and it's not only overt but discussed by many Simtubers. Each and every one of us loves The Sims and it hurts those who have been here since older installments to see TS4's grandeur pale. Yes there is still some time left before a tentative Sims 5 but the ITTY-BITS that we get for just three (1 EP, 2 Gps) packs per year isn't cutting it. But I'm gonna stop here cause I know someone's going to interpret this the wrong way.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5027114

• CatladyCatlady Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2019
    soko37 wrote: »
    Honestly, this is a silly question. I think you know why humans behave this way. This post feels less like a genuine inquiry and more like a way to identify yourself apart from such behavior. How long have you been playing the sims?

@soko37 Why do you bother commenting then? It was a genuine question actually. I observed the described behavior particularly in groups on Facebook and just wanted some thoughts from other people on it. The word "angry" seems to bother a lot of people here, if that was the wrong word I apologize, but English is not my mother tongue. Though for me the word seemed fitting.
    What do I gain from profiling myself as "apart from this behavior"? Why does my post bother you that much and why does it matter for how long I've played the Sims? I play the Sims since 2000. Why is that relevant though?

• nude_spanude_spa Posts: 13 New Member
    > @kathdeline said:
    > Naus wrote: »
    > This is exactly what I’ve been wondering. Do these people work for EA or something?
    Give us your money not your opinion.
  • alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    Well, remember they did a livestream to announce an Alexa app?, you don't even have to ask why people are mad about this game, but i'm more mad about this team than the game itself.