Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we fine tune the eating/seating behavior, please?

My sims will do just about anything to avoid eating at the dining room table I've placed so conveniently near the food preparation area. Bad enough that they would walk halfway across the house to go sit on a bed to eat near a kid trying to do their homework. But now when there's no one else in any other room of the house they can go take their plate to awkwardly bother, they just plop down on the kitchen floor right by the fridge.

I know the dining chairs work fine, because if I manually direct the sims to sit in them while eating, they most of the time do, and then later sims will come join them at the table if there's already someone seated there. But in large households with busy schedules this is maddening to micromanage; Sims are late to work and school because they just had to walk halfway across the house to eat near a cat that was sitting on the couch rather than just suck it up and eat at the actual eating table alone.

I could get it if sims with the Outgoing trait were this codependent about being unable to digest food without the presence of another person or animal nearby, but most humans do not do this. When I make myself something to eat, I don't go wander through the house until I find another person and then park next to them holding my plate awkwardly while I get crumbs on their bedsheets. I sit down at the table like a civilized human. Even if the couch in the next room is slightly more comfortable. BEDS AND COUCHES ARE NOT FOR EATING ON.

I would move that sims should ALWAYS default to finding the nearest dining chair/table when eating/drinking, and if people WANT them to eat somewhere weird, THAT is when they should have to manually direct them.

But it's apparently been like this since launch, so I don't have a lot of hope anyone will listen... /shrug Just venting, mostly, I guess :)

Comments

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    Yes, this would be good. I think it would also be nice if sims could have their "own" chair which they default to every time they sit at the dinner table.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member
    SimSiren3 wrote: »
    [...]I know the dining chairs work fine, because if I manually direct the sims to sit in them while eating, they most of the time do, and then later sims will come join them at the table if there's already someone seated there.[...]
    Yes, but then they stand up, put their food into their wrist pocket and start hugging each other. Not once, not twice, sometimes four or five times during a single meal.
    [...]But in large households with busy schedules this is maddening to micromanage;[...]
    Even in a two-person household it is impossible to have an undisturbed dinner without hitting the pause button at least ten times and deleting interactions from the queue.
    [...]I think it would also be nice if sims could have their "own" chair which they default to every time they sit at the dinner table.
    Love the idea. Like claiming a bed.
    [...]But it's apparently been like this since launch, so I don't have a lot of hope anyone will listen...[...]
    The essence of it all...
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    My sim couple with full pink amori and friendly green bars (or whatever they're called) eat as far apart as possible. It is just another smh annoyance.
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    The main reason this happens is because in the code they are designed with a large angle to "seek" an appropriate place for the interactions. Couple that with the fact that if your sim has not yet greeted the other sim, they'll first stand up to greet them. The mod "Less Musical Chairs" addresses this to an extent, but it still happens and it is very annoying. Instead of buffing sims to sit next to your sim, it buffs your sim to stand up and go to the target sim. This is disruptive.

A simple blacklist written for it that bans the need to stand up to interact while sitting down and eating/drinking would go a long way to making this much more tolerable.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    A similar thing I’ve noticed is sims walking past coffee tables to put books on dining tables and putting cooked food on coffee tables.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    If it helps, I have good luck getting my Sims to sit at the table for meals if the table is set.
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    A similar thing I’ve noticed is sims walking past coffee tables to put books on dining tables and putting cooked food on coffee tables.

I have this same problem, especially when they finish grilling or baking.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited March 2019
    Incredibly annoying, but I have found a solution that works for me: If you own Parenthood, try setting the table. Sims, at least in my game, will usually prefer to eat a table that is properly prepared.

Edit: Someone beat me to it! But that means it's not just my game. :)
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    My Sims will either stand up to eat,or they will go all the way to a bed to eat,even after I click on the dining table. It;s so annoying! They alos take FOREVER to eat...Sims ate quikcly in Sims 1 and 2,so why do they have to take about 30-60 minutes to eat a meal? I want my Sims to eat,not take pcitures of food or look around and stare at random stuff for 15 minutes.PLease fix this,EA!
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Incredibly annoying, but I have found a solution that works for me: If you own Parenthood, try setting the table. Sims, at least in my game, will usually prefer to eat a table that is properly prepared.

Edit: Someone beat me to it! But that means it's not just my game. :)

;):D
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    My Sims will either stand up to eat,or they will go all the way to a bed to eat,even after I click on the dining table. It;s so annoying! They alos take FOREVER to eat...Sims ate quikcly in Sims 1 and 2,so why do they have to take about 30-60 minutes to eat a meal? I want my Sims to eat,not take pcitures of food or look around and stare at random stuff for 15 minutes.PLease fix this,EA!

The problem is that they want to mulitask even when they shouldn’t.

Also apparently some people complained that they ate too fast in ts3 because it made family dinners impossible. And when they tune something like this they go to extremes. Like people complained that their sims were constantly being abducted/impregnated so they dramatically lowered the abduction/pregnancy rate.
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Hate this and does seem like it would not be that hard to fix or improve. I have found though that when I first start a game - they will usually eat at the table and there is also not that constantly getting glasses of water or other drinks from the refrigerator or sink. It is only after I have been playing the save for some times that this gets much worse and even with the table set - they will go up several flights of stairs to sit on a bed to eat. They will even sit on their sleeping toddler to eat! The getting drinks increases a lot after a while too. Not sure why it gets worse the longer I play the save but that is what I have noticed.
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited March 2019
    It is even worse if you have pets in your household , as soon as they sit to eat they insist on getting up to pet or make a fuss of any cat or dog they can
    Combine this with
    1 how long it takes to actually make the meal in the first place
    2 your sims always wanting to stand around and stare into space

and you end up with meals that can take up all morning / afternoon / or evening to prepare and eat

By which time they then eat slower because their hunger bar is in the red

I have honestly had it take them 2 sim hours to make an omelette and another 3 hours or more to actually eat it , Talk about overcooked , the eggs must be like rubber by the time they have made the omelette
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    This has been annoying me since Day 1. It's insanely hard to have your sims just sit together in the kitchen for a family/group meal, and parents coming home late at night have a bad habit of sitting on their sleeping kids' beds to eat.

On that note, ever notice how, even when the bookshelf is right there in your sim's bedroom, they have a way of wandering into another room to read? You've got a comfy bed, a chair, and a desk chair to sit at, and here you go trudging all the way to the kitchen or the living room...Oh! and journal writing is the worst! They always run to the kitchen table for some reason! They have a desk, they have a bed, but they insist on the kitchen table!

...Seating AI in this game in general is just...wonky.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Yes agreed - this really does need to get fixed. I just don't make my Sims eat that much if I want them to do something else.....I use UI cheats and drag the hunger bar up. It takes too long to get through a meal. & if everyone would sit down, I'd probably be happy, but they're up and they're hugging and then it's musical chairs. I'm ready to scream by this time. So I just removed eating from my Sims routine unless there's nothing going on and I'm in the mood to tolerate the madness
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    on this i pretty much agree on that
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »

I'm having a similar issue with Sims refusing to put books back in the bookshelf. They put the book on the dining table or desk (and sit down at the table or desk). Even if I cancel the 'read' action and tell them to 'clean up books', they have to sit down with the book at the table before taking it to the bookshelf. It's the sitting down part that's annoying - if they just left it on the table, it wouldn't take so much time. I have to stop my Sim reading a good 15 minutes before bedtime or work. I assume it got bugged with one of the recent patches.

They're also playing a bit more musical chairs lately - I always tell them where to sit when they eat, but lately, they think they're Goldilocks - they have to try the other chair and the toddler chair before sitting in the chair that's just right.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Yes...these routing issues are so old it's awful. The only way I can get my sims to do the queue I give them is to turn autonomy off. They also will go out of their way passed kitchen sinks to wash dishes in the bathroom sink.

Sims cannot sit. They always get up and find other things to do. People dont carry around dinner plates with food on them doing chores and other things around the house. They need to fix eating.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Let's not forget that sims are also still using bathroom sinks to wash the dishes. I thought the game searched for sinks further away from the toilet or nearer a fridge/stove. It's so annoying.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • KeturahKittyKeturahKitty Posts: 22 Member
    Mine like to stand in front of the fridge and block anyone else from getting leftovers. Speaking of leftovers, that too, is a mess.
  • KeturahKittyKeturahKitty Posts: 22 Member
    There are a ton of autonomy issues in this version and the more I play, the more frustrated I get with the game. Do you think they'll get around to fixing it?
  • g1raff3sg1raff3s Posts: 38 Member
    My sims tend to go where other sims are. For example, if one of my sims is still sleeping - the one eating will go sit on the bed or go into the room and stand. I've also noticed that in general, they take twice as long to eat a meal even if they sit down by themselves at the actual dining table (which is a rare occurrence).
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    another major problem in the game do not know if other players notice this if a sim has cook a family meal or recently cook for the family to eat if hungry and hired a maid has anyone notice the maid putting in the fridge the freshly cook meal?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • SunStone02SunStone02 Posts: 107 Member
    My sim never ate on the floor before... Could it be a bug?
    ~SunStone~ <3
    A Sims 4 player and fan!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited March 2019
    I don't have any problems with this. I just get a member of the family to set the table before meals, call for them to come and eat and they all sit round the table. Simple. It does help if you divert the family's attention to other things than the fridge whilst cooking meals. You can also use the command Sit together in dining out. No problem for me.

I do have all the packs with no mods though, so your experience may be different.
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    I just don't like how they get up to hug each other when I make them talk during dinner, especially when it's a family with kids and all. I swear, this problem only started happening to me recently and I wish it would STOP.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]