Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    HannaZoja wrote: »
    Well, imho Sims 4 is MEANT to feel incomplete. If it felt complete you could not sell stuff. The concept of the game is that it feels incomplete, so we buy the next EP and GP and it gets a bit better, but of course, something else is not complete. And, of course, everything comes in packs, so you have to buy a complete pack just in order to get one feature of the pack. It is a cash cow. Yes, I am guilty of keeping that system running, Id I am buying all new EP and GP, but I am not happy. (OT, dear Maxis: I love Sims 3 so much that I last year I bought a high end Alienware Gaming PC so that I am now playing it without loading times. Users ARE willing to spend a lot of money on quality game play, especially users who liked building and world building.)

@HannaZoja I disagree. Obviously the base game won't be fully complete upon release, but it should be at a state where it feels enjoyable on it's own, yet still has the potential to grow and become an even better experience. You can definitely sell packs with "complete" base game. You can get new traits, new jobs, pets, new activities, new worlds, new clothes, etc.

It certainly should not feel intentionally incomplete, especially after 5 years.

But it does. It's supposed to be simulating life, and if we look at it with that lense, how are groups who can all do the same thing as the other (like syncronized swimming) simulate life? I don't think that represents life at all. Life to me isn't a bowl of cherries. And modern day life, still has home phones, cars, airplanes, farming, chemistry attractions, theme parks, disputes, deaths, diseases, chaos, disasters, demotions, firings, fire patrol, cops, armies, rescue squads, run aways, fits, fears, more than one emotion or trait, growth in changing minds, or growth in seeing where the other person is right, and so and so on. TS4 doesn't quite represent any of that just because we can syncronize cooking or send them to a syncronized dance contest. There is hardly anything in this game that screams life at all in my opinion. It's more TS4 the dress up game.

Movies, Books, and tv shows has been doing that for decades - it's nothing new. It's what makes for the most successful stories - look at Harry Potter, Twilight, or even long term tv like Supernatural etc - because no one wants the stories to end - they want more on that story - no new stories. Series is what the modern people clamour for and what they teach students in Creative writing classes.

Look at Star Wars - years later they picked up where they left off - as well as gave earlier stories new life, now they have individual stories - all based of the first main characters. What's more they sell better than they ever did. It is what is successful.

TV is full of it - rebooting the old stories - new movies are really old movies brought back. That is indeed what people spend money on and want to buy.

Super hero comic books - some older than I am - and believe me I am old - are now the big sellers. So yes - todays' society proves tri-fold this is exactly what the public wants. EA is listening to the public. Now a days new is rejected and fails at the movies and books - even on tv - bringing back more of the stories people want instead of new is the way to go. Look around you - it is everywhere and growing.

I don't think you got any of that right.

Comic books are in an all time low in what comes to sales, for both DC and Marvel. Take it as you wish but their SJW approach isn't helping them. What gives money is the comic book movies not the comics, in Marvel's case they are separate division's with different heads behind them. Manga on the other hand is rising where the comic books are failing at, most has much better writing and arcs.

I'd also like to point out that both Star Wars and Fantastic Beasts have had their heads cut off with both of their latest movies flopping way hard on the floor.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_beasts_the_crimes_of_grindelwald

And none of these are even reboots. But prequels or sequels. Not even going to mention the Ghost Busters Reebot. Things really aren't that straight forward as you think they are. If it ain't broken don't fix it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Well, imho Sims 4 is MEANT to feel incomplete. If it felt complete you could not sell stuff. The concept of the game is that it feels incomplete, so we buy the next EP and GP and it gets a bit better, but of course, something else is not complete. And, of course, everything comes in packs, so you have to buy a complete pack just in order to get one feature of the pack. It is a cash cow. Yes, I am guilty of keeping that system running, Id I am buying all new EP and GP, but I am not happy. (OT, dear Maxis: I love Sims 3 so much that I last year I bought a high end Alienware Gaming PC so that I am now playing it without loading times. Users ARE willing to spend a lot of money on quality game play, especially users who liked building and world building.)

@HannaZoja I disagree. Obviously the base game won't be fully complete upon release, but it should be at a state where it feels enjoyable on it's own, yet still has the potential to grow and become an even better experience. You can definitely sell packs with "complete" base game. You can get new traits, new jobs, pets, new activities, new worlds, new clothes, etc.

It certainly should not feel intentionally incomplete, especially after 5 years.

But it does. It's supposed to be simulating life, and if we look at it with that lense, how are groups who can all do the same thing as the other (like syncronized swimming) simulate life? I don't think that represents life at all. Life to me isn't a bowl of cherries. And modern day life, still has home phones, cars, airplanes, farming, chemistry attractions, theme parks, disputes, deaths, diseases, chaos, disasters, demotions, firings, fire patrol, cops, armies, rescue squads, run aways, fits, fears, more than one emotion or trait, growth in changing minds, or growth in seeing where the other person is right, and so and so on. TS4 doesn't quite represent any of that just because we can syncronize cooking or send them to a syncronized dance contest. There is hardly anything in this game that screams life at all in my opinion. It's more TS4 the dress up game.

Movies, Books, and tv shows has been doing that for decades - it's nothing new. It's what makes for the most successful stories - look at Harry Potter, Twilight, or even long term tv like Supernatural etc - because no one wants the stories to end - they want more on that story - no new stories. Series is what the modern people clamour for and what they teach students in Creative writing classes.

Look at Star Wars - years later they picked up where they left off - as well as gave earlier stories new life, now they have individual stories - all based of the first main characters. What's more they sell better than they ever did. It is what is successful.

TV is full of it - rebooting the old stories - new movies are really old movies brought back. That is indeed what people spend money on and want to buy.

Super hero comic books - some older than I am - and believe me I am old - are now the big sellers. So yes - todays' society proves tri-fold this is exactly what the public wants. EA is listening to the public. Now a days new is rejected and fails at the movies and books - even on tv - bringing back more of the stories people want instead of new is the way to go. Look around you - it is everywhere and growing.

Comic books are in an all time low in what comes to sales, for both DC and Marvel. Take it as you wish but their SJW approach isn't helping them. What gives money is the comic book movies not the comics, in Marvel's case they are separate division's with different heads behind them. Manga on the other hand is rising where the comic books are failing at, most has much better writing and arcs.

I'd also like to point out that both Star Wars and Fantastic Beasts have had their heads cut off with both of their latest movies flopping way hard on the floor.

And none of these are even reboots. But prequels or sequels. Not even going to mention the Ghost Busters Reebot. Things really aren't that straight forward as you think they are. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

That is what I said - the movies and tv shows - from all the old comics. Then making sequel after sequel on them. I know comic books are not a big deal - not even in the last 40 years - but the movies and tv show on now are from all those old comics - books, etc and even old tv shows. EXACTLY what I said. Did you not read where I wrote from comics older than I am.... how is that different than what you said?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2019

That is what I said - the movies and tv shows - from all the old comics. Then making sequel after sequel on them. I know comic books are not a big deal - not even in the last 40 years - but the movies and tv show on now are from all those old comics - books, etc and even old tv shows. EXACTLY what I said. Did you not read where I wrote from comics older than I am.... how is that different than what you said?

I thought you weren't refering to the movies in regards to comics sorry :/
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

I thought you weren't refering to the movies in regards to comics sorry :/

That's quite alright.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    The 3 more years are worth only if we get better personalities.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • angelicsamuraiangelicsamurai Posts: 41 Member
    I wouldn't really like Sims 5 to come around, Let's face it the graphics in sims 4 are pretty much ok, maybe some small tweaks could be done. But the sim is able to be run on low end spec PC's so you wouldn't have to either buy a new pc to play the new game.. There are plenty of ideas i could think of that could keep the sims 4 going for years...

A few things off the top of my head, spiral stairs, L and U shaped stair cases, Sliding patio doors, or a giant wall of window that can be opened to open up a room, Improve cooking so you'd have to cook stuff in pots and combine items, ovens that are integrated.. look at kitchens with the ovens at chest height...

Maybe Maxis should have a survey where we all get asked to write down 20 things we'd like to have included in a pack and take the most popular ideas and make a pack around it. Loads are asking for university, but i'd like content packs that just add items.. Even include new worlds for us to build in.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2019
    I don’t think the OP’s concerns are about graphics.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I wouldn't really like Sims 5 to come around, Let's face it the graphics in sims 4 are pretty much ok, maybe some small tweaks could be done. But the sim is able to be run on low end spec PC's so you wouldn't have to either buy a new pc to play the new game.. There are plenty of ideas i could think of that could keep the sims 4 going for years...

A few things off the top of my head, spiral stairs, L and U shaped stair cases, Sliding patio doors, or a giant wall of window that can be opened to open up a room, Improve cooking so you'd have to cook stuff in pots and combine items, ovens that are integrated.. look at kitchens with the ovens at chest height...

Maybe Maxis should have a survey where we all get asked to write down 20 things we'd like to have included in a pack and take the most popular ideas and make a pack around it. Loads are asking for university, but i'd like content packs that just add items.. Even include new worlds for us to build in.

All your talking points are old. Graphics aren't what sells a game - it's the gameplay which TS4 doesn't have too much of. Plus as much as EAxis tries to push its graphics as a selling point, there are plenty of people who hate its art style. And the more content they add to the game, the more laggy and buggy it is, ironically. So they took out a lot of features to make it run better on lower end specs but it ends up becoming buggy and laggy anyway? Awful.

The ideas you listed are what TS4 simmers have been begging for for the past four years. I don't know why EAxis has not made these items for TS4, even four years in - they wouldn't be too difficult to do as they have been done before in the past iterations. Maybe the game engine TS4 is built on can't handle these things??? And if not, why make simmers wait so long?

Also if you look at past posts on this forum, EAxis has often done surveys/polls and, for whatever reason, they still haven't given TS4 simmers what they essentially want.

TS4 has about 2.5 years left though, so hopefully they'll finally give simmers what they actually ask for.

I myself am looking forward to TS5. I don't mind waiting for it as long as they do that iteration right, creating a game engine for it that is robust and capable of handling much more than TS4 or even previous iterations have. I was going to buy a new computer this year, but I'm waiting until they announce the specs for TS5 and then buy something much more powerful for it to account for all its future packs.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    In my honest opinion is this...No we don't need another three years of the sims 4...but guess what? We are getting it regardless...

But consumers do realize they have the upper hand, right? If enough people stopped supporting mediocre then it would cease to exist and only the best would exist because that would be the only thing making money. But as long as consumers support poorly made games and ill business practices, well, those game companies are going to take advantage of those and nothing ever changes.

Consumers: 0

Game Company with lack of integrity: 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2019
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    In my honest opinion is this...No we don't need another three years of the sims 4...but guess what? We are getting it regardless...

But consumers do realize they have the upper hand, right? If enough people stopped supporting mediocre then it would cease to exist and only the best would exist because that would be the only thing making money. But as long as consumers support poorly made games and ill business practices, well, those game companies are going to take advantage of those and nothing ever changes.

No we don't. I haven't spent any money since Parenthood (whenever that was) and it didn't change a thing for me to stop buying. There are still bugs, and more bugs, and more bugs, and more silly packs I don't care about. It didn't work.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,648 Member
    edited March 2019

No we don't. I haven't spent any money since Parenthood (whenever that was) and it didn't change a thing for me to stop buying. There are still bugs, and more bugs, and more bugs, and more silly packs I don't care about. It didn't work.

The key part of what @Deshong04 said, in my opinion, was "if enough people stopped supporting mediocre". The problem, as I see it, is that not enough people have stopped buying mediocre. I believe there are still too many people buying mediocre. I've seen a lot of simmers post that they actually like TS4 and want to see it continue indefinitely. Leaves me shaking my head in wonder and amazement. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member

The key part of what @Deshong04 said, in my opinion, was "if enough people stopped supporting mediocre". The problem, as I see it, is that not enough people have stopped buying mediocre. I believe there are still too many people buying mediocre. I've seen a lot of simmers post that they actually like TS4 and want to see it continue indefinitely. Leaves me shaking my head in wonder and amazement. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Perhaps the issue lies in that not everyone sees the product as mediocre? Maybe some enjoy the art style, others might enjoy the socialization aspect, others might prefer the way they've approached some life states like vampire's depth, there's just too many variables. People could find a product worth their money if it meets what they value for their entertainment. There's absolutely nothing to be amazed about that.

So perhaps the issue here is that not everyone perceives the product the way you or someone else might. This is IMO a bigger issue, and it's not new to the series. I saw a lot of the same "oh you like and buy this game? you must like subpar quality" with TS3 by those who just had a deep love for TS2 and hated the way TS3 turned out to be. And it's like, hm, ok, I may value open world more than quirky sims perhaps? It's like I'm seeing a replay of the same.
    Archieonic wrote: »

Perhaps the issue lies in that not everyone sees the product as mediocre? Maybe some enjoy the art style, others might enjoy the socialization aspect, others might prefer the way they've approached some life states like vampire's depth, there's just too many variables. People could find a product worth their money if it meets what they value for their entertainment. There's absolutely nothing to be amazed about that.

So perhaps the issue here is that not everyone perceives the product the way you or someone else might. This is IMO a bigger issue, and it's not new to the series. I saw a lot of the same "oh you like and buy this game? you must like subpar quality" with TS3 by those who just had a deep love for TS2 and hated the way TS3 turned out to be. And it's like, hm, ok, I may value open world more than quirky sims perhaps? It's like I'm seeing a replay of the same.

How long has it been since they released Vampires? that's the last pack I saw that was worth my money in my opinion. It sometimes feels like a few years, and it might be. :/
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member

How long has it been since they released Vampires? that's the last pack I saw that was worth my money in my opinion. It sometimes feels like a few years, and it might be. :/

Just passed 2 years since release.

I personally don't find it was the last pack worth my money (Get Famous was the first "celebrity" DLC where I wasn't nauseated by how celebrity status was a disease that spread uncontrollably and made it much more involved along with the blogger lifestyle. Then again things like how we can't ban celebrities from certain lots via a trait makes some encounters annoying, hence modded the hell out of that).

But Vampires was a questionable pack for me to be honest. I saw it first and thought "Erm, ok, so one whole GP for one single life state. So that's gonna be, what, maybe 3-4 GPs for each life state? Chopping up content." But in execution I was delighted with how in-depth it was as opposed to "Get turned, have instant access to a few interactions. Yay". It's a gray line for me on that one. If the same style will be applied to other life states, I'm enticed. Clearly to me Vampires are on a whole other level compared to, say ghosts, aliens and plantsims (ugh, plantsims, this one is worth crying about.)
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

There are plenty of mediocre products out there that beat superior competition all the time. Why? Because they have more marketing power and a more aggressive sales force. Plus people are stupid. That can only explain why some channels on YouTube are so popular.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited March 2019
    I think Vampires was a wonderfully done pack. However I still haven't done the aspiration completely or even have had a vampire advance very much. I play the pack shallowly with the vampires themselves. I'm sure one day I'll be inspired to play it out more deeply I need another push though ... maybe something that comes with other supernatural packs, or other antique stuff to back it up since I like vampires of old and not new-fangled ones. (Yes I know this pack can and does support that but I'm not inspired enough to do it yet). I do use the heck out of the build/buy. Norman Bates, The Adams Family and The Munsters .. who have places in different saves depending have gotten great use out of the the Forgotten Hollow. I have other characters too in some stages of completion with their stories, but they are waiting on something to advance and I'm not sure what it is.
    I've been able to have houses that I wouldn't have been able to have otherwise through that pack though. I've played vampire killers and that was pretty darn fun also... although I needed a mod to make it juicy enough, and I'm not complaining about needing a mod especially when I'd never see certain things in the game.. ever, that would make it that juicy. I basically have a giant stuff pack though in the vamp pack right now and it was still worth it for me to get it.
    For the recent pack -Strangerville- I'm in and playing every chance I get, way too much to be healthy even. The themes speak to me and I have enough either through the base game and packs I do have in addition to this to play them out with much satisfaction. I know also how I'm going to add these elements to other saves I have. (I play themed saves... as in Hannibal isn't in the Stardew Valley save). I have ideas on ideas, it's basically overwhelming but fun. They gave me a niche I needed .. that I think is just as popular as Vampires generally, if not within the simming community, but only because we've never had it to start thinking of it as a standard.
    I'm glad they did Vamps the way they did though.. because to me that means when Witches come ... which is a very popular life state, I have no doubt they will be good. I'll be getting people angry all over again by exclaiming "It's the best thing eva!" and enjoying every minute of it.
    I do think these are the best Vampires ever that we have in this series .. I've played with the concepts longer than in the past games at least. Same with toddlers and aliens and ghosts for that matter.
    egTcBMc.png
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,648 Member
    I also really liked how TS4 did the vampire pack. Very well done imo. One criticism I have is how they left out all the other supernaturals. Which leaves me with the question: Is this the best they can do? They only have the time and budget to do one aspect really well, while leaving other things untouched? I really feel for the simmers whose favorite supernatural is a witch, fairy, werewolf, etc. and got left out. Not to mention, we only got a neighborhood and not an entire town. Supernaturals should be an EP imo.

My only other criticism is how buggy the pack was when it was released. I had learned by then to not get a pack when it first comes out. So I got it months later on sale and after most of the bugs were worked out. I still feel for those who got it when it was really buggy though. And I especially feel for those simmers who love witches, fairies, etc and got completely left out in the cold.

I hope that TS5 is more inclusive as opposed to being exclusive and narrowly focused.
  • angelicsamuraiangelicsamurai Posts: 41 Member
    > @luvdasims55 said:

> My only other criticism is how buggy the pack was when it was released. I had learned by then to not get a pack when it first comes out. So I got it months later on sale and after most of the bugs were worked out.

I prefer to wait and get the bundles that come out, so i get a game pack, and 2 stuff packs for roughly the price of a game pack, even buying off of these key sites that have come out have made it cheaper to get aswell, I've recently brought a bundle with jungle adventure, fitness stuff and toddler stuff for £15, jungle adventure on it's own would have cost me £18...

I'm just waiting for strangeville to be bundled with laundry day and more pet stuff as these 3 are all i need to be up to date with everything.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I love Sims 3, obviously in a subjective way. At the same time I’m fully aware also that game does some things quite mediocre or poorly even in relation to its predecessor (or sometimes not even in comparison, like the way they handled routing in the open world) Sims 4 objectively does some things right, but at the same time they’ve sacrificed aspects or made choices that has harmed its overall quality. And the fact a player (any player) will mind about one factor more than the other doesn’t mean that factor doesn’t matter in general. The fact that I don’t care about retail in my game doesn’t make retail in Sims 3 just fine. All it means is that it doesn’t affect me personally. There are plenty of examples where one can say: “Yes, this was just not very well done” (like you can also say “and this wás”). There’s personal preference but there’s also letting a company get away with decisions they really shouldn’t get away with. And I think the only reason they did/do get away with it, is the monopoly position of the franchise. It saddens me we’re at a stage now where fans are starting to blame each other and yes, that goes two ways.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited March 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I love Sims 3, obviously in a subjective way. At the same time I’m fully aware also that game does some things quite mediocre or poorly even in relation to its predecessor (or sometimes not even in comparison, like the way they handled routing in the open world) Sims 4 objectively does some things right, but at the same time they’ve sacrificed aspects or made choices that has harmed its overall quality. And the fact a player (any player) will mind about one factor more than the other doesn’t mean that factor doesn’t matter in general. The fact that I don’t care about retail in my game doesn’t make retail in Sims 3 just fine. All it means is that it doesn’t affect me personally. There are plenty of examples where one can say: “Yes, this was just not very well done” (like you can also say “and this wás”). There’s personal preference but there’s also letting a company get away with decisions they really shouldn’t get away with. And I think the only reason they did/do get away with it, is the monopoly position of the franchise. It saddens me we’re at a stage now where fans are starting to blame each other and yes, that goes two ways.

This is right here is the biggest reason why I've decided not to care anymore and just play what I like and stop buying what I don't. I feel like since this franchise is a monopoly and it will continue to cycle the way it does I doubt any change will happen. So why should I keep shouting till I'm blue in the face if there's a minority of us who see through their plum? It just seems like the more we speak out, whether we like the game or not, the more we separate ourselves even when we all have a common idealism. We all LOVE and have a strong passion for this franchise. I just see like at the end of it all Eaxis has won. And they will continue to win because we're all stuck in an endless cycle. And maybe just maybe if there were some threat of a competition things will change but until then. This will continue until we see the end of the franchise. And no matter how bad it gets to some of us or how bad they strip the game in the next iterations, if they continue to make more, there will always be someone who finds worth is the smallest thing.

ETA: I personally feel like, if it ended tomorrow or if this is the last of the sims franchise, I can let go of the franchise and move on to something else. I'm tired. Very tired of being seen as another dollar and not a consumer/customer anymore.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I think Vampires was a wonderfully done pack. However I still haven't done the aspiration completely or even have had a vampire advance very much. I play the pack shallowly with the vampires themselves. I'm sure one day I'll be inspired to play it out more deeply I need another push though ... maybe something that comes with other supernatural packs, or other antique stuff to back it up since I like vampires of old and not new-fangled ones. (Yes I know this pack can and does support that but I'm not inspired enough to do it yet). I do use the heck out of the build/buy. Norman Bates, The Adams Family and The Munsters .. who have places in different saves depending have gotten great use out of the the Forgotten Hollow. I have other characters too in some stages of completion with their stories, but they are waiting on something to advance and I'm not sure what it is.
    I've been able to have houses that I wouldn't have been able to have otherwise through that pack though. I've played vampire killers and that was pretty darn fun also... although I needed a mod to make it juicy enough, and I'm not complaining about needing a mod especially when I'd never see certain things in the game.. ever, that would make it that juicy. I basically have a giant stuff pack though in the vamp pack right now and it was still worth it for me to get it.
    For the recent pack -Strangerville- I'm in and playing every chance I get, way too much to be healthy even. The themes speak to me and I have enough either through the base game and packs I do have in addition to this to play them out with much satisfaction. I know also how I'm going to add these elements to other saves I have. (I play themed saves... as in Hannibal isn't in the Stardew Valley save). I have ideas on ideas, it's basically overwhelming but fun. They gave me a niche I needed .. that I think is just as popular as Vampires generally, if not within the simming community, but only because we've never had it to start thinking of it as a standard.
    I'm glad they did Vamps the way they did though.. because to me that means when Witches come ... which is a very popular life state, I have no doubt they will be good. I'll be getting people angry all over again by exclaiming "It's the best thing eva!" and enjoying every minute of it.
    I do think these are the best Vampires ever that we have in this series .. I've played with the concepts longer than in the past games at least. Same with toddlers and aliens and ghosts for that matter.

As long as I did play TS4 through Parenthood, I have never finished an Aspiraton in this game, not one. It's not how I play and I'm not a fan of check lists and hand holding in the Aspirations not even for vampires. I don't like the game telling me how to play. I just want the broad depth the older games had that will not limit my imagination, but alas, that hasn't been true for TS4. I'm not a fan of moodlet systems nor buff systems in a life simulator (TS3) however, it didn't limit my imagination as much as TS4 did, with unedible lots, hand holding instructions, useless hidden worlds, locked clothes and content behind more chore lists etc. I'm amazed I even lasted as long as I did and got around some things (even without cheating to open up gameplay) but at some point if we go more in that direction I have to say enough is enough. It's Frozen all over again...I'll be singing Let it Go.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited March 2019

Is that so?

The probable reality is consumers either support ill business practices and poorly made games or just let it die. That's the ultimatum. Sometimes a game company will admit their wrong and correct it but that's not always the case nor even a common choice because if so the game industry overall wouldn't be the way it is now. As I've said before, I would rather let The Sims die than support anything that is less than spectacular that just ruins the whole franchise.

BTW, it was clear as day exactly what TS4 was all about and I never fell for any of it and this was even before it released. Apparently, the majority saw straight through it as well for a certain someone to make a certain comment about the future. But not only that, how TS4 was handled also showed their lack of confidence. Not to mention it was never announced TS4 outsold TS3 and/or TS2 during its 7 or 10 days of release...because it didn't. There was an overwhelming amount of negative feedback from what I saw. Not all consumers are gullible, thankfully, and are usually the ones who strive to keep pushing for quality and integrity in the gaming industry. We are in a time where word of mouth gets around so much easier and quicker thanks to the internet.

Also, for a change to happen it needs to be "GAMER'S UNITED" in order to stand against issues that plague, unfortunately, the gaming industry. Because as long as there are enough supporting whatever ill business practices then that practice will continue because that's what some/most game companies do. Because consumers, as a whole, allow it. I'll copy and paste what I wrote elsewhere.

"There are some who support ill business practices and poor quality games but that's not me. On the other hand, there are some who support good business practices and excellent quality games that sometimes goes beyond the expectations of fans. Those who support all the bad stuff will get exactly what they deserve in their gaming. Those who support all the good stuff will get exactly what they deserve in their gaming. Fair enough. The only unfortunate part is some franchises no longer live up to its expectation, quality, popularity/success, etc and something once loved becomes ruined because of greed and lack of integrity. Business-Minded vs Business and Consumer-Minded."

===

Correct.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    edited March 2019

Is that so?

The probable reality is consumers either support ill business practices and poorly made games or just let it die. That's the ultimatum. Sometimes a game company will admit their wrong and correct it but that's not always the case nor even a common choice because if so the game industry overall wouldn't be the way it is now. As I've said before, I would rather let The Sims die than support anything that is less than spectacular that just ruins the whole franchise.

BTW, it was clear as day exactly what TS4 was all about and I never fell for any of it and this was even before it released. Apparently, the majority saw straight through it as well for a certain someone to make a certain comment about the future. But not only that, how TS4 was handled also showed their lack of confidence. Not to mention it was never announced TS4 outsold TS3 and/or TS2 during its 7 or 10 days of release...because it didn't. There was an overwhelming amount of negative feedback from what I saw. Not all consumers are gullible, thankfully, and are usually the ones who strive to keep pushing for quality and integrity in the gaming industry. We are in a time where word of mouth gets around so much easier and quicker thanks to the internet.

Also, for a change to happen it needs to be "GAMER'S UNITED" in order to stand against issues that plague, unfortunately, the gaming industry. Because as long as there are enough supporting whatever ill business practices then that practice will continue because that's what some/most game companies do. Because consumers, as a whole, allow it. I'll copy and paste what I wrote elsewhere.

"There are some who support ill business practices and poor quality games but that's not me. On the other hand, there are some who support good business practices and excellent quality games that sometimes goes beyond the expectations of fans. Those who support all the bad stuff will get exactly what they deserve in their gaming. Those who support all the good stuff will get exactly what they deserve in their gaming. Fair enough. The only unfortunate part is some franchises no longer live up to its expectation, quality, popularity/success, etc and something once loved becomes ruined because of greed and lack of integrity. Business-Minded vs Business and Consumer-Minded."

===

Correct.

Look, there are thousands of people who like TS4. I like some of TS4, I liked some packs. Andrew Wilson announced in one of the meetings with stock holders the TS4 had just reacehed it's one billion dollar mark. There is someone who thinks he meant the entire franchise, but it seems he meant the TS4 when statements were corrected out here on the internet. I stop buying when bugs ruin gameplay. I stop buying when nothing else interest me. I didn't like all of TS2, I didn't like M&G or K&B nor did I love Free Time. Especially when aspiration rewards were no longer objects but just buff you could buy. I didn't like all of TS3, especially at first when there weren't any open communities lots other than the library and the museum. Had to wait to LN to get some open lots to visit. My Sims don't give a hoot about a gym, library or museum. So, yeah, I quit when they announced WA until they announced LN. And I didn't buy all EPs or packs or store stuff for TS3. I try to stay informed if I don't like the direction or the price, or the loooong bug lists then I avoid. But it seems with TS4 since it has sold over one billion dollars of products then my few dollars would never make a difference anyway. (And I won't install mods to fix developer mistakes).
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    edited March 2019
    If the game was consistently bad for everyone - then perhaps you'd have gotten somewhere - but my experience with real people I know who plays this game - that is not a factor and just like me - we all have few - if any problems with the game. On top of it the things many of my friends and family did have issues with - I also had issues with - and not surprising to us are the things the devs most usually fixed right away. Very few things I have seen, as have many of my 32 family members have also experienced were ever left unfixed but in a few cases were even emergency fixed right away in special patches from the devs. (Just clarify - Maxis is not 100 percent - but I do say most of the issues I have seen in this game have been fixed. I have seen things fixed on my end that some players still complain of happening in their pcs - which makes me think part of their issues may be configurations of their pcs or perhaps power or speed. It is very possible as it happens in a lot of games and not just in the Sims.)

I know when my family members have Sims problems as I am always the go to person they always call when they have issues - believe me, it's a good thing I am a nightowl because over the 19 years of all the Sims games it has not been unusual for me to get 3 a.m. calls from some family over some craziness in their games they want me to help them fix or find a solution for. I will tell you point blank - as much as I adore the Sims 3 - for issues it had the most - but the difference was I could fix it myself - where as that is not possible when Sims 4 gets an issue - it takes the devs to do it because of how this game is made, no world build tools, and of course this unique game engine that does not take well to user changes. (It sometimes does not take well to dev changes either as look what happens when they try and add toggles to some things - like with the aliens - it would break saves - so they had to remove toggles and tried tuning them back - but instead of making them less they stopped abductions period. Obviously the engine programming is really sensitive and the engine itself may have not been the best one for this game - while it may have been great for an online game - it was possibly not really designed for this kind of game. I don't know for sure - it is only a deduction as info on this engine is very limited - unlike the majority of game engines.) So believe me Sims 4 does not have the serious issues for everyone, as I detest flaws and problems big time, and I would not be playing this game upwards of 10-12 hours a day if it was flawed as some make it out. Perhaps it's the computer some use, perhaps it is the configuration - I can't say other than it is not an equal issue for everyone like it has been in previous Sims games.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited March 2019
    If the game was consistently bad for everyone - then perhaps you'd have gotten somewhere - but my experience with real people I know who plays this game - that is not a factor and just like me - we all have few - if any problems with the game. On top of it the things many of my friends and family did have issues with - I also had issues with - and not surprising to us are the things the devs most usually fixed right away. Very few things I have seen, as have many of my 32 family members have also experienced were ever left unfixed but in a few cases were even emergency fixed right away in special patches from the devs.

I know when my family members have Sims problems as I am always the go to person they always call when they have issues - believe me, it's a good thing I am a nightowl because over the 19 years of all the Sims games it has not been unusual for me to get 3 a.m. calls from some family over some craziness in their games they want me to help them fix or find a solution for. I will tell you point blank - as much as I adore the Sims 3 - for issues it had the most - but the difference was I could fix it myself - where as that is not possible when Sims 4 gets an issue - it takes the devs to do it because of how this game is made, no world build tools, and of course this unique game engine that does not take well to user changes. So believe me Sims 4 does not have the serious issues for everyone as I detest flaws and problem and I would not be playing this game upwards of 10-12 hours a day if it was flawed as some make it out. Perhaps it the computer some use, perhaps it is the configuration - I can't say other than it is not an equal issue for everyone like it has been in previous Sims games.

It has just as many known bugs as any of the rest of them, and those lists are growing with each pack. But I'm one that expects excellence but however, others just install a mod to get around a problem or to fix something. I would never install the big mods in TS3 just to fix story progression nor to clean up cars or other things, that's the sort of hard nosed player I am, but still, it didn't get me TS2 bugs fixed nor TS3 bugs fixed nor would it get me TS4 bugs fixed. So, yes, I close my wallet.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top