Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 may not be as expensive as you think!

I know a lot of people say that The Sims 4 is expensive, BUT! Did you guys know that in 1990, the average Nintendo game cost around $50 in the US? If you take inflation into account, that would be more than $90 in today's money! :open_mouth:

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I’m not sure a game with twenty seven pieces of dlc should ever be praised for not being expensive.

And no before anyone comes at me, the sims 3 store was optional. You didn’t have to buy any of it and in many cases (mine) I got it all for free via EP registration and points.

Try playing sims 3 without stuff packs or game packs. You wouldn’t want to as the game would be boring. Right now the sims 4 without any sales is almost £500 and that figure will continue to rise.

And for what it’s worth I have games from previous generations. I found my sims 2 expansion that was 19.99, I have a sims 3 expansion with a 24.99 price tag on it.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I’m not sure a game with twenty seven pieces of dlc should ever be praised for not being expensive.

And no before anyone comes at me, the sims 3 store was optional. You didn’t have to buy any of it and in many cases (mine) I got it all for free via EP registration and points.

Try playing sims 3 without stuff packs or game packs. You wouldn’t want to as the game would be boring. Right now the sims 4 without any sales is almost £500 and that figure will continue to rise.

And for what it’s worth I have games from previous generations. I found my sims 2 expansion that was 19.99, I have a sims 3 expansion with a 24.99 price tag on it.

You don't have to buy any of the DLC. It's all optional, as well. Rather you find it boring or not without the packs, the fact remains all the DLC for Sims 4 is as optional as the Sims 3 store you deem as optional, as well.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    The sims series in general is an expensive hobby over time with all the packs.

But long as you got and still get value out of your purchase that's all that matters.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019

Sims 3 eps were 35.99 - 39.99 with most being 39.99 when the game was in development. They sometimes went on sale - just like all the other Sims eps did and do.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Sims 3 eps were 35.99 - 39.99 with most being 39.99 when the game was in development. They sometimes went on sale - just like all the other Sims eps did and do.

Not turning this into a separate discussion but we are in different countries with different currencies and I know what I paid and as I still have all my sims 3 discs many of which have the prices on- I know what I paid.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Eh, it’s a luxury pass time hobby if you will. Compared to other hobbies and pass time activities I enjoy, this is one of the cheapest.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Not turning this into a separate discussion but we are in different countries with different currencies and I know what I paid and as I still have all my sims 3 discs many of which have the prices on- I know what I paid.

Mine are all still listed in my account - I pre-ordered all Sims 3 packs and I know what EA asked for them. In the USA they were the price I stated unless the were on sale - but pre-orders are not usually on sale. I always pre-ordered up until Sims 4 where they stopped the pre-order bonus item. Then there was no point. I also have all my disks - but from EA there is no price on them.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    In general I don't think the game is expensive if you play it a lot. If you play each pack only for a couple hours it is of course costy, but most simmers getting packs will play frequently over time. If it's entertainment, compare to going to a movie theater. How many films can you see for the cost of a game pack? If ts4 is a lifestyle/hobby, compare to what any other hobby costs. It's only expensive if you buy a pack that you don't really like.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Chicherino wrote: »
    I know a lot of people say that The Sims 4 is expensive, BUT! Did you guys know that in 1990, the average Nintendo game cost around $50 in the US? If you take inflation into account, that would be more than $90 in today's money! :open_mouth:

And that came as a complete game. That you didn't have to buy in pieces over many years to come.
  • brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    It costs almost 20.00 US dollars to go to a movie theater, that is at the most 2 hours of entertainment then it's over. A Sims pack is 40.00 at the most and it gives hours/weeks/months/years of entertainment. Xbox live is 9.99 a month, most xbox one new releases are around 60.00..I think if we really sat and thought how many hours of enjoyment this game has given us, the price for this entertainment would be very small.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    brenleedee wrote: »
    It costs almost 20.00 US dollars to go to a movie theater, that is at the most 2 hours of entertainment then it's over. A Sims pack is 40.00 at the most and it gives hours/weeks/months/years of entertainment. Xbox live is 9.99 a month, most xbox one new releases are around 60.00..I think if we really sat and thought how many hours of enjoyment this game has given us, the price for this entertainment would be very small.

I have paid at least 300£. I've played for about 200 hours and due to live service I can no longer play it. I must have broken 1000 hours on both Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion and I can still fire both of these up. Value to entertainment ratio is highly subjective and for me the sheer amount of frustration that TS4 brought me over the years exceeds the enjoyment that I got out of it long ago. I'm happy that you're enjoying your purchase, but there's no denying that The Sims is an expensive series, only beaten by train simulator in expensiveness.
  • The_Tech_Guy153The_Tech_Guy153 Posts: 8 New Member
    [quote="Chicherino;d-956484"]I know a lot of people say that The Sims 4 is expensive, BUT! Did you guys know that in 1990, the average Nintendo game cost around $50 in the US? If you take inflation into account, that would be more than $90 in today's money! :open_mouth:[/quote]

That is interesting, I always have thought games have gotten more expensive (dlc not being considered). You do have a good point though.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    If you think about it, I may have spent about $400 on this game over the years, but I’ve played like 2200 hours, so I’ve gotten about four hours for every dollar spent or something.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I simply look at it this way:

My hubby and I used to go out to dinner and a movie once a week. It'd cost us anywhere from $30-50 for dinner and at least $30 for the movie (depending on if we got drinks and snacks or not) That's at least $60 a week or $240 a month for entertainment purposes.
    We find that we are happier staying home, making dinner, and settling in to play our favorite games. We still go out for dinner and a movie now and then (maybe once a month) but for us, spending $20-40 on my Sims games when one comes out every few months, and him spending 40-80 on whichever game he's interested in every few months still saves us $120 dollars a month at least. Much, much more on the months where neither of us has a game/game pack coming out to spend on.

TLDR: The Sims 4 can be quite affordable if you are willing to budget for them in place of other things.

I realize there are probably quite a few people who have less/more disposable income than my husband and I. I figure we are probably middle of the road there. Its just an example that works for us.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • The_Tech_Guy153The_Tech_Guy153 Posts: 8 New Member
    @duhboy2u2 honestly I think that is a really good way of looking at it, I could honestly probably say the same about my wife and I.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited March 2019

I've spent $595 $535 US dollars on my Sims 4 (official content, that's not counting what I've paid towards mods and CC to support my favorite modders and creators). Yeah, it's pricey, but that is over 4.5 years and I have put in, at minimum, 4707 hours (not counting my offline play).

That means, to date, I have paid around 12 11 cents an hour to enjoy my game. Well worth it, if you ask me. I don't want to know how much I've spent on coffee in the last 4.5 years and that only lasts as long as the cup stays warm.

(ETA: I forgot for a second that I didn't pay for my base game, I won my copy of it, though I did pay later for the digital deluxe upgrade. I have adjusted accordingly)>
    p8L4V6v.png
    @ChelleJo I agree, to me it is well worth it, and I don't find it expensive at all for a game. Most of the packs I have bought on sale, I still don't have them all but I have enough that my poor old computer can handle lol, I guess when you have a Teenager that is into gaming and you have to pay those high prices for new releases and a fee each month to have it "live" then my little games are a bargain ♥
    mirta000 wrote: »

I have paid at least 300£. I've played for about 200 hours and due to live service I can no longer play it. I must have broken 1000 hours on both Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion and I can still fire both of these up. Value to entertainment ratio is highly subjective and for me the sheer amount of frustration that TS4 brought me over the years exceeds the enjoyment that I got out of it long ago. I'm happy that you're enjoying your purchase, but there's no denying that The Sims is an expensive series, only beaten by train simulator in expensiveness.

I guess "expensive" is viewed very differently, I not only play but I build and it can take hours, sometimes a couple of days to do a build..so I have gotten my moneys worth and some, for the simple entertainment, and escape from everything the game can give. Your experience seems very different from mine, I've played 3,731 online hours, not including when I'm offline..so it's a bargain for me. I wish your experience would have been better.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I think the game is priced like every other game on the market. Most new games cost 60+ US dollars. Gaming in general is an expensive hobby rather you play the Sims or like my kid and play Fortnite.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Considering I spent thousands of hours across all the Sims titles I've played, I'd say they're a good investment for me :D
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2019
    Chicherino wrote: »
    Sims 4 doesn’t cost you $90 does it? Besides, it’s true computers and games were way more expensive in the early years, in comparison. That doesn’t make Sims 4 not so expensive.

Apart from the fact Sims 3 being expensive doesn’t make Sims 4 a cheap game. I’d rather say both games aren’t cheap, my gaming non simming son’s laughing at me for spending so much money on a game. Not that I care because it was worth every penny, no other hobby gave me so much joy for over nine years now, but that doesn’t mean it was a cheap game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

Packs are also optional, or you can wait and get them on sale. I include purchasing packs as part of my general entertainment budget. Being an old lady, I don't go out drinking or to clubs anymore, so the money I'm not spending on alcoholic drinks and cover charges can go support my Sims habit. And being partially disabled (mild mobility issues, but enough that I use a cane and don't really like to go out without my husband to give me a hand when necessary) I spend a lot of time at home, so having The Sims is entertainment, and a chance to have something in my control in a world that feels out of my hands at times. And my husband supports my Sims habit because it keeps me quiet and happy most of the time -- he's not interested in playing himself but he likes to hear about my Simming adventures. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's all subjective. I gladly gave Maxis $29.99 for EPs in TS2. I even spent $50 on ShowTime for TS3. However, I won't give Maxis the $40 for these EPs or $20 for their GPs. I have a few times, like with Vampires, or Dine Out...but no, don't expect me to pay $40 for a so called EP compared to gameplay, content and depth in the older games to the EP-lite in TS4.
  • LyvedaLyveda Posts: 14 New Member
    We use similar reasoning to @duhboy2u2. If I add up everything I've spent on the Sims 4, it does look like a lot of money, but it's often cheaper in comparison to other pastimes and other games when I calculate how much it's actually cost me per played hour.

Of course, whether it's worth it to you depends on your situation. It's worth it to me, personally, because I play it enough to justify the costs, and because my partner (who shares my interest in gaming) and I are able to set aside a budget for it.
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    I view all of my purchases as an investment. As far as I'm concerned, I've been playing The Sims for a very long time, I'm not stopping anytime soon and I get hours of entertainment out of it. I have some very expensive hobbies and I don't consider gaming one of them, Origin regularly have sales and you can get some great deals if you're patient. I don't personally feel the need to buy something as soon as it's released, I used to, but I stopped during the middle of the 3 era since I felt there was a decline in quality. Now I just wait, see if it's something I'd like, if so, I buy it at a later date along with any other Sims pack I like the look of. You'll never catch me buying My First Pet Stuff, not because I can't afford to, but because it's not something I want to invest in but I'm happy to buy anything I think looks good.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.