Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Strangerville = Waste of money.

Comments

• AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I agree with @hmae123 that it is really just an aspiration that is is more involved and has consequences, which I like - it beats workout everyday or paint everyday or write everyday over and over and over again. I had a lot of fun playing the story - I do think it could have been more involved and really wished the ending had been a little more sinister involving the MIB.
    Plus we did get a new career, a new town, some spying stuff, and some martial arts moves.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    It's a game pack. It implies there will be some gameplay in it. Which there was! Absolutely! It's obviously not an expansion, but for what it is, there's plenty of gameplay. And yeah, it does remind me of World Adventures.

But whether you like it is up to your personal taste. A lot of us are actually enjoying it.
    There's no need to force your opinion on everyone else. Personally, I don't really care for university.

Just let the team release something unusual once in a while, it's not hurting anyone.

I whole heartily agree. There have been too many times in the past people complained about stuff, and they listened and stopped doing it, thus ruining for the rest of us who did enjoy certain features. My problem was I just sat there and didn't say anything at the time, and now I really wished I had spoken up.

I think we need to speak up also if we enjoy it. The crusade to stop stuff like this needs to be met by people that enjoy it or it might not happen again. Of course sales tell a tale also. So it's wait and see. I want more like this and the regular packs that should be coming also.
    I've seen complaints lead to tweaking of the game that I personally didn't enjoy the results of. Often by people that don't even play this game but chime in to blast anything about it whenever they can. So yes tell them you like it if you like it! And be loud about it too.

Like when I loved Vampires and many just wanted it for the stuff but didn't want vampires in the game but bought it anyway?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It's a game pack. It implies there will be some gameplay in it. Which there was! Absolutely! It's obviously not an expansion, but for what it is, there's plenty of gameplay. And yeah, it does remind me of World Adventures.

But whether you like it is up to your personal taste. A lot of us are actually enjoying it.
    There's no need to force your opinion on everyone else. Personally, I don't really care for university.

Just let the team release something unusual once in a while, it's not hurting anyone.

I whole heartily agree. There have been too many times in the past people complained about stuff, and they listened and stopped doing it, thus ruining for the rest of us who did enjoy certain features. My problem was I just sat there and didn't say anything at the time, and now I really wished I had spoken up.

I think we need to speak up also if we enjoy it. The crusade to stop stuff like this needs to be met by people that enjoy it or it might not happen again. Of course sales tell a tale also. So it's wait and see. I want more like this and the regular packs that should be coming also.
    I've seen complaints lead to tweaking of the game that I personally didn't enjoy the results of. Often by people that don't even play this game but chime in to blast anything about it whenever they can. So yes tell them you like it if you like it! And be loud about it too.

Like when I loved Vampires and many just wanted it for the stuff but didn't want vampires in the game but bought it anyway?

Not getting what you are saying exactly and don't want to assume.
    egTcBMc.png
    Cinebar wrote: »

Not getting what you are saying exactly and don't want to assume.

I absolutely loved the Vampires pack. But there was a lot of backlash against them being in a pack and demands to get a toggle to change the pack. People wanted the pack for the clothes, build etc. but wanted the theme to not include vampires.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I very much would love a toggle off for vampires and I've said so repeatedly.. when it comes up. Thing is I don't find them super intrusive and have an avoidance tactic so even though I don't like things in the game at times I find work around for it.
    I doubt they will restructure this game for it.. they might. I do think they know options are very important for us. So maybe in the next game if not this one. I also wouldn't mind some gameplay separated from build/buy but it's probably a companies bread&butter that would cut into and they need to make money. I don't want it to become like what I understand the 3 store did. The prices there seemed outrageous so in comparison for me anyway I like the way it is in that regard.. lesser of two evils.
    egTcBMc.png
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    This pack would’ve been cooler if it included *proper* plantsims and the “mother” was a plantsim that could’ve been romanced and etc. kind of like pollination tech from Sims 2
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Skosalg wrote: »
    Many of us have no interest in cars or babies being separated from their cribs. Witches would be cool, but University is not something that I've been dreaming about.

I was a sceptic in regards to Strangerville, and it was kind of anticlimactic to be able to finish the mission fairly easy. But to my surprise, I still find the world and the sims in it, strangely appealing. The world still has a creepy and strange feel to it, and the surroundings are gorgeous. Not to mention the awsome sounds in the higher mountain area. The sims team is extremely good at adding cool and realistic sounds to their worlds, and those screams and strange sounds are perfect for the world.

I love the military career.

So please don't take for granted that everyone has the same opinion as you. What would you even do with cars? Just watch a sim get in to it and disappear? What would be the point? I like that there is no cars.

Cars will be more then that. Our sims will be able to makeout and woohoo in them.
  • SarahTheRedSarahTheRed Posts: 388 Member
    I'd pay full price just for the build/buy items and the new neighborhood alone. Once I'm done with the mission I'm just going to reno all the lots and use it as a new neighborhood for Sims to live in and run businesses in. I think both StrangerVille Plaza and Shady acres are gorgeous. I can see how if the mission gameplay was all you wanted to do, it would seem lacking. I love building with gritty stuff tho. so this pack is perfect for that.
  • midge719midge719 Posts: 222 Member
    edited March 2019
    I have bought the packs since release, I obviously bought this as its part of the set, however I have no interest in the mission, I would have liked spiral stairs or even sunken hot tubs like we had in sims 3 rather than this drivel, the only thing out the whole pack I like is the lava lamp even though there chunky as hell, I don't think I will use anything else, furthermore I wish EA would listen to the community on what they want instead of rushing out packs no one is really that bothered about. I will continue to buy packs as most of the time you need this pack or another pack for cc that the community has done, I do think it's expensive for what it is, guess we have to live with that.
  • HeyItsKoffeeHeyItsKoffee Posts: 99 Member
    I think it was really good, and a fun Pack for the sims, we havent had anything story driven in the sims 4 and i genuinely think that this game pack was a test so they could introduce story telling..
    i love the new world! its gorgeous.. and the items were different.. plus i'd pay £18 for a new world any day haha.
    Youtube @ ItsKoffeeh

Legacy Challenge
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    edited March 2019
    I consider the pack money well spent. It gave me several functional objects that fit my playstyle: Mother, obviously, but without touching the story the bizarre fruit make a great standin for Red Ice (a drug) in my Detroit save. The fruit's effects are the closest an unmodded sims game should ever get to drugs.
    The story itself, meh, it's shallow, nothing surprising or deep. You get out exactly what you put in.

Edit: Although I hate how sparring got shafted. The animations doesn't show a clear winner and the sparring machine uses fitness. But the lack of depth is a problem of Sims 4 in itself, not this pack specifically.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited March 2019
    To7m wrote: »
    Okay as wondering if you liked and spent time playing this game in particular. I do and Strangerville is my favorite pack. Simmers are different and like different things.
    I've played many many hours since release playing this pack in particular and about to go back in after a nap. I'm a shocking simmer. I like that.

Believe it or not I’ve probably put more hours into this game (plus all the others 1, 2 and 3) than most of the current sims 4 players and I don’t see what that has to do with how good a game is or not.

Also, how many times have I seen people say each new pack is their ‘favourite pack’ lol? I can guarantee that by the time the next pack rolls around you’ll be saying it again.

This pack has the replay value of 0. Once you’ve completed the story, that’s it. There is no need to play it again unless playing the same thing over and over is how you play. The world and career are fine, even the other items in the pack are ok but they really need to stay away from RPG, linear style play.

I’ve not seen one person ask for a pack like this. I really hope they do not make another. This is so random too, people are asking for witches, university, cars and they throw this out.

And then they have the audacity to say they listen.

Lol it actually makes me laugh

—T

You can guarantee what I'll say? Seriously. I haven't said that about every pack. This pack may very well be overshadowed for me by Witches that is true, but the rest depends.
    You actually make me laugh.

I was speaking in you general sense. Every pack that comes out has people chirping ‘oh its my favourite pack evah!!’ I can absolutely guarantee that will happen when the next pack rolls around. Watch and see for yourself.

I’m glad you find me funny at least you take something away from this, but I was talking about EA and their very impaired listening skills.

Regardless of what you or I like, this pack was a mistake. Majority rules and the majority didn’t ask for this. Some of it, yeah, but not the story mode. When I heard that I lost complete interest in any of it. I would’ve liked the world, laptops and stuff. But they’re not getting my money for this.

—T
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited March 2019

Regardless of what you or I like, this pack was a mistake. Majority rules and the majority didn’t ask for this. Some of it, yeah, but not the story mode. When I heard that I lost complete interest in any of it. I would’ve liked the world, laptops and stuff. But they’re not getting my money for this.

—T

It's not a democracy. We players get to say what we like and don't like here at the forums, but we don't get to vote for the theme and content of every pack. That only happened with the pack that ended up as Laundry Stuff. I'm sure the gurus use the forums to influence their decisions but they have no contractual obligation to include anything the players request. I'd like witches, university and various other things but I have no expectation that the developers are going to put something in just because it's popular among the fans. We can't assume anything, really. No doubt they use the sales figures of the various packs both past and present to influence their decisions, and the gurus appear to read at least some threads on the forum because we know they comment occasional, but ultimately the control is 100% in their hands, not in ours. EA are entirely within their rights to make a pack with an unpopular theme, just as we have the right not to purchase that pack if we don't care for it.

As far as Strangerville is concerned, there's things that interest me about the pack, and things that I'm less interested in. I'll most likely get it when it's on sale at some point, but I don't want it enough to pay full price. Ultimately, all any of us can do to influence the developers is buy things, or not, as it suits us. We get to vote with our wallets, that's as far as it goes.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SkosalgSkosalg Posts: 165 Member
    Okay as wondering if you liked and spent time playing this game in particular. I do and Strangerville is my favorite pack. Simmers are different and like different things.
    I've played many many hours since release playing this pack in particular and about to go back in after a nap. I'm a shocking simmer. I like that.

Believe it or not I’ve probably put more hours into this game (plus all the others 1, 2 and 3) than most of the current sims 4 players and I don’t see what that has to do with how good a game is or not.

Also, how many times have I seen people say each new pack is their ‘favourite pack’ lol? I can guarantee that by the time the next pack rolls around you’ll be saying it again.

This pack has the replay value of 0. Once you’ve completed the story, that’s it. There is no need to play it again unless playing the same thing over and over is how you play. The world and career are fine, even the other items in the pack are ok but they really need to stay away from RPG, linear style play.

I’ve not seen one person ask for a pack like this. I really hope they do not make another. This is so random too, people are asking for witches, university, cars and they throw this out.

—T

You can guarantee what I'll say? Seriously. I haven't said that about every pack. This pack may very well be overshadowed for me by Witches that is true, but the rest depends.

I was speaking in you general sense. Every pack that comes out has people chirping ‘oh its my favourite pack evah!!’ I can absolutely guarantee that will happen when the next pack rolls around. Watch and see for yourself.

I’m glad you find me funny at least you take something away from this, but I was talking about EA and their very impaired listening skills.

—T

So you are going to try to ruin the fun for the rest of us, but wont even try out the pack that you are so against? What majority are you speaking of? I think its more a case of bitter Bettys sitting in the forum complaining all day long, while the majority of us, that actually are happy about most of the content, are spending time playing the game and having fun.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member

—T

—T

So you are going to try to ruin the fun for the rest of us, but wont even try out the pack that you are so against? What majority are you speaking of? I think its more a case of bitter Bettys sitting in the forum complaining all day long, while the majority of us, that actually are happy about most of the content, are spending time playing the game and having fun.

I think that person may be gauging their “opinion” on what they see here on the boards. It’s faulty to say the majority because not one of us has real data to base that assumption on, one way or the other.

The name calling and classification of those that are voiceful about their dislike makes your argument/opinion lose credibility. It could also be argued that you wouldnt know of these so called “bitter Betty’s” if you were indeed just playing and enjoying, you wouldn’t have the time to read the bitter threads.

Most people who state their opinions, negative or positive, do so because they love the game not because they want to spend their time, all day for that matter, expressing it. Personally, I love the game and play it. I’m also hyper critical of it. Though I don’t post all too much.

Ultimately, if I like a pack I’ll say it, if I don’t I say it too. Followed by my reason. I will also try to understand other people’s reasoning without taking personal offense to it.

• QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I had a good time with the story. I’m definitely going to play it again with a sim in the military career or something. It also took me way longer than two hours to do because my sim had a career and needs and stuff.
  • HeyItsKoffeeHeyItsKoffee Posts: 99 Member
    I think the problem with a lot of people who ask for certain packs, and by all means i do not disagree for those asking, i have wants too, but, putting all my wants aside, It was nice to have a change in the sims, instead of the usual packs, it felt like a new experience for me, being a player a long time, all sims games felt the same, all the usual packs, those asking for the same packs also need to appreciate the fact that EA are trying to make our experiences different with the sims 4, Strangerville was unique, i was really thrilled with the game pack, once finished i admit i wont be playing the story again, but, i will be using the world the pack came with and a bunch of items too! the laptop being the most used.. obviously.
    Youtube @ ItsKoffeeh

Legacy Challenge
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Marnetti wrote: »
    This pack would’ve been cooler if it included *proper* plantsims and the “mother” was a plantsim that could’ve been romanced and etc. kind of like pollination tech from Sims 2

That would be utterly boring, though.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

—T

—T

...So you are saying he should not complain? Letting a company know why you don't buy their services is just as valid, and just as valuable for the company, as why you did.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Marnetti wrote: »

Oh I am so glad they didn't do it that way!
    I think the problem with a lot of people who ask for certain packs, and by all means i do not disagree for those asking,

Yeah... I will never understand those who feel Maxis OWES them a specific pack. Maxis / EA can just never release a Witches or University pack. It's fine. We have absolutely no right, whatsoever, to demand packs. We can WANT them, and encourage them, but no. Demanding, or arguing that Maxis "stole" a feature because they haven't released a certain pack, is absolute rubbish.
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    edited March 2019
    Cars will be more then that. Our sims will be able to makeout and woohoo in them.

The Sims 3 eventually added a fully functional (fixer-upper) car in Roaring Heights.
    You could:
    - Work on engine/body.
    - Rev engine and Wax car.
    - Hung out in car.
    - Cuddle and watch the stars.
    - Make out.
    - WooHoo & Try for a baby.
    - Turn radio on and off.
    Aditionally in The Sims 2 you could have an alarm installed.

Definitely cars can be fun if done right. Besides, it's a major element in our lives. A life sim doesn't feel quite right without cars (I remember even in The Sims 1 base game making all cars available in the game as deco objects. It was just weird for 9-year-old me to build a house and not have a car).
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    That's why I'm waiting for a sale. $10 for 2 hour of gameplay, a career, and new objects, wouldn't be too bad.
    A good game doesn't have to be defended with each drop of DLC. It either appeals or it doesn't. But the wrong signal is sent if people buy things they really don't want just to fill up the game.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    It was widely known before release that the pack is mostly mission and storyline based. You probably shouldn't have spent money on something you know you would hate.

I personally think it's fine. I got it for the other stuff, so the story's a bit of a bonus.

If they said they didn't like it and revealed they've never even played it, y'all would rip them to shreds.

I think it's only fair to give a pack a chance before you decide it's not for you and then you have all the rights to express your negative opinion.

I thought Get Famous wasn't something for me but I warmed up to it when I realized I can build a story with it that does NOT include celebrities in any way. Many players probably bought the game pack trying to see if they can utilize at least a little something in their gameplay without having to follow the script but I guess even with that it just falls short as a pack.

I feel like TS4 kind of taught the community to buy packs purely out of hope most of the time lol. So it's not exactly weird that someone buys a pack with a concept they don't find appealing in the first place and then complains... If you don't do that then you're really not getting anything with this iteration.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top