March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Strangerville = Waste of money.

DemyanoSlavDemyanoSlav Posts: 581 Member
I am shocked and amazed that some people claim to spend hours playing this game. Why?

The game is annoying as hell. I don't like 'mission' based gameplay when I'm trying to play a simulator.

The new career is fine, but I cannot think of anything else about this game that perks my interest.

Why the hell would EA spend time making this when they could have been focusing on what players actually ASKED for: Witches, university, cars, etc?

I am almost certain that Sims 5 won't happen, if more games like this are being made (hell, check out the reviews for this game pack. Bloody 2 stars? Generous) then it may as well be the Swan Song that the original Sims should have been.

Terrible.

Edited to remove inappropriate language~Rtas
Post edited by EA_Rtas on

Comments

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Do you play the base game and other packs regularly? Do you like it?
    egTcBMc.png
  • EmperorDittoEmperorDitto Posts: 128 Member
    But packs with new worlds and new deaths are great if you enjoy having your sims visit new places and having them killed in new ways.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I don't mind spending the money. It was only $20, so I'm cool with that. As for the whole linear gameplay, this reminds me of the older Sims 2 Life Stories, Castaway, etc adventures. I liked those, but they were side Sims games, not part of core life simulation gameplay. And like those, I'm enjoying StrangerVille, and the mystery at hand. But would I want to see this as something regular in the Sims 4?

Heck no!

The Sims has always been a life simulation game with the sandbox element. And it needs to stay just that. Anyone can play anyway that they want. And not have to worry about levels or goal to reach to unlock new things. Also, if I remember correctly, during the Maxis Monthly stream, I think it was @SimGuruKate who said that they sometimes work on side projects, while still working on the core features of the game. So nothing has been wasted or taken away from the main EPs, GPs, SPs.

And I really do hope that they are going to make a Sims 5. It just saddens me to think that the series would end with a game that - compared to the older ones - is much more watered down and "safe".
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    I really didn’t think of the storyline that was added to StrangerVille as all that different from any of the other aspirations. I just found it took the aspiration a little deeper by having the things you did affect the world around you. The aspirations have always been a linear checklist so I didn’t really expect StrangerVille to differ much from that format and don’t think they’ve really strayed too far from the game itself with pack.

Simmers all have their own ways of playing. I for instance use the aspirations as part of my storytelling, but follow them at my own pace and play a combo of linear/sandbox style. I found the GP very cell suited to how I like to play. I’m sorry it doesn’t fit your style of play, but that doesn’t mean the sky is falling. Chances are the next pack will be something you’ll like.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I haven't bought it yet because my main concern is after the storyline is done then what? Like is that it?
    I mean I know you can start over again, by resetting it with the Mother plant if you want, but I'm aware its the same storyline. so is it even worth the money?
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    so is it even worth the money?

In my opinion, it isn't. It's a glorified Stuff Pack with a world and a 2-hour linear story. It shouldn't cost more than $12-15.

I mean I can't give an honest answer, because I have had it since it came out and I have not even visited the town yet. The story is of 0 interest to me, and the town look utterly stereotypical and boring. I bought it for the build items. Ad to that that that the story doesn't fit my sims' story atm (I might do it with one of their kids, but they are not even having partners yet, so that will take several weeks, in real life time (I play on Long Lifespan, too).

I would never entertain the idea of starting over with a new game just for this pack. The only pack I did that with was Vampires.

Basically, for me, it was worth 20 dollars to get laptops, the sparring machine, and the military career.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,514 Member
    I do. I'm a fan of the series, which is why it really ticks me off when they do something stupid like add mission-based gameplay.

However, I favor Sims 3 a LOT more than Sims 4. The graphics may be outdated, but at least they didn't add a mission-based gameplay to it with low replay value. Sims 4 is my least favorite. Sims 3, then Sims 1, then Sims 2, and then Sims 4. I don't like having restrictions. There is no reason for this game to not be more open-worlded like Sims 3. The series has massively devolved, and I'm extremely worried about what Sims 5 would be like, assuming they make it, god forbid.
    *cough... World Adventures... cough*

I'm not a major fan of scripted gameplay myself, but it can be enjoyable in moderation. I have enjoyed the pack so far (mission not yet finished) and I think it is worth the money just for the new world and all the extra 'stuff'. To me, the mission was always going to just be an added bonus to play now and again.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,514 Member
    edited March 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Yeah World Adventures has missions but it's not a 2 hour play of a single linear story.

Do you know how much time it takes to go over every single place of every tomb in all three worlds? A looooooot of time. That EP was big, and it also added a lot of new skills to the game.
    Well, it was a full blown expansion pack, whereas this is a game pack. If this was an expansion pack I would be sorely disappointed.

I was just making the point that sims 3 did actually have mission-based gameplay in it, that's all. I am not in favour of a single linear story with no replay value, though I am enjoying it at the moment as a bit of fun in a smaller pack.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited March 2019
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    It's a game pack. It implies there will be some gameplay in it. Which there was! Absolutely! It's obviously not an expansion, but for what it is, there's plenty of gameplay. And yeah, it does remind me of World Adventures.

But whether you like it is up to your personal taste. A lot of us are actually enjoying it.
    There's no need to force your opinion on everyone else. Personally, I don't really care for university.

Just let the team release something unusual once in a while, it's not hurting anyone.

I whole heartily agree. There have been too many times in the past people complained about stuff, and they listened and stopped doing it, thus ruining for the rest of us who did enjoy certain features. My problem was I just sat there and didn't say anything at the time, and now I really wished I had spoken up.
  • Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    I strongly disagree - i personally don't see or think it as a waste of money
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    It's a game pack. It implies there will be some gameplay in it. Which there was! Absolutely! It's obviously not an expansion, but for what it is, there's plenty of gameplay. And yeah, it does remind me of World Adventures.

But whether you like it is up to your personal taste. A lot of us are actually enjoying it.
    There's no need to force your opinion on everyone else. Personally, I don't really care for university.

Just let the team release something unusual once in a while, it's not hurting anyone.

I whole heartily agree. There have been too many times in the past people complained about stuff, and they listened and stopped doing it, thus ruining for the rest of us who did enjoy certain features. My problem was I just sat there and didn't say anything at the time, and now I really wished I had spoken up.

I think we need to speak up also if we enjoy it. The crusade to stop stuff like this needs to be met by people that enjoy it or it might not happen again. Of course sales tell a tale also. So it's wait and see. I want more like this and the regular packs that should be coming also.
    I've seen complaints lead to tweaking of the game that I personally didn't enjoy the results of. Often by people that don't even play this game but chime in to blast anything about it whenever they can. So yes tell them you like it if you like it! And be loud about it too.
    egTcBMc.png
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Okay as wondering if you liked and spent time playing this game in particular. I do and Strangerville is my favorite pack. Simmers are different and like different things.
    I've played many many hours since release playing this pack in particular and about to go back in after a nap. I'm a shocking simmer. I like that.

Believe it or not I’ve probably put more hours into this game (plus all the others 1, 2 and 3) than most of the current sims 4 players and I don’t see what that has to do with how good a game is or not.

Also, how many times have I seen people say each new pack is their ‘favourite pack’ lol? I can guarantee that by the time the next pack rolls around you’ll be saying it again.

This pack has the replay value of 0. Once you’ve completed the story, that’s it. There is no need to play it again unless playing the same thing over and over is how you play. The world and career are fine, even the other items in the pack are ok but they really need to stay away from RPG, linear style play.

I’ve not seen one person ask for a pack like this. I really hope they do not make another. This is so random too, people are asking for witches, university, cars and they throw this out.

And then they have the audacity to say they listen.

Lol it actually makes me laugh

—T
    edited March 2019
    To7m wrote: »
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Okay as wondering if you liked and spent time playing this game in particular. I do and Strangerville is my favorite pack. Simmers are different and like different things.
    I've played many many hours since release playing this pack in particular and about to go back in after a nap. I'm a shocking simmer. I like that.

Believe it or not I’ve probably put more hours into this game (plus all the others 1, 2 and 3) than most of the current sims 4 players and I don’t see what that has to do with how good a game is or not.

Also, how many times have I seen people say each new pack is their ‘favourite pack’ lol? I can guarantee that by the time the next pack rolls around you’ll be saying it again.

This pack has the replay value of 0. Once you’ve completed the story, that’s it. There is no need to play it again unless playing the same thing over and over is how you play. The world and career are fine, even the other items in the pack are ok but they really need to stay away from RPG, linear style play.

I’ve not seen one person ask for a pack like this. I really hope they do not make another. This is so random too, people are asking for witches, university, cars and they throw this out.

And then they have the audacity to say they listen.

Lol it actually makes me laugh

—T

You can guarantee what I'll say? Seriously. I haven't said that about every pack. This pack may very well be overshadowed for me by Witches that is true, but the rest depends.
    You actually make me laugh.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 206 Member
    Totally agree with TS. Finished the mission in what, 2 hours? What now? Waste of time and money, AND NO NEW RACES (LIFESTATES) AGAIN! They could have made zombies instead of... this. The mechanics would be actually pretty similar.
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Actually once you do the story-line StrangerVille is completely open sandbox game play at least for the character who completes it. You set it to normal and unless you restart the mystery it stays that way. Remember all the complaints in Sims 3 about the tombs that never re-set once completed? Well they didn't do that this time.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I enjoyed it. We all have our tastes.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top