March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we have a honest word from EA on "Firemonkeys scandal"? Please?

JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
edited February 2019 in Off Topic Chat
The word is out through Kotaku:
https://kotaku.com/eas-australian-studio-hit-by-massive-layoffs-1832803802
EA's Australian Studio Hit By Massive Layoffs

One employee, who spoke under anonymity, said the current atmosphere is so grim that remaining staff are operating under the assumption the whole studio will eventually be shut down. “No idea how certain tasks will be done at all if I look at who got let go,” they said.
Unofficial figures on the size of the Australian games industry placed the number of staffers at Firemonkeys at close to 200. A statement this morning from Game Workers Unite Australia originally estimated that 80 to 100 staffers were impacted, but that has since been amended to “some 40 to 50 people”.
A representative from EA stressed that despite concerns, the Firemonkeys office will continue operating. “This is a group with great pedigree in live services, and they continue to work on some of our most popular mobile games.”
The company did reply with a statement, however, confirming that the studio “entered a consultation period” to shift focus towards “more on our live services”.
Does this mean Sims Freeplay and Sims Mobile are basically - as good as dead?

Comments

• LoganGilgrist530LoganGilgrist530 Posts: 1 New Member
    I doubt it means that they will die. The Sims Mobile just revived a massive update to CAS and while I don’t play the Sims Freeplay, it seems like t revives large updates pretty frequently. If anything, EA will just find a new studio to work on the games and maybe even create a team of their own.