Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SPOILERS/Picture-Heavy: StrangerVille is the first time I've been surprised by the Sims in 10 years

SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
TLDR? Check out my picture story below!

I haven't *played* TS4 in about a year (although I still open it almost everyday to take pictures and test new content/CC). I enjoy it, but it still has a lot missing/lacking for me to feel fully satisfied. The new packs have been a VAST improvement over the first ones, though - I will admit that.

When StrangerVille was announced I was completely taken-aback. I thought it looked super fun, but I didn't like that it was following a narrative and I would have preferred something like University. Having played it through, however, I have to say this is the first time in ten years of being a hardcore fan of the franchise that it has seriously surprised me. They have tried a few new things over the years, but this is the most radical - and it REALLY works.

I made a suggestion on the TS3 boards years ago about non-religious possession as a lifestate, never expecting it to come off, and look what we have here! It is something completely new and fresh for the Sims and it feels like it is coming at the exact right time. You get a full experience - from the shady agents in black suits, to the creepy 'possessed' Sims wandering about at night and the little trailer park and the man living in the plane wreck and the guy working the stand with the tin hat. It feels like a full other game inside the Sims. Are there negatives? Yes - but they're the base game's drawbacks, not exclusive to this pack. There's a lot of go here, do this, have a loading screen. But the story is so engaging you don't notice it (too much). I was pleasantly surprised by the new animations, like the 'bugging' during a hug etc. And the way the 'possessed Sims behave is actually quite startling!

Now, what about in terms of longevity? All things that follow too much of a linear in the Sims (open careers, adventures) get tiring after a while. But this feels so in-depth and well done that I can actually see myself enjoying playing through it again a couple of times (like I do with my PS4 RPGs). And there is lots of stuff that can be used outside of the story, just as ways to tell your own story - like the world, and the plane wreck house and the trailer park lot. Lucky Palms was my favourite world in TS3, so I'm glad to have it back!

Well done, Sims team. You impressed me with this pack. Here's hoping to seeing a healthy mix of the beloved and the fresh going forwards. B)

tumblr_pnk65mhdB21xvf163o1_1280.png

tumblr_pnk65mhdB21xvf163o2_1280.png

tumblr_pnk65mhdB21xvf163o3_1280.png

tumblr_pnk65mhdB21xvf163o4_1280.png

tumblr_pnk65mhdB21xvf163o5_1280.png

tumblr_pnk65mhdB21xvf163o8_r1_1280.png

tumblr_pnk65mhdB21xvf163o6_1280.png

tumblr_pnk65mhdB21xvf163o7_1280.png

tumblr_pnk67yc0Kv1xvf163o1_1280.png

tumblr_pnk67yc0Kv1xvf163o2_1280.png

tumblr_pnk67yc0Kv1xvf163o3_1280.png

tumblr_pnk67yc0Kv1xvf163o4_1280.png

tumblr_pnk67yc0Kv1xvf163o5_1280.png

tumblr_pnk69pk0cu1xvf163o1_1280.png

tumblr_pnk69pk0cu1xvf163o2_1280.png

tumblr_pnk69pk0cu1xvf163o3_1280.png

tumblr_pnk69pk0cu1xvf163o4_1280.png

tumblr_pnk69pk0cu1xvf163o5_1280.png

tumblr_pnk69pk0cu1xvf163o6_1280.png

tumblr_pnk69pk0cu1xvf163o7_1280.png

tumblr_pnk69pk0cu1xvf163o8_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6bqEzs31xvf163o1_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6bqEzs31xvf163o2_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6bqEzs31xvf163o3_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6bqEzs31xvf163o4_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6bqEzs31xvf163o5_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6bqEzs31xvf163o6_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6bqEzs31xvf163o7_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6esigCj1xvf163o1_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6esigCj1xvf163o2_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6esigCj1xvf163o3_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6esigCj1xvf163o4_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6esigCj1xvf163o5_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6esigCj1xvf163o6_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6esigCj1xvf163o7_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6esigCj1xvf163o8_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6g61B971xvf163o6_r1_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6g61B971xvf163o2_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6g61B971xvf163o3_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6g61B971xvf163o4_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6g61B971xvf163o5_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6hj1UNl1xvf163o1_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6hj1UNl1xvf163o2_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6hj1UNl1xvf163o3_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6hj1UNl1xvf163o4_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6hj1UNl1xvf163o5_1280.png

tumblr_pnk6hj1UNl1xvf163o6_1280.png
Post edited by Simanite on

Comments

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I loved reading this but glad you put spoiler in the title.
    I'm playing mine through basically narrarating to myself the way you do. Very tongue in cheek and funny to me. I've got some differences in my story. I've got Buzz Grunt as the main character .. although I stopped playing him for a little while to bring in a larger cast of characters. Anyway his wife is eating fruit like crazy and possessed left and right and they are still trying to make babies cause he needs boys to follow in his footsteps! He's putting bugs on her and spying on her in his spare time between work and his quest to save the world.... for now. I'm not at the end yet but spoilers never spoil stuff for me. I really enjoying the play through. I've got multiple situations of how to play it lined up already.. or just break time while the world is strange. I'm pretty sure after Buzz saves the world form me Loki Beaker will be ready to bring it down again!
    I want to use the fruit to make cults or as some sort of mind control for my more deviant scientists. The mods that will spring from this should be funny as heck also.
    Anyway glad you are back to enjoying it again for now. I haven't stopped but the themes here thrill me so much. They will add so much to my game whether I'm playing that story through or not.
    egTcBMc.png
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I couldn't help but laugh at your pics, I love your story and pics <3

Those spore things are flying around the world in my game. I scanned my house and had to clean that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 out of my sink. I thought to myself "oh no, what have you started". I should have moved more than a single sim to StrangerVille.

I am collecting the spores right now. Battery is low on scanner so can't do anything else yet.

I have no clue what I am doing.......I am sure my sim will die :D
  • randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    Great story you did...very entertaining. btw I saw that your sim used the bugs and listening device in your story...I cant figure out how to remove a bug that has been placed...do they just remain on the sim for the rest of their life? if anyone knows, how to remove them I sure like to know.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    @randy2355 the sim that placed the bug has to use the listening device to eavesdrop on the individual with the bug, once they do it gets removed. the sim will keep the bug on them until that sim uses the listening device on them, however long that takes so... do it as soon as you can, i suppose. (i basically have my sims plant about 5-6 bugs on different sims, run back home, listen, and repeat. been trying to see if there's anything fun with anything but the grim reaper and father winter, but nothing so far. tried aliens, vampires, half-aliens, infected and anything else i could think of. seems the only special ones are for grimmy, father winter, and the story-related roles of strangerville military, scientist, conspiracy theorist and 'oga'...the mib style secret agents)
  • randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    @randy2355 the sim that placed the bug has to use the listening device to eavesdrop on the individual with the bug, once they do it gets removed. the sim will keep the bug on them until that sim uses the listening device on them, however long that takes so... do it as soon as you can, i suppose. (i basically have my sims plant about 5-6 bugs on different sims, run back home, listen, and repeat. been trying to see if there's anything fun with anything but the grim reaper and father winter, but nothing so far. tried aliens, vampires, half-aliens, infected and anything else i could think of. seems the only special ones are for grimmy, father winter, and the story-related roles of strangerville military, scientist, conspiracy theorist and 'oga'...the mib style secret agents)

so what you are saying is, in order to get the bug off of Erwin Pries...I would have to figure out who put it on him...presumably one of the MIB or WIB....bring them in as a playable character.. and have them use the listening device on him. I have the perfect partner for him, a half alien-half vampire trans gendered offspring of Eric Lewis of Willow Creek, who better to date a conspiracy theorist! ...but I want to get that bug off of Erwin first.
  • WndblwzWndblwz Posts: 367 Member
    I have Sims who have had listening devices placed on them, had the snooping Sim listen in on them, yet the Sim being snooped on still has their device.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »

Aww...come on! It's fun eavesdropping on the regular ones too! Or the infected regulars.

I've had a good laugh on some of them!
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

Aww...come on! It's fun eavesdropping on the regular ones too! Or the infected regulars.

I've had a good laugh on some of them!

A fun thing to do is that you can actually blackmail sims that you've bugged and they will give you money. >:)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Jonathan777Jonathan777 Posts: 170 Member
    @Simanite Such a great way to tell us about the story of StrangerVille, great job :heart:, your Sim is so hot :kissing_heart:
    oNPKztK.jpg
    LOVE IS LOVE - Gilbert and Bruno Ferro
    He/They
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,402 Member
    @Simanite Such a great way to tell us about the story of StrangerVille, great job :heart:, your Sim is so hot :kissing_heart:

Exactly my thoughts!

The fridge thing didn't happen to me yet.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    This is great! Lots of effort put into telling your sim's story with this pack. :)

I didn't know about the refrigerator thing. It didn't happen to my sim. Good thing too, because he's not exactly swimming in cash right now
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Great pics and story!
    Some of you did not have the MIB confiscate your refrigerator? I loved that part - it was so funny! Had two of them show up in my game. Just wish there had been more to that - that my sim was under investigation for snooping around. Also wish the ending had been a little more sinister involving the MIB.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    The weird welcome wagon puts fruit in your fridge... so if you don't let them in to do that or plant strange fruit in empty garden pots.. the people in black won't come. They are confiscating the stuff. Lately I reach in and grab the fruit ... then another from the welcome wagon might put in more :). Then I take all but one of those. I like to see the men in black so I just go with it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    The weird welcome wagon puts fruit in your fridge... so if you don't let them in to do that or plant strange fruit in empty garden pots.. the people in black won't come. They are confiscating the stuff. Lately I reach in and grab the fruit ... then another from the welcome wagon might put in more :). Then I take all but one of those. I like to see the men in black so I just go with it.

Ohhhhhhhh. I greeted one of them and they left kind of quickly, so it didn't happen to me. Phew :D
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    edited March 2019
    Thanks @Hermitgirl - that make sense - I did have the welcome wagon and did have the fruit planted (though that may have been after they took the refrigerator). I like the MIB too and seriously wish they had more involvement - really only saw them that one time other than just seeing some women in black around town.
    Are you saying that if you get another refrigerator and keep the fruit in it - they will keep coming back and taking the refrigerator?
    Forgot to add that I thought the reason they took the refrigerator was so my sim would not have any food besides the fruit to eat which is why I thought the MIB would be more involved and were behind the whole thing originally.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Wow!! I live this story :smiley:

It will be a lot of fun to go through this again with another sim. Thank you for posting it.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Really nice screenshots - as always :D

And I'm really happy you enjoyed it so much! I did too, I even like that I had to fight Mother twice because we sorely failed the first time xD
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    Very beautiful pictures, as always.

I may start the game again and use my Scooby Doo team as I just got to the point where they need lots of sims to do battle (I had taken 3 with me and the Mother kicked their butts lol).

There are things I know now which makes me want to play it differently too. And I want the MIB to come, cos I missed that.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Once I finish my story I'll come back to read this, as the first few slides sound so fun!
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    Wonderful story, thank you for sharing it and your review!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    I haven't read too much of the other comments in this thread so apologies if I repeat anything -I just don't wanna spoil it too much for myself- but I really rate the OP. You usually have a decent outlook on releases and the fact you talk about it in such esteem is great. I thoroughly take on others views especially with GP's and EP's because they add a whole bunch to gameplay in general.

I saw the trailer and I got excited but to hear others and the buzz that was going on, including the forums was soooo fun! I'm proper hyped to get it -making sure I don't before I pass my theory, or else I won't get any "revision" done-
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    good story. I love how everyone comes up with their own story that ties into the main story. I have my own story too which I enjoy. I completed the story but I still have more plans in the aftermath. One of my sims has befriended the mother. So who knows whats going to happen because of these 2 sims. Im loving this pack.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3