Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on Strangerville?

Comments

• gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Interesting and intriguing - nice to see something new
    Also, I wanted to add something else on my previous comment, but I completely forgot. I know that this was more of a "test" pack for The Sims 4, but it'd be awesome if the Sims team could implement more story branches in the future. I mean, it'd be best if the end result of the mystery changed from time to time. Just an idea, that's all. I really like the pack and hope to see more in the future.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited March 2019
    Also, I wanted to add something else on my previous comment, but I completely forgot. I know that this was more of a "test" pack for The Sims 4, but it'd be awesome if the Sims team could implement more story branches in the future. I mean, it'd be best if the end result of the mystery changed from time to time. Just an idea, that's all. I really like the pack and hope to see more in the future.

The problem, again, is that if the main feature of the pack is a short story, and it still has a good amount of CAS / Build stuff, it means we who are not interested in the story have to get it anyway.

I would prefer a new category: $4.99 story packs, that just adds a story to a world, so I don't have to pay $20 for build items. Or maybe better, ALSO sell the "stuff" on the side as a non story non world pack with only CAS and Build items for 4.99.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Tenchi2a wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Tenchi2a wrote: »
    To put it bluntly, EA is doing what they have done in most of their other game.
    They are slowly reducing the content of games/packs trying to sell us less product for the same price.
    Pets vs Cat & Dogs, Late Night vs City living, World Adventures vs Jungle Adventure .
    Then using some gimmick to try an convince us that its worth it.
    They have done it with Star wars, most of their sports games ,etc.
    If this does even halfway decent, I expect them to make this a regular thing.
    And have an ever decreasing amount of content in pack down the road.
    Now just to be clear, I will be the first to say that some of the thing that where cut (Open world, color wheels, etc) where good for the game as they fixed a lot of lag problems, allow the game to work on lower level computers.

In answer to the why do they have to bring back things from the past game.
    If you are going to make a reboot/next entree (2/3/4) then you need to improve upon what came before.
    The biggest issues with Sims 4 has been that from the start it has either been missing items or backtracked to lesser version of what has come before.
    This is in no way an improvement so, why does Sims 4 exist.
    Well the answer is: To make money by having everyone buy the same stuff over again.
    And if they can do it for less and with less work they will.

Disagree. Sims 3 was the foray in to making as much money as possible while offering as little as possible.

It is your right to disagree with my point, the truth is I don't disagree that Sims 3 was a money making factory (stuff pack :( ).
    But what you fail to address is while Sims 3 did this it also offered twice the content for the money per expansion/pack then Sims 4 has ever had. And Sims 4 was missing key items that have been in each entry of the Sim (2,3,4) since they where introduced.
    Sim 4 has also tried to reduce the content of a expansion/pack then try to sell the missing items as a separate pack (My First Pet Stuff).

I don't think it offered twice the content. In fact, every pack I purchased and installed, I felt ripped off and wondered when it was going to get better. In fact, it was my wake up call to being a more discerning buyer and that I don't need everything. I just need what I want, and Sims 3 never gave it.

I'm sorry. I don't agree that sims 3 offered anything for MY play style. and it sure didn't offer anything close to what 2 did.
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    I would prefer a new category: $4.99 story packs, that just adds a story to a world, so I don't have to pay $20 for build items. Or maybe better, ALSO sell the "stuff" on the side as a non story non world pack with only CAS and Build items for 4.99.

It's weird that we are in the age of MICROtransactions but The Sims Team still sells these big packs. What if I just want SOME elements of that pack? I think the idea of The Sims 2 Store was great. For those who don't know, you could buy individual objects from EPs and SPs on The Sims 2 Store. If you didn't have Bon Voyage, for example, but you wanted to have a massage table, you could buy one for a couple of dollars. It's important to keep prices reasonable though, that was the undoing of both TS2 and TS3 Store.
    Naus wrote: »
    Disagree. Sims 3 was the foray in to making as much money as possible while offering as little as possible.

100% Disagree. The Sims 4 splits content that was previously included in expansioo packs or the base game and sells it as stuff packs or game packs:

STUFF PACKS:
    • Luxury Party added a buffet table. It's a base game object in TS2 and 3.
    • Perfect Patio added hot tubs. It's a base game object in TS2 and it was reintroduced in TS3 Late Night EP.
    • Cool Kitchen added an ice cream machine. A machine was included with TS3 Seasons (and there's a different one you can buy at TS3 Store).
    • Spooky Stuff added pumpkin carvin. It was included in TS3 Seasons.
    • Romantic Garden added a wishing well. It was included in TS2 Seasons; and a big fountain, which was included in TS2 University and TS3 base game.
    • Backyard Stuff added a slip 'n slide. It was part of TS3 Generations EP.
    • Vintage Glamour added vanity tables and a butler. Vanity Tables were included in TS2 University; and butlers in TS2 Apartment Life and TS3 Late Night.
    • Bowling Night added bowling lanes. This object was included in TS2 Nightlife and TS3 University Life.
    • Laundry Day added laundry equipment. It was included in TS3 Ambitions (except the washtub).
    • My First Pet added rodents. Rodents were part of TS2 and 3 Pets.

GAME PACKS:
    • Outdoor Retreat added campfires, horseshoe pits and tents. Campfires were included in TS2 Bon Voyage and TS3 base game (fire pits). Horseshoe pits appear in TS3 Seasons, and tents in TS2 Bon Voyage and TS3 World Adventures.
    • Spa Day added spa facilities. Spas were included with TS2 Bon Voyage (massage table, thermal waters, sauna).
    • Dine Out added restaurants and restaurant management, features included in TS2 Nightlife and TS2 Open for Business respectively.
    • Vampires added vampires, which were part of TS2 Nightlife and TS3 Late Night/Supernatural. This is a case in which they radically expanded the gameplay of vampires. Kudos to them. It's the exception, not the rule.
    • StrangerVille added laptops, included in TS3 base game; lava lamps, included in TS2 Base Game and TS3 Generations; and a training dummy, which was included in World Adventures.

NOTE: This isn't an opinion. It's a facts. Most features introduced with Game Packs and Stuff Packs in TS4 were included with EPs in previous versions. Only a few of them have been expanded to justify asking for an extra $10/20. The only SPs which offer completely new gameplay elements are Kids Room and Toddler Stuff.

Maybe you could make a list of any gameplay the sims 3 stuff packs offered for $20?
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    I don't have any issues with the way this pack was talked about by the devs before release. They gave very good info about what to expect from the pack.

I regret buying the cats and dogs pack because I paid for a world I can never play in. I don't like seeing animals suffer even if they're only pixels. I wish the devs made that part of the pack clear. They gave the impression that your sim's pets would suffer if you didn't take care of them. They did not mention that you would see every stray and pets owned by sims you're not playing suffer and that you couldn't do anything about it but watch. If that bugged you like it does me, the world becomes unplayable.

That being said, I really like this pack and I'm glad they made it. I don't think it's what the sims will become though.
    edited March 2019
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    Maybe you could make a list of any gameplay the sims 3 stuff packs offered for $20?

Stuff Packs for The Sims 3 didn't offer NEW gameplay (only High End Loft Stuff did), which is a good thing. If I'm not interested in buying Perfect Patio, why should I be forced to do it if I want to have a hot tub my game? To this day, the only way to get a hot tub in The Sims 4 is to buy that pack. Stuff Packs are 100% skippable in The Sims 2 and 3, since they don't hold gameplay items hostage like The Sims 4 packs do.

Stuff Pack were designed to have stuff: Build/Buy objects and CAS elements. Now they've added gameplay elements that were previously part of the base game or an expansion pack and they are EXCLUSIVE to that Stuff Pack (the exception would be Kids Room and Toddler Stuff).

Stuff Packs for The Sims 3 didn't offer NEW gameplay (only High End Loft Stuff did), which is a good thing. If I'm not interested in buying Perfect Patio, why should I be forced to do it if I want to have a hot tub my game? To this day, the only way to get a hot tub in The Sims 4 is to buy that pack. Stuff Packs are 100% skippable in The Sims 2 and 3, since they don't hold gameplay items hostage like The Sims 4 packs do.

Stuff Pack were designed to have stuff: Build/Buy objects and CAS elements. Now they've added gameplay elements that were previously part of the base game or an expansion pack and they are EXCLUSIVE to that Stuff Pack (the exception would be Kids Room and Toddler Stuff).

I still don't own luxury party. And likely never will. You can pick and choose you know? But hands down, the way sims 4 is set up is BY FAR better than sims 3.

I LIKE this GP in between offering. You might not, but it's ALL our choice to buy or not. Isn't that right?
  • zubop81zubop81 Posts: 23 Member
    > @gothprincess4ever said:
    > I'll be honest here. I was a bit sceptical when I saw the trailer, the gameplay video, and some of the YouTubers' early access stuff. I'm really into thrillers, horror stories, and fantasy books and films in real life, so the idea intrigued me, but I was a bit worried about the execution. But I had some money to spare, so I decided to give it a try. And I really liked it!
    >
    > To all of you who believe that it's a one-time only mystery, believe me, there are ways you can play it more than once and it isn't as boring as it looks from the outside. It may get a bit more boring in a few months time, but I know I'll be eager to go back to it. Happy Simming, everyone!

I too was not sure if I was going to like it, but was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it very much!! Not too many new objects that I like but the new world is fun and I always like when they add a new career!
  • shannonavashannonava Posts: 20 Member
    I'm really happy about the game, I keep forgetting it's only a game pack too. I feel like we got less out of Get To Work to say that was an EP.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    I'm really happy about the game, I keep forgetting it's only a game pack too. I feel like we got less out of Get To Work to say that was an EP.
    :o

Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Interesting idea but looks weirdly executed

Amen to that.

It’s not okay to hold items into a stuff pack and charge people for it. Especially when the “premium items” have featured as part of a bigger, more in depth pack somewhere in the sims franchise. Looking at you my first pet Although actually as you proved it goes way beyond that.

I loved the days of the sims 2 and 3 when stuff packs were just stuff. Now If you want hamsters it’s 10 dollars, ditto hot tubs, ditto bowling, ditto buffet tables, ditto a wishing well. I could go on but I don’t need too. Even npc sims aren’t Immune with the butler held for 10 dollars.

Want a base game item like laptops and a base game career? 20 dollars please!
    Don’t get me started on the re used interactions and animations for this new pack either. We are paying for things we have in game but now accessing it a different way. For example with the paranoid trait one of the interactions is “share conspiracy theories” but wait... we can already do that, it comes with a certain level of mischief skill.
    We can now black mail sims with the listening device. But actually the blackmail option came with the wishing well. So it’s not new, just it’s a different method but the result is the same. That means the only new thing I can see for paranoid sims is “change passwords” which I’m guessing gives a moodlet. They will get tense around sims they think are talking about them but after happy tense is is the most over used emotion so I wouldn’t consider that a game changer.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2019
    Let's face it Sims 4 is not for everyone as Sims 3 was not for everyone, Sims 4 just does not hit the spot as Sims 3 did. Sims 4 packs for me are gimped. Luckily for me I have more than 1 system where I can run Sims 4 and Sims 3 side by side. Feature for feature Sims 3 wins most of them and Sims 4 just an few.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Let's face it Sims 4 is not for everyone as Sims 3 was not for everyone, Sims 4 just does not hit the spot as Sims 3 did. Sims 4 packs for me are gimped. Luckily for me I have more than1system where I can run Sims 4 and Sims 3 side by side. Feature for feature Sims 3 wins most of them and SIms 4 just an few.

For you. Sims 3 hit no buttons for me. None. I didn't even bother with 3 until about 2012. and was glad to say goodbye to it in 2014. It's subjective, and purely speculative. We all play and like different facets of the game.

🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    For you. Sims 3 hit no buttons for me. None. I didn't even bother with 3 until about 2012. and was glad to say goodbye to it in 2014. It's subjective, and purely speculative. We all play and like different facets of the game.

However, it's very telling that The Sims 3 base game sold 10 millions in its first two years. 1.4 million copies in its first week and 4.5 million copies in its first 8 months (REF). The Sims 4 sold 5 million in the same amount of time (REF).

The Sims 3 was so big when it was released than it was the only GAME in the top 10 Software Sales in July 2009, only being surpassed in sales by Microsoft Office 2007 (REF).

Whether you like The Sims 3 or not, it's undeniable it was massively popular game and a lot of people loved it.

However, it's very telling that The Sims 3 base game sold 10 millions in its first two years. 1.4 million copies in its first week and 4.5 million copies in its first 8 months (REF). The Sims 4 sold 5 million in the same amount of time (REF).

The Sims 3 was so big when it was released than it was the only GAME in the top 10 Software Sales in July 2009, only being surpassed in sales by Microsoft Office 2007 (REF).

Whether you like The Sims 3 or not, it's undeniable it was massively popular game and a lot of people loved it.

So what is your point? Sims 3 is done. They make content for 4 now.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Why are EA not giving us babies that are not objects or university
    I'll just say I'm so happy I got it for free. It's really not my thing, I only wanted it for the new world and military career.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Let's face it Sims 4 is not for everyone as Sims 3 was not for everyone, Sims 4 just does not hit the spot as Sims 3 did. Sims 4 packs for me are gimped. Luckily for me I have more than1system where I can run Sims 4 and Sims 3 side by side. Feature for feature Sims 3 wins most of them and SIms 4 just an few.

Yes for me as I had fun and it is all about me and what I think is fun. For you nobody can do you but you. Sims 4 is not all bad but there is not enough in the game to keep me occupied longer than 1 hour. Sims 3 has not even been archived yet as it has been 5 years since Sims 3 developmental life has ended and Sims 1 and 2 was archived soon after. Sims 3 was not perfect looking at the dev but it sure kept playing more than Sims 4 had and that is honestly speaking. As said the best thing Sims 4 has is controversy.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    aprilrose wrote: »
    I'll just say I'm so happy I got it for free. It's really not my thing, I only wanted it for the new world and military career.

That definitely the best way to get it as free is always good. :)
  • EverclearBoyEverclearBoy Posts: 151 Member
    I look at it this way. It cost money to pay people to make these games. I have no clue how many people are involved with creating all the animations, object models etc. But they have to make a living to have that job and make the content. I have no clue how much an expansion, game pack, stuff pack nets a good profit for Maxis.

I fully enjoy everything Strangeville has brought into the game. I can build a fun Mad Scientist lab like I did waaaay back in the days of Ts2. The story option with its multiple ways to go about doing it has been fun. The objects I have to build home designs with gives me a new style to work with. And a story I was in the process of writing which needed a central antagonist now has one. Along with the amusing nature of what happens in the Game Pack. Also I love the plane object too, that's friggin awesome as I love secret hideways and passage stuff. In Ts2 Id have to physically edit and move this bookcase to open a passageway to the mad scientist lab and then in Ts3 we got that bookcase that could function as a door and thankfully that is in Ts4 too. So that sorta stuff I find way cool. All this fun for $20 and it keeps the Maxis folks paid to keep going. For the price of two trips to Starbucks I get new content and a new location to travel to. I'm OK with that.

I am in the crowd that reeeeeaally wants University. I've always felt Life stage stuff should always be some of the very first content to release. And there are certain Sim stories Im doing that will have to pause when I get to that point in hopes it eventually comes. But being newer to Ts4 I'm pretty happy with the experience so far and went from spending $5 to get the game during the holiday sale (because I was a Ts3 holdout) to within a week buying up all the expansions and all but one Gamepack so far and having every stuff pack at this point except for 4 of them (Though I will eventually get these) Don't regret my purchases one bit. I'm slowly meeting some cool people who play too.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited March 2019
    No, sims 3 is not done. People still play all versions of Sims 1, 2, and 3 of the game. They are just not providing content for it anymore. Sims 4 is the newest version on the block. That is all. I still have the complete games of Sims 1 - Sims 3 on disc. They can all still be played.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I've still not got it yet. I might wait for a sale. I'm still exploring stuff from other packs. It looks good though! I like the idea of conspiracies and the build/buy objects look fun.
    giphy.gif
  • estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    Why are EA not giving us babies that are not objects or university
    The Sims is NOT an MMO-RPG, nor is it an FPS game, like Skyrim. Stop making it like one! I won't pay $25 for a content that I can finish in an hour max (maybe less), and has zero re-playability. I play ESO, and if I wanted an adventure type of game I play that. Not this game. In fact, I barely play The Sims anymore. Has become crappier and crappier with whatever "content" it has been releasing. Like I said, I play ESO, an MMO-RPG, which I pay a monthly sub and definitely buy lots of stuff from their store. And I would rather purchase cosmetics, than buy anymore from the Sims 4, because the "content" this game has been offering has been boring me a few hours after I played it. Last pack that I got was Seasons, and that was really the last straw, it was an ok pack, but really, after you've cycled through the seasons (and holidays) there is nothing. The Sims 4 is an empty game. The only nice thing about this game is it's aesthetics, beyond that it's empty. Find myself standing and not knowing what to do for minutes very often. Because there is nothing to do outside the lots that my sims are in, but either seat on a bench, pick up collectible and well... "Go here" maybe? lol.
  • DESERTFLOWER1981DESERTFLOWER1981 Posts: 90 Member
    This has been a pleasant change, I would not want this style for every game pack, but this was a nice return to similar Sims 2 World Adventure style playing. It was fun until it was done. I do however like the content for some possible future storytelling.
    I am writing a story, want to read it?
    Visit my blog here
    Visit the latest update for the discussion here
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

The problem, again, is that if the main feature of the pack is a short story, and it still has a good amount of CAS / Build stuff, it means we who are not interested in the story have to get it anyway.

Best idea I have seen.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.