Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why?

Comments

• HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    We got a thing called... Laundry. So, it's good to have something in the complete other direction?

I personally enjoy sandboxes, but could take more rpg elements. I'd like more drastic consequences though, like your sim dying for good. Just like in rpg, I like storymode where killing monsters is casual. Still dreaming of the perfect mix.

Have just started the new pack... seems promising.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Freygea wrote: »
    If one has been playing the Sims since the beginning, they know it has always been a grindy game if one chooses to complete goals.

One has to grind any :

skill
    job
    relationship

on and on and on.

Thank you for pointing this out. The Sims series has always been about grinding, so they way they've done it in 4 makes sense from a historical perspective. In 2 you had to do have the skills and enough friends to get promotions. I think that's been basically the same with all of the games, so why it's suddenly not the way it used to be in the good old days I don't know (I could be wrong feel free to correct me).

I understand the GTW annoyances though, because the careers are supposed to be active but become very same old same old with a check list. And I understand why it'd be annoying to play a mystery in strangerville when you have to travel all the time for it, especially if your loading screens are slow.

But to say that the grinding aspect of the game is new is just...false. Whether or not it's worse now is up for debate, but grinding to some extent has always been part of the game.

To stay relevant to the OP: Completely get your complaints. I think it's sad that the mystery is one and done, and essentially just Stranger Things (love the show though), and that it requires a bucket load of travel in a closed world kinda sucks. Because loading screens are annoying. However, I really like the world, the items, the attempt at a backstory for at least one family I know of so far, and plan to enjoy the pack at what I view as an appropriate price when it goes on sale, because I think sci-fi stuff rocks.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    edited March 2019
    Alright folks let's try and dial back the discussion of "policing" threads, thats what the moderators are for, if you have an issue with a post or believe it breaks the rules, report it and we will review it. Calling it out only serves to derail the thread and discussing moderation is also against our rules so lets try and leave that out please. Going forward let's try and keep this on topic.

That goes for the back and forth arguing too, I've had to remove some posts in here that were beginning to get sarcastic and snarky let's try and and have less of that please.

I've also moved this to the feedback section as it is more appropriate to have the thread there. Carry on.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Is the fan base changing and EA is trying to make a different game for the new players

I think it’s the other way around. EA is changing and therefore the fanbase is changing. That’s just sour for those who loved the old franchise. Also, welcome, I love your clearly fresh contribution here.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Is the fan base changing and EA is trying to make a different game for the new players

I think it’s the other way around. EA is changing and therefore the fanbase is changing. That’s just sour for those who loved the old franchise. Also, welcome, I love your clearly fresh contribution here.

I agree as an company evolves or makes changes to how an program is presented, it customers eithier move along with them or just move away from them. Some has accepted the changes EA made to the Sims series and some has not.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • kathdelinekathdeline Posts: 38 Member
    I've been a Sims-player for 12 years and I love The Sims but 4 has been a disappointment to me. Looks like the newer Sims players are used to get shallow packs/don't know how awesome this game used to be and a part of simmers say they like TS4 the best because it LOOKS good. This group says the people who express their disappointment are "ungrateful" and "crying kids" and praise EA all the time so EA keeps doing similar stuff because they know people will buy it, no matter what it is. Unfortunately, I feel like most people have accepted the game as it is already.
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    We as humans enjoy a tendency to overthink things, and assign more meaning to something than there really is, and think with our fears sometimes. But often all is not what our fears would lead us to believe, and it's important not to let those fears in our minds grow bigger than the reality and make things seem like everything is awful, because it's not always as bad as it first seems.

There's nothing wrong with trying something a little different and mixing it up a bit, or doing something new. It's not written in stone what the game has to be, or can and can't. I haven't bought the pack yet, but it looks like a fun little crazy adventure, and from what I've seen so far it looks like they've done a commendable job of pulling it off. Worst comes to worst, we can always just skip the packs that aren't for us, and if we don't own five of them out of thirty, so what?

Every game has to balance gameplay for a variety of types of players. Not everything will be one person's particular favorite. The next thing might very well be. If this particular one isn't my thing, I can live until something comes along that does pique my interest. There's nothing anywhere saying that everything is going to be like this from now on - we don't actually know that. If they can incorporate this type of gameplay, who's to say the next one won't be something that rocks our socks off? The Sims 4: Mystery Adventure would be one fun thing that I could think of that I would enjoy having in my side game and revisiting every once in a while.

Different isn't always a bad thing. Change is not always as bad as it seems.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Morpheous wrote: »
    Im on the fence as to if I will purchase this pack or not. I do like the darker/crazier theme, it's definitely not in line with the party simulator they originally essentially went with. I've been with this franchise since Sims 1. Sims 3 has probably been my favorite and I am often split between 4 (All the quality of life improvements) and Sims 3 (All the content).

Overall I think that The Sims 4 has improved in direction and gameplay since a certain lead departed Maxis. Once Vampires and Toddlers made their appearance in the game it has felt like things are improving. This kind of content will hopefully be like the Katy Parry content of Sims 3, a one shot. If so that's fine. It'll be fine in my opinion as long as the expansions continue to add things for the sims to do in the long term.

This Gamepack would probably have been far more interesting to me if part of the mystery included or lead to a new full life state.

If we hadn't gotten fairly weak PlantSims in a challenge, this sort of pack might have been a good chance to introduce them -- you could have either good PlantSims who work to preserve the environment alongside humans (and other supernaturals like vampires, aliens and other future creatures) or the PlantSims who see all non-PlantSims as evil and must be controlled to protect the environment.

But the pack is what it is -- I like the military career because it will be another option for my active Sims, I really like the new world (for a game pack, a world with 11 lots is huge -- it's more than we got with GTW and that's an EP though that pack has a lot of "under the hood" features) and much of the CAS will work well if we get a farming/rural living pack. And I'd love to see more shells like the airplane fuselage that hides the entrance to a basement lair -- that enables a lot of possibilities for builders/creators

This particular theme isn't my cup of Earl Grey, Hot but I could see it work in other contexts -- maybe if the gameplay changed depending on the type of Sim you play (a Genius would use logic to solve puzzles, or an active Sim his/her muscles, etc.) it would have more interest in replaying the story
    (if you have GTW, can you have a scientist who can clone the vaccine?)

I'll mainly use this pack for the new world (I have a save where I'm playing through the story, while my other existing saves ( used the cheats to end the story then deleted the Infected trait from the premades who had it) and the objects/CAS. It's an early birthday gift for me so I don't mind.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    edited April 2019
    @mcorral

If only I could put 100 likes below. Can't describe how much I agree with you. And I'm very excited to be able to join that conversation and discuss the problem, but I would never create such a tread myself. Here's why: I think, it's pointless. That won't change anything, and the chance your words will be heard is tiny, if not zero. Sorry. They have their own plan and they follow it, so it's not a lack of creativity from their side. BUT we still can just discuss it.
    Maybe the fan base is changing and the new players have a very different opinion and play-style that we, the older players have. Maybe the game should change and offer new and fresh things and we should change with it.
    The fan base definitely IS changing, but I don't think I'll ever change with it. Honestly, I don't even want to. I have an interesting thought about that, but I may be wrong, so I'm not trying to speak like it's a 100% proven fact. I was born and raised in Russia, the country with a little different mentality. So many of us tend to discuss things we don't like and bring them up into the conversation. It's not bad or good, it's just the way it is. Of course, people are willing to be polite, but almost no one thinks that telling people you don't like something is offensive, in case it's about something made for EVERYONE. Like when you tell an artist you don't like a painting, because it's not your cup ot tea, it's rude, but when many people are disappointed in a videogame, it's okay to tell the developers that there's a problem. It won't offend neither developers nor other players. We have a forum too, where you can barely find people who're cool with EVERYTHING in the game the way it is/just swallow their disappointment and keep playing. But when I come to this forum, you can barely meet people who discuss weak sides of the game. I think that people may be a little afraid that their comments may seem offensive and judgemental, though saying you don't like something/here's a problem is a NEUTRAL thing, unless you're really hateful.

As someone noticed, the new generation of simmers will think of how they don't like something in the game and how it's not worth the money, but then they will go and get a new pack. Now why would EA change anything then? They still sell their packs no matter what.

You woudn't eat a rotten sandwich in a restaurant, would you? You'd send it back. But somehow we still play with a ridiculously long list of bugs and imperfections, because we don't have any choices (at least for those, who don't want to go back to the previous game parts). It's absolutely okay to wish EA finally did something with bugs that almost exist as long as the game itself. Being unable to feed toddlers without their parents taking them out of a highchair while they're trying to eat. My sims drinking water constantly. Little kids in parks at midnight. Should I continue? Anytime there's a new game update on PC, I get full of hope and then disappointed, because once again they "fixed" things that were not even a problem and added exotic outfits that I can't use too often (because they're exotic, obviously). So do updates give me something? NO. I got myself all the mods and fixes to prevent bugs, drinking water and many else things, but don't you think it's odd when only players fix problems that the developers "don't notice"? That must have been in the game and that's not even a question.

I'm that type of a gamer who really can't afford every pack he wants because they're quite expensive (at least here) and because there's a lot of things to spend money on, welcome to the adult world. Ha. So when I buy something, I want it to be worth my money. I want to enjoy the game without searching for the ways to make my game comfortable and fix new and old issues. I think that it's disrespectful to give simmers raw, poor and full of bugs content for their PAID money, with a huge radiant smile like everything is cool. We love The Sims 4, but we just have to admit, not everything in it is cool.
    Post edited by MrSpaceman on
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

YEESSS!!! I hadn't thought about it that way but you are exactly right.
  • mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
    @Vincent_Vengeance

Thank you for your post.

When I play I want to see some action, something unexpected like a sudden death, or someone fighting/arguing with other, to know that a friend is expecting a baby, that my neighbours just broke up... but no, nothing of these things happen. The game is just flat and static. Everything is pure and perfect.

Maybe we should accept the game as it is... I'm really trying.
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    One could argue that expectations are being set too high here, but in this case, it's justified, as previous Sims games have come out with content that people have ended up enjoying and it's only natural to want more of that. However, I'm not entirely sure it's right to expect them to execute, for example, University the same way they executed it in TS3. The point of a new Sims game, I think, is to add a new dimension to content that's been added in previous games. Whether or not people like that is up to them. Sorry if this ends up sounding totally useless, I just wanted to put in my two cents.
  • MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    @mcorral,
    I don't think it's a good idea. Because we shouldn't close our eyes to pretend that problems don't exist, or there will be more and more problems in the future.
    When I play I want to see some action, something unexpected like a sudden death, or someone fighting/arguing with other, to know that a friend is expecting a baby, that my neighbours just broke up... but no, nothing of these things happen. The game is just flat and static. Everything is pure and perfect.
    As someone who plays for all families I definitely wouldn't like such changes happened without me. But at least that could have existed as an option...
  • mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
    edited March 2019
    @AshtontoAshton22
    The point of a new Sims game, I think, is to add a new dimension to content that's been added in previous

I agree with you on that. The same way Get Famous is different from the one in The Sims 3, University should be different in this game. New things are always welcome.

But The Sims is a life-simulator game, not an arcade, shooter or RPG game. When developers/EA/whoever removes freedom, removes customization, removes lots of previous features, adds lots of restrictions and also adds adventure features... the game leaves the life-simulator type to become something... different.

• SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    I agree with other posters in this thread who have said they think it is EA themselves who are changing the whole style of the Sims game which may be possibly attracting a different fan base. That's great for the new Sims 4 players but not quite so great for all those long term players who have loved previous games and remained loyal for a very long time as a result; long term players who would have preferred their enjoyment of the game to continue into Sims 4. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! These are my sentiments too. Why change something that was clearly working exceptionally well with a huge number of followers? Yes, ADD to it for improvements but don't TAKE AWAY what was so good about the Sims.

The most noticeable thing lacking for me personally in Sims 4 is that I cannot manifest onto my screen whatever is in my own imagination; something I could do in Sims 3. (Sims 3 did have some limitations but nothing like the limitations found in Sims 4) I can't create the personality I want in my sims - the sim will behave exactly the same as all other sims no matter what traits I give it. My sim will still fart in public or waddle to the loo no matter how prim and proper I make them. My sim will still sit with strangers when going out on a date even if my imagination conjured up a very close couple who would spend every minute together. If I add a grandma to my game, she will still burn the breakfast simply because she is new to my game. How many grandma's burn a breakfast? It doesn't sit well with me.

Why can't I match up rooms, doors, windows, wood, etc? Why can't I create an environment that I can see in my own imagination, as I could in Sims 3, like change the town, change the world, change the environment? In Sims 3 my criminal sims looked and acted like criminal sims; not so in Sims 4. It's the little things that made Sims 3 better - my sims could pop across the road to a neighbor, or drive (walk, cycle) to town. They could wait outside the police station for their partner to come out of work; they could wait for the children to come out of school, they could run across fields or down to the beach and visit the graveyard at night to see a ghost. They could sell their home produced stuff from the consignment store. They could go and make out backstage at the theatre or the town hall, pop across to the park and sit and eat with a friend, visit the bistro, drive to the beach .....so many things they could do. I could create a farming area north of town, take my sims on a cookery course or a handiness course. I could build a small cottage or caravan park up by the waterfall that my sims could visit. My imagination had almost free rein in Sims 3. Now in Sims 4 I find myself following a list of things to do, a checklist ......do this, now do that, now this......... I don't want to be reminded that the children are missing school when it was part of my plan for them to miss school. I want my sims to be able to walk into the hospital whenever I want them to, not have to take employment there in order to do so.

Anyway, I had better stop now because I'm moaning about the game again and it's making me feel negative. Why do I bother? I stopped playing long ago when it became absolutely clear to me that this game was never going to be the same; that this game was never going to offer me the brilliance of Sims 3.

What I really wish the most is that instead of taking away what made the Sims game so good, was that they would ADD to its brilliance with an updated version. It's clear that is never going to happen and that is why EA have lost my custom. Oh well........ :(
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Sucom wrote: »
    I agree with other posters in this thread who have said they think it is EA themselves who are changing the whole style of the Sims game which may be possibly attracting a different fan base. That's great for the new Sims 4 players but not quite so great for all those long term players who have loved previous games and remained loyal for a very long time as a result; long term players who would have preferred their enjoyment of the game to continue into Sims 4. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! These are my sentiments too. Why change something that was clearly working exceptionally well with a huge number of followers? Yes, ADD to it for improvements but don't TAKE AWAY what was so good about the Sims.

The most noticeable thing lacking for me personally in Sims 4 is that I cannot manifest onto my screen whatever is in my own imagination; something I could do in Sims 3. (Sims 3 did have some limitations but nothing like the limitations found in Sims 4) I can't create the personality I want in my sims - the sim will behave exactly the same as all other sims no matter what traits I give it. My sim will still fart in public or waddle to the loo no matter how prim and proper I make them. My sim will still sit with strangers when going out on a date even if my imagination conjured up a very close couple who would spend every minute together. If I add a grandma to my game, she will still burn the breakfast simply because she is new to my game. How many grandma's burn a breakfast? It doesn't sit well with me.

Why can't I match up rooms, doors, windows, wood, etc? Why can't I create an environment that I can see in my own imagination, as I could in Sims 3, like change the town, change the world, change the environment? In Sims 3 my criminal sims looked and acted like criminal sims; not so in Sims 4. It's the little things that made Sims 3 better - my sims could pop across the road to a neighbor, or drive (walk, cycle) to town. They could wait outside the police station for their partner to come out of work; they could wait for the children to come out of school, they could run across fields or down to the beach and visit the graveyard at night to see a ghost. They could sell their home produced stuff from the consignment store. They could go and make out backstage at the theatre or the town hall, pop across to the park and sit and eat with a friend, visit the bistro, drive to the beach .....so many things they could do. I could create a farming area north of town, take my sims on a cookery course or a handiness course. I could build a small cottage or caravan park up by the waterfall that my sims could visit. My imagination had almost free rein in Sims 3. Now in Sims 4 I find myself following a list of things to do, a checklist ......do this, now do that, now this......... I don't want to be reminded that the children are missing school when it was part of my plan for them to miss school. I want my sims to be able to walk into the hospital whenever I want them to, not have to take employment there in order to do so.

Anyway, I had better stop now because I'm moaning about the game again and it's making me feel negative. Why do I bother? I stopped playing long ago when it became absolutely clear to me that this game was never going to be the same; that this game was never going to offer me the brilliance of Sims 3.

What I really wish the most is that instead of taking away what made the Sims game so good, was that they would ADD to its brilliance with an updated version. It's clear that is never going to happen and that is why EA have lost my custom. Oh well........ :(

I happened to be a totally new player to the Sims franchise when I started playing TS4 in 2015, and it was great at first, but now not so much. Traits are kinda stale, there's far too many Happy moodlets, and the worst part is is when you're playing a story and you have the characters' behavior perfectly in mind for that story, they proceed to ruin it by promptly switching hobbies. That last part especially turned me off of playing for a good while.
    mcorral wrote: »
    @Vincent_Vengeance

Thank you for your post.

There’s nothing we can do but accept it, but that doesn’t mean I have to buy content for it or play it. This last pack and the way it’s received has revealed for me the fanbase is so diverse, that all that can be done for players like me is another company stepping up to continue the unique sandbox life simulation game the way we knew it. We simply depend on that. If that won’t happen, that for me means there’s just one thing left to accept: it’s over.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • oneloveSims3oneloveSims3 Posts: 3 New Member
    Okay. Why. I agree.

Is EA just trying to profit more of Sims 4? It's obvious to me that Sims 4 is bare of everything we loved about Sims 1,2, and 3 (just the purchase of the game..no expansions) and is trying to profit off making us pay for expansion after expansion to get the Sims game we know and love.

Anybody else agree? ...this is my first post..don't know if it was talked about before. Also ...laugh at my hopefulness and naive-ity (that's not a word but ok) please...I thought Sims 5 was for real for 24 hrs and my joy ended an hour ago. Literally thought EA was trying to make amends for Sims 4 but no.

Sad with the direction of EA is going...agree with you all about how EA is appealing to a new audience...but ultimately I think they'll just run themselves into the ground if they continue this way. I get EA is a business and Sims is the product...but have a heart? Give the people what they want? Please? I did the trial for Sims 4 and knew I would never pay for that plus having to pay so much more to get what I have in the Sims 3. Reading about how sad the gaming industry is becoming...I mean its economics, so its inevitable..just wish we could learn from the past instead of repeating history and having to learn again! But ya customers over shareholders any day. I mean customers mean profits..isn't that the goal? If Sims 4 had been an updated version of Sims 3, I would have bought it. Then I would have bought expansion packs for reasonable, sim-tradition stuff..university/town-life/all the other ones! I mean..updated Sims 3 plus thoughtful new additions like the emotional response or whatever it is that they created which is really cool...that I would have bought.

Sims 3 4eva ...until hopefully they make an affordable Sims 5 ???? because WE LOVE the updated look SO MUCh. But I'd rather stick to not so great graphics that pay this much for Sims 4..it's ridiculous to me.
    Okay. Why. I agree.

Is EA just trying to profit more of Sims 4? It's obvious to me that Sims 4 is bare of everything we loved about Sims 1,2, and 3 (just the purchase of the game..no expansions) and is trying to profit off making us pay for expansion after expansion to get the Sims game we know and love.

Anybody else agree? ...this is my first post..don't know if it was talked about before. Also ...laugh at my hopefulness and naive-ity (that's not a word but ok) please...I thought Sims 5 was for real for 24 hrs and my joy ended an hour ago. Literally thought EA was trying to make amends for Sims 4 but no.

Sad with the direction of EA is going...agree with you all about how EA is appealing to a new audience...but ultimately I think they'll just run themselves into the ground if they continue this way. I get EA is a business and Sims is the product...but have a heart? Give the people what they want? Please? I did the trial for Sims 4 and knew I would never pay for that plus having to pay so much more to get what I have in the Sims 3. Reading about how sad the gaming industry is becoming...I mean its economics, so its inevitable..just wish we could learn from the past instead of repeating history and having to learn again! But ya customers over shareholders any day. I mean customers mean profits..isn't that the goal? If Sims 4 had been an updated version of Sims 3, I would have bought it. Then I would have bought expansion packs for reasonable, sim-tradition stuff..university/town-life/all the other ones! I mean..updated Sims 3 plus thoughtful new additions like the emotional response or whatever it is that they created which is really cool...that I would have bought.

Sims 3 4eva ...until hopefully they make an affordable Sims 5 ???? because WE LOVE the updated look SO MUCh. But I'd rather stick to not so great graphics that pay this much for Sims 4..it's ridiculous to me.
    Agree with basically everything except for loving the updated look. I’d love them to return to the TS3 look, with better graphics and better CAS.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Louise_WordsworthLouise_Wordsworth Posts: 33 Member
    I've been a member of this forum for 9 years, mostly lurking, but playing the Sims even longer (I owned Sims 1, played the Sims 2 on my friend's computer, owned Sims 3. I also have the Create-A-Sim Demo that came out right before the Sims 4 was released). Not that how long I've been playing makes me more of an expert on the subject, but I feel like people who unconditionally love the Sims 4 are often put down as "new players" who don't remember the good-ole-days.

I remember grinding just to get my Sims needs to not tank into the red. I remember the social bunny in my house all the time because I never had time to speak to a human. I remember back before the Sims games had weekends, when you had to go to work every day without a break. I remember my PC struggling to play the Sims 3 until eventually I couldn't play at all. My speed controls wouldn't work because of lag, so overnights while my Sims slept, and all day while they worked, I just sat and waited as the minutes ticked by. I couldn't open Create-A-Style without 5-10 mins of lag, per item I wanted to change. My heart almost broke when the Sims 4 was announced, surely my PC wouldn't be able to play that either.

But, it could. Playing was easy. Super-speed was a thing, so night-time and work-time passed in a flash, leaving me free to play the fun parts! Build mode was AMAZING, intuitive, easy, fast, and amazing graphics. Those were my first impressions, as a mid-range desktop PC owner.

The game did seem empty after a couple of hundred hours and I did shelve it for a while. I've shelved every game for a while at some point, some 10 hours in, some 500 hours in. But when I picked it up again a couple of years ago, the base game had been updated SO MUCH. Free toddlers, pools, objects, and now terrain tools. It motivated me to play and get caught up on buying packs. And all of a sudden I've got over 3,000 hours of gameplay and still love The Sims 4 so, so much.

I'm not a newbie who doesn't know any better, I'm not "putting up" with sub-par packs. I genuinely love it and appreciate the packs being kept streamlined so I can keep playing. I upgraded my CPU and graphics card last year (to play Arkham Knight) so I thought I'd try The Sims 3 again to see if it's more bearable when it runs better. The open world is still laggy as heck, Create-A-Style is filled with 100% ugly swatches and I forgot that Sims can't even multi-task. All your family is sitting around a table to eat, completely silent and all feeling lonely? They can't paint and listen to music, or use their cell phone on the toilet. It's still a lot of grinding as you fill each need one-by-one. I didn't see it as very fun, personally, compared to the fun I have with 4. And Sims 3 with one pack still runs worse than my Sims 4 game with ALL packs.

The Sims 4 is much less grindy in my opinion, most low needs cause an uncomfortable moodlet, but not impending doom, and when you can fill 2-3 needs at once it leaves a lot more time for creative gameplay.

And P.S. I love Strangerville. One play-through had my Sim at level 5 charisma and level 5 logic, with quite a few friends, without me even noticing or 'feeling the grind'. I think it's a great little story to start off with before settling into a career or having a family, and I can't wait for more story packs. I low-key love being possessed as I never had to worry about my needs lol. Yes, it had load screens. But Get Famous got me more used to a lot of travelling (I used to stay on one lot/neighbourhood as much as possible, GF motivated me to get out so I could be famous, and now I love taking my Sims to clubs, the gym, restaurants, etc).

I'm happy they have 3 more years of content planned out, I have a feeling the Sims 5 will be a rough transition for me and I may not take to it well! But if my computer can play it, I guarantee I will.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    It's been confirmed TS4 changed direction at the end of it's development process and was meant to be something entirely different - a co-op multiplayer always online game. Therefore, IMO, 4 being the way it is... it's not because the publisher is trying to push a model that works for them. It's not because there's a misconception about the new generation of players at EA's.

They're simply trying to save face by pretending TS4's limitation are not a result of poor planning and the unexpected Sim City 2013 distater, but a CHOICE.

They're literally just pretending this was all planned and everything is going well in order to avoid getting even worse press.

There was a way to stop that at the very beginning but at some point it wasn't rly doable anymore so it looks like they just went "aight, let's just go with what we have for now and be calm and maybe with enough luck they can sell it to people as the next big thing we came up with" like it was legit better for them to say that the fanbase has simply changed than to admit they effed up years ago thinking that they can manipulate us into loving online rpgs all of a sudden and then it was too late.

I firmly believe that people haven't changed since the year 2000 and a classic sims game would still bring in a satisfactory revenue.

There was just way too much fear and pride involved.

Corporations are made of people after all.
  • thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    Sims 1, 2, 3 each are unique, immersive, unpredictable and give the player an ability to be creative and surprised about what could be coming next. each EP that was added to the game only enhanced the gaming experience. Not all EP's were great...(ahem..sweet treats) but still... there was always something that kept you coming back.

With TS4... and yes I have played it.... Once the objective has been met...there is nothing left to do. This game has had 27 packs added to it so far... and it still has no life. This latest game pack... everyone has said the same thing... once you complete the story... then what? it's the same ole' thing, just new scenery.

I want more than scenery...I want to explore, I want unpredictability, and to be really creative with a neighborhood... not just the house. TS4 doesn't offer that.

When the developers finally get tired of those of us who expect more and finally produce some semblance of what was expected to begin with, then I will stop with the comparisons. But like others said before...if we offer no criticism and just blindly purchase what is thrown our way...they will think it's okay and continue to produce mediocre at best content.

I stopped purchased anything for TS4 a long time ago... I'm not giving EA anymore money until they make the Sims game that was promised to all of us... not just the new players...but all of us who were invested from the beginning. And if they never do....I'm sure someone else will.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    mcorral wrote: »
    So, I needed to say something after the release of this new pack because I need to think about the path this game it is taking.

The Sims 4 is quite different from others series. This game is a turning point in so many ways. It is true that every evolution of the game had something different from the previous ones, but this one is like a completetly new game: the cartoonish style, very little customization, restrictions everywhere, no story progression, many community lots missing (police, graveyard, etc.), no cars... there are so many things left behind. Now we have a pack that... it is not The Sims style at all.

Since I can recall, fans have been stating massively and clearly that The Sims SHOULD NOT EVER BE AN ONLINE GAME. What does EA about this? They tried to release The Sims 4 with the online feature against the opinion of most of the the community. Soon someone very clever in EA realised that this was a wrong choice and they tried to go back and change the game in a rush to remove the online feature. It was too late and the game was released with so many restrictions and missing features that the community was so disappointed. This was the first and main wrong choice.

The Sims 3 World Adventures was heavly critizied by fans because it was goal-driven game. Again fans have been stating massively that this game SHOULD BE A SANDBOX GAME and not a goal-driven or adventure game.
    What does EA about this? They release:
    - Repetitive and goal driven careers.
    - Jungle Adventures pack which is very similar to the critizied World Adventures.
    - Stranger Ville pack with a one-play and very linear story that only appeals the first time you play it.
    Again a wrong choice (in my opinion).

At this poing I have to stop and think about this franchise. Why are they doing this? Really, WHY? Let's think about it.

Maybe the fan base is changing and the new players have a very different opinion and play-style that we, the older players have. Maybe the game should change and offer new and fresh things and we should change with it.

Truth is that every release will make some people angry and some others very exciting to get it. This is innevitable because the fan base is very huge and each of us have different play-styles. But this is too much. They are doing just the opposite many people want (or at least that is what I feel about it).

Probably this last pack would sell very well. The fan base is always very supportive, like myself, beacuse we DO love The Sims. In my case this game is lacking so many things that I bought almost every pack, stuff pack and expansion in order to fill the emptyness of the game. That does not mean that I like the game. I know that buying this packs I am saying to EA: ey, I buy it because I like it. They would think that if the game sells really good it means that people want more of this. I know I'm guilty because I'm sending the wrong message.

This last pack... it was nice to play the story once... but now... what does it have, appart from the story, that would change my game? A new scenery, a new career and very few new objects but nothing more. This pack would not impact my game very much at all. The new world is not very customizable and the number of lots is again very low, so probably I would not use it much.
    In my opinion this new pack would be fine if the game had all basic things people is asking for. It is always good to have fresh new things. But having so many things missing in the game I think this is not the time to release something like this.
    I see in forums that people is asking for supernatural, beaches and swimming in the ocean, university, farming... but EA thinks it is better to spend money, time and resources in something like... this pack.

Is the fan base changing and EA is trying to make a different game for the new players? Are they trying to innovate at any cost? Are the sales that high just because we are all buying things just trying to make the game acceptable?

I'm sorry but I'm getting tired. You're losing me. I really don't know how much longer I can support you EA, because you are letting me down. I just wanted you to know. This game is jut boring since the begining. Everything is just so limited, restricted, linear and only-once-play that I am so bored.

For those of you who are tempted to say that I should not state what people wants or does not want, It is my opinion and the way I feel and what I think people wants. I read many reviews and forums and the impression I get from all of them (MY impression) is that most of the new players like the game but the older ones, like myself, are mainly disappointed with this evolution of the game.

Maybe we should accept the game as it is. Maybe the game should change... or maybe it is dying... what do you think?

I actually love the new pack. I hope they make more like this. I have enjoyed it immensely to be honest. It was different and a refreshing change in my opinion. I go back to November of 1999 as I pre-tested the first Sims game and have gotten every pack they have ever made of all the 4 series - so definitely not a newbie - but a vet through and through.

I think it is just a matter of something new and different - and I do love new and different every now and then.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited March 2019

If I may repeat myself: the fact the fanbase has changed doesn’t mean it’s all new players. Of course there will be veteran players who like this kind of gameplay as well. It is different though, the whole approach is different (from open, creative and totally sandbox to more scripted and linear). It’s like a band you love that changes their musical style. Some will embrace it, some will hate it and a new crowd may be attracted by it. Same is happening here. But the people who don’t embrace it are right about one thing: something quite fundamental about this franchise, the open ended aspect of it, changed. And so the fanbase changes, that’s inevitable. The only thing that matters to EA is: will the group that embraces the change be big enough. Apparently it is. That doesn’t make it a right decision for those who don’t like the change though, nor does it mean they don’t like new and different in general. They just don’t like the way new and different was handled. In this particular case.

I wish people could just appreciate that that disappointed group wants to speak their mind about this too. It’s never about not granting others the fact they love the pack or denying them that right, it’s strictly about expressing their own worries and disappointment. I’d say Feedback is the place for that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I've been a member of this forum for 9 years, mostly lurking, but playing the Sims even longer (I owned Sims 1, played the Sims 2 on my friend's computer, owned Sims 3. I also have the Create-A-Sim Demo that came out right before the Sims 4 was released). Not that how long I've been playing makes me more of an expert on the subject, but I feel like people who unconditionally love the Sims 4 are often put down as "new players" who don't remember the good-ole-days.

I remember grinding just to get my Sims needs to not tank into the red. I remember the social bunny in my house all the time because I never had time to speak to a human. I remember back before the Sims games had weekends, when you had to go to work every day without a break. I remember my PC struggling to play the Sims 3 until eventually I couldn't play at all. My speed controls wouldn't work because of lag, so overnights while my Sims slept, and all day while they worked, I just sat and waited as the minutes ticked by. I couldn't open Create-A-Style without 5-10 mins of lag, per item I wanted to change. My heart almost broke when the Sims 4 was announced, surely my PC wouldn't be able to play that either.

But, it could. Playing was easy. Super-speed was a thing, so night-time and work-time passed in a flash, leaving me free to play the fun parts! Build mode was AMAZING, intuitive, easy, fast, and amazing graphics. Those were my first impressions, as a mid-range desktop PC owner.

The game did seem empty after a couple of hundred hours and I did shelve it for a while. I've shelved every game for a while at some point, some 10 hours in, some 500 hours in. But when I picked it up again a couple of years ago, the base game had been updated SO MUCH. Free toddlers, pools, objects, and now terrain tools. It motivated me to play and get caught up on buying packs. And all of a sudden I've got over 3,000 hours of gameplay and still love The Sims 4 so, so much.

I'm not a newbie who doesn't know any better, I'm not "putting up" with sub-par packs. I genuinely love it and appreciate the packs being kept streamlined so I can keep playing. I upgraded my CPU and graphics card last year (to play Arkham Knight) so I thought I'd try The Sims 3 again to see if it's more bearable when it runs better. The open world is still laggy as heck, Create-A-Style is filled with 100% ugly swatches and I forgot that Sims can't even multi-task. All your family is sitting around a table to eat, completely silent and all feeling lonely? They can't paint and listen to music, or use their cell phone on the toilet. It's still a lot of grinding as you fill each need one-by-one. I didn't see it as very fun, personally, compared to the fun I have with 4. And Sims 3 with one pack still runs worse than my Sims 4 game with ALL packs.

The Sims 4 is much less grindy in my opinion, most low needs cause an uncomfortable moodlet, but not impending doom, and when you can fill 2-3 needs at once it leaves a lot more time for creative gameplay.

And P.S. I love Strangerville. One play-through had my Sim at level 5 charisma and level 5 logic, with quite a few friends, without me even noticing or 'feeling the grind'. I think it's a great little story to start off with before settling into a career or having a family, and I can't wait for more story packs. I low-key love being possessed as I never had to worry about my needs lol. Yes, it had load screens. But Get Famous got me more used to a lot of travelling (I used to stay on one lot/neighbourhood as much as possible, GF motivated me to get out so I could be famous, and now I love taking my Sims to clubs, the gym, restaurants, etc).

I'm happy they have 3 more years of content planned out, I have a feeling the Sims 5 will be a rough transition for me and I may not take to it well! But if my computer can play it, I guarantee I will.

Thank you. I too went through all this from 2001, bought everything and forgave a lot. Some games suit different people and Sims 4 suits me. All I want are more terrain and building objects and tools.