Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Developers, You really did it this time.

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I'm enjoying it so far. The world is beautiful!

21ct3k.png
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I am having so much fun with this pack :) in the middle of it now.
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    I unfortunately only got to play for a couple of hours tonight since it was getting late, but there wasn’t 5 minutes where I didn’t find something new and giggle in excitement or joy! I’m absolutely loving this pack so far and it may end up being my new favourite!

Was it the quirkiness you liked or the scripted play, you know there is a huge difference and wondering what people are really enjoying. Did you like following tasks? or was it they put some humor back into the game?

It hasn’t really felt that scripted to me because I’ve been taking a slower place, but I think it’s the humor that has me hooked! Can’t wait to play again today and get back to the mystery!
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I'm really enjoying this. I love the cow plant skeleton on top of the curio shop -- it reminds me of a shop called something like "Stones and Bones" that my husband and I encountered when we drove along the Loneliest Highway in America -- in Nevada. In some ways this is what I hoped Strangetown would be when I picked it as my first world to play when I got TS2. I don't mind the storyline. I've read a lot of mysteries, and there's always stuff to find out and people to interview, and often dark places to visit in the middle of the night. What makes them interesting are the different characters involved. I'm providing the characters, and Strangerville adds a really pretty place to explore, so I'm happy.
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    I'm enjoying it also they did a good work on it.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I've been enjoying it too.

@Cinebar I liked the quirkiness they added and that the neighborhood felt distinct and unique because of it. The story was not "in your face" and something about it reminded me of TS2 in a very good way. Also, bugging Grim was the highlight of my night. I enjoyed that a lot more than I probably should have, though I kind of wish I didn't know this about him. LOL
    D0d-ETYWsAAcDIl.jpg:large
    D0d_KMNX0AUzCVY.jpg:large
    D0eAVwxXgAIrJzp.jpg:large
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    To me, it's not an 'either-or'. I was terribly disappointed that you couldn't play sandbox with Sims Medieval - I just wanted to build a medieval house and play a medieval life with my Sims, but you had to engage with the scripted elements. I can play this as a normal add-on for my game - I don't have to play the story. (I was tempted to try the new 'paranoid' trait, but it didn't really fit my concept of the Sim I was creating. It's still my game, my imagination.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • playermarko456playermarko456 Posts: 4,972 Member
    edited February 2019
    I love the StrangerVille Pack despite failing to complete the story; Sim got eaten alive by The Mother. Ouch! Yup, you heard right. New death. It occurs when you attempt multiple times to solo fight The Mother and fail.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I love the StrangerVille Pack despite failing to complete the story; Sim got eaten alive by The Mother. Ouch!

Hey you did sort of complete it... in one way :D Now you have sim memories..
    egTcBMc.png
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I love the StrangerVille Pack despite failing to complete the story; Sim got eaten alive by The Mother. Ouch! Yup, you heard right. New death. It occurs when you attempt multiple times to solo fight The Mother and fail.

And now you've got a great backstory for your next Sim who goes after The Mother -- he/she is the child, sweetheart, best friend of the one who died.
  • playermarko456playermarko456 Posts: 4,972 Member
    edited February 2019
    StrangerVille brought back memories of playing Sims 2. Over the top, weird, quirkiness was something that Sims 4 was lacking until this GP. For me, and this is my personal opinion, TS4 is trying too hard to emulate real life that it doesn't feel like a Sims game. Sure, Sims is a life simulation, but what would life be without a few crazy elements added into the mix?

I definitely see myself replaying the story because it doesn't feel scripted, you can still have a sandbox game, and while the story is short, it is enjoyable. The story gives the town a backstory/history. And, you can play the story in different ways. In another save, I have a Botanist Sim who revives The Mother and begins planting the bizarre plants in other towns allowing the infection to spread. A Simpocalypse if you will.

I wonder if The Mother is an object you can buy in Build/Buy. Would love to have one in every town. If we had some sort of world creating tool, I would love to make a world of The Mother's homeworld.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    To me the story doesn't feel too scripted. It's a little like playing a sims challenge: you have your goals and a set of guidelines, but nothing too constricting. Different branches would have been neat, maybe in future pack of the same scope we could get to choose between three factions to assist (for example police, old established mafia, newly emerging crime syndicate) each with their own aspiration.

On the other hand I feel that the aspiration was probably not a good idea. It spoilers some story elements and goads the player into clicking to achieve the goals just to grind the satisfaction points.

My only other gripe is I would have liked a fully fleshed out sparring system with a clear winner and dog tags as accessoires seperated from the shirts.
    I'm not playing it in a scripted manner either... I mean in Sims 2 you have Nervous Subject stuffing their face constantly. You have those weird events that happen if your sim bottoms out in their aspiration. You have cut scenes that you as the player might not agree should happen. It's a game. I'm enjoying it... and these scripted elements I'm using for my gameplay/stories or not depending. Besides I love these themes... grew up with them. It's easy to carve my sandbox stories around them also.
    I actually haven't done the very last part yet although I'm pretty sure of a few ways I can approach it right now. I might be surprised or might fail at it.
    It's also weird that seeing peoples pictures and actually being in game is miles apart to me.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited February 2019
    I unfortunately only got to play for a couple of hours tonight since it was getting late, but there wasn’t 5 minutes where I didn’t find something new and giggle in excitement or joy! I’m absolutely loving this pack so far and it may end up being my new favourite!

Was it the quirkiness you liked or the scripted play, you know there is a huge difference and wondering what people are really enjoying. Did you like following tasks? or was it they put some humor back into the game?

I liked the quirkiness, and loved that they added some humor and unpredictability. It's not a task list though like the GTW careers or the social events. It's absolutely designed to be woven into what ever story(ies) you decide to tell. You can complete it in 2 hours yes, but you can also take your time and stretch it out for days or weeks if you wish. If you decide not to interact with the story of truly isn't going to push its way into your game. They really did do a good job of making it versatile and moldable for the player to integrate it or not into their own stories and I personally can see how it can be replayed a multitude of ways. I think the only real limit that people put in this game is the limits they put on the scope of their own imaginations.

Edit: multiple spelling errors.
    Post edited by Pamtastic72 on
  • KolbyKolby Posts: 1,126 Member
    I was genuinely surprised at the effort put into this pack and hope they continue to match that in future content. However, they do seriously need to bust out some bugs that are plaguing people's games.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Think it'll take me forever to get to "Mother". Enjoying the world, the people, the career.....etc. It ties in nicely with my current alien sims that collects ancient artifacts from Selvaradora..
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • LishacakeLishacake Posts: 296 Member
    I thought the finale to the story was fantastic. Very much enjoyed the strategy elements it incorporated, and thought it was really fun. Major props to the sims team, I thoroughly enjoyed this pack. c:
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I wouldn't say I exactly hate this pack because I love the town and the content of the pack I am just not that keen on the story driven part to make the town normal. It doesn't seem like an actual sandbox game if you have to follow a story to make the town normal. Even though I haven't completed the story it takes to much time out of my sims days to go to work see friends work on skills and then on the side solve a mystery.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    I love it. I'm starting a new save in order to play through it again with a different sim. From the pictures I've seen there were a few occurrences that I missed the first time. Or maybe I should just
    reinfect the town
    and play one of the infected households.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

Why people are so critical of others enjoying it.This pack was not meant for everyone.Im okay if some sims packs are story base.Why still most are not.Not everything has to be black or white here.

hmm looked like genuine questions to me. I don't see @Cinebar being critical at all. Why do people always think someone is being critical when they are asking questions? I literally have to write I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know when I ask questions on this forum most times.
  • WndblwzWndblwz Posts: 368 Member
    I'm replaying now (3rd round) with some of the EA-made characters, really focusing on the weirdness. An aside: I soooo wish I could have those gorgeous trailers in my active play.
    Wow, I've been training my sim on the new bot thing when he had time and I thought it was so fun (and is) so I never tried the sparring until now.
    Well frickin' done! I mean I liked the marching.. that was good but the sparring. Sheesh. I could do this frequently for grins.
    Gives me hope for slow dance animations and the like, maybe tai chi or an expanded martial arts.
    I also like how you can try to recruit other sims into the military ect. Not sure if it goes anywhere yet but enjoying the different interactions your military sim can have with others immensely.

I'm watching like Hi-Yah! You going down Green Man!
    2r2nhp5.png
    9zx0ro.png

And the world is..
    This is my fave pack hands down. That's all.
    egTcBMc.png
  • MasheedaMasheeda Posts: 19 Member
    Question - are you able to turn the zombies off? I would like the career, the laptop and the town but I could careless about sims walking around like they are zombies. If you can't turn it off, once you complete the story, does the zombie nature go away?
    edited March 2019
    Masheeda wrote: »
    Question - are you able to turn the zombies off? I would like the career, the laptop and the town but I could careless about sims walking around like they are zombies. If you can't turn it off, once you complete the story, does the zombie nature go away?

In this thread there is a post by @simgirl1010 on how to do that. If you do complete the story all is gone, or you can do it with cheats. I don't think you have the same weirdness in the skies and stuff though. I haven't tested yet...I like it at maximum strange.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16978077#Comment_16978077
    egTcBMc.png
  • doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    I hope someone makes a poll to ask those who like this if they would trade in (discontinue) life simulator/open-ended/sandbox GP packs or EPs for more of scripted story play. And if they want TS5 to work like that, too.

No to this, I want more Parenthoods that actually give more personality to the sims and give something for teens and kids to do.