Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on Strangerville?

Comments

• AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    Aine wrote: »
    I'm going to stop you there.Aparenty I don't care about the franchise.Because I really don't see the problem with this or don't agree with you .Buddy I been playing these games for years.I basically bought every sims 3 pack,and buy the ones I like with four.I play every game.No I will not be upset because one pack.That has the option for a story.That your not force to play.If you don't like pack like these than don't buy it.But it dosen't make you a better simmer.
    What right have you to 'stop me'? I'd love to see you try, darling. ;) In NO WAY was I saying I'm a better simmer nor that you're a bad one. I'm glad you enjoy the pack, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be worried about Maxis releasing a pack like this IMO. That's MY opinion, and I'm entitled to have it and express it, thank you very much. Neither did I say anywhere that I don't play the game, or that I don't want to. On the contrary, it's because I WANT to play the game and enjoy it that I wrote what I wrote. Just because I have a different approach to the game doesn't mean I'M a bad simmer either. And no, I probably won't buy this pack, but that's not my main point. Even if you DO like the pack, you should still tell maxis that this is not okay, because it's really not okay. IMO. My opinion. Cheers. <3

Oh okay, I'm not worried about a pack like these. Because I don't see these packs replacing non story packs.
    I hope you're right about that. Even so, I'm quite worried about the inconsistent quality of the game as of late. I'm worried the dev team isn't getting enough resources. I just love the Sims so much, and I have so much hopes and dreams for the game. I hope you understand.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Interesting and intriguing - nice to see something new
    I have played through a bit of the story and enjoy it a lot :)

This time it is as a brand new recruit for the military, next time I will probably have a sim lvl up in the writer career until reaching reporter and then send the reporter sim to StrangeVille. Uncovering strange doings and sitting at home writing about it.
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    This time it is as a brand new recruit for the military, next time I will probably have a sim lvl up in the writer career until reaching reporter and then send the reporter sim to StrangeVille. Uncovering strange doings and sitting at home writing about it.

And yet, the story will play out exactly the same way until the end when you get ONE choice. It isn't like the pack has multiple mysteries, branching paths or anything like that. The story is also grindy and riddled with clichés and tropes.

• FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    I have played through a bit of the story and enjoy it a lot :)

I love this idea. Also, there are different ways to play the mystery. I do not want to post spoilers but I am thinking of making a new friend on a new playthrough.

I really like how there are so many different ways to discover various aspects of the Story. It is very flexible. (trying to be vague )
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Naus wrote: »

And yet, the story will play out exactly the same way until the end when you get ONE choice. It isn't like the pack has multiple mysteries, branching paths or anything like that. The story is also grindy and riddled with clichés and tropes.

It is still my sim reacting to it, and that makes it different for me. How I chose to use StrangeVille in my saves

- military brat growing up in safe Windenburg and then moving to StrangeVille as a teen. After that traumatic experience the sim ages up to a paranoid YA
    - a sim saw something, something that shouldn’t be seen. Currently on the run from the military and hides out in San Myshuno
    - a newly married couple with a kid on the way moves to StrangeVille. He just got a job in the military and was stationed there. They start arguing a lot because she doesn’t feel safe there at all

This is just how my mind works, I like using bits and bobs to make my own story and this has some really good opportunities for me. I had a save about settling a new planet running in the island of Windenburg for weeks. No electricity and they had to grow their own food. Had excel sheets with what they needed to do to unlock new equipment, what was needed for a new settler to join them. Pure sandbox joy. Doesn’t mean that a little bit of story won’t work for me.

If you feel limited by the story then I am sorry, that doesn’t sound fun. Personally I am having a great time imagining different possible challenges. Hope the next pack is more to your liking and have a good time playing.

Cheers!
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited February 2019
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    After seeing the info, some videos & reviews, I think my final thoughts are "meh." :/ I love the world, it's gorgeous and it's so nice to have a game pack with a larger world than any game pack has ever had. I like the military career too, I have missed having that in my game. The content seems pretty cool, but I'm giving major side eye at a "laptop" that is basically just a new mesh of the desktop. I'm waffling on the story stuff. It sounds interesting in theory, but the play through seems a little task grindy to me (talk to x sims, make x items, gather x things, etc.). Not really my thing. And I really don't want these new story type of packs to become the latest fad of the game and my preferred sandbox style to languish in future packs. I suppose I'll have to wait and see on that.

To be able to have more lots & more build/buy for my sims, and to occasionally play the story I'll probably eventually get the pack. But I'm definitely waiting for a sale. For my preferred style of play, StrangerVille is worth more like $10. In comparison, Parenthood was worth the full $20 for how it enriched my playing.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Interesting idea but looks weirdly executed
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Honestly, overall I'm very confused over people's expectations for their pack. Some people seem to think the storyline should've been a Dragon Age style game for 20 bucks tied to a game like the sims.

It's.... a 20 dollar game pack. Comparing it to the other game packs, it's awesome with a lot more basic content (a new world with just as many lots as a expansion and nearly twice as many as any other game pack world, a BUNCH of amazing CAS and build/buy objects with new functionality, and a storyline that story simmers can have a blast with if it fits their theme).

I don't know. I just feel like a lot of simmers are just... expecting each expansion pack and game pack to be the next savior of the game. I, personally, didn't join in on Sims 4 until both toddlers came about and then outfits and make up were unlocked for all genders. I will defend the sims 2 as the most important game in the series until the day I day, but.... the sims 4 is not and will never be the Sims 2. It's it's own thing. And being forced to play it for 2 years while my old computer crashed and all my mods from sims 2 had to be salvaged, it made me really appreciate it for what it was.

It's a fun, quirky, lighthearted game that does some cool and weird and interesting things and like. Let's face it. It will never have the design philosophy of Sims 2.

So yeah anyway Strangerville is my fav gamepack due to vibe, items, and world and the storyline is fun and goofy and has some amazing details.

The "story-mode" is what makes me dislike it. Sims is supposed to be a sandbox game WITHOUT a forced story within it. This pack just proved that the player no longer rules if there is a story mode within the game.

Aren't you overreacting a bit.This is not the first time they did this.The sim life stories, pssp,and console games did this as well.This is not a new base game.Thid is just a small game pack who do like quests. Your not force to play it or buy it.

It is the first time they did this within the life simulator main game for pc. No, I'm sorry, I don't think it's just a game pack. I think it says they are tired of building packs to broaden a life simulator and they would enjoy more building story scripted packs. At least that is the vibe I got.
    It also says to me, no this isn't just a pack, but a change in direction if they make enough money on it, and maybe the last GPs of this game before it ends winds up being more story driven packs. They have said, yes, they will do more (I assume that means if it sells well, not if people enjoy it, but if it brings in some heavy cash.) A change in what they wanted to build also tells me they want to change direction. But for the life simulator players it means the death of the franchise in a way we didn't even think they would even consider. It doesn't broaden the lives of the Sims, it doesn't broaden the experience of life, but a stand-alone pack that just may change this game forever. Especially, if it makes enough money.

Yes if they sell more. We get some packs like this. I don't see a problem with this your not force yo do the story or buy it.There not planing to replace all sandbox add one with story mode.Judt that they probably do a few of these gamepacks in the future

But if players wanted other things like witches, or a supernatural EP or whatever, they may decide no, we did well with story driven packs so let's make more. We don't know what another story driven pack would cause to not be made.

Dude because some story pack will be made in the future .Does not mean we are never get supernatural or any other none story pack.I don't see of them get rid of sandbox.That will be a bad move.The sandbox add ons are still popular.I don't think they are going make that many of theses .

I believe some are looking at the value of paying an fee for games like this and Strangerville is and play once and forget for me. The neighborhood is nothing more than an prop or carrot to sell the game and I look at all angles when it comes to me parting with my money. I have no qualms about playing an hybrid game but it has to have more than one playthrough than one. some are waiting for that half off sale so they can get at an cheaper price or what they feel is the game real value is.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Alright folks I'm going to have to post this here like I've had to post in a few of these threads already. This is not the place to discuss future gamepacks or possible future expansions this thread is to discuss Strangerville, lets keep it that way.

Also I'm noticing a lot of posts that are bordering on bait and come across as derogatory so I'm going to stress this again. If you don't like the gamepack that is fine, other people do like it that is also fine. Just because you like to play the game one way does not make that the only correct way to enjoy the game and if you don't like something discussing it is fine, but claiming that your playstyle is the only one that is correct and that anyone who did like it is "making excuses" isn't acceptable.

Keep it respectful going forward please, I'll be keeping an eye in here to make sure it stays on topic.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Very random pack they decided to hand out, I don't think it's something people were expecting or were asking for but if people happy with this pack and think it's fun then so be it.
    giphy.gif

• loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    Honestly I absolutely LOVE the idea of implementing side stories and mysteries to solve into The Sims. To me it doesn't spoil the life simulation aspect of it, at all. On the contrary, you can still create your own stories, while using the world's back story to make the experience even more immersive and complex. I love researching history and solving mysteries... so of course, my sims do, too. And it doesn't stop me from creating my own backstories when I feel like it.

However I have to question the execution of this GP. The entire gameplay of it can be visited in about two hours. Why make a mystery pack, add in a listening device, a paranoid trait, etc. only to add ONE mystery?!
    They could at least have created multiple scenarios. Even if they restricted it to Strangerville, there could at least have written different sequences and outcomes so that it is not exactly the same each time we play it.
    But most importantly, those gameplay aspects could have been extended to the rest of the game. They could have added the ability to research information about any town/sim at the library. The ability to learn info about other sims while placing bugs on them, like little drama bits, or opportunities for our sim.

Also I don't understand their decision to stop the sim's needs from moving at a certain point in the investigation. Are we not allowed to attend to their needs, work on other aspects of their life, while solving the mystery? Do we have to solve it as quickly as possible? Were you scared this GP would take too much of our time away from reality? :D
    At this price I would rather buy a good 10-hour long mystery game to be honest.
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Freyga, if the new friend is the one I am think of, you can make that new friend even if you have solved the mystery and made Strangerville normal.
  • FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    Bronwin2 wrote: »
    Freyga, if the new friend is the one I am think of, you can make that new friend even if you have solved the mystery and made Strangerville normal.

Thank you very much!!! : )

• MRSMEADOWBROOKMRSMEADOWBROOK Posts: 59 Member
    I find the strange walking style of affected Sims in StrangerVille offensive to real people who may suffer from real neurological disorders (such as Huntingdon's Disease, MSA, Ataxia, Dystonia, etc.) with real symptoms such as myoclonus. What were the EA developers thinking? It is a mockery of people who have disabilities. Couldn't the developers just have made the Sims' affliction be that they are zebra-striped or something?
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I find the strange walking style of affected Sims in StrangerVille offensive to real people who may suffer from real neurological disorders (such as Huntingdon's Disease, MSA, Ataxia, Dystonia, etc.) with real symptoms such as myoclonus. What were the EA developers thinking? It is a mockery of people who have disabilities. Couldn't the developers just have made the Sims' affliction be that they are zebra-striped or something?

Are you being sarcastic? Do you find all zombie-like representations in the media offensive?

Jesus, I really don't get people sometimes :joy: I don't think they were thinking of people with those diseases at all, let alone mocking them.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member

just stop
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

I imagine that they devs were thinking that.....
    ....the people were "disabled" because they were under the psychic control of a sentient plant-monster born in a secret laboratory with designs on global domination.

I think you're reading too much into it, as people with Huntington's Disease, MSA, Ataxia, Dystonia, etc, don't talk about visions of an impending utopia if we embrace a shadowy "mother" figure.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    To me comparing it .. well I am sorry if you can't get a pack/assets because it bothers you @MRSMEADOWBROOK .. I agree that would be frustrating. Vampires are still frustrating to me with the break-ins even though mostly I can ignore it.

However, there are simmers though that want this sort of thing in our games. I do. That is just the way it is. They should cater to different play-styles and tastes within the rating boundaries. I'm a horror sci-fi fan and I don't watch any of that stuff thinking they are making fun of real life conditions over it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Honestly, overall I'm very confused over people's expectations for their pack. Some people seem to think the storyline should've been a Dragon Age style game for 20 bucks tied to a game like the sims.

It's.... a 20 dollar game pack. Comparing it to the other game packs, it's awesome with a lot more basic content (a new world with just as many lots as a expansion and nearly twice as many as any other game pack world, a BUNCH of amazing CAS and build/buy objects with new functionality, and a storyline that story simmers can have a blast with if it fits their theme).

I don't know. I just feel like a lot of simmers are just... expecting each expansion pack and game pack to be the next savior of the game. I, personally, didn't join in on Sims 4 until both toddlers came about and then outfits and make up were unlocked for all genders. I will defend the sims 2 as the most important game in the series until the day I day, but.... the sims 4 is not and will never be the Sims 2. It's it's own thing. And being forced to play it for 2 years while my old computer crashed and all my mods from sims 2 had to be salvaged, it made me really appreciate it for what it was.

It's a fun, quirky, lighthearted game that does some cool and weird and interesting things and like. Let's face it. It will never have the design philosophy of Sims 2.

So yeah anyway Strangerville is my fav gamepack due to vibe, items, and world and the storyline is fun and goofy and has some amazing details.

The "story-mode" is what makes me dislike it. Sims is supposed to be a sandbox game WITHOUT a forced story within it. This pack just proved that the player no longer rules if there is a story mode within the game.

Aren't you overreacting a bit.This is not the first time they did this.The sim life stories, pssp,and console games did this as well.This is not a new base game.Thid is just a small game pack who do like quests. Your not force to play it or buy it.

Yes, but I didn't play those.
    The difference here is that to get access to the CAS and Build items we need to buy the entire pack. I didn't miss out on furniture in Sims 2 if I didn't buy URBZ.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Tenchi2aTenchi2a Posts: 105 Member
    edited March 2019
    Why are EA not giving us babies that are not objects or university
    To put it bluntly, EA is doing what they have done in most of their other game.
    They are slowly reducing the content of games/packs trying to sell us less product for the same price.
    Pets vs Cat & Dogs, Late Night vs City living, World Adventures vs Jungle Adventure .
    Then using some gimmick to try an convince us that its worth it.
    They have done it with Star wars, most of their sports games ,etc.
    If this does even halfway decent, I expect them to make this a regular thing.
    And have an ever decreasing amount of content in pack down the road.
    Now just to be clear, I will be the first to say that some of the thing that where cut (Open world, color wheels, etc) where good for the game as they fixed a lot of lag problems, allow the game to work on lower level computers.

In answer to the why do they have to bring back things from the past game.
    If you are going to make a reboot/next entree (2/3/4) then you need to improve upon what came before.
    The biggest issues with Sims 4 has been that from the start it has either been missing items or backtracked to lesser version of what has come before.
    This is in no way an improvement so, why does Sims 4 exist.
    Well the answer is: To make money by having everyone buy the same stuff over again.
    And if they can do it for less and with less work they will.
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited March 2019
    I'll be honest here. I was a bit sceptical when I saw the trailer, the gameplay video, and some of the YouTubers' early access stuff. I'm really into thrillers, horror stories, and fantasy books and films in real life, so the idea intrigued me, but I was a bit worried about the execution. But I had some money to spare, so I decided to give it a try. And I really liked it!

To all of you who believe that it's a one-time only mystery, believe me, there are ways you can play it more than once and it isn't as boring as it looks from the outside. It may get a bit more boring in a few months time, but I know I'll be eager to go back to it. Happy Simming, everyone!
    Post edited by gothprincess4ever on
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Tenchi2a wrote: »
    They are slowly reducing the content of games/packs trying to sell us less product for the same price.
    Pets vs Cat & Dogs, Late Night vs City living, World Adventures vs Jungle Adventure .
    Now just to be clear, I will be the first to say that some of the thing that where cut (Open world, color wheels, etc) where good for the game as they fixed a lot of lag problems, allow the game to work on lower level computers.

If you are going to make a reboot/next entree (2/3/4) then you need to improve upon what came before.
    The biggest issues with Sims 4 has been that from the start it has either been missing items or backtracked to lesser version of what has come before.
    Well the answer is: To make money by having everyone buy the same stuff over again.

Disagree. Sims 3 was the foray in to making as much money as possible while offering as little as possible.
  • Tenchi2aTenchi2a Posts: 105 Member
    edited March 2019
    Why are EA not giving us babies that are not objects or university
    fullspiral wrote: »

Disagree. Sims 3 was the foray in to making as much money as possible while offering as little as possible.

It is your right to disagree with my point, the truth is I don't disagree that Sims 3 was a money making factory (stuff pack :( ).
    But what you fail to address is while Sims 3 did this it also offered twice the content for the money per expansion/pack then Sims 4 has ever had. And Sims 4 was missing key items that have been in each entry of the Sim (2,3,4) since they where introduced.
    Sim 4 has also tried to reduce the content of a expansion/pack then try to sell the missing items as a separate pack (My First Pet Stuff).
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I agree we are getting less for more. Like you say let’s vs cats and dogs. Get to work vs ambitions. I don’t see how that be can argued. The game is being sliced and diced for more money. (Who ever thought we would have to pay for laundry or for bowling separately)
  • zubop81zubop81 Posts: 23 Member
    Played the story-line yesterday and loved it! It was kind of a nice change from how I usually play.
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    edited March 2019
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    fullspiral wrote: »

100% Disagree. The Sims 4 splits content that was previously included in expansioo packs or the base game and sells it as stuff packs or game packs:

STUFF PACKS:
    • Luxury Party added a buffet table. It's a base game object in TS2 and 3.
    • Perfect Patio added hot tubs. It's a base game object in TS2 and it was reintroduced in TS3 Late Night EP.
    • Cool Kitchen added an ice cream machine. A machine was included with TS3 Seasons (and there's a different one you can buy at TS3 Store).
    • Spooky Stuff added pumpkin carvin. It was included in TS3 Seasons.
    • Romantic Garden added a wishing well. It was included in TS2 Seasons; and a big fountain, which was included in TS2 University and TS3 base game.
    • Backyard Stuff added a slip 'n slide. It was part of TS3 Generations EP.
    • Vintage Glamour added vanity tables and a butler. Vanity Tables were included in TS2 University; and butlers in TS2 Apartment Life and TS3 Late Night.
    • Bowling Night added bowling lanes. This object was included in TS2 Nightlife and TS3 University Life.
    • Laundry Day added laundry equipment. It was included in TS3 Ambitions (except the washtub).
    • My First Pet added rodents. Rodents were part of TS2 and 3 Pets.

GAME PACKS:
    • Outdoor Retreat added campfires, horseshoe pits and tents. Campfires were included in TS2 Bon Voyage and TS3 base game (fire pits). Horseshoe pits appear in TS3 Seasons, and tents in TS2 Bon Voyage and TS3 World Adventures.
    • Spa Day added spa facilities. Spas were included with TS2 Bon Voyage (massage table, thermal waters, sauna).
    • Dine Out added restaurants and restaurant management, features included in TS2 Nightlife and TS2 Open for Business respectively.
    • Vampires added vampires, which were part of TS2 Nightlife and TS3 Late Night/Supernatural. This is a case in which they radically expanded the gameplay of vampires. Kudos to them. It's the exception, not the rule.
    • StrangerVille added laptops, included in TS3 base game; lava lamps, included in TS2 Base Game and TS3 Generations; and a training dummy, which was included in World Adventures.

NOTE: This isn't an opinion. It's a facts. Most features introduced with Game Packs and Stuff Packs in TS4 were included with EPs in previous versions. Only a few of them have been expanded to justify asking for an extra $10/20. The only SPs which offer completely new gameplay elements are Kids Room and Toddler Stuff.