Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the "perfect" length for videos?

This is my first post on the forums, I hope I don't get anyone mad :/
Ok, the question is, how long should a video be for it to be the perfect length? Others have told me that a video should be somewhere along 10-15 minutes long, but is this really true? Let's discuss! :D

Comments

• Options
    mikaelahollymikaelaholly Posts: 46 Member
    I don’t think there’s a “perfect” length per day. I think what matters most is you are keeping your audience entertained. For example, I like to tell engaging stories when I’m doing voice overs for my speed builds to try to keep my audience engaged. When I do Let’s Plays, I try to keep each episode about 30 minutes long so it’s not too long, but also not too short
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited January 2019
    Depends on the format and content, and of course on the viewer, too. I imagine some likes to relax with a cup of tea/coffee watching some good vids, and if they like your content, 30 minutes is not a problem. Others watch on the phone on the bus, not really interesting in watching a long film from start to end, so for them even 3 minutes might be enough, before they jump to another vid.

I currently produce a soap series with 22 min episodes, but I also make some 6 mintes How I Play vids. It's difficult to say if viewers watch the entire episode, because they might watch just 5 mins, then come back later to watch the rest. In the statics I guess it will mean 2 views of less than the full video.

I don't do Lets Play or Speed Build, but those I think can be 20-30 minutes and up. Nobody would watch them and expect just a 5 minutes vid.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited January 2019
    @Trippey_D You got a yt channel?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Trippey_DTrippey_D Posts: 25 Member
    @Trippey_D You got a yt channel?

Yes I do! Subscribe at YouTube.com/TrippeyD

• Options
    DDirectorDDirector Posts: 35 Member
    I see, you create a "Let's play" series. So "the best" length of videos is 20-40 minites. But remember, length is not most important thing. Most important thing is what you doing on this videos. I watched once "let's play" from the sims 4, his length was equal 30 minutes, but the youtuber don't know what to do on this video. Other youtuber made a sims 4 videos (10 minutes length), but he used to modify the video (add funny sound, camera's zoom, etc.). And, for serious, the second youtuber was better for me. I hope you understand, because english is not my native language... :)
  • Options
    ShadowPhoenix21ShadowPhoenix21 Posts: 141 Member
    I always aim for the 20minute mark.
  • Options
    SimmerBoiSimmerBoi Posts: 134 Member
    I love music video machinimas, so I usually like short videos (5-6 minutes long) but when it's a more "complex" story it can also be 10-15 minutes long and I don't mind. The Bella Goth one by Rémi Marocelli is about 18 minutes and it's a blast. So yeah, I don't think there's a set rule for video lenght, as long as it's well done and entertaining.
  • Options
    NovaBelladonnaNovaBelladonna Posts: 58 Member
    I typed out a long explanation and deleted it... but my best LP episodes are less than 9 minutes long. The shorter ones are better planned and edited well. The longer ones are when I sort of winged it, which can sometimes turn out well, buuuut I'm more pleased with the shorter ones. Cutting down an hour or so of gameplay into an 8 minute video means you're usually getting the best bits!

I watched 15-30 minute LPs before I bought the game, but now that I own it myself I'd rather play it than watch that long an LP. I want to watch someone do something different to me and something clever, and I want the boring bits edited out.

Though I've only got 22 subs. People with hundreds/thousands of subs have 20+minute videos so... maybe do long ones if you want more subs and watch time? hahaha
    For a let's play about a vampire who wants to take over the world, check out my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmFyY60q4J0PJNKCePjVG8g
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I try my hardest to stay under 35 minutes. I have even started setting a timer to try and keep on track. I'm doing well with Sims Medieval, but Get Famous, it's hovering around 45 minutes on average. And that's after editing. lol I just get so sucked into gameplay.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    ctthomasctthomas Posts: 136 Member
    I don't make videos; I just watch them.

But I agree with other posters. It's more important that your content is entertaining. Assuming it is, I like to watch LPs that are about 25 minutes, or so, long. To me, it seems equivalent to watching an episode of South Park on Netflix, or something.
  • Options
    FinnadoraFinnadora Posts: 87 Member
    I feel like the longest I really like are >35 minutes but the best length for a video depends on the type. I think building videos are best at >10 minutes and many of the more soap opera ones >15. Let's Play and challenges like the legacy and 100 baby are ones that are more acceptable at a longer length, though as someone said above, a lot of it depends on the person and if they can make it interesting. Some people might have a 10 minute video that drags on while another person has a video that 30 minutes and goes by in a flash because they're funny or interesting.
  • Options
    brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    I don't make videos but I watch a lot of youtubers doing the Sims, I think it depends on the content really(and how irritating their voices are lol) . I've been caught up in Captain Sauces Sims videos and his go for about 15-25 minutes(his videos are honestly like a television drama/comedy series, there is SO much effort put into creating these videos that I could watch an hour of them..have actually binge watched 148 over a few weeks lol)...I don't enjoy watching a long speed build, but I will watch speed builds.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Most LPers I watch make videos 15-25 minutes long. I think that's a good length depending on the content.
  • Options
    Parki67Parki67 Posts: 32 Member
    If you make a video between 15 and 30 minutes long it generally fits into people's lunch break. I think if this is what you are shooting for the optimal timing is about a 20 minute video.
  • Options
    Slayer_RoseSlayer_Rose Posts: 56 Member
    When I am watching a youtube vid on the sims i like them to be more like 15-30 minutes - usually because im watching them when i'm getting ready in the morning etc and want something that will last the whole time so I don't have to keep searching for more content i'm interested in.
  • Options
    ClassicSimsClassicSims Posts: 49 Member
    For Sims gameplays, I love 30 minutes + videos. They keep me interested and I get super engaged in what they're doing :smile:
  • Options
    miandallasmiandallas Posts: 22 Member
    Thank you so much for this! I'm starting a machinima series, and this is one of the issues I'm still worried about. I'm trying to keep my episodes between 15-20 minutes, so editing will be a challenge! As for watching, most of the LPs I watch are between 20-40 minutes, 10 minutes for speed builds. If I'm watching stuff on Youtube, I'm there for the long haul and usually multitasking, so longer lengths don't really bother me so much...
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    10-25 minutes long.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    SinnoraSinnora Posts: 28 Member
    YA dumayu chto samoye luchshe vremya eto 5 -7 minut
    44/5000
    I think the best time is 5-7 minutes.
  • Options
    KittyPiczozKittyPiczoz Posts: 7 New Member
    I think for cas and (small) speed builds maybe nothing over 10 minutes.For lets plays I think nothing over 25 minutes or 30 min. max. I just started making videos on my channel (KristenKilla) but, I dunno thats what I see other small youtubers doing (they seem to get a lot of views).
  • Options
    nufusimsnufusims Posts: 41 Member
    Depends on what kind of video and the editing - personally I get bored if a CAS focused video is longer than 10 minutes but if the youtuber is energetic and funny, then I could watch an hour of it!
  • Options
    whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    The human attention span is your age -2 minutes and caps at an average of 20 minutes. So if your target audience is 15, 13 minute videos are "perfect". 20 minutes is about right for me personally, but I agree there is no true "perfect" length. It depends on the video type, style, and how engaged I am.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I like short videos, 1 to 4 minutes.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    ang803ang803 Posts: 20 Member
    As a viewer, I prefer videos that are around the 30 minute mark, I don't like it when videos feel cut off, or rushed, and anything longer than that is hard for me to watch in one sitting.