Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Avoiding the storyline in Strangerville - Looking for advice and answers (No spoilers)

CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
I am someone who is very squicked out by what I have come across of the Strangerville storyline. I know my limits and frankly, the gameplay will take me into places I’m not going to enjoy. No disrespect to anyone who enjoys it--it is just definitely not my jam.

However, I really, really like what I’ve seen of the CAS and the build items so I’d like to get the pack.

But I have questions:
  1. Is it possible to turn off the storyline without ever playing any of it? Like any of it?
  2. If so, how? I am open to cheats/mods.
  3. Will I have to do this per save?
  4. If I can turn off the storyline,
    do those plants specific to the pack
    stick around?

Assuming I never put my sims in Strangerville,
  1. Does the storyline leak into other worlds?
  2. Will those
    plants specific to the pack show up in other worlds? (For instance, I often have sims who go about harvesting plants and such and would hate to have to stop that because those Strangerville plants show up in another world).
  3. Do I have to deal with the impacted sims in other worlds?
  4. Oh, and if I put a sim in the military career, does it require me to deal with the Strangerville storyline?

Thanks so much!
Post edited by CommaSplice on

Comments

• LissyK9LissyK9 Posts: 205 Member
    Hi @CommaSplice! I played at least 5 hours in strangerville yesterday but I haven't touched the mystery story yet. I have to play my family for a while to set up the story that I want to tell. So far, the weirdness hasn't really affected much. The welcome wagon is weirder than normal, but once you get past that all that happens is that there are stranger plant in the neighborhood and a few possessed sims wandering around. It seems like you don't have to interact with any of it if you don't want to. I haven't had any strange weather, and I made a club with a native strangerville sim, and they were totally normal during the club gathering. I also haven't played in any of the other worlds since downloading the new pack though, I'm trying to take my time and enjoy the new story while also not messing with the rest worlds until I know what the storyline requires to function. I hope this helps!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited February 2019
    Yes you can play the military career without any involvement.
    Don't chose the aspiration or follow it to the next level. I think you can progress without doing the aspiration but you have to do some digging to do so.
    The strangerville plants will not just appear in any other worlds.. I haven't tried it but guess you can bring them there and make use of what they do but you don't want to do that anyway :). The plants in strangerville stay at starter level until you progress the story.

No mods yet but I'm sure there will be one very soon.
    egTcBMc.png
  • CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    Okay, these are both very helpful answers. Thanks so much!
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    I also have a question regarding this and I don't want to create a new thread when this one exists...

I have over 20 household and I can't decide which household to start on the storyline just yet so I am glad to find out from this thread that I don't have to start the storyline just yet. But I am curious of two things?

The minor effects from the storyline; does it crop up in other neighbourhoods/worlds like Willow Creek or the city or is the strangeness limited to Strangerville itself?

Is it possible to accidentally start the storyline? As I am an accidental prone in both RL and in gaming environment :frowning::blush: ...anything I have to avoid?
  • infinidragoninfinidragon Posts: 1 New Member
    Wanted to get more detailed answers on this as well as I wanted the pack stuff but not the story.

Can someone confirm outright that all the unusual stuff with the plants and Sims are contained exclusively in Strangerville unless you start the story? Do you see any of it (and I do literally mean ANY of it, right down to Sims acting weird if they didn't prior to the pack) in other towns if you don't participate in the story?

It'll determine whether I go with this pack since I want the items (laptops in particular) but don't want anything super unrealistic starting up in my world (I turned off abductions via mods, never go into space or downloaded Vampires, avoid the Jungle in Jungle Adventures for examples of what I mean).

I want as close to realistic Sims as possible, anyone who can answer this would be awesome.
  • dctf344dctf344 Posts: 21 Member
    @infinidragon I played through the story and completed it, Strangerville is now a nice normal town. Prior to completing it though I didn't notice any of the plants or weird sims in other towns. They were walking around Strangerville, but didn't interact with my sim other than the initial welcome wagon.
    GHNQUEs.png
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I have seen sims in other towns that are marked as conspiracy theorists, military and scientists but nobody is acting strange. The first strangeness for me didnt come until I was part way through the storyline.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    when the game starts, there are 3 infected sims (all three of them are premades) and if you continue along, the number slowly rises, but other the initial three, they're all spawned townies. spoiler about the townie jobs and infection below
    and it seems by the end of the storyline, every single member of the strangerville military (a hidden trait) is infected. which makes sense. i've had strangerville scientists and even a strangerville 'mib' agent infected before finished the story the first time. but never any conspiracy theorists)

the strangerville military, strangerville scientists, strangerville conspiracy theorists, and strangerville agents (these are all both jobs and hidden traits) can and will wander through other towns, but shouldn't have any of the story-related interactions available (i've actually had my sims go to dinner with one who invited them out, then took her back to strangerville just to complete a step of the story since couldn't do it at the restaurant)

i haven't seen any of the infected sims outside strangerville, but it really was only the three premades at the time, so small chance out of the 600 or so sims in my game that they'd be picked to do a walkby somewhere...

as for the story itself, as long as you avoid any of the interactions in the 'strangerville' header for conversations (at first, this is just 'talk about strangerville') you'll never start the story. though the story also only goes into overdrive once you visit the secret lab and start poking around there. so that's another thing to avoid (unless you want to complete the story quickly just to turn the town totally normal)

the infected sims might be your welcome wagon if you move into the town and, if so, they might do some creepy things that get the 'mib' to show up, but that's it. spoiler about that below
    if you have planters on your lot when you first move into strangerville, the infected welcome wagon will plant bizarre fruit there, and they'll put one in your fridge too. if either of these happen, the 'mib' show up, remove the plants from the planters and confiscate the fridge if it's got a fruit in it. they leave a note about the fridge. and if you have the 'private residence' lot trait, neither the welcome wagon nor the mib will show up on your lot, no matter what you do

• CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    dctf344 wrote: »
    @infinidragon I played through the story and completed it, Strangerville is now a nice normal town. Prior to completing it though I didn't notice any of the plants or weird sims in other towns. They were walking around Strangerville, but didn't interact with my sim other than the initial welcome wagon.

I don't want to play through it at all and I don't want any of those
    weird alien plants
    anywhere that I can see. So if that's going to happen, then I think I have my answer and will have to forego purchasing the pack.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Is there any way I could opt out of the story altogether? It just seems so boring to me,and I just want to play Strangerville as a normal neighborhood.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    You might want to have someone confirm this, as I can't remember where I saw it, but I'm pretty sure a dev said the story will not bleed out at all into other cities (maybe you get messages from sims wanting to investigate? I wouldn't be surprised if they forgot to mention that, but they are easy enough to ignore, right?). So if all you want is the CAS, build/buy items and military career, you can just pretend the GP didn't come with a world and story, I guess. Just don't go in Strangerville. I'd probably wait for a sale if you want only a small part of the pack, though.
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    I'm sort of in the same boat as OP, but I am more squicked out about the infected Sims than the plants.
    But it seems that even if I were to delete those 3 pre-mades there will still be spawned infected townies. So there is basically no way to avoid seeing that, as I understand?
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,873 Member
    Well I just checked in my game, you cannot delete the secret lab,
    where the Mother is located
    But if your sims doesn't have the "solve Strangerville Mystery" aspiration, they won't try to solve it, but they might be affected by it if they live in Strangerville.
    Is there any way I could opt out of the story altogether? It just seems so boring to me,and I just want to play Strangerville as a normal neighborhood.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    So basically,EA IS forcing the story/weirdness on us. I guess this is one pack I won't be getting...I'll just wait for better packs to come along.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    edited March 2019
    From Sims Online:

How to finish the storyline with cheats
    If you’re stuck on the storyline we’ve wrote a guide that will be very helpful if you want to finish the story yourself. If you just want to play in the new world without infected/possessed Sims, you can use these cheats. First install a simple mod. This will unlock new cheats you can use in The Sims 4.

Install the mod
    Step 1 – Download the Tmex-AllCheats.ts4script (found on the bottom op the page)
    Step 2 – Place it in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > Mods
    Step 3 – Enable mods in you game options (Gameplay options > Other, and check both the “Enable Mods” and ” Enable Script Mods” options)
    Step 4 – Restart your game (If the mod is loaded properly a popup will confirm it was loaded.)
    Step 5 – You can now use every cheat from this page!

Change, skip or finish the complete storyline of The Sims 4 StrangerVille
    In order for it to work you’ll need to install the mod mentioned above. Place your Sim at the location of the Secret Lab. The environment will change after you entered the cheats. You can also activate the cheats on another lot but you’ll need to travel first in order for it to work.

Cheat Code Result
    narrative.start_narrative narrative_Strangetown_Act1 This is Part 1 of the story (when you first enter the world)
    narrative.start_narrative narrative_Strangetown_Act2 Unlock Part 2 of the story (this will change the environment)
    narrative.start_narrative narrative_Strangetown_Act3 Unlock Part 3 of the story (this will change the environment)
    narrative.start_narrative narrative_Strangetown_Act4 This will finish the storyline and removes all infected/possessed buffs from townies.

More info here:
    https://sims-online.com/sims-4-strangerville-cheats-complete-storyline/
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    when the game starts, there are 3 infected sims (all three of them are premades) and if you continue along, the number slowly rises, but other the initial three, they're all spawned townies. spoiler about the townie jobs and infection below
    and it seems by the end of the storyline, every single member of the strangerville military (a hidden trait) is infected. which makes sense. i've had strangerville scientists and even a strangerville 'mib' agent infected before finished the story the first time. but never any conspiracy theorists)

the strangerville military, strangerville scientists, strangerville conspiracy theorists, and strangerville agents (these are all both jobs and hidden traits) can and will wander through other towns, but shouldn't have any of the story-related interactions available (i've actually had my sims go to dinner with one who invited them out, then took her back to strangerville just to complete a step of the story since couldn't do it at the restaurant)

i haven't seen any of the infected sims outside strangerville, but it really was only the three premades at the time, so small chance out of the 600 or so sims in my game that they'd be picked to do a walkby somewhere...

as for the story itself, as long as you avoid any of the interactions in the 'strangerville' header for conversations (at first, this is just 'talk about strangerville') you'll never start the story. though the story also only goes into overdrive once you visit the secret lab and start poking around there. so that's another thing to avoid (unless you want to complete the story quickly just to turn the town totally normal)

the infected sims might be your welcome wagon if you move into the town and, if so, they might do some creepy things that get the 'mib' to show up, but that's it. spoiler about that below
    if you have planters on your lot when you first move into strangerville, the infected welcome wagon will plant bizarre fruit there, and they'll put one in your fridge too. if either of these happen, the 'mib' show up, remove the plants from the planters and confiscate the fridge if it's got a fruit in it. they leave a note about the fridge. and if you have the 'private residence' lot trait, neither the welcome wagon nor the mib will show up on your lot, no matter what you do

What if the OP deleted the 3 premades? would that solve the issue?
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,873 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    kalaksed wrote: »

What if the OP deleted the 3 premades? would that solve the issue?

I don't think so since the source of infection would still be there.
    From Sims Online:

How to finish the storyline with cheats
    If you’re stuck on the storyline we’ve wrote a guide that will be very helpful if you want to finish the story yourself. If you just want to play in the new world without infected/possessed Sims, you can use these cheats. First install a simple mod. This will unlock new cheats you can use in The Sims 4.

Install the mod
    ..//..

Just to confirm, once I have done all of this, I can remove the mod? I prefer to play without any mods, knowing how buggy it can get for each new patch.
    I would think you'd not have a problem with removing the mod but not 100% certain. You might want to ask in the comment section of the article.
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    edited March 2019
    So basically,EA IS forcing the story/weirdness on us. I guess this is one pack I won't be getting...I'll just wait for better packs to come along.

It doesn't. Just ignore the welcome wagon and you're good to go.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
    edited March 2019
    I would think you'd not have a problem with removing the mod but not 100% certain. You might want to ask in the comment section of the article.

There were two comments from 2-3 weeks ago that mentioned the game becoming unplayable with endless loading screens after adding this mod, so now I really don't know what to do. The OP hasn't replied to those comments.
    garapoes wrote: »

With the risk of sounding repetitive, I literally do not want any weirdness. At all.
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Gagea wrote: »

This made me laugh. We dont want to force the story on you but you'll have to play it to get rid of it lol.
    belpita wrote: »

There were two comments from 2-3 weeks ago that mentioned the game becoming unplayable with endless loading screens after adding this mod, so now I really don't know what to do. The OP hasn't replied to those comments.
    garapoes wrote: »

With the risk of sounding repetitive, I literally do not want any weirdness. At all.

You might want to try reaching out to TwistedMexi on Twitter.
    https://twitter.com/TwistedMexi?lang=en
    edited March 2019
    You know, I'm really ambivalent about buying this pack not only because of things mentioned above. But it also worries me that the devs don't seem to be bothered with all the bugs anymore. The latest I heard was that there would be no patch in March, which means that the Seasons/City Living festival issue and the Get Famous make-up fail will not be addressed for another month. And these are issues that have been reported for a long time, making gameplay essential for completing a career really difficult to complete.

Why would you focus on bringing out a pack that nobody has asked for, instead of making sure the previous packs are compatible with each other? The quoted tweet above is like a bad joke. "You have to play the storyline to get rid of a storyline that you don't want to play."

ETA: Just wanted to point out that I am generally very enthusiastic about all new content for Sims4. I really enjoy playing the game and Strangerville as a new world seems like it would suit my style of play. But the sloppiness and inconsistencies of the latest additions make me concerned.