Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on Strangerville?

Comments

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    Honestly, overall I'm very confused over people's expectations for their pack. Some people seem to think the storyline should've been a Dragon Age style game for 20 bucks tied to a game like the sims.

It's.... a 20 dollar game pack. Comparing it to the other game packs, it's awesome with a lot more basic content (a new world with just as many lots as a expansion and nearly twice as many as any other game pack world, a BUNCH of amazing CAS and build/buy objects with new functionality, and a storyline that story simmers can have a blast with if it fits their theme).

I don't know. I just feel like a lot of simmers are just... expecting each expansion pack and game pack to be the next savior of the game. I, personally, didn't join in on Sims 4 until both toddlers came about and then outfits and make up were unlocked for all genders. I will defend the sims 2 as the most important game in the series until the day I day, but.... the sims 4 is not and will never be the Sims 2. It's it's own thing. And being forced to play it for 2 years while my old computer crashed and all my mods from sims 2 had to be salvaged, it made me really appreciate it for what it was.

It's a fun, quirky, lighthearted game that does some cool and weird and interesting things and like. Let's face it. It will never have the design philosophy of Sims 2.

So yeah anyway Strangerville is my fav gamepack due to vibe, items, and world and the storyline is fun and goofy and has some amazing details.

The "story-mode" is what makes me dislike it. Sims is supposed to be a sandbox game WITHOUT a forced story within it. This pack just proved that the player no longer rules if there is a story mode within the game.

Aren't you overreacting a bit.This is not the first time they did this.The sim life stories, pssp,and console games did this as well.This is not a new base game.Thid is just a small game pack who do like quests. Your not force to play it or buy it.

Not overreacting, just stating the plain truth. If they really wanted this "story-mode" to be seen better, it belongs in a stand alone spinoff title. Personally, I have been quite critical of all DLC we have been given since 2016. Like for recent example, Get Famous is only worth a $5 purchase and that was from all the information I heard and saw about it. Guess I know what I wanted when I purchased the game in 2015, and the dev team has just ended up destroying it at least for me.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited February 2019
    Interesting idea but looks weirdly executed
    New new build mode music alone is worth the pack.

Haha that music is really nice isn't it!

Also, just my 2cts about the idea / fear that you can't rule with story elements added to the game- I don't know if that's always entirely true. I think that, even though the story will presumably be very linear (I'm not too far in yet, I really take my time getting stories to where things feel like they're developing somewhat naturally to me), the way you approach that linear story-telling element within the pack is still entirely up to you. You still get to decide who your sims are, why they're hanging around Strangerville, how they got to know about the place, how they find out what's going on around them, and in some ways, even how they interact with what they come to know. Maybe your sim really doesn't care too much at first, maybe he doesn't really dare to investigate? Maybe they're so anti-social and career-focused it takes them months to even notice anyone's acting weird around them at all? Maybe they're paranoid and obsessive? Maybe they get infected? I don't know, is the story potential somewhat limited? Sure, but that also makes it an easy enough GP to ignore if you absolutely cannot deal with that.

And in a way, Dine Out is quite repetitive as well in what you can hope to achieve with owning a restaurant - but doesn't the whole simulation aspect also happen somewhere in between the spaces these unmovable 'set pieces' provide? I don't know .. honestly? I've had around 3 hours of fun now with the 18 euros I spent on this, and I'm still nowhere near the middle of the story. I'm fine with that. More so because I know I'll continue using this stuff & the world it comes with even if I should decide to turn the strangeness-related stuff off. I kind of like seeing it as moderately connected to DSV anyway and I love GF so there's that? Either way, it's a lot better than I feared :)
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Interesting and intriguing - nice to see something new
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Also, just my 2cts about the idea / fear that you can't rule with story elements added to the game- I don't know if that's always entirely true. I think that, even though the story will presumably be very linear (I'm not too far in yet, I really take my time getting stories to where things feel like they're developing somewhat naturally to me), the way you approach that linear story-telling element within the pack is still entirely up to you. You still get to decide who your sims are, why they're hanging around Strangerville, how they got to know about the place, how they find out what's going on around them, and in some ways, even how they interact with what they come to know. Maybe your sim really doesn't care too much at first, maybe he doesn't really dare to investigate? Maybe they're so anti-social and career-focused it takes them months to even notice anyone's acting weird around them at all? Maybe they're paranoid and obsessive? Maybe they get infected? I don't know, is the story potential somewhat limited? Sure, but that also makes it an easy enough GP to ignore if you absolutely cannot deal with that.

And in a way, Dine Out is quite repetitive as well in what you can hope to achieve with owning a restaurant - but doesn't the whole simulation aspect also happen somewhere in between the spaces these unmovable 'set pieces' provide? I don't know .. honestly? I've had around 3 hours of fun now with the 18 euros I spent on this, and I'm still nowhere near the middle of the story. I'm fine with that. More so because I know I'll continue using this stuff & the world it comes with even if I should decide to turn the strangeness-related stuff off. I kind of like seeing it as moderately connected to DSV anyway and I love GF so there's that. :)

Yes, I also think that the replayability of the pack depends on our creativity to invent stories - and STV offers many incentives for great stories.

And in a way, Dine Out is quite repetitive as well in what you can hope to achieve with owning a restaurant - but doesn't the whole simulation aspect also happen somewhere in between the spaces these unmovable 'set pieces' provide? I don't know .. honestly? I've had around 3 hours of fun now with the 18 euros I spent on this, and I'm still nowhere near the middle of the story. I'm fine with that. More so because I know I'll continue using this stuff & the world it comes with even if I should decide to turn the strangeness-related stuff off. I kind of like seeing it as moderately connected to DSV anyway and I love GF so there's that. :)

Yes, I also think that the replayability of the pack depends on our creativity to invent stories - and STV offers many incentives for great stories.

Yes exactly, thanks for the TL;DR but that's exactly how I feel about it too! And I really didn't think I would. Guess it's nice to be wrong sometimes :D
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member

You are so on point here. I'm going to play this through many, many ways. I'm taking a break now in the story I have to just appreciate the world and go off on different angles. I was at first kind of barreling through it but then I slowed down. There is no reason to do that. Besides I know how the story ends (and know you can even approach that differently) or you can stop anywhere.
    I feel sorry for people that need to barrel through it and call it done.. well not if they want a normal world I guess... but otherwise why? Enjoy the ride in as many ways as you want to come up with.
    egTcBMc.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Honestly, overall I'm very confused over people's expectations for their pack. Some people seem to think the storyline should've been a Dragon Age style game for 20 bucks tied to a game like the sims.

It's.... a 20 dollar game pack. Comparing it to the other game packs, it's awesome with a lot more basic content (a new world with just as many lots as a expansion and nearly twice as many as any other game pack world, a BUNCH of amazing CAS and build/buy objects with new functionality, and a storyline that story simmers can have a blast with if it fits their theme).

I don't know. I just feel like a lot of simmers are just... expecting each expansion pack and game pack to be the next savior of the game. I, personally, didn't join in on Sims 4 until both toddlers came about and then outfits and make up were unlocked for all genders. I will defend the sims 2 as the most important game in the series until the day I day, but.... the sims 4 is not and will never be the Sims 2. It's it's own thing. And being forced to play it for 2 years while my old computer crashed and all my mods from sims 2 had to be salvaged, it made me really appreciate it for what it was.

It's a fun, quirky, lighthearted game that does some cool and weird and interesting things and like. Let's face it. It will never have the design philosophy of Sims 2.

So yeah anyway Strangerville is my fav gamepack due to vibe, items, and world and the storyline is fun and goofy and has some amazing details.

The "story-mode" is what makes me dislike it. Sims is supposed to be a sandbox game WITHOUT a forced story within it. This pack just proved that the player no longer rules if there is a story mode within the game.

Aren't you overreacting a bit.This is not the first time they did this.The sim life stories, pssp,and console games did this as well.This is not a new base game.Thid is just a small game pack who do like quests. Your not force to play it or buy it.

The sims life story was a stand alone game. The console games that had story mode was an extra. Big difference between that and a pack where the story is the USP and everything else is secondary. That’s a first for a main sims title that is a sandbox.
    @Hermitgirl exactly, enjoy the ride! :D Or, if you really don't want to be on it, feel free to know that by ignoring this pack, you won't be missing out on anything too ground breaking or even any unfairly locked away 'staple' of the series.
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    The sims life story was a stand alone game. The console games that had story mode was an extra. Big difference between that and a pack where the story is the USP and everything else is secondary. That’s a first for a main sims title that is a sandbox.

I think this is a turning point for the franchise. If this pack sells well, say goodbye to sandbox elements. They're going to go all in with story packs with 2 hours of linear gameplay. They're considerably much easier and cheaper to do and if people still pay money for them, what's the point of doing more complex sandbox gameplay? People need to speak with their wallets. If you buy this pack, especially at full price, you're telling that it's okay to release a 2 hour story for $20 instead of more interesting sandbox elements.

Of course cognitive dissonance is in full force here and I've seen many people trying to come up with excuses to justify their purchase. My favorite is when they say they want to play it as slow as possible to enjoy it. If you have to force yourself to play a game as slow as possible because it lacks substantial content, we've reached rock bottom to be honest.
  • mauvejinjomauvejinjo Posts: 126 Member
    edited February 2019
    For me, this pack has a lot of replay-ability with the Military career, and the addition of gothic/prairie build objects. I've been wanting this career for quite some time, and I think it is a major improvement over the other WFH careers, as the unlockable socials really make it feel like your sim is a soldier.

The town itself is beautiful, unfortunately it is all window dressing. There are so many decorative lots that could have been utilized as playable/editable; especially in the downtown area. Lots that are editable are small, and in areas where commerce wouldn't make sense. Being able to run a retail business, or create nightclubs, restaurants, etc would give the town more customization and play-ability. I really enjoy the Sims4, and the many varied worlds in the game, but I'm often left feeling that my sims are merely actors on a decorated stage, and not characters living in a world.

As far as people concerned over story elements being paramount, if EA opened the worlds more in this aspect (Strangerville especially) there would be so much more use in them.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2019

It is the first time they did this within the life simulator main game for pc. No, I'm sorry, I don't think it's just a game pack. I think it says they are tired of building packs to broaden a life simulator and they would enjoy more building story scripted packs. At least that is the vibe I got.
    It also says to me, no this isn't just a pack, but a change in direction if they make enough money on it, and maybe the last GPs of this game before it ends winds up being more story driven packs. They have said, yes, they will do more (I assume that means if it sells well, not if people enjoy it, but if it brings in some heavy cash.) A change in what they wanted to build also tells me they want to change direction. But for the life simulator players it means the death of the franchise in a way we didn't even think they would even consider. It doesn't broaden the lives of the Sims, it doesn't broaden the experience of life, but a stand alone pack that just may change this game forever. Especially, if it makes enough money.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,185 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

It is the first time they did this within the life simulator main game for pc. No, I'm sorry, I don't think it's just a game pack. I think it says they are tired of building packs to broaden a life simulator and they would enjoy more building story scripted packs. At least that is the vibe I got.
    It also says to me, no this isn't just a pack, but a change in direction if they make enough money on it, and maybe the last GPs of this game before it ends winds up being more story driven packs. They have said, yes, they will do more (I assume that means if it sells well, not if people enjoy it, but if it brings in some heavy cash.) A change in what they wanted to build also tells me they want to change direction. But for the life simulator players it means the death of the franchise in a way we didn't even think they would even consider. It doesn't broaden the lives of the Sims, it doesn't broaden the experience of life, but a stand-alone pack that just may change this game forever. Especially, if it makes enough money.

Yes if they sell more. We get some packs like this. I don't see a problem with this your not force yo do the story or buy it.There not planing to replace all sandbox add one with story mode.Judt that they probably do a few of these gamepacks in the future
  • vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    No restaurant, where are the lots to build on? To many un playable lots.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

It also says to me, no this isn't just a pack, but a change in direction if they make enough money on it, and maybe the last GPs of this game before it ends winds up being more story driven packs. They have said, yes, they will do more (I assume that means if it sells well, not if people enjoy it, but if it brings in some heavy cash.) A change in what they wanted to build also tells me they want to change direction. But for the life simulator players it means the death of the franchise in a way we didn't even think they would even consider. It doesn't broaden the lives of the Sims, it doesn't broaden the experience of life, but a stand-alone pack that just may change this game forever. Especially, if it makes enough money.

Yes if they sell more. We get some packs like this. I don't see a problem with this your not force yo do the story or buy it.There not planing to replace all sandbox add one with story mode.Judt that they probably do a few of these gamepacks in the future

But if players wanted other things like witches, or a supernatural EP or whatever, they may decide no, we did well with story driven packs so let's make more. We don't know what another story driven pack would cause to not be made.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??

YOU do not see the problem. I see is as a very big problem. One of which I personally would require EA to give me a full refund on all I previously purchased since they destroyed the game.

YOU do not see the problem. I see is as a very big problem. One of which I personally would require EA to give me a full refund on all I previously purchased since they destroyed the game.

The "story mode" is basically a playable career like the GTW detective, just done much better - more exciting and visually 100 % more advanced.
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??

The "story mode" is basically a playable career like the GTW detective, just done much better - more exciting and visually 100 % more advanced.

I don't do "lists" as that is too restrictive and not what I consider sandbox. You just suggested the pack with careers I NEVER play. Sims was always a sandbox style game, but what they have been pushing and destroying it with are "story-based" elements. It is no longer the player who rules, but the dev team rules it instead by their "story" elements.

But if players wanted other things like witches, or a supernatural EP or whatever, they may decide no, we did well with story driven packs so let's make more. We don't know what another story driven pack would cause to not be made.

Dude because some story pack will be made in the future .Does not mean we are never get supernatural or any other none story pack.I don't see of them get rid of sandbox.That will be a bad move.The sandbox add ons are still popular.I don't think they are going make that many of theses .
  • SimCherSimCher Posts: 41 Member
    LunaNova wrote: »
    I have to say after playing the story I'm very happy for it! As someone that likes story telling I know im going to get a chance to use bits and bobs from the game for other families. The story itself was nice even if the ending was odd!

I like having something new in game and im really happy to have the military career back, loving the fact you get medals for that as well!

Overall for me it was just worth it for the world. Its really lovely looking and feels very different to Oasis springs. Really good to have another hot climate world in game because i tend to gravitate towards oasis springs allot now days!

I have a dumb question and I saw you played the story. Did you happen to use the bugs? My male Sim put a bug on my female Sim and now they are a couple and I don't see how to get it off of her. Lol. If you or anyone know, let me know. Thanks A lot! 😊
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Naus wrote: »

I think this is a turning point for the franchise. If this pack sells well, say goodbye to sandbox elements. They're going to go all in with story packs with 2 hours of linear gameplay. They're considerably much easier and cheaper to do and if people still pay money for them, what's the point of doing more complex sandbox gameplay? People need to speak with their wallets. If you buy this pack, especially at full price, you're telling that it's okay to release a 2 hour story for $20 instead of more interesting sandbox elements.

Of course cognitive dissonance is in full force here and I've seen many people trying to come up with excuses to justify their purchase. My favorite is when they say they want to play it as slow as possible to enjoy it. If you have to force yourself to play a game as slow as possible because it lacks substantial content, we've reached rock bottom to be honest.

I completely agree.

I mean granted I don’t think the sims 4 has ever been a complete sand box. I think there are too many checklists for that but if this pack does well expect a lot more like it and that’s not the sims series as we know it on pc.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited February 2019
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    I can't believe so many people seem to be okay with this development. A badly executed rpg element IS NOT the Sims. You can add rpg elements on top of the sandbox tools as icing on the cake, but it should NOT be the main focus of a pack. At least have some quality control and have someone that can actually write develop the story. This plum is just embarrassing for everyone involved.

Ofcourse you're allowed to like and enjoy it, nobody said otherwise, but you still shouldn't be okay with this pack, it's horribly bad for the franchise, because even if you liked it, many many people won't like it, and will get turned off from the game - cue Sims getting even LESS funding and resources and even MORE lazy packs like this, and it will dwindle into an actual garbage disaster.

If any of you care about the franchise and playing the Sims, you would screaming loudly at Maxis to get their plum together and give us some actual sandbox content - if they want to sprinkle some rpg stuff and storytelling on top of that, sure go ahead, we all love that plum. Just don't sell a tiny world, one lazyily done career and a click mystery that's done in 2 hours as one pack and call it a day. If any of you care about the sims, DO NOT be okay with this. Loving something doesn't always mean agreeing with it at all times or pretending everything is sunshine and rainbows. The franchise needs it's fans right now, not your wallet.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    Aine wrote: »
    I can't believe so many people seem to be okay with this development. A badly executed rpg element IS NOT the Sims. You can add rpg elements on top of the sandbox tools as icing on the cake, but it should NOT be the main focus of a pack. At least have some quality control and have someone that can actually write develop the story. This plum is just embarrassing for everyone involved.

Ofcourse you're allowed to like and enjoy it, nobody said otherwise, but you still shouldn't be okay with this pack, it's horribly bad for the franchise, because even if you liked it, many many people won't like it, and will get turned off from the game - cue Sims getting even LESS funding and resources and even MORE lazy packs like this, and it will dwindle into an actual garbage disaster.

If any of you care about the franchise and playing the Sims, you would screaming loudly at Maxis to get their plum together and give us some actual sandbox content - if they want to sprinkle some rpg stuff and storytelling on top of that, sure go ahead, we all love that plum. Just don't sell a tiny world, one lazyily done career and a click mystery that's done in 2 hours as one pack and call it a day. If any of you care about the sims, DO NOT be okay with this. Loving something doesn't always mean agreeing with it at all times or pretending everything is sunshine and rainbows. The franchise needs it's fans right now, not your wallet.

PREACH!
    Frankly I don't see the problem. Of course STV is a repetitive story - but what in the Sims is not? People think that packs like Seasons or Parenthood are "open", but they also force you to cook 345 christmas meals or train 1,089 toddlers how to use the potty. The point is that you always have to combine the elements to create your unique story. And in this respect STV offers more than many game packs before, because its content is so bizarre. Interrupt the story in the middle and live forever in a zombie apocalypse under a green sky. Use the new military equipment to spice up the old secret agent career. Give the aliens from GTW finally a decent home. You can do so much with this pack, just start to play and use your fantasy. I'm glad that we got STV.

I'm going to stop you there.Aparenty I don't care about the franchise.Because I really don't see the problem with this or don't agree with you .Buddy I been playing these games for years.I basically bought every sims 3 pack,and buy the ones I like with four.I play every game.No I will not be upset because one pack.That has the option for a story.That your not force to play.If you don't like pack like these than don't buy it.But it dosen't make you a better simmer.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    I'm going to stop you there.Aparenty I don't care about the franchise.Because I really don't see the problem with this or don't agree with you .Buddy I been playing these games for years.I basically bought every sims 3 pack,and buy the ones I like with four.I play every game.No I will not be upset because one pack.That has the option for a story.That your not force to play.If you don't like pack like these than don't buy it.But it dosen't make you a better simmer.
    What right have you to 'stop me'? I'd love to see you try, darling. ;) In NO WAY was I saying I'm a better simmer nor that you're a bad one. I'm glad you enjoy the pack, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be worried about Maxis releasing a pack like this IMO. That's MY opinion, and I'm entitled to have it and express it, thank you very much. Neither did I say anywhere that I don't play the game, or that I don't want to. On the contrary, it's because I WANT to play the game and enjoy it that I wrote what I wrote. Just because I have a different approach to the game doesn't mean I'M a bad simmer either. And no, I probably won't buy this pack, but that's not my main point. Even if you DO like the pack, you should still tell maxis that this is not okay, because it's really not okay. IMO. My opinion. Cheers. <3
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
    What right have you to 'stop me'? I'd love to see you try, darling. ;) In NO WAY was I saying I'm a better simmer nor that you're a bad one. I'm glad you enjoy the pack, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be worried about Maxis releasing a pack like this IMO. That's MY opinion, and I'm entitled to have it and express it, thank you very much. Neither did I say anywhere that I don't play the game, or that I don't want to. On the contrary, it's because I WANT to play the game and enjoy it that I wrote what I wrote. Just because I have a different approach to the game doesn't mean I'M a bad simmer either. And no, I probably won't buy this pack, but that's not my main point. Even if you DO like the pack, you should still tell maxis that this is not okay, because it's really not okay. IMO. My opinion. Cheers. <3

Oh okay, I'm not worried about a pack like these. Because I don't see these packs replacing non story packs.