Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on Strangerville?

Comments

• Options
    r0b0tman5r0b0tman5 Posts: 109 Member
    Interesting and intriguing - nice to see something new
    just got it today and i have been enjoying it so far.
    Been playing The Sims since The Sims 1! B)
  • Options
    RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    Honestly, overall I'm very confused over people's expectations for their pack. Some people seem to think the storyline should've been a Dragon Age style game for 20 bucks tied to a game like the sims.

It's.... a 20 dollar game pack. Comparing it to the other game packs, it's awesome with a lot more basic content (a new world with just as many lots as a expansion and nearly twice as many as any other game pack world, a BUNCH of amazing CAS and build/buy objects with new functionality, and a storyline that story simmers can have a blast with if it fits their theme).

I don't know. I just feel like a lot of simmers are just... expecting each expansion pack and game pack to be the next savior of the game. I, personally, didn't join in on Sims 4 until both toddlers came about and then outfits and make up were unlocked for all genders. I will defend the sims 2 as the most important game in the series until the day I day, but.... the sims 4 is not and will never be the Sims 2. It's it's own thing. And being forced to play it for 2 years while my old computer crashed and all my mods from sims 2 had to be salvaged, it made me really appreciate it for what it was.

It's a fun, quirky, lighthearted game that does some cool and weird and interesting things and like. Let's face it. It will never have the design philosophy of Sims 2.

So yeah anyway Strangerville is my fav gamepack due to vibe, items, and world and the storyline is fun and goofy and has some amazing details.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    Many people are conflating their own personal timeline and preference of content with EA 's timeline. Meaning players want what they want when they want it and anything less is plum. Are there themes and objects from previous packs that should make their way into the 4th iteration, most certainly. Does that prevent room for new experiences? It shouldn't. This iteration of the series is intended to last longer. Also, some people need to reconcile with the fact that some things from previous versions will not return, or won't return as they prefer and how to deal with that.

I'm not saying love or like this pack, I'm saying I'm noticing some people can't even entertain the possibility because they've yet to get what they want. This sets them up for continued disappointment.

We are on the 4th iteration. Simmers have spent over $500 on these packs. Sequels should expand on the previous games. Yes we lost the open world, yes we lost CASt, those losses were something most could live with because they affected performance. But there are MANY features that were amazing from 2 and 3 that are still not in the game, and we have no idea why.

It has been 5 years. In those 5 years the team could’ve given us everything that was in previous iterations to make everyone shut up and THEN given us the wacky and weird stuff. A lot of us can’t go back to TS3, and TS2 looks dated without a lot of CC, so we’re stuck with TS4. And we’ve spent over $500. It’s high time to plug in everything that’s missing. Instead it’s yet another RPG pack with a one time story in a sand box simulation game. It’s just really frustrating.

And here we go again.

You mix up your personal wishes with facts.

1. Nothing is "Missing" from the game, not in the way you state it. Yes you want it to be there, whatever it is, so for you it is missing. But the way you make it sound is like the game is a car with the right front wheel missing. That is not the case.

2. There is nothing, anywhere, that obligates Maxis to just do carbon copies of previous games' expansions. Again, you feel like they owe you something they don't. Yes they have to listen to people "not shutting up", but that's entirely their decision. It must be horribly boring having to listen to people demanding Sims 2 / 3 all over again, especially with "fans" demanding "New and fresh stuff, but don't change anything because then you SUCK!"

3. If "obligatory feature X" is not in the game, sit back, have a think and decide if that is a game breaker for you. If it is, stop playing. If it's not, continue playing and enjoy the game as it is.

Personally I feel 4 is the superior game in the series. Three for example had an "open world" that wasn't. You could drive a (badly animated) car anywhere in one world but you were still stuck in one world. You had far FAR less freedom in 3 than in 4.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    > @Beardedgeek said:
    > You had far FAR less freedom in 3 than in 4.

Okay, keep telling yourself. Maybe if you repeat it enough times it'll become true. By the way, you CAN travel to other worlds (Egypt, China, France, Future world and University world) or to any world you have installed with NRaas Traveller.
  • Options
    Naus wrote: »
    > @Beardedgeek said:
    > You had far FAR less freedom in 3 than in 4.

Okay, keep telling yourself. Maybe if you repeat it enough times it'll become true. By the way, you CAN travel to other worlds (Egypt, China, France, Future world and University world) or to any world you have installed with NRaas Traveller.

So... I'm right.

Vacation worlds doesn't count.
    Mods doesn't count.

Seriously, what on earth made you think that's a rebuttal to my argument?

FACT is that you're stuck in one world. Which means you have to decide what type of community lots you want for that specific game since you don't have room for all types and residential areas as well.

Do you want both nightclubs and dive bars? Might have to skip having a fire station.
    Gym or beauty salon?
    Police station or hospital?
    Etc etc.

And right back at you: repeating something won't make it true.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2019
    Many people are conflating their own personal timeline and preference of content with EA 's timeline. Meaning players want what they want when they want it and anything less is plum. Are there themes and objects from previous packs that should make their way into the 4th iteration, most certainly. Does that prevent room for new experiences? It shouldn't. This iteration of the series is intended to last longer. Also, some people need to reconcile with the fact that some things from previous versions will not return, or won't return as they prefer and how to deal with that.

I'm not saying love or like this pack, I'm saying I'm noticing some people can't even entertain the possibility because they've yet to get what they want. This sets them up for continued disappointment.

We are on the 4th iteration. Simmers have spent over $500 on these packs. Sequels should expand on the previous games. Yes we lost the open world, yes we lost CASt, those losses were something most could live with because they affected performance. But there are MANY features that were amazing from 2 and 3 that are still not in the game, and we have no idea why.

It has been 5 years. In those 5 years the team could’ve given us everything that was in previous iterations to make everyone shut up and THEN given us the wacky and weird stuff. A lot of us can’t go back to TS3, and TS2 looks dated without a lot of CC, so we’re stuck with TS4. And we’ve spent over $500. It’s high time to plug in everything that’s missing. Instead it’s yet another RPG pack with a one time story in a sand box simulation game. It’s just really frustrating.

And here we go again.

1. Nothing is "Missing" from the game, not in the way you state it. Yes you want it to be there, whatever it is, so for you it is missing. But the way you make it sound is like the game is a car with the right front wheel missing. That is not the case.

2. There is nothing, anywhere, that obligates Maxis to just do carbon copies of previous games' expansions. Again, you feel like they owe you something they don't. Yes they have to listen to people "not shutting up", but that's entirely their decision. It must be horribly boring having to listen to people demanding Sims 2 / 3 all over again, especially with "fans" demanding "New and fresh stuff, but don't change anything because then you SUCK!"

3. If "obligatory feature X" is not in the game, sit back, have a think and decide if that is a game breaker for you. If it is, stop playing. If it's not, continue playing and enjoy the game as it is.

Personally I feel 4 is the superior game in the series. Three for example had an "open world" that wasn't. You could drive a (badly animated) car anywhere in one world but you were still stuck in one world. You had far FAR less freedom in 3 than in 4.

So, let me ask you something, did you prefer there wasn't any toddlers, pools, basements, half walls, and a dozen other things some of us complained about since you said nothing is missing in TS4? You wanted it to stay that way? and do you want it to still not have cars, without slow dancing, without chemistry, without proper teens, without kid games like tag, without grandparent inheritance, without them responding to death properly? Without more trait slots? without five or six new skills and traits per pack? Without new aspirations (at least four per pack) like in the old days? O.K. then, I guess they shouldn't have added any of those things some of us knew would make it fail if it didn't produce at at least some of that. Maybe we won't think nothing is missing next time if there is only the adult age in the next game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    @Beardedgeek

First of all, calm down. Don't be so abrasive.
    Second, you do realize most worlds in The Sims 3 had 100 lots and 25-35 empty lots. You can absolutely have every type of community lot available in one town.
    Third, you can ADD new lots on routable terrain. You can even add lots in the middle of the sea and make islands if you want.
    Fourth, you can CREATE your own worlds, you can download custom worlds with hundreds of lots.
    Fifth, you aren't STUCK in one world. You can move to another world at any time without mods using the "Move to Another Town" interaction. If you get bored of living in Bridgeport, move to Riverview. Every Sim you knew from the previous town will be saved and you can invite them over.
    Sixth, why don't vacation worlds count? You can travel there without installing any mods. They don't count because you say so? Because there's a loading screen just like in The Sims 4?
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

And here we go again.

So, let me ask you something, did you prefer there wasn't any toddlers, pools, basements, half walls, and a dozen other things some of us complained about since you said nothing is missing in TS4? You wanted it to stay that way? and do you want it to still not have cars, without slow dancing, without chemistry, without proper teens, without kid games like tag, without grandparent inheritance, without them responding to death properly? Without more trait slots? without five or six new skills and traits per pack? Without new aspirations (at least four per pack) like in the old days? O.K. then, I guess they shouldn't have added any of those things some of us knew would make it fail if it didn't produce at at least some of that. Maybe we won't think nothing is missing next time if there is only the adult age in the next game.

Toddlers? I was fine without them but I do find them very well made.

Pools? Meh.

Cars? Why on earth would we have cars? I find them completely useless.

Teens? Since this is the first game WITH proper teens.. I would HATE it if they ruined teens by making them like they were in the older games. For the first time we actually have realistic teens and for some reason a lot of players want to ruin them .

Why would we have more trait slots?

Still sound like you feel Maxis is owing you something.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    It is true. There were and still are missing features. To date you have absolutely nothing for world builders. So that creative outlet is lost. Sure you can remake a town, but that is not the same as building a world. The toddlers came after a great deal of strife. The family simners were not going to be silenced, nor should they have been. But at the end of the day, Maxis did create some very good toddlers, and they did give them to us for free. So they did make that right.
  • Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    @Beardedgeek

They do owe us something...because we paid $60 (or more) for the game. It’s not like they’re standing on the nearest corner handing out free copies.
  • Options
    FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    I played the story and really enjoyed it. i am very glad i bought the pack
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    I have to say after playing the story I'm very happy for it! As someone that likes story telling I know im going to get a chance to use bits and bobs from the game for other families. The story itself was nice even if the ending was odd!

I like having something new in game and im really happy to have the military career back, loving the fact you get medals for that as well!

Overall for me it was just worth it for the world. Its really lovely looking and feels very different to Oasis springs. Really good to have another hot climate world in game because i tend to gravitate towards oasis springs allot now days!
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    becks1112 wrote: »
    I'll give it a try, but my main concern is that it sounds like it's a one time mystery. So once you play it through once, it's kind of dead. Maybe I'm wrong though. But what I really want is a University pack. I hate that that life stage is missing, it was my favorite in TS3.
    And what if University would mainly be a story, handled just like in Strangerville? A nice story about students to play through, identical to every player. University being the very same for every player, every sim?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Interesting idea but looks weirdly executed
    Yeah so I played this for about 3 hours last night and I'm actually quite pleased. I haven't really done most the story yet though. My sims just moved into a lot, she's an influencer, he joined the military career and in my mind that is why they moved there. Because he was asked to relocate there. The world is surprisingly very pretty and I think it's great that you can't really speak to sims that are infected and that the military guys and conspiracy theorists are hanging around the world. I will play the mystery very slowly though. My sims aren't really that suspicious yet, focusing mostly on their careers but the girl has started to notice that some inhabitants are acting weird. She's also gotten to know some of her husband's work colleagues and they clearly know something her low ranking guy doesn't yet but they're not too concerned. In my mind she'll very slowly learn more while working at the library during the day. She's also been told a lot about a weird military base and her husband will notice that there's some top secret stuff going on. They'll very slowly start to investigate. I'm not stressed. And here's the thing: the story isn't forced on you that much. You can quite happily ignore a lot of it, I think it becomes more prominent through engaging with it. Which is a good thing. The cas and build stuff is great too. IDK. For 18 euros (I have an original access account)? Yeah whatever I'm very pleased. I'm not saying I want a ton of story driven content but I really don't mind this. It's fun and gives a nice change of pace before going back to my actor!
  • Options
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    @Beardedgeek

They do owe us something...because we paid $60 (or more) for the game. It’s not like they’re standing on the nearest corner handing out free copies.

So you expect free stuff.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Interesting idea but looks weirdly executed
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    It is true. There were and still are missing features. To date you have absolutely nothing for world builders. So that creative outlet is lost. Sure you can remake a town, but that is not the same as building a world. The toddlers came after a great deal of strife. The family simners were not going to be silenced, nor should they have been. But at the end of the day, Maxis did create some very good toddlers, and they did give them to us for free. So they did make that right.

Thank you for your post as I was going to say the same thing, I do not know how I can equate losing major features to connecting neighborhoods. Another thing developing an game that is handicapped because of performances issues for me is not necessarily an option I would clap my hands for. Handicapping performance is limiting as it does not take this program to the next level.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    I'm having fun with it. Although, I haven't gotten very far yet, I'm still enjoying the concept and trying to find my way around is more fun for me than reading someone else's idea of what's fun.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    So you expect free stuff.[/quote]

@Beardedgeek

There are multiple ways to interpret your reply, but allow me to elaborate on where I’m coming from.

Do I expect stuff like Strangerville to be given to us for free? No.

Do I expect stuff like pools and toddlers, a cornerstone in a life simulator, to be put in the game “for free” (even though it’s not really “free” persay because we kinda already paid for it) because they were omitted from the game when it launched? Yes, mainly for two reasons:

1. Precedent. Pools for example were included with every previous Sims game. Given this precedent, I expected no different from The Sims 4 when I bought it. When it was revealed that the game had shipped without them, a lot of people were upset by this. Mainly because a feature that has been in the series since the first iteration was now missing from the game they (and I) just spent AAA money on. We expected something as basic as pools to be included in the base game because of the history of the game and the fact that this is the fourth entry of the series.

2. Price. As I said previously, most people spent $60 or more to buy The Sims 4. And no matter where you stand on how much you like or dislike the game, I think most of us can agree that the game, when it launched, was very bare bones. It wasn’t worth the $60 IMO, especially with the lack of pools, among other franchise staples (NPCs anyone?), and a whole life state. It honestly made me wonder what I [i]was[/i] spending my money on. To be honest, if Maxis had told me that I was going to have to [b]pay[/b] [b]extra[/b] for pools, a feature that was included in the price tag of the base games before it, I would have laughed in their face and shut my wallet for good. When I’m paying AAA prices, I expect to get my money’s worth and (at the very least) the basics. And the fact that these two things were patched in “for free” helps the game’s feature value get closer to the retail value (again, IMO). So in a way, by adding back these “classic base game” things, they’re getting themselves out of the hole and onto a more level playing field.

So yes, for some things, I do expect them to be “free”, but the better way of phrasing it is: “It should’ve been included in the fourth base game that I paid a lot of money for in the first place.”

Also, Maxis is not a charity. They are selling us a product that we are then purchasing with our hard earned money. If a paying customer feels as though they didn’t get their money’s worth or something is missing for them, they have a right to speak up about it.

If I’m totally missing the mark on what you meant, let me know.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Why are EA not giving us babies that are not objects or university
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    @Beardedgeek

So you expect free stuff.

Yes since Maxis tells me to. Not my fault if their idea for free content is usually some low level novelty that players will not care about, so if it’s something stupid I will openly share my opinion on that but regardless I still fully expect free content. Kind of the point to the ‘live service’ they have going is to add free stuff to the game.

Do you not expect free stuff? Sims 4 is a poor quality Sims game and shipped with a laughly poor/small assortment of content. If they weren’t in the business of filling out the game via patches then they wouldn’t be developing this game 4+ years later. It’s still a super poor quality game even with the additions because it is STILL missing so many staple features and offers nothing in their place. So long as the Sims 4 drags, I will expect free stuff to try and distract from how boring and lifeless the end game actually is. That’s Sims 4 for you though, and it won’t change.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

And here we go again.

Toddlers? I was fine without them but I do find them very well made.

Pools? Meh.

Cars? Why on earth would we have cars? I find them completely useless.

Teens? Since this is the first game WITH proper teens.. I would HATE it if they ruined teens by making them like they were in the older games. For the first time we actually have realistic teens and for some reason a lot of players want to ruin them .

Why would we have more trait slots?

Still sound like you feel Maxis is owing you something.

Maxis doesn't owe me anything. But when I buy a new series with a number in it's title. Implying it's a succession, I expected it to live up to the glory of past games, or remove the number and change the title. And what I don't expect is to buy into a life simulator and then somewhere down the line they tire of building that life simulator and start changing up the genre. Not too many Simmers signed up for something like changing the game to have packs that are scripted, or packs that would add micotranactions, or packs that would somehow change it into an MMO. No, what we bought into was the idea since they called it The Sims 4. it would continue, carry over, and expand upon a life simulator. If they wanted to say it's a different game, different genre and different from previous then they should have called it something else. I'm not against building a different IP, but don't hood wink players into thinking they would continue with the concepts of the previous games (speach by Ryan) and the same open-ended, single player, sandbox genre.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    edited February 2019
    Folks let's keep this on topic please. There's been a bit of off topic discussion going on, lets try and keep the thread on point and discuss what your thought's are on Strangerville.
  • Options
    dctf344dctf344 Posts: 21 Member
    I bought the pack, played through and enjoyed it. Will I play it again.....eventually. I basically bought the pack for the new world, the build/buy items and the new CAS items. The gameplay was more enjoyable than I expected. Was it worth 20 bucks to me...yep!
    GHNQUEs.png
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    Honestly, overall I'm very confused over people's expectations for their pack. Some people seem to think the storyline should've been a Dragon Age style game for 20 bucks tied to a game like the sims.

It's.... a 20 dollar game pack. Comparing it to the other game packs, it's awesome with a lot more basic content (a new world with just as many lots as a expansion and nearly twice as many as any other game pack world, a BUNCH of amazing CAS and build/buy objects with new functionality, and a storyline that story simmers can have a blast with if it fits their theme).

I don't know. I just feel like a lot of simmers are just... expecting each expansion pack and game pack to be the next savior of the game. I, personally, didn't join in on Sims 4 until both toddlers came about and then outfits and make up were unlocked for all genders. I will defend the sims 2 as the most important game in the series until the day I day, but.... the sims 4 is not and will never be the Sims 2. It's it's own thing. And being forced to play it for 2 years while my old computer crashed and all my mods from sims 2 had to be salvaged, it made me really appreciate it for what it was.

It's a fun, quirky, lighthearted game that does some cool and weird and interesting things and like. Let's face it. It will never have the design philosophy of Sims 2.

So yeah anyway Strangerville is my fav gamepack due to vibe, items, and world and the storyline is fun and goofy and has some amazing details.

The "story-mode" is what makes me dislike it. Sims is supposed to be a sandbox game WITHOUT a forced story within it. This pack just proved that the player no longer rules if there is a story mode within the game.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member

The "story-mode" is what makes me dislike it. Sims is supposed to be a sandbox game WITHOUT a forced story within it. This pack just proved that the player no longer rules if there is a story mode within the game.

Aren't you overreacting a bit.This is not the first time they did this.The sim life stories, pssp,and console games did this as well.This is not a new base game.Thid is just a small game pack who do like quests. Your not force to play it or buy it.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    New new build mode music alone is worth the pack.