Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maxis, I Love You, But...

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited February 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Well done that man. :)

I'm sure those who get this for console (when it's ported over) will be thrilled it's right up their alley. Those who never liked the game and was bored with what to do next will also love it. No doubt, but those of us who understand why we stayed with this franchise for twenty years will probably not rush to buy it or just buy it for the new 'world'. But really, they would do better to take the ideas and start a whole new franchise of this type of genre..but they did try that, with TSM and Sims Online, two genres that Simmers didn't take to, too much. I agree there is a newer, gamer breed out there that wants to change all the genres they play into something else. But most die hard fans of any genre will frown on changing their own fav. game's genre.

Why do you keep saying that about console players? What is console got to do with it?
    Console players want what pc players want and I know that from spending time in other places where console players also gather.

I have concerns about the new pack but I think it’s a stretch to say they are out of ideas because they are doing something different. I do think the game needs to try something different at this stage.

Console versions of any of TS2 or TS3 were very scripted. It's why many of those of us who love the series for PC don't buy console versions. We want our sandbox and despise scripted play. But since this pack will be story driven just like on other formats where they ported the game to different genres, they should love it, once they get it. Time to change? The Sims PC is dead.

Actually you are wrong.

Sims busted out had a story but also had a regular mode. As did the original sims game. I can’t comment on sims 2 as I never played that on console.

Sims 3 for console had a regular mode just like pc, the differences being no open world and of course no expansions. You could play them exactly like you played the pc. There was limitations with it being a console but it wasn’t scripted, forced play.
    I know because as well as having the sims 1-4 on pc I also had it for console (and still do)

Sims 4 on console is an exact port of pc. Right down to bugs. So you can’t say console players like scripted events and scripted game play as if that’s all those versions were because it’s incorrect.

Not going to argue, I know many things that were scripted for the TS2 console versions. Have fun with this pack and maybe (since they said they would do more) more will come out and you guys can kill off the franchise with it.

No need to be so rude. I never said I was buying a pack I just Pointed out you are wrong about the sims games I personally played on console. There was no story or scripted you had to play. Why do you care anyhow? You don’t even play the darn game!
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I'm sure those who get this for console (when it's ported over) will be thrilled it's right up their alley. Those who never liked the game and was bored with what to do next will also love it. No doubt, but those of us who understand why we stayed with this franchise for twenty years will probably not rush to buy it or just buy it for the new 'world'. But really, they would do better to take the ideas and start a whole new franchise of this type of genre..but they did try that, with TSM and Sims Online, two genres that Simmers didn't take to, too much. I agree there is a newer, gamer breed out there that wants to change all the genres they play into something else. But most die hard fans of any genre will frown on changing their own fav. game's genre.

Why do you keep saying that about console players? What is console got to do with it?
    Console players want what pc players want and I know that from spending time in other places where console players also gather.

I have concerns about the new pack but I think it’s a stretch to say they are out of ideas because they are doing something different. I do think the game needs to try something different at this stage.

Console versions of any of TS2 or TS3 were very scripted. It's why many of those of us who love the series for PC don't buy console versions. We want our sandbox and despise scripted play. But since this pack will be story driven just like on other formats where they ported the game to different genres, they should love it, once they get it. Time to change? The Sims PC is dead.

Actually you are wrong.

Sims busted out had a story but also had a regular mode. As did the original sims game. I can’t comment on sims 2 as I never played that on console.

Sims 3 for console had a regular mode just like pc, the differences being no open world and of course no expansions. You could play them exactly like you played the pc. There was limitations with it being a console but it wasn’t scripted, forced play.
    I know because as well as having the sims 1-4 on pc I also had it for console (and still do)

Sims 4 on console is an exact port of pc. Right down to bugs. So you can’t say console players like scripted events and scripted game play as if that’s all those versions were because it’s incorrect.

TS2 on PS2 also had a regular mode. But you couldn't travel anywhere, you'd be confined to just your house.

I never played that one. I’m talking about the sims 1 and 3 which allowed you to play normally with a few console limitations. But it wasn’t a case of follow the story like this new pack is.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2019

Actually you are wrong.

Not going to argue, I know many things that were scripted for the TS2 console versions. Have fun with this pack and maybe (since they said they would do more) more will come out and you guys can kill off the franchise with it.

No need to be so rude. I never said I was buying a pack I just Pointed out you are wrong about the sims games I personally played on console. There was no story or scripted you had to play. Why do you care anyhow? You don’t even play the darn game!

I care about the direction of the franchise. Why do I care? How about I have played TS4, I paid (not given) for GTW, CL, GT, DO, Vampires and few I'm not remembering like Spa Day and others like PH. Why do I care? Are you trying to get my thread deleted? I spent three years of my life playing TS4 and trying to give feedback to build a better life simulator like I have with all the others since day one in 2000. I played Sims City 2000 back in 1998, why do I care? Because I have been with this franchise for over twenty years. I have spent money on all the games, that might not seem like a lot to people today but add it up, I have a vested interest.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    edited February 2019
    geminiagre wrote: »
    basically what i see loads in the community is "stop doing the same things over and over, give us something new" - they get something new- "who asked for that?" ...and its really really frustrating

On the other hand, I also see people asking for the same things like University and more Occults. That's not a bad thing mind you, but honestly nobody's going to ever unanimously agree on a pack. While I have been guilty of being in the above boat before, I think it's probably just easier to accept that everybody has different play styles and not everybody's going to like everything that comes out.
  • Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    edited February 2019
    "I see several came to this pack's defense. "

So you only want to read posts from people who feel the same way as you. Disregard everybody else's opinions. Everyone has to agree with Cinebar the veteran sims player.
    edited February 2019
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    "I see several came to this pack's defense. "

So you only want to read posts from people who feel the same way as you. Disregard everybody else's opinions. Everyone has to agree with Cinebar the veteran sims player.

My post was to Maxis, not anyone out here. ETA: I wanted to tell Maxis how I feel about this direction. No one had to comment to take up for Maxis. I was talking to Maxis not fans it is others who decided to come to my thread and tell me I shouldn't tell Maxis how I feel.

ETA: If anyone wants to see how it plays Jordan just posted in another thread The Sim Supply walkthrough with GuruRomeo, showing you everything, I still stand by what I said, even after watching that walk through.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Oh really, what about your other thread, 'Do we really need three more years of TS4?'' I assume your post is meant for everyone on here and yet you don't listen to anyone who has a different opinion from your own.
    Oh really, what about your other thread, 'Do we really need three more years of TS4?'' I assume your post is meant for everyone on here and yet you don't listen to anyone who has a different opinion from your own.

"Feedback" is not meant for fans, but Maxis.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDe4BlV0DLY

Here is the walk through.
    "Feedback" is not meant for fans, but Maxis. "

Oh, your posts on Feedback are only meant for Maxis to read? :/
    "Feedback" is not meant for fans, but Maxis. "

Oh, your posts on Feedback are only meant for Maxis to read? :/

Of course, do you ever see me write something like 'What do you think?' It's rare I do that unless I make a poll.

Actually you are wrong.

I care about the direction of the franchise. Why do I care? How about I have played TS4, I paid (not given) for GTW, CL, GT, DO, Vampires and few I'm not remembering like Spa Day and others like PH. Why do I care? Are you trying to get my thread deleted? I spent three years of my life playing TS4 and trying to give feedback to build a better life simulator like I have with all the others since day one in 2000. I played Sims City 2000 back in 1998, why do I care? Because I have been with this franchise for over twenty years. I have spent money on all the games, that might not seem like a lot to people today but add it up, I have a vested interest.

You aren’t the only one whose played the game since The Original Sims. I have too. I also played sim city. But who cares? That doesn’t mean our opinions are “better” than someone who came to the series at the sims 2, 3 or 4. I have long ago accepted the sims 4 is not the same game as the previous games despite bearing the same title. I’m over it. I’ve grown up with this series and yes it has evolved and changed many times. Many of which I don’t like, some of which I do. Come to think of it all the game franchises that I play that are long running franchises- they all have evolved and change with the times. I’m not going to de rail the thread with examples but I can think of a few.

The problem is you are posting your opinions on a public forum and anyone has the right of reply. Not everyone will agree with you and there is a strong mentality of “If you don’t agree with me, you love the sims 4 and we can’t have a discussion” Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t make them wrong. Everyone is different.

• dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    You've given Maxis your feedback. And nobody has told you that you shouldn't.

But if you're going to post in any forum, you're inviting people to comment. They're also entitled to give feedback, and to disagree with you.
    edited February 2019

Actually you are wrong.

You aren’t the only one whose played the game since The Original Sims. I have too. I also played sim city. But who cares? That doesn’t mean our opinions are “better” than someone who came to the series at the sims 2, 3 or 4. I have long ago accepted the sims 4 is not the same game as the previous games despite bearing the same title. I’m over it. I’ve grown up with this series and yes it has evolved and changed many times. Many of which I don’t like, some of which I do. Come to think of it all the game franchises that I play that are long running franchises- they all have evolved and change with the times. I’m not going to de rail the thread with examples but I can think of a few.

The problem is you are posting your opinions on a public forum and anyone has the right of reply. Not everyone will agree with you and there is a strong mentality of “If you don’t agree with me, you love the sims 4 and we can’t have a discussion” Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t make them wrong. Everyone is different.

I'm not trying to be rude to you. I haven't meant to be rude to you. We have a different opinion of why this should have been a pack. It changes the genre. Watch the Sim Supply Video, it's handled like when we play the doctor career or the other open careers with a check list you have to fill like the daily job duties at the hospital. If you guys want more of that, then more power to you, but to me it kills this franchise to think millions would love it, and release more of that sort of scripted play. You can't have both, scripted play would have the advantage over sandbox, just like MMO would use up all the resources then not much left for sandbox. That is how TS2 console games were built. The console versions were somewhat scripted but little left for sandbox and many more limitations. At this point if TS4 can't come up with life simulating ideas it's over as far as the genre is concerned in my opinion. The Sims is dead.

ETA: And I'm only saying what's in my signarture so if anyone doesn't agree with me then they didn't agree with Will Wright and here we are with scripted stories in a life simualtor game.

Actually you are wrong.

I'm not trying to be rude to you. I haven't meant to be rude to you. We have a different opinion of why this should have been a pack. It changes the genre. Watch the Sim Supply Video, it's handled like when we play the doctor career or the other open careers with a check list you have to fill like the daily job duties at the hospital. If you guys want more of that, then more power to you, but to me it kills this franchise to think millions would love it, and release more of that sort of scripted play. You can't have both, scripted play would have the advantage over sandbox, just like MMO would use up all the resources then not much left for sandbox. That is how TS2 console games were built. The console versions were somewhat scripted but little left for sandbox and many more limitations. At this point if TS4 can't come up with life simulating ideas it's over as far as the genre is concerned in my opinion. The Sims is dead.

Actually I have concerns about this pack. Some of which is similar to that you mention. The difference is that I’m okay with them trying something new at this stage because I’ve found in many cases repeated themes don’t do well. I actually like story games too but with the caveat it must be a good story and I’m not sure if this is. It’s something different and all I can do is wait and see what reviews say.

My main objection was actually that console game play was the same as this “mystery” because it wasn’t. Bustin out had a story but I never played it. I liked doing my own thing on my console. I had the sims 1 on console as the family pc was used a lot so I couldn’t always play the sims on pc as much as I wanted so that gave me a small fix. Obviously it wasn’t half as good as pc so it was never ever my go to sims game because it was limited by hardware and wasn’t as full on an experience. Not because it made me follow a scripted story. The only time I liked that was in Medieval.
    edited February 2019

Actually you are wrong.

Actually I have concerns about this pack. Some of which is similar to that you mention. The difference is that I’m okay with them trying something new at this stage because I’ve found in many cases repeated themes don’t do well. I actually like story games too but with the caveat it must be a good story and I’m not sure if this is. It’s something different and all I can do is wait and see what reviews say.

My main objection was actually that console game play was the same as this “mystery” because it wasn’t. Bustin out had a story but I never played it. I liked doing my own thing on my console. I had the sims 1 on console as the family pc was used a lot so I couldn’t always play the sims on pc as much as I wanted so that gave me a small fix. Obviously it wasn’t half as good as pc so it was never ever my go to sims game because it was limited by hardware and wasn’t as full on an experience. Not because it made me follow a scripted story. The only time I liked that was in Medieval.

I like questy games, and I like adventure games where I must find stuff and figure out how or where those things fit. I bet a played hundreds in in my life. Used to be a member over on GameBoomers.com where it's all adventure. I want my games separated by a line in the sand of what a genre is, and to me, if they think this is what the Sims should be then it has killed the entire franchise and their actual life simulators are a thing of the past.

Spoilers, this game pack, according to gurus, takes about three hours to play the story. You want to change the genre to include scripted play and players to cough up $20 for three hours play? With little deviation if you replay it. No thank you, Maxis you have killed the franchise. Even when I replay the Ambitions in TSM, a quest takes longer than that. Then I have to spend all my QP to play and more quests to finish an entire Ambition. It usually takes three to seven days of real life to finish an Ambition if you don't play on ultra speed. This does not move the ball forward concerning a life simulator, it was and is a waste of your talent and time and certaintly a waste for life simulator players.

ETA: And I can say it was a waste because even fansites are rating it a 2 out of 5. And no replay value at all. Spoilers ahead if you don't want to to know what BeyondSims thinks or what the gameplay was in this game. Or what happens but it's only going to take you a few hours, anyway. And they aren't even as out spoken as I am.

https://simsworkshop.net/threads/the-sims-4-strangerville-game-pack-review.5516/

Post edited by Cinebar on
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    geminiagre wrote: »
    basically what i see loads in the community is "stop doing the same things over and over, give us something new" - they get something new- "who asked for that?" ...and its really really frustrating

Exactly. They will never be able to satisfy everyone but are unrealistically expected to. I recall some of the same people who constantly complained about the TS3 began praising it only after TS4 came out and the base was lacking. I'm sure some of them are in this thread but I'm not here to make a call out post.
    @Cinebar The team does listen, and most simmers disagree with you. They wanted this. And now they have it. Get over it, and hope something you want will be included soon too instead of attacking the devs for trying something new. It's not all about you.
    edited February 2019
    mika wrote: »
    @Cinebar The team does listen, and most simmers disagree with you. They wanted this. And now they have it. Get over it, and hope something you want will be included soon too instead of attacking the devs for trying something new. It's not all about you.

LOL No, it's about wrecking the franchise. If you want adventure games why aren't you playing any of these games here? http://www.gameboomers.com/ Have a look, thousands of adventure games for the last twenty years.

If you want questy games why didn't The Sims Medieval continue with ten or so EPs? Because Simmers don't want their life simulation game mixed with adventure nor questy genres. BeyondSims isn't me, he gave it a 2 out of 5 so who says most players disagree with me. This forum full of players who always want new content every week for TS4 might want this, but take a look at Mod The Sims, they don't want it either. It's not just me, it's more than just me, and it's not about just a pack, it's about killing off the franchise with lousy ideas. ETA: And you have The Sims Mobile, goal driven, story driven gameplay, with microtransactions. Is that what you want for the life simulator? Are you kidding?
    Wow, there is no reasoning with you, is there? Look, I did not want a laundry pack but I did not complain and go on a tirade when they made it, because clearly enough Simmers wanted it enough for it to be made. You have not made any type of argument, you are going into a ridiculous panic over one single GP as if this determines the course of the whole franchise. Imagine if I started crying as though everything else is going to be about chores because they made one silly pack about laundry.

Sims is still sandbox and always will be. I have played many sandbox games and nearly all of them include quests and goals as an option for players that prefer some type of story. Do you understand what that means? This pack and its "questy" things as you call it are completely optional. You can still play the game however you want to. Its more than possible to create your own story in a game that has stories in it. You sound like someone who has only ever played the Sims, not that there's anything wrong with that. You're just being irrational and close minded over a single GP. Its fine if you don't like it. But you can't speak for all of us and get angry when we praise it or like things that you don't.

I am fine with the direction TS4 is going, especially if that includes more stories and lore, and I will not play a different game just because you clearly fear others being happy with it and requesting more of it.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    edited February 2019
    mika wrote: »

LOL No, it's about wrecking the franchise. If you want adventure games why aren't you playing any of these games here? http://www.gameboomers.com/ Have a look, thousands of adventure games for the last twenty years.

If you want questy games why didn't The Sims Medieval continue with ten or so EPs? Because Simmers don't want their life simulation game mixed with adventure nor questy genres. BeyondSims isn't me, he gave it a 2 out of 5 so who says most players disagree with me. This forum full of players who always want new content every week for TS4 might want this, but take a look at Mod The Sims, they don't want it either. It's not just me, it's more than just me, and it's not about just a pack, it's about killing off the franchise with lousy ideas. ETA: And you have The Sims Mobile, goal driven, story driven gameplay, with microtransactions. Is that what you want for the life simulator? Are you kidding?

Well I guess GameChangers are honest in their reviews after all. Especially when those views mirror yours. :)

They also make this final comment:
    While I love how this is a quirky pack which is very different from anything we’ve seen before, and encourage The Sims team to continue exploring new things, unfortunately it isn’t a pack for me.

So unlike you they're willing to embrace new ideas and not forecasting the end of the Sims franchise.

And here's another review from Sims Online with minimal spoilers. Their final score?

L8R5HOg.png

https://sims-online.com/sims-4-strangerville-review/
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I’m looking forward to playing the new pack! For me this feels really exciting, it is weird and strange and I can add to the quirky bit of stories. Everyone likes different things, I am happy when things are just not normal everyday stuff. Also I am glad that they found a fun way to add the military career.

A long time ago I spent a few years being heavily invested in a guild in a MMO, I was an officer and held events and were available on mic and on chat. That was a really great way to really see in real life that different people truly like different things. You have spent one year playing group-content with fun people. You know them, how they sound when happy, stressed, excited or angry. Something new comes to the game, perhaps some PvP-stuff which does nothing for me but it was just great listening in on how much fun my friends were having with the new content. That was something I try to remember even now so much later. Just let people have fun, it will not always be perfect for me.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I must admit I find it kind of strange people are accusing the OP of not granting them an opinion, while all they’re doing is not granting her an opinion. If you love and embrace this new approach: great. Buy the pack and enjoy it. But it’s clearly a totally different approach, never done before and regardless if you mind that or not, it’s not sandbox. And I’d think people are allowed to regret that? And fear that, if this new approach will be a huge success, that will mean the end of this franchise the way we knew it because the devs have declared if it’s a success, they will continue in this direction. Please practice what you preach and allow others to fear and regret that?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    agustd wrote: »
    Someone on here said that times change, and people should accept that The Sims isn't the way it used to be years ago aka a sandboxy life simulator...I'm sorry but you can't really apply this logic here when we're talking about this one game on the market that Does. Not. Have. A . Competition.

Why do you think people dedicate their time to ramble on about what they dislike about 4? Because there is nothing for us to move on to. When I didn't like Sim City anymore I got Cities Skylines and loved it. Now, what am I going to do if I'm fed up with the new team ruining something that's so special to millions of people? Go study programming and create my own game? Come on.

Just go look at the ratings of Jungle Adventures. Look at people's reviews (outside of this forum as well). Look at how poorly Get to Work has aged. It's more than clear that scripted gameplay doesn't work for The Sims no matter how much the developers try to force it. You're gonna go through the story of Strangerville once and forget about it. Zero replayability just like JA.

We know this game pack is not going to do well. It's not going to age well. We've seen this before. They do not deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore IMO, you can only believe in people for so long.

We don't know that this pack isn't going to age well. There is content beyond the storyline, like the military career, that will be useful far beyond the pack. I can already picture having an ROTC group at University whenever that pack arrives, as well as remodeling some of my gyms to contain the new training dummy. And I'll be giving all my writers laptops in the future so they can travel to Selvadorada and Granite Falls (and future vacation destinations) and they can work on their bestsellers in a different location.

This pack, and its theme, likely won't appeal to all players. But then again, neither does Vampires or even Parenthood -- I've seen a lot of posts from people who want more mature content and less family play or happy happy joy joy. (Maybe the expressions on the affected Sims is the devs poking fun at how happy the Sims seem to be most of the time...)

We're 19 years past the original Sims. I think there's room to try something different and as Grant said, if it succeeds we'll see more, if it doesn't we won't see it again. As I said earlier, this particular theme might not be at the top of my list, but I'm willing to give it a fair hearing -- it has enough to make it worth the $20. New world, new CAS, and anything else that's been snuck in (have to go check out some of the B/B review videos in a bit).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I must admit I find it kind of strange people are accusing the OP of not granting them an opinion, while all they’re doing is not granting her an opinion. If you love and embrace this new approach: great. Buy the pack and enjoy it. But it’s clearly a totally different approach, never done before and regardless if you mind that or not, it’s not sandbox. And I’d think people are allowed to regret that? And fear that, if this new approach will be a huge success, that will mean the end of this franchise the way we knew it because the devs have declared if it’s a success, they will continue in this direction. Please practice what you preach and allow others to fear and regret that?

Actually we are allowing everyone to have an opinion. I'm just not allowing anyone to demean and attack me for enjoying this change, which OP has been doing. If you make a post many disagree with, expect them to also voice their opinions. Dont go on the defense and accuse us of doing exactly what you've been doing (not you, the OP and those like them)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top