Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptops are only for the StrangerVille Pack confirmed

Comments

• Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I'm actually okay with this... mostly because there have been times in the past when certain objects were introduced in a specific pack, but still included in later ones as well. For example, 'Sims 3: Late Night' introduced hot tubs to The Sims 3, but that didn't stop them from being included in later packs. Just because laptops are being introduced in this pack, doesn't mean they won't also appear in 'University'. Honestly, I think it would be a really ridiculous decision if laptops aren't included in 'University'. Especially since they're basically essential to modern college life.

To be honest, I'm just happy this pack isn't being sold as a DLC for another pack.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    People are acting like we won't get laptops in future packs. Of course we will. It's not like shelves are specifically for Spa Day or that desks are specifically for My First Pet.

But shelves & desks have all been in base game. (Except the small desk in MFPS, but that's just a small tweak of the regular desk)

We got laptops in the base game of sims 3? I just remember they were more like laptops when University came out.

Yup! Since day 1.
    sims3drm.jpg
    University just added a new version.

I really hope we get the same portability as 3 had. And I hope we get another laptop model in University if/when it comes to TS4. I still wish TS4 tablet had the same functionality as TS3 tablet so maybe a new tablet for University as well.

I just hope they add a more "slim" version. :D The StrangerVille one just looks so bulky.
    Just compare these two

sims3drm.jpg
    Dz0EJGfVsAAvVjN.jpg

I saw someone mention (I can't remember who, sorry!) that they are basically military laptops so it would make sense that they'd need to take more damage than your typical thin laptops. I could see thinner ones in university maybe.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    In my opinion they should make cars the main feature of a stuff pack (Garage Stuff or something). That way people who want cars in the game can have them and people who don't can avoid them.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion as most people want them patched in, but at least they'd be in the game.

Cars need to come in a patch,gp or ep. They have too many interactions for a stuffpack.
  • Options
    I hope sims can sit on the floor to use them.

As for them not being patched in, it doesn't bother me and I didnt expect them to be. I always end up buying all the packs anyway cos I love the additions.

Yes now sitting on the floor to use laptops would be cool.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited February 2019
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    @drake_mccarty They use cars because cars are a pretty big background visual in reality, so they're good for decorative use in TS4. I don't find it confusing at all that they keep using them decoratively, because I personally don't think cars are a great idea for the Sims 4, not only because of the lack of road access in certain neighborhoods and public lots, but because there's just simply not much need for them because the regions aren't that expansive like they were in TS3. Cars are honestly such a minor thing for this game, they can be nothing but glorified yard decorations, that they can easily be introduced as objects in a Stuff Pack.

Exactly!
    Imagine having a car here
    The-Sims-4-City-Living-Official-Neighborhoods-Trailer-0291.jpg

Or here
    12-05-15_6-29-24-PM.jpg
    Instead of cars in those 2 areas replace cars with a boat a helicopter or taking a taxi no excuses for not giving us cars.

Again, why cars? There is zero reason to use cars in this game. Zero.

Also, Builders: PLEASE no more cars taking up space on lots! I always have to delete them and remodel stuff.

cars came in both the sims 2 and the sims 3, some people like the feature, even if you don't you see!
    maybe you should just build your own car free lots?

people isn't building these lots just for you, seriously whats the big deal ? it takes a second to use the sledge hammer tool.
    people spend a lot of time on their lots and are generous enough to share to the community.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I don't know whats worse, the creepy face, or the thickness of the laptops :#

saying that the pack looks promising to me :)

• Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited February 2019
    I like to build and often will build car ports, etc. But the car is just a blown up toy car used as a staged window dressing. It has no other purpose. But when used as a marketing tool it preys upon the hopes of the simmers. Big difference.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I just hope they add a more "slim" version. :D The StrangerVille one just looks so bulky.
    Just compare these two

sims3drm.jpg
    Dz0EJGfVsAAvVjN.jpg

But... they look exactly the same thickness in both pictures?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    marcel21 wrote: »
    @drake_mccarty They use cars because cars are a pretty big background visual in reality, so they're good for decorative use in TS4. I don't find it confusing at all that they keep using them decoratively, because I personally don't think cars are a great idea for the Sims 4, not only because of the lack of road access in certain neighborhoods and public lots, but because there's just simply not much need for them because the regions aren't that expansive like they were in TS3. Cars are honestly such a minor thing for this game, they can be nothing but glorified yard decorations, that they can easily be introduced as objects in a Stuff Pack.

Exactly!

Or here
    12-05-15_6-29-24-PM.jpg
    Instead of cars in those 2 areas replace cars with a boat a helicopter or taking a taxi no excuses for not giving us cars.

Also, Builders: PLEASE no more cars taking up space on lots! I always have to delete them and remodel stuff.

cars came in both the sims 2 and the sims 3, some people like the feature, even if you don't you see!

people isn't building these lots just for you, seriously whats the big deal ? it takes a second to use the sledge hammer tool.
    people spend a lot of time on their lots and are generous enough to share to the community.

There's a thread somewhere here where Simmers air grievances towards builders. Cars came up a lot. So did the over-cluttering and the over use of MOO. I don't know how many houses I have downloaded that are so full of "realistic clutter" that you actually cannot properly navigate inside without removing half of it.

As for cars, yes, I am fully aware it is a taste thing. All I am saying is that with the way Sims 4 works, there is zero need for cars OR cabs OR helicopters OR spaceships. Zero.
  • Options

Exactly!

Or here
    12-05-15_6-29-24-PM.jpg

There's a thread somewhere here where Simmers air grievances towards builders. Cars came up a lot. So did the over-cluttering and the over use of MOO. I don't know how many houses I have downloaded that are so full of "realistic clutter" that you actually cannot properly navigate inside without removing half of it.

As for cars, yes, I am fully aware it is a taste thing. All I am saying is that with the way Sims 4 works, there is zero need for cars OR cabs OR helicopters OR spaceships. Zero.

I just find its rude for people complaining about another simmers build. why shouldn't that simmer not build how he/she wants?
    you have issue with how somebody else builds, build it yourself then!

• Options
    Just compare these two

sims3drm.jpg
    Dz0EJGfVsAAvVjN.jpg

really :o , look again ;)

• Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited February 2019
    I can see why the laptops are in the GP. They will put known wanted items or features in a pack to increase the interest. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not.

Builders are going to build whatever they want. This is their form of creativity and it has been going on for years. Quite a few are extremely skilled. They can be very detail oriented. I would not poke the bear. They willingly share their builds. They don't have to do that. I think if you do not like something in the build, it is up to you to flip it, and if you put it back on the gallery to also credit the original builder. I know that flipping can be difficult if you are not a builder, but I would not want to interfere with their creativity anymore then I would with the other creative outlets.
    Post edited by Katlyn2525 on
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Just compare these two

sims3drm.jpg
    Dz0EJGfVsAAvVjN.jpg

Talking about the monitor part, not the keyboard.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    I can see why the laptops are in the GP. They will put known wanted items or features in a pack to increase the interest. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not.

Builders are going to build whatever they want. This is their form of creativity and it has been going on for years. Quite a few are extremely skilled. They can be very detail oriented. I would not poke the bear. They willing share their builds. They don't have to do that. I think if you do not like something in the build, it is up to you to flip it, and if you put it back on the gallery to also credit the original builder. I know that flipping can be difficult if you are not a builder, but I would not want to interfere with their creativity anymore then I would with the other creative outlets.

Oh I know. And i am grateful for anyone sharing their builds; I mean I do it too and get like 30 downloads, if I'm lucky. But i tend to go for practical (NOT a dig against builders!!) and simple.

I think that whole thread was summed up with a "PLEASE before you upload, PLAYTEST". Everything else is a matter of taste. Cars, no cars, whatsoever.
    But two things really matter: 1 - have you even tried to play your house? CAN I use the toilet or is the MOO-ed plants actually blocking it? and just as important: 2 - Adding so much clutter that the thing you claim is a "starter" cost 60 000 Simolions. Because of 12523 books, clothespiles and candles all over the place.
  • Options
    Just compare these two

sims3drm.jpg
    Dz0EJGfVsAAvVjN.jpg

Talking about the monitor part, not the keyboard.

Honestly, that first pic is from a different angle; they look about the same. ALSO, as I said, the animation was so broken they had to put the mousepad OVER the keyboard. As you see on those pics. Looked so stupid I tended to refuse to use them.
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited February 2019
    Just compare these two

sims3drm.jpg
    Dz0EJGfVsAAvVjN.jpg

No they don't? I'm talking about the backside, it's way thicker than in Sims 3
    the-sims-3-university-life_pdp_stafeature_600x600_en_WW_educational.jpg
    Dz0EJGfVsAAvVjN.jpg
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I’m not interested in the concept of the GP (so far), so if I don’t get it, then I hope University has laptops.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    People are acting like we won't get laptops in future packs. Of course we will. It's not like shelves are specifically for Spa Day or that desks are specifically for My First Pet.

But shelves & desks have all been in base game. (Except the small desk in MFPS, but that's just a small tweak of the regular desk)

We got laptops in the base game of sims 3? I just remember they were more like laptops when University came out.

Yup! Since day 1.
    sims3drm.jpg
    University just added a new version.

I really hope we get the same portability as 3 had. And I hope we get another laptop model in University if/when it comes to TS4. I still wish TS4 tablet had the same functionality as TS3 tablet so maybe a new tablet for University as well.

Just compare these two

sims3drm.jpg
    Dz0EJGfVsAAvVjN.jpg

I saw someone mention (I can't remember who, sorry!) that they are basically military laptops so it would make sense that they'd need to take more damage than your typical thin laptops. I could see thinner ones in university maybe.

Have you seen the phones and tablets sims carry? Pretty sure it's just a stylistic choice.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,430 Member
    Can’t wait for the inevitable of my sim using the laptop outside during a thunderstorm and it gets destroyed 😆😢
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Can’t wait for the inevitable of my sim using the laptop outside during a thunderstorm and it gets destroyed 😆😢

Sims would have to be pretty stoopid to do that. Oh, wait... :D
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    In my opinion they should make cars the main feature of a stuff pack (Garage Stuff or something). That way people who want cars in the game can have them and people who don't can avoid them.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion as most people want them patched in, but at least they'd be in the game.

Cars need to come in a patch,gp or ep. They have too many interactions for a stuffpack.

Maybe. It depends on what you end up being able to do with them. If they come with the option to fix up/repair them then I could see them being added to a bigger pack; but if all they provide is a woohoo spot, a place to listen to music, and a jump point to teleport elsewhere I think they would fit in a stuff pack.

I guess it depends on what interactions you expect cars to come with.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Just compare these two

sims3drm.jpg
    Dz0EJGfVsAAvVjN.jpg

really :o , look again ;)

I def see an difference in size and thickness the one in Strangerville look like an old compaq notebook in it's infancy and the one from Sims 3 look as good made today. If the one in the strangerville is miltary grade it needs an handle as I used them in the military.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Just compare these two

sims3drm.jpg
    Dz0EJGfVsAAvVjN.jpg

No they don't? I'm talking about the backside, it's way thicker than in Sims 3
    the-sims-3-university-life_pdp_stafeature_600x600_en_WW_educational.jpg
    Dz0EJGfVsAAvVjN.jpg

This.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I don't know why I thought they'd be patched in. I guess since we got base game laptops with Sims 3, that they'd patch them in. And if we got Uni or another future EP then more verity of laptops. But I'm excited to have them back in the game. Just hope they all don't look like their from 2005. lol And I'm still hoping out hope for cars dang it! Stop making all these deco cars, trucks, boats, etc, and not give them to us to drive like in Sims 2. *sobs*
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    After seeing some Build mode reviews, apparently these laptops cannot be closed, they are always open, which is a little bit disappointing as I was expecting them to be closeable like in The Sims 3. :/