Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on Strangerville?

Comments

• soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    edited February 2019
    Why are EA not giving us babies that are not objects or university
    IceyJ wrote: »
    soko37 wrote: »
    Now that they've confirmed it's a full world notification world, and that we can turn the strangeness on and off and even if it is on is confined to the one-world, I am definitely interested in this.

Why does turning the strangeness off make you more interested? It's an entire pack that's just one world and one career...those are side items, where is the main idea to this pack? The mystery quest??? Of course everyone is going to turn it off. Unless you just keep playing the quest over and over.

This pack is missing the main idea. This would have NEVER been thought of as a compete pack in sims 2 or 3. They made a plum pack and threw laptops in so that we were compelled to buy.

Sims 2 and 3 didn't have gamepacks. Are you forgetting that this is a gamepack that costs $20USD (same price as a TS3 stuff pack?) The Spa Day gamepack contained spa items only. StrangerVille sounds like the fullest gamepack we've had.

You're focusing on semantics. I'm sure you're aware when I say "pack" for sims 3 I am referring to expansion packs, stuff packs and all content they sold.

Dont get me started on Spa Day...I am a big fan of the Spa Day GP. It added a lot of content, multiple skills, and interactions that can be used outside of a spa building. I use stuff from spa day in all my sims homes, in the park, and you can put stuff in inventory and use it anywhere. It was a juicy pack.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2019
    Interesting and intriguing - nice to see something new
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Now that they've confirmed it's a full world notification world, and that we can turn the strangeness on and off and even if it is on is confined to the one-world, I am definitely interested in this.

Why does turning the strangeness off make you more interested? It's an entire pack that's just one world and one career...those are side items, where is the main idea to this pack? The mystery quest??? Of course everyone is going to turn it off. Unless you just keep playing the quest over and over.

This pack is missing the main idea. This would have NEVER been thought of as a compete pack in sims 2 or 3. They made a plum pack and threw laptops in so that we were compelled to buy.

Sims 2 and 3 didn't have gamepacks. Are you forgetting that this is a gamepack that costs $20USD (same price as a TS3 stuff pack?) The Spa Day gamepack contained spa items only. StrangerVille sounds like the fullest gamepack we've had.

You're focusing on semantics. I'm sure you're aware when I say "pack" for sims 3 I am referring to expansion packs, stuff packs and all content they sold.

Dont get me started on Spa Day...I am a big fan of the Spa Day GP. It added a lot of content, multiple skills, and interactions that can be used outside of a spa building. I use stuff from spa day in all my sims homes, in the park, and you can put stuff in inventory and use it anywhere. It was a juicy pack.

Well, back then, people were eager to purchase $20 stuff packs. If a $20 pack full of stuff was acceptable, surely a game pack for the same price would have been well received. Heck, we even bought store worlds for that price.

I'm actually suprised that you consider Spa Day a juicy pack, but not StrangerVille? Personally, I think they're both worth it. Spa Day focuses on one thing (similar to vampires) so there's more detail, but StrangerVille is more broad. As a gamepack, it seems complete to me and I haven't seen all of the content, yet. None of us have.
  • PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    I like new adventures, it's nice to have something new.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    Imagine thinking adding a totally scripted, depth and originality lacking story driven game pack to a game that doesn't even have half the basic features ppl have been asking for since 2014 is a good idea.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited February 2019
    My first thought was "No way" but I'm looking forward to finding out more about it now. I'm not sure that I'll buy it full price, but we'll see. I once swore I'd never buy Get Famous and I ended up liking it a lot. It's impossible that any new pack will please everyone and, while we're all entitled to our opinions, I think that there have been rather too many nasty comments made against EA for this one, which is a shame.
    Post edited by Mariefoxprice83 on
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    ouuu…
    We never had a Job in a gameplay pack
    Outdoor Retreat? naaah!
    Spa Day? Yoga Instructor … naah!
    Dine Out? beeing your own chef, waitress? naah! (and beeing a Manager doesnt count as a real job, doesnt add any description, ist like beeing a collecter)
    Parenthood? educator? daycar? naah!
    Vampires? naah!
    Jungel Adventure? Archeologist… naah!
    At least StrangerVille is giving as a Job, a new aspiration, a new trait and a big World for a gamepack. I see improvements.
  • JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    Interesting idea but looks weirdly executed
    I find StrangerVille GP sits in a very odd line between basic contents that should've been in the base game, and gameplay should've been more expanded with the new strangeness theme.
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2019
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    Just curious... is it still true that we have several years (3 to 5) more of this new and exciting content to look forward to for ts4? I haven't been keeping up if that's still true.

Yes - it even sounds as if there is no end in sight if you read Grants tweets. He says they are working on content for literally years out for Sims 4 "with no end in sight" in one of his latest tweets.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Many people are conflating their own personal timeline and preference of content with EA 's timeline. Meaning players want what they want when they want it and anything less is plum. Are there themes and objects from previous packs that should make their way into the 4th iteration, most certainly. Does that prevent room for new experiences? It shouldn't. This iteration of the series is intended to last longer. Also, some people need to reconcile with the fact that some things from previous versions will not return, or won't return as they prefer and how to deal with that.

I'm not saying love or like this pack, I'm saying I'm noticing some people can't even entertain the possibility because they've yet to get what they want. This sets them up for continued disappointment.

• LimorzLimorz Posts: 77 Member
    more of a why are the build items so ugly!!!
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited February 2019
    Limorz wrote: »

I like the victorian stuff. The only things I thought were ugly are the floors, one being just the same we have in the base game with dirt on it.
  • Tenchi2aTenchi2a Posts: 105 Member
    edited February 2019
    After watching some game play and content videos for this pack I have to say its a hard pass.
    There is little to this pack that makes it worth buying.

Of the the new items, the only ones that seemed worth it were the laptop and the fighting stand.
    Then I find that the laptop is just a computer you can put in your inventory, but can't interact with it till you place it on a table.
    You can't even tell your sims to place it from you inventory, you have to move it yourself.
    The fighting stand is just a new workout tool.
    There is no martial arts skill, it just improves fitness.

The story, which is what they are pushing as the selling point seems to be a scavenger hunt and a lot of running back and forth.
    It's your typical MMO fetch quest layout.
    Go to the base find x/x files.
    Go to town talk to x people.
    Rinse and repeat.

As for the 11 lots it seems all but 2 are used.
    Outside of 2 empty and 2 low cost lot, all the rest are used for the story in some way.
    And one of the low cost lots is a reuses of a house from the core game.
    In conclusion, the only way to use most of these lots is to bulldoze most of the town.

That said this seems to be just another money grab by EA as opposed to providing us what we asked for.
    But like always this is MHO.

P.S. The Military career is just a rabbit hole that has been done better by the modders.
  • LimorzLimorz Posts: 77 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Limorz wrote: »

I like the victorian stuff. The only things I thought were ugly are the floors, one being just the same we have in the base game with dirt on it.

Oh I meant the buy catalog! the build is decent, I mean the windows and doors are
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Tenchi2a wrote: »
    After watching some game play and content videos for this pack I have to say its a hard pass.
    There is little to this pack that makes it worth buying.

Of the the new items, the only ones that seemed worth it were the laptop and the fighting stand.
    Then I find that the laptop is just a computer you can put in your inventory, but can't interact with it till you place it on a table.
    You can't even tell your sims to place it from you inventory, you have to move it yourself.
    The fighting stand is just a new workout tool.
    There is no martial arts skill, it just improves fitness.

The story, which is what they are pushing as the selling point seems to be a scavenger hunt and a lot of running back and forth.
    It's your typical MMO fetch quest layout.
    Go to the base find x/x files.
    Go to town talk to x people.
    Rinse and repeat.

As for the 11 lots it seems all but 2 are used.
    Outside of 2 empty and 2 low cost lot, all the rest are used for the story in some way.
    And one of the low cost lots is a reuses of a house from the core game.
    In conclusion, the only way to use most of these lots is to bulldoze most of the town.

That said this seems to be just another money grab by EA as opposed to providing us what we asked for.
    But like always this is MHO.

P.S. The Military career is just a rabbit hole that has been done better by the modders.

Are you sure it's just a rabbit hole? The military career was said to be like gardener/city living careers where you can either choose to work from home or go to a rabbit hole. The best type of career imo.
  • Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    It is something which doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I wont be getting this pack.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    - I really like the new world!
    - Very happy about the new career, finally my FemShep will have something new to try, she has been an astronaut several times.
    - Looking forward to the quirky/horror experience. Anything that isn’t normal humdrum everyday gets a thumbs up from me.

I have tried to play familyplay, that is a bit of a gamble for me. There is one family that I raised a child all the way to the end of her teen years and it was glorious. Then I have 3 families that I left while the kids were toddlers and 2 when children were children. So I get something out of it but mostly it is a quick fix. My personal stories when I’m resettling a planet without electricity or water or trying to tame the vampire population runs for weeks upon weeks. I never play with babies, age them up ASAP and have never done a proper wedding.

So zero interest in babies or university, I would like to see a new occult that is as well done as the vampires. However, I know that we have share the content. This pack isn’t witches but it looks very good to me. Maybe the next pack won’t be my thing, we will see.
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    After confirmation that there is no way to completely remove the strangeness unless you play the whole story, I just lost interest in buying this pack. I don't want to have to play a story I'm not interested in for every new save I create, just so I can use the new world as a regular Sims living area.

Looking at some of the comments here regarding the lots and Sims and how they are connected with the story, I also wonder what will happen if I delete these specific Sims and bulldoze the lots, if I were to buy the pack and play the story at some point.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I can't wait to deep dive into this ... the themes are right up my alley with retro sci-fi/horror and camp. I love the I guess american gothic(?) looking builds also. I can't wait to remake my basements and bunkers, scientist labs and creepy homes. First I want to give my Sims 2 remades from Strangetown a real home away from Oasis Springs but so many ideas of coming in from this. Challenges will be enhanced for me.. because of the types I enjoy. My scientists lives will be enhanced. I can even give my Little Shop of Horrors Seymour and Audrey a home "somewhere that's green". Not a great builder but I can't wait to see what comes out of this. Even the music.. rockabilly/retro/creepy. I'm all in... so very all in. I'm positive I'll be telling many stories here apart from the storyline presented or even weaved into it.
    Having a military job was a dream I didn't think would even happen in this game.. the new trait .. yes! The world is super gorgeous to me especially the richer section.. but the town itself has a great feel also.
    I've loved Sims 4 so far but I really am feeling like this is the pack that will bring it together more for my characters.
    I still want Witches, University, Farming, Swimmable Oceans, Servos.. but uggh. Gimme this now.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Jonathan777Jonathan777 Posts: 170 Member
    This looks so freaky and fun, can't wait until I buy and play it.
    oNPKztK.jpg
    LOVE IS LOVE - Gilbert and Bruno Ferro
    He/They
  • LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    Many people are conflating their own personal timeline and preference of content with EA 's timeline. Meaning players want what they want when they want it and anything less is plum. Are there themes and objects from previous packs that should make their way into the 4th iteration, most certainly. Does that prevent room for new experiences? It shouldn't. This iteration of the series is intended to last longer. Also, some people need to reconcile with the fact that some things from previous versions will not return, or won't return as they prefer and how to deal with that.

I'm not saying love or like this pack, I'm saying I'm noticing some people can't even entertain the possibility because they've yet to get what they want. This sets them up for continued disappointment.

We are on the 4th iteration. Simmers have spent over $500 on these packs. Sequels should expand on the previous games. Yes we lost the open world, yes we lost CASt, those losses were something most could live with because they affected performance. But there are MANY features that were amazing from 2 and 3 that are still not in the game, and we have no idea why.

It has been 5 years. In those 5 years the team could’ve given us everything that was in previous iterations to make everyone shut up and THEN given us the wacky and weird stuff. A lot of us can’t go back to TS3, and TS2 looks dated without a lot of CC, so we’re stuck with TS4. And we’ve spent over $500. It’s high time to plug in everything that’s missing. Instead it’s yet another RPG pack with a one time story in a sand box simulation game. It’s just really frustrating.

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    After watching a complete playthrough by a Game Changer, I'm so glad I didn't waste money on this. The story can be beaten in less than a day and it's repetitive af. The military career is just there and hilariously you don't need to touch it or interact with any military townies for the story at all. It only makes me more upset that of all the packs where they could have given us military career, they chose this one. :/
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    The more I find out about this pack, the more I'm going 'no thanks'. NO way I'm paying 20 bucks for badly executed and lazy rpg gameplay in my simulation and sandbox game. I might get it at a discount for the objects later, but at 20 it's an overpriced stuff pack, nothing more. As usual there are WAY too much objects that are deco - I get that they can't make everything usable, but at least they could have made the trailers usable, or added trailer assets so we could build our own trailers. And WHY are we not getting a new skill?

I get that it probably take a lot of work to make the mystery, but if the end result isn't worth it, then it's not worth it, you can't get around that. In a product like this, it won't matter how many hours they spent on the mystery part - as with any gameplay feature, only the end result matters. And it's not even well written or have any replayability. You can tell the devs are not used to making rpg stories for games - it actually requires some knowledge to not make it useless and not make it grindy. I'm sorry, but this pack comes off as extremely lazy and almost exploitative, and I'm sure that wasn't the intent - I'm sure they had to work really hard on it, but if it's not compelling and adds to the overall game, then sorry to say, it shouldn't be the main focus of a pack, it just shouldn't.

I could buy the concept of a rpg component if the main focus of the pack was something else, maybe a feature that gave us tools to make our own stories, like a mystery solving skill that depended on different objects that were placed on the lots you were on, so depending on the objects you place, the story would change - that way you could place objects on residential lots or community lots and your sim would have to go around and investigate. The objects could even have a randomization aspect, so the story of the investigation would be different each time.
    I'm just spitballing here right now, but I'm sure I could even come up with something even more interesting with some time. SO lame that we couldn't get something like that instead of this linear, non-sandbox storytelling. I'm super disappointed in this.

Hey EA, if you need ideas about how to make sandbox tools for the game, hit me up. I'd give you my ideas for free.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    When I think of something new, I didn't think it would be something story driven with a boss fight. It is just weird and not even challenging from what I have heard. I also find it funny people scored it high like 8.2 out of 10 and then said they would only play it once. How can something with no replay value get such a high score. I don't get it. I really wish there was an option to turn the story off without having to play through it once. The world is beautiful and I will probably get it when it is 10 bucks for the world but not for 20.
  • Interesting and intriguing - nice to see something new
    i want to watch lets plays to find out more whats its abt and to see if i want to get it but i dont want to spoil it for when i do get it.