Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maxis, I Love You, But...

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member

I hope it won't be sucessful. The Sims is defenitely the target of EA to experiment the worst things ever... I'm so sad...

So that means you're not getting it. Right? And you no longer want to be considered for the giveaway?

I don't care it's just a giveaway. I prefer to care about the future of the game that I love since I'm a little kid instead of being influenced by someone who's trying to blackmail me.

I'm not trying to blackmail you. I'd just rather see the game go to someone who's excited and looking forward to playing it.

Of course I'm excited about pretty much everything is related to The Sims. You can put me away from your giveaway cause I can afford it myself. But it's not because I know that I will enjoy a dlc that I'm supposed to shut my mouth, it's a proof that I care of this game.

If you think the game is going in the wrong direction then I would think you'd want to send a message to the developers that you don't support this pack.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    geminiagre wrote: »
    basically what i see loads in the community is "stop doing the same things over and over, give us something new" - they get something new- "who asked for that?" ...and its really really frustrating

Something new, just read the ideas section. It's not that hard, but obvivously they didn't want to do any of those hundreds of pages of ideas but wanted to write their own story.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

I hope it won't be sucessful. The Sims is defenitely the target of EA to experiment the worst things ever... I'm so sad...

So that means you're not getting it. Right? And you no longer want to be considered for the giveaway?

I don't care it's just a giveaway. I prefer to care about the future of the game that I love since I'm a little kid instead of being influenced by someone who's trying to blackmail me.

I'm not trying to blackmail you. I'd just rather see the game go to someone who's excited and looking forward to playing it.

Of course I'm excited about pretty much everything is related to The Sims. You can put me away from your giveaway cause I can afford it myself. But it's not because I know that I will enjoy a dlc that I'm supposed to shut my mouth, it's a proof that I care of this game.

If you think the game is going in the wrong direction then I would think you'd want to send a message to the developers that you don't support this pack.

What will change for them or for the game? I'm not that important for them.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited February 2019

What will change for them or for the game? I'm not that important for them.

I agree, what's important is they are tired of building The Sims and wanted to try something else AKA this next pack. It says a lot about burn out. ETA: What someone forgot to ask is how does this expand the life simulator and how does this broaden gameplay of the life simulator genre. It doesn't. There is an old joke Will Wright would throw people out of his office if he didn't like their ideas about his game, I think he would have done it here.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member

No one said anyone should "shut their mouth"

SimSimmer -> Who asked for this? This pack is stupid. Why don't you (devs/EA/Gurus) work on The sims 4 garnage bags we all have been asking for for ages? I want my sims to have more Garbage bag options. You are lazy and you only make packs no one wants. You are killing the franchise

SimmerSim -> Meh, this pack is not my cup of tea. I'll pass on this one. I hope the next pack is garbage bag pack ... Sims really need new garbage bag options

SimSimSimmer -> This pack looks ok. I'm not into that kind of gameplay much but i'll give it a shot. I'll wait till others get it and say their opinions on it before buying

See the difference?
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited February 2019

SimSimmer -> Who asked for this? This pack is stupid. Why don't you (devs/EA/Gurus) work on The sims 4 garnage bags we all have been asking for for ages? I want my sims to have more Garbage bag options. You are lazy and you only make packs no one wants. You are killing the franchise

SimmerSim -> Meh, this pack is not my cup of tea. I'll pass on this one. I hope the next pack is garbage bag pack ... Sims really need new garbage bag options

SimSimSimmer -> This pack looks ok. I'm not into that kind of gameplay much but i'll give it a shot. I'll wait till others get it and say their opinions on it before buying

See the difference?

I'm not a native speaker and everyone can sometimes misunderstand, even if it's your mother tong, right? Anyway, we'll not stay on this for the whole thread. :weary: And for me it was like ''oh you say something bad about the pack, so I'm gonna talk about the giveaway to bring you back on the right way.'' Anyway, let's go back to the actual topic.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited February 2019

See the difference?

My original post is nothing like the examples you give, please don't derail my thread. This genre doesn't fit within the life simulator, period. The idea should have been shown the door. It has nothing to do with people wanting something no one else wanted, like more garbage bag options. It says if you have so many wonderful ideas to build a better life simulator then where are they? They reverted back to what is easy to do, instead of outside the box, scripted play, is one of the easiest things to build. Coming up with ideas of how to build a better life simulator, god game is harder, and it's obvivous to me, they went the easier route. Fast money and chop up the forumla of a life simulator.
  • geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited February 2019

I'm not a native speaker and everyone can sometimes misunderstand, even if it's your mother tong, right? Anyway, we'll not staying on this for the whole thread. :weary: And for me it was like ''oh you say something bad about the pack, so I'm gonna talk about the giveaway to bring you back on the right way.'' Anyway, let's go back to the actual topic.

I'm not a native speaker myself
    Cinebar wrote: »
    My original post is nothing like the examples you give, please don't derail my thread. This genre doesn't fit within the life simulator, period. The idea should have been shown the door. It has nothing to do with people wanting something no one else wanted, like more garbage bag options. It says if you have so many wonderful ideas to build a better life simulator then where are they? They reverted back to what is easy to do, instead of outside the box, scripted play, is one of the easiest things to build. Coming up with ideas of how to build a better life simulator, god game is harder, and it's obvivous to me, they went the easier route. Fast money and chop up the forumla for a life simulator.

As you said, It's an example. so is "garbage bags" that in fact stands for things that MOST people want, that's why i used it twice.
    "This genre doesn't fit within the life simulator, period. The idea should have been shown the door" is not a nice thing to say about something you don't like. Some people worked really hard on this, and some people are very excited for it and are really liking the idea. It doesn't show any respect to either of them. You can't ask ppl to respect your opinion when you don't respect theirs. You should have worded it diffrently. " i don't like the pack, i don't think it fits the sims in my opinion and I'll pass"

BTW do you actually believe they are not working on something else already? They are def not working one pack each time , cause we'd get 1 pack every 2 years. There 100% working on at least 2-3 packs at the same time,(not simultaniously but most likely in varius stages of development) How do we know they aren't working , on Uni, Farming , or witches? We dont! So why do you mind if while working on something you might want, they provide other simmers what might appeal to them? Or do you believe that every pack that comes out should appeal to each and every one of us?

Oh and you know the basic thing with dlc and games that have those is:They give you the basic skeleton (base game) and then it's pick and choose... Each one buys the packs that appeal to them. No one is forcing anyone to buy ALL the packs if they don't like them. So everyone can have in their game what they enjoy the most.
    edited February 2019
    I don't see how StrangerVille isn't sandbox?

For a start, there are things you can use straight away that have nothing to do with the 'mystery': The military career, laptops, the western-style world ( with 11 lots) and clothes, conspiracy theorist outfits, all the build&buy objects. < That alone seems more useful than the entirety of Spa day.

And secondly, any sim can investigate the StrangerVille goings on, and have any reaction to it that they want. I highly doubt it's going to have point to point objectives in the way 'Life stories' did, with chapters that tell you how your sims feel, it's still the Sims 4. You could use a Military sim, conspiracy theorist, detective, regular Jo. Perhaps an Alien that feels responsible for leaking their dangerous plants into the world? Do they want to continue finding out about the mystery? Or do they cower away and deny everything? Yada yada. You're using the tools to tell whatever story you want to. For me, I have a conspiracy theorist sim and am elated to now have the tools to make her story happen, is that not the definition of sandbox?

It's not so different from Jungle Adventures in that there's mysteries to uncover, and any sim can undertake that mission. So I'm confused as to why people are suddenly disappointed, when similar stuff existed, not only in sims 4, but in Sims 3 with world adventures. And if you don't have any sims who would be intrigued by the adventure, you can still use the world and the build/buy as much as you like. Just like Jungle Adventures.

From the top of my head, I can think of plenty of sims that now have story-opportunities opened to them: Aforementioned Detectives, Military families like the sims 2 Grunts, Aliens, Conspiracy theorists, and beyond that, Local parliament/Mayors/Sheriffs keeping things hushed, Religious fanatics, Mad scientists, maybe even an ambitious gardener who wants some of those fruits himself. That's more characters than I could think of for Jungle adventure.

I think you miss the point. We buy packs for gameplay, not a world, not the stuff, not the CAS. The gameplay (if you ignore the story) is non existant. It's just another town you are going to pay $20 to have and some objects and CAS. Sorry, it's a GP, and the gameplay should have expanded the life simulator instead of a glorified stuff pack. If they want to sell a new world, I'm not against it, open a TS4 store. If they want to sell some CAS items maybe we will also get The Sims Mobile microtransactions and buy swatches. But a GP or EP is supposed to understand they are there to broaden the entire game not slink off into no man's land and if you don't play the story you wind up with some 'stuff'.

ETA: I quit TS3 the day they announced WA.

I'm not a native speaker and everyone can sometimes misunderstand, even if it's your mother tong, right? Anyway, we'll not staying on this for the whole thread. :weary: And for me it was like ''oh you say something bad about the pack, so I'm gonna talk about the giveaway to bring you back on the right way.'' Anyway, let's go back to the actual topic.

I'm not a native speaker myself
    My original post is nothing like the examples you give, please don't derail my thread. This genre doesn't fit within the life simulator, period. The idea should have been shown the door. It has nothing to do with people wanting something no one else wanted, like more garbage bag options. It says if you have so many wonderful ideas to build a better life simulator then where are they? They reverted back to what is easy to do, instead of outside the box, scripted play, is one of the easiest things to build. Coming up with ideas of how to build a better life simulator, god game is harder, and it's obvivous to me, they went the easier route. Fast money and chop up the forumla for a life simulator.

As you said, It's an example. so is "garbage bags" that in fact stands for things that MOST people want, that's why i used it twice.
    "This genre doesn't fit within the life simulator, period. The idea should have been shown the door" is not a nice thing to say about something you don't like. Some people worked really hard on this, and some people are very excited for it and are really liking the idea. It doesn't show any respect to either of them. You can't ask ppl to respect your opinion when you don't respect theirs. You should have worded it diffrently. " i don't like the pack, i don't think it fits the sims in my opinion and I'll pass"

BTW do you actually believe they are not working on something else already? They are def not working one pack each time , cause we'd get 1 pack every 2 years. There 100% working on at least 2-3 packs at the same time,(not simultaniously but most likely in varius stages of development) How do we know they aren't working , on Uni, Farming , or witches? We dont! So why do you mind if while working on something you might want, they provide other simmers what might appeal to them? Or do you believe that every pack that comes out should appeal to each and every one of us?

Oh and you know the basic thing with dlc and games that have those is:They give you the basic skeleton (base game) and then it's pick and choose... Each one buys the packs that appeal to them. No one is forcing anyone to buy ALL the packs if they don't like them. So everyone can have in their game what they enjoy the most.

You have to know they must have a set amount of packs they will be releasing before this game ends. Right? I'm sure they do discuss that with each new yearly budget. A story driven pack doesn't fit the genre. If someone can't understand that, then they really didn't understand The Sims to start with. And besides there goes one of those slots during that year. We've all heard the reasons, we had to leave this out or cut that if you want this or this etc. Well, because they decided they wanted to write a scripted story in a life simulator then there goes something someone probably really wanted. It didn't belong.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited February 2019
    I think you miss the point. We buy packs for gameplay, not a world, not the stuff, not the CAS. The gameplay (if you ignore the story) is non existant. It's just another town you are going to pay $20 to have and some objects and CAS. Sorry, it's a GP, and the gameplay should have expanded the life simulator instead of a glorified stuff pack. If they want to sell a new world, I'm not against it, open a TS4 store. If they want to sell some CAS items maybe we will also get The Sims Mobile microtransactions and buy swatches. But a GP or EP is supposed to understand they are there to broaden the entire game not slink off into no man's land and if you don't play the story you wind up with some 'stuff'.

I get that.

But like I said, if you don't play the story, then you still have the military career for game-play, as well as the town and all the themed & normal clothes and furniture. If you consider the other game-packs, e.g. Spa Day, if you don't like spa stuff, you've essentially got nothing. The wellness skill is attached to spa activities, as well as all the build & buy. If you take away restaurants from Dine out, you've only got build & buy objects. With Jungle adventures, if you took out exploring tombs, you'd have a rather uninteresting holiday experience, the mechanics of which were already in Outdoor retreat, another dance, and archaeology career. I consider those on-par if not worse than what we get in StrangerVille, a residential world with 11 lots, military career, and props for an abundance of characters, as well as general build&buy stuff that is totally re-usable.

You can have the world any way you want it. A normal world? Just don't engage in the story, or finish the story. A strange world? Engage but don't complete it, or finish the story and choose to keep the strange-ness.

Also, just because you don't personally find use in an asset, doesn't mean it isn't sandbox.
    Post edited by dreamprisoner on
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    But who is to say this is not something people wanted or might want? The couple hundred or maybe thousands on forums and other social media? Do we know what the other 100,000+ players want? Sandbox games are not exempt from having some type of goal, even if it can be mostly ignored. This is nothing new. I've been playing since 2003 and this type of content is right up my alley. Had it been something like witches or Uni EP I'd have been content but wouldn't lose my mind over something I've played in similar forms in 2 iterations spanning over 9 years.

The comparisons to being a world pack if the story is ignored...well didn't some worlds cost up to $35 depending on the package? Even so, I'm looking forward to new gameplay items, the new military active career and the world. That has been my playstyle since the very beginning and it's a major reason story based or goal oriented simulations go side by side for me.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I think Cinebar is just saying that the franchise is deviating too far away from the type of packs normally added to a legit The Sims iteration. Story driven games should be spin-offs, not part of the iteration as they were in previous iterations. To add what is actually a spin-off to TS4 is LAZY, so I understand the anger about it. Why didn't they just do a proper spin-off? Isn't TS4 due one anyway? it's because it takes too much effort since you have to add more to a spin-off. You won't need to if it's just one of the many lame packs for TS4.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited February 2019
    I think it was very clever of them to do it this way. Why make it a spin-off if they can work it in to the Sims4? They are giving you the option to play the mystery or just opt out of it.....love that part. I am not sure I would have been interested in it if it wasn't an option. You get a world with 11 lots, play it normal (although I am interested in playing it both ways), and can't wait to see what all comes with this pack.

Times change, just like in real life. I have always said Sims4 was different, and it is. I have watched my kids grow up and see the technology improved over the years and I have adjusted to it. Just like Sims4, they change with the times. I am not looking to be stuck back to the very beginning, I want new and different stuff (and even though we get stuff we had before, the difference here is they improve and add to it).

My sandbox vision must be different then yours because I feel I can still play the game just the same as I have since the beginning. My way of playing might be boring to others, but to me, "I play it my way". So what is your way of playing that they took away?
    A story driven pack doesn't fit the genre. If someone can't understand that, then they really didn't understand The Sims to start with. /quote]

I guess I am one who never understood it from the beginning according to you.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2019
    I think Cinebar is just saying that the franchise is deviating too far away from the type of packs normally added to a legit The Sims iteration. Story driven games should be spin-offs, not part of the iteration as they were in previous iterations. To add what is actually a spin-off to TS4 is LAZY, so I understand the anger about it. Why didn't they just do a proper spin-off? Isn't TS4 due one anyway? it's because it takes too much effort since you have to add more to a spin-off. You won't need to if it's just one of the many lame packs for TS4.

Agreed as the practice with Sims 4 is now paid neighborhoods and I have to pay so much to just to get an neighborhood. The problem for me here is precedence and EA/Maxis put all this controversy into place and for all I care it may have been planned not to give certain features back even if it may work in Sims 4 as someone may have saw the benefits of paid neighborhoods and other things. After the mystery is solved the title no longer rings or applies for me because it is over and unlike JA in which the temples change up but not in SV even though they said there is some minor variations. Yes, I am going to buy the pack but not what they want for it and I will pay what I feel it is really worth even if it is $5.99. I also look at track records and what was said about other games such as Sims City 2013 in which they were saying maybe not in the same sense as this game but it was more of keeping Sims City 2013 going for an long while and then came the day the game was laid to rest. Same thing can happen here even if all is said and done.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I agree SO much with this....what kinda puzzles me is why do they decide to do THIS first when we told them what we would like to see. Honestly they should have waited for this last or made this it's own spin-off game...I did NOT buy the sims for a storyline this is supposed to be MY STORY...and honestly I don't see the point..this seems so wasted.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 783 Member
    Sims 4: EA creates, EA rules. No such thing as you playing your own stories or being able to use your own NPCs...you play EA's stories,and you use EA's ugly townie NPCs.

I'm hoping for a Sims 1 Complete Collection reboot soon,so I can play my own stories.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Sims 4: EA creates, EA rules. No such thing as you playing your own stories or being able to use your own NPCs...you play EA's stories,and you use EA's ugly townie NPCs.

I'm hoping for a Sims 1 Complete Collection reboot soon,so I can play my own stories.

So true and LMAO :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    I see this game pack as like a world pack. But this world has a story to it. Honestly it gives character to the world! You can still play a sandbox game if you want.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    CeCeDot wrote: »
    I see this game pack as like a world pack. But this world has a story to it. Honestly it gives character to the world! You can still play a sandbox game if you want.

Don't worry lots of us agree with you. Just play and enjoy in your own way. :)
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I was just wondering if you had seen this yet @Cinebar?
    It was an interesting challenge designing the story for StrangerVille. As you're pointing out, players can change who lives there and even what the lot types are, so we can't rely on those being the same as what we ship.

We did include a few things specific to some of the pre-made households and their houses, but it won't break the story if you get rid of them or bulldoze their lots. First and foremost, The Sims is about letting you do what you want; forgetting that would be going against the strengths of the game.

Same thing with the venues: there are two standard venues that we placed in the world which have some special functionality. That functionality is tied to the venue type rather than the specific lots we built out, so if you want to customize your venues, the special stuff should still work as long as you keep the venue type the same (it doesn't have to be on the same lot or anything, just as long as that venue type exists somewhere in StrangerVille). If you choose to get rid of those venues completely, you might miss some of the stuff that happens there, but it doesn't break the story/investigation.

Our aim was/is to create a story that embraces the open-ended sandbox nature of The Sims rather than trying to ram some highly scripted linear experience through. Ideally, you'll be able to tell your Sim's story within the situations we serve up while staying true to the stories and personas you've created. It's not perfect (it's our first time trying something like this), but I'm proud of it and hoping it's something we can develop further in future releases.

I copied it from this thread:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16966054#Comment_16966054
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I was just wondering if you had seen this yet @Cinebar?
    It was an interesting challenge designing the story for StrangerVille. As you're pointing out, players can change who lives there and even what the lot types are, so we can't rely on those being the same as what we ship.

We did include a few things specific to some of the pre-made households and their houses, but it won't break the story if you get rid of them or bulldoze their lots. First and foremost, The Sims is about letting you do what you want; forgetting that would be going against the strengths of the game.

Same thing with the venues: there are two standard venues that we placed in the world which have some special functionality. That functionality is tied to the venue type rather than the specific lots we built out, so if you want to customize your venues, the special stuff should still work as long as you keep the venue type the same (it doesn't have to be on the same lot or anything, just as long as that venue type exists somewhere in StrangerVille). If you choose to get rid of those venues completely, you might miss some of the stuff that happens there, but it doesn't break the story/investigation.

Our aim was/is to create a story that embraces the open-ended sandbox nature of The Sims rather than trying to ram some highly scripted linear experience through. Ideally, you'll be able to tell your Sim's story within the situations we serve up while staying true to the stories and personas you've created. It's not perfect (it's our first time trying something like this), but I'm proud of it and hoping it's something we can develop further in future releases.

I copied it from this thread:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16966054#Comment_16966054

That quote right there just makes me want this pack even more, now!
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2019
    I think it was very clever of them to do it this way. Why make it a spin-off if they can work it in to the Sims4? They are giving you the option to play the mystery or just opt out of it.....love that part. I am not sure I would have been interested in it if it wasn't an option. You get a world with 11 lots, play it normal (although I am interested in playing it both ways), and can't wait to see what all comes with this pack.

Times change, just like in real life. I have always said Sims4 was different, and it is. I have watched my kids grow up and see the technology improved over the years and I have adjusted to it. Just like Sims4, they change with the times. I am not looking to be stuck back to the very beginning, I want new and different stuff (and even though we get stuff we had before, the difference here is they improve and add to it).

My sandbox vision must be different then yours because I feel I can still play the game just the same as I have since the beginning. My way of playing might be boring to others, but to me, "I play it my way". So what is your way of playing that they took away?

A story driven pack doesn't fit the genre. If someone can't understand that, then they really didn't understand The Sims to start with.

I guess I am one who never understood it from the beginning according to you.

You know what I don't understand: Why TS4 simmers would settle for less.

Every spin-off that TS2 and TS3 had were jam packed with gameplay and items so as to make them complete and independent of having to run from the main games. TS2 had more spin-offs with: The Sims Life Stories, The Sims Pet Stories, and The Sims Castaway Stories (this was my favorite!), but TS3 had a great spin-off too with The Sims Medieval who was popular enough to get an expansion pack (I love this also!). These games ran independent of TS2 and TS3 and they had their own unique gameplay.

If TS2 and TS3 had such wonderful additions to it's line-up, I don't understand why TS4 simmers wouldn't want their own TS4 spin-off that ran independently of the TS4 engine - it would be a blessing actually because it won't add stress to the already overworked engine of TS4 as it would run on its own separate engine.

I think it would be more eye-opening and more accurate to poll actual TS4 simmers away from this forum.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member

I think it would be more eye-opening and more accurate to poll actual TS4 simmers away from this forum.

Here's a Twitter poll.

OvuvArG.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top