Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on Strangerville?

Comments

• DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    I love packs that steer away from past ones we've already had.
    I'd like it more if we weren't still missing soooo many things. This is the problem we run into when they keep reselling us the same baseline features each time (seasons, pets, etc.) instead of working those "required" type things into the base game.

Just imagine all the cool stuff we could get if they didn't have to spend all the EP/GP budget on recreating those basic features each time because they stripped the base game down to nothing but the barest of bones.

• SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    Looks like something already done... with the aliens and scientist career in GTW
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 2019
    Interesting and intriguing - nice to see something new
    All in all you could ignore the plot and just use the stuff. You know, the build/buy items, the semiactive military career, the 11 lots, the CAS stuff.
  • klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    edited February 2019
    I didn’t think I would be, but I was very intrigued when I saw the trailer. It’s refreshing to see something so different and a little darker than we’ve seen in the past. It makes me curious to see the direction future packs will take.

I’m still on the fence about it and haven’t decided whether or not I’ll be buying it, though. I read that one of the SimGurus said the “infection” will remain contained to StrangerVille, which sounds great until you factor in the possibility that those residents will spawn into the other worlds as townies. I really wouldn’t want to see those creepy “hey, I’ve been infected!” faces while my sims are out enjoying a nice day at the park. :lol:

Anyway, I’m pleasantly surprised by the idea of the pack and am eager to hear more information about it in the coming days. :mrgreen:
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Looks like mostly positive reception on Twitter. Not sure about the FB or Tumblr crowd.

oggdBCk.png

• mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    Interesting idea but looks weirdly executed
    It looks interesting, but I’m kinda confused how it’s going to work.

If there is an end objective to the “mystery” there, is there going to be replayablity or be something I ignore in most of my saves?

Is it going to be a “vacation” style world that you have to specifically travel to and can’t live in or part of the overall neighborhood? If it is a new neighborhood, what size? I’m going to be really disappointed if it’s a tiny size neighborhood like Get Famous.

There are other things that I really want more than this, but I’m willing to give it a shot.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    Interesting idea but looks weirdly executed
    i don't like that the pack seems to revolve around one story. if i want to play someone else's story i can do that in a large number of games that are much better than the sims (no offense), that is not what i play the sims for.
    i need to see more of the actual new gameplay features (if there are any) and cas/bb assets before i can really form an opinion. the playable story is not appealing to me.
    but i don't think it's the worst thing ever thus far, i like the creepy alien/conspiracy idea and i'm glad we are finally getting the military career out of it.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    I am very excited! I loved the trailer and the first installment of the comic. This type of stuff is right up my alley. Plus, those build/buy/CAS objects!
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited February 2019
    mmt3363 wrote: »
    It looks interesting, but I’m kinda confused how it’s going to work.

If there is an end objective to the “mystery” there, is there going to be replayablity or be something I ignore in most of my saves?

Is it going to be a “vacation” style world that you have to specifically travel to and can’t live in or part of the overall neighborhood? If it is a new neighborhood, what size? I’m going to be really disappointed if it’s a tiny size neighborhood like Get Famous.

There are other things that I really want more than this, but I’m willing to give it a shot.

It's a regular residential world with 11 editable lots, (ETA: and 1 special lot with "secrets").

You can play the mystery multiple times, at your own pace and weave it into your regular stories. I believe there is a definite end to the mystery, but you can replay it however, it doesn't vary much from time to time according to the devs, so if you watch a bunch of play through before playing yourself you will spoil the story.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    It's not really my thing. I can respect that other people may enjoy it, though. Not every pack is gonna be to my tastes.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    I have a big strong urge to call the Men In Black with this pack
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    edited February 2019
    My main hope is that the weirdness can be contained. One of the reasons I've never bought Vampires (I'm often tempted to for the neighborhood) is that I don't like the way a 'weird' element can play an outsized role in the game. For instance -- aliens are seemingly everywhere. When they're not serving my sims coffee at festivals or following them home from work, they're abducting them. Sims 3 had this problem with vamps and superstars, but you could at least turn celebrities off. I like Strangetown's premise, buuuut I don't want my gameplay, which is fairly 'normal' to be disrupted.
  • SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    Ill take it. Its something new!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited February 2019
    @Smellincoffee It's been officially confirmed by SimGurus that, much like Las Vegas, "What happens in Strangerville, stays in Strangerville!" ;)

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Why are EA not giving us babies that are not objects or university
    I gotta be honest, I'm not into SciFi much except for a select few like The Hunger Games and City of Ember. But really, we need these sorts of things! University is a very important part of life and I want my Sims to experience it too.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• revgrvrevgrv Posts: 225 Member
    So is there not a lot of crossover between Stranger Things and sims fans? Cuz this seems a lot like a sims/Stranger Things crossover with sims maintaining their own lore.

The most obvious bits:

- coughing up into sink/mirror
    - the friends doing it for themselves/90s geek hat thing
    - small town mystery
    - ominous looming purple cloud

But anyway, I really like that they're trying new things and I'm glad to see so do the vast majority of people.
    &PHgr;
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Not my first choice on packs but I think they did this one right by giving us the option to opt out or end it by completing the story so it looks like they're learning a bit from past mistakes the world is also decent sized for a game pack that can be lived in so no complaints from me. I'm also glad to see the return of the military career the only career besides bands I'd buy a pack for and which is why I'm getting this one good move Guru's.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I love new and exciting ideas for TS4. This is the final installment that I plan on purchasing, so I want it to be as diverse, feature-packed and interesting as possible.
    I have to say that I do wish that we'd get more of the traditional packs like Island Paradise etc. first, though. I'd like my game to feel complete before it gets unnecessary but fun things, because this is what Strangerville is.
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Why are EA not giving us babies that are not objects or university
    Now that they've confirmed it's a full world notification world, and that we can turn the strangeness on and off and even if it is on is confined to the one-world, I am definitely interested in this.

Why does turning the strangeness off make you more interested? It's an entire pack that's just one world and one career...those are side items, where is the main idea to this pack? The mystery quest??? Of course everyone is going to turn it off. Unless you just keep playing the quest over and over.

This pack is missing the main idea. This would have NEVER been thought of as a compete pack in sims 2 or 3. They made a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 pack and threw laptops in so that we were compelled to buy.

• Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    This isn't really for me but happy to see new ideas. As long as it's with GP.
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    soko37 wrote: »
    Now that they've confirmed it's a full world notification world, and that we can turn the strangeness on and off and even if it is on is confined to the one-world, I am definitely interested in this.

Why does turning the strangeness off make you more interested? It's an entire pack that's just one world and one career...those are side items, where is the main idea to this pack? The mystery quest??? Of course everyone is going to turn it off. Unless you just keep playing the quest over and over.

This pack is missing the main idea. This would have NEVER been thought of as a compete pack in sims 2 or 3. They made a plum pack and threw laptops in so that we were compelled to buy.

Because some people want to use the build/buy items, CAS items, active career and 11 editable lots only? It's not uncommon for people to do that, like with Vampires GP. I personally couldn't care less for laptops i.e.

Yeah of course it'd have never been thought of as complete pack in TS2-TS3, mainly because $20 in those gave you a Stuff Pack with new items and absolutely no gameplay at all, not even reskinned animations.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??

I'm confused. The story won't be forced on us but in order to remove all the story elements we have to play through the story..?
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    LiELF wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure why people keep saying this is something new. It's a watered down version of Strangetown from The Sims 2 with the skies from The Sims 3 Aurora Skies world thrown in.

The Sims 2 and 3 had open worlds that were fleshed out through the backstory, the Sims that lived there, the look and feel of the world and the description which all combined that made them all come to life. StrangeVille appears to have a linear story that you need to follow to get the story and feel across. I also don't see it having much replay value if you're working to solve a single mystery.

I also think of when I got Get Famous and my Sim wouldn't stop doing that atrocious fame walk. Can't wait for Sims to have permanent smiles and wide eyes stuck on their faces.

Sims 2 did not have open worlds. That was only Sims 3.

I think it's still too early to really be able to say anything critical about the story for StrangeVille, whether it's actually necessary to play to get the results you want, or whether it can be peacefully ignored. The devs have said they wanted to give us the flexibility to make that decision for our own games, so I'm really interested to see how they designed this pack, what the options are, and what other stuff is included.

Remember that we still don't know a whole lot about it and what things can be used outside of the town. They're also not revealing much about the story itself to avoid spoilers, so those who are skeptical might want to wait until the Game Changers release their early access info.

For me, I'll probably go MIA for a while because I don't want to see spoilers. :)

@LiELF - I didn't mean to imply The Sims 2 had open worlds, my bad! I just meant that in The Sims 2 when you loaded up a neighborhood, you could freely move around it in a 3D environment. I just meant that was far more immersive than a flat map with clickable points.

I still think this game pack looks interesting but I'll probably just wait to get it on sale. I've never bought a Sims 4 game at full price and unfortunately this isn't the pack to change that. Plus, I just started playing The Sims 2 again today to experience Strangetown again for the nostalgia. Truth be told I never played Strangetown when I was little because it was, well, too strange haha
  • ScrapbooksimsScrapbooksims Posts: 144 Member
    I enjoy story driven mysteries. Strangerville will enhance aliens from GTW too in my opinion.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    Just curious... is it still true that we have several years (3 to 5) more of this new and exciting content to look forward to for ts4? I haven't been keeping up if that's still true.