Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    edited February 2019
    SimTresa wrote: »
    Also the game doesn't have the right kind of shower for the basement, or counter-mounted microwaves or L-shaped couches .

LOL Or L-shaped glass-topped desks or corner desks. Or cobbled-together stacks of IKEA furniture on top of antique furniture. XD

...I see a lot of MOO in my future. ^^;

• CaptainStumpyCaptainStumpy Posts: 76 Member
    Is there a reason to restrict interior wall changes? Seems to me this is just a redecorating project. Any remodel of my 70s house has involved changing interior walls and window sizes. Anything else is just a spray can rebuild. For me that's the interesting part where you can make real improvements and modernize tired design. While I can see replacing a coffee table might excite the interior design people it just isn't interesting enough for a builder-type like myself. Personally I'd like to see how people would re-design the interior spaces of older houses and apartments.
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    For the first, or original build, do we need to do just the floor plan or a full build with furniture? I don't see a way to include furniture like I actually have. Thanks!
  • FaoiltearnaFaoiltearna Posts: 767 Member
    I think stairs with landings and change of direction will be everybody’s Achilles heel here

Yeah, I live in a three storey rental house - partially submerged basement, two full levels above ground, and both flights of stairs (full flights of 13 stairs) have a landing and 90 degree change of direction, and are set in the same column of space above/below one another. I'm not sure how well this is going to work.
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    @SimTresa I have some recollection of a cc microwave that is not totally dependent on the counter top from a cc showcase once upon a time. Not sure if I want to go that far though but I would need one too. Mine is on a ledge for that purpose with a half tile upper cupboard above. (It’s the bottom half of an upper cabinet)
    Ugh! The proportions are all wrong...but, it looks as similar as Sims 4 will allow. Now to find the ugliest decorations possible. LOL
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    @BuildnShare I have the same question as someone else asked, do we need to show photos of our real home? Or does that part of the brief mean we need to show photos of our own build of our house before we make changes? The reason I ask is that I'd rather not show photos of my real home, it's not in the best shape at the moment, at least the interior. We have five cats and they've pretty much destroyed it. o.O

I love the idea of this round though. Obviously our house desperately needs updating and this round would be fun to try out (and dream) about some of the things we could do if we had unlimited funds. :) Thanks!
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    Also the game doesn't have the right kind of shower for the basement, or counter-mounted microwaves or L-shaped couches .

LOL Or L-shaped glass-topped desks or corner desks. Or cobbled-together stacks of IKEA furniture on top of antique furniture. XD

I could keep adding to that list too. I might be turning on MOO too for a few things, though honestly the section of kitchen island that looks like the wall is cutting into it isn't really pretty, so I'd gladly leave that out. I think I've figured out a way to have both a basement and a sunken dining room - the basement doesn't go under the dining room, so I'll build terrain up to where it needs to be under there. Means making a decision about one set of islands and their chairs though. The real chairs have adjustable legs, unlike the game's barstools.
    image.png
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Thank you @SheriGR for those wonderful tips!

And I’m SO pumped to do this challenge as I just moved into my dream home! And it needs decorating! :D
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • HIGHER_DESIGNHIGHER_DESIGN Posts: 57 Member
    @CaptainStumpy I do agree with you. I really do not enjoy the layout of the current home I'm redesigning... AT ALL... It's very awkward and unpleasant, and if I were to remodel it IRL, walls would be coming down. I feel like the layout of my home would handicap me in the contest portion of the Challenge. I hope @BuildnShare would reconsider the restriction of interior wall changes, so we can truly showcase our creativity (especially this being the challenge after my first critique) ! If not, that's fine too :)

Already have most of my old home rebuilt!
  • jeswainston65jeswainston65 Posts: 530 Member
    I don't think I'm going to do this one. I'm going to try and finish a build.
    I am only limited by my imagination.

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
  • HIGHER_DESIGNHIGHER_DESIGN Posts: 57 Member
    @SimsIslandheart I too am recreating a split home that was shared with my in-laws. It has all different types of weird levels, and it's annoying. At first I just recreated my portion of the home, but it ended up looking so weird, and I added on the rest on the home. I feel pretty good about my decision, despite it being a huge project now. I did however decide to cut out the basement to make this challenge not too time consuming. Can't wait to see what you come up with- MAC
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited February 2019
    lionpaws wrote: »
    Do we have to show pictures of our real home?

@lionpaws & @Karababy52 No, you do not have to show pictures of your real home.
    I don't think I can do this challenge. I live in a bachelor with two levels and the game doesn't allow me to recreate it exactly. So, I'll try.

For @jeswainston65 , @Faoiltearna and others who have voiced similar concerns - you do you not have to re-create your current home 100% exactly as it is IRL. Just make the best Sims 4 version you can given our tool limitations.
    Is there a reason to restrict interior wall changes? Seems to me this is just a redecorating project. Any remodel of my 70s house has involved changing interior walls and window sizes. Anything else is just a spray can rebuild. For me that's the interesting part where you can make real improvements and modernize tired design. While I can see replacing a coffee table might excite the interior design people it just isn't interesting enough for a builder-type like myself. Personally I'd like to see how people would re-design the interior spaces of older houses and apartments.

That's a good point that we didn't think of. We can make that part optional. Keep the same footprint of the old build (no new additions, etc.) but redesign the interior space as you wish including redesigning the layout.

GREAT Tips @SheriGR ! Thanks for sharing :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • jeswainston65jeswainston65 Posts: 530 Member

I don't think I can do this challenge. I live in a bachelor with two levels and the game doesn't allow me to recreate it exactly. So, I'll try.

For @jeswainston65 and others who have voiced similar concerns - you do you not have to re-create your current home exactly as it is IRL. Just make the best Sims 4 version you can given our tool limitations.[/quote]

ok...thank you
    I am only limited by my imagination.

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited February 2019
    No, you do not have to show pictures of your real home.

@BuildnShare Thank you for your reply! After reading over the brief again, I didn't think we needed to but wanted clarification. Also, happy to hear we can gut the interior and design an entire new floor plan if we wish. I've often wanted to do that very thing for our house. lol Might still keep the walls as is, but nice to know we have that option. :)
    Oh - we wanted to add that due to the personal nature of this challenge, we decided not to do placement awards for this challenge. Instead, we'll nominate each entry for a Maxis Fave and feature each entry on our social media. We might even do a video tour of the entries if I can figure out how to edit it. Feedback and suggestions will be given upon request in the entry form as usual. We want you all to have fun with this and just enjoy treating yourselves to a dream makeover <3
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • lionpawslionpaws Posts: 431 Member
    Yeay, thank you.
    I might actually try this. Our home is on a slope, I have to figure out how to do that on a flat to still have it look good.
    Keep the same footprint of the old build (no new additions, etc.) but redesign the interior space as you wish including redesigning the layout.

Oh good! thanks very much! I wanted to take down a wall so much!!
    EVxjqb3.png
    Attention MASTER Entrants for #BnS113 - Love Shack

Your results are now available here

3gHHX7s.png

GArBA5W.jpg
  • PinkusfamilyPinkusfamily Posts: 587 Member
    I have a question : The changes to my house are not so much - BUT I have wanted to kind of fix the layout of my upstairs so that there are stairs going down into my kitchen- this would make me add to a side porch and make it full walls- Is that allowed ? Basically the footprints of the house are there- it would just be adding or enclosing a porch and above it...

Other than this- I was thinking on not doing this challenge, But since seeing your discussions on it- I may reconsider..

Thanks
    Diane
    edited February 2019
    I have a question : The changes to my house are not so much - BUT I have wanted to kind of fix the layout of my upstairs so that there are stairs going down into my kitchen- this would make me add to a side porch and make it full walls- Is that allowed ? Basically the footprints of the house are there- it would just be adding or enclosing a porch and above it...

Other than this- I was thinking on not doing this challenge, But since seeing your discussions on it- I may reconsider..

Thanks
    Diane

To keep continuity between all the entries, please keep the before and after build footprints the same. That means the exterior shape of all levels should remain the same for before and after. That being said, if your "before" footprint varies slightly from your actual RL footprint to make it more usable in-game, we're okay with that. As we stated before - make the best Sims 4 version of your house you can. We know that it may not be an exact replica due to game needs and constraints. Hope that makes sense...
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • ZayvenZayven Posts: 67 Member
    Are we allowed to change exterior wallpapers?
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    @BuildnShare My home is a duplex that is basically a mirror of each other except in the basement/bottom floor living area. We own it and we live on one side with part of out adult children and the others live on the other side. Making the whole building makes the most sense. Would that be okay - to make a duplex?
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    This is an interesting challenge. As much as I'd love to recreate my house, it's too big since it houses like 4 families. It'd probably take me forever to get everything right. :lol: So I'll probably just stick to my room and ensuite. :)
  • CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    I will be sitting this one out, but I wish everyone lots of fun taking on their own homes :smiley:
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top