Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

pre-mades in Strangerville

If I delete pre-mades living in houses (if there are any) in Strangerville, do we know if that will affect the story?

Comments

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Good question...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • KalopsianDreamerKalopsianDreamer Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2019
    I would like to assume not, as that will be far too glitchy for many players. Not everyone will do the story immedietly, and with mods like MCCC that can age sims, etc, there's a risk of crucial sims dying, which if this affected the story... would get very messy. Remade save worlds would then also have limitations regarding set sims that have to be in the game.

I assume the conspiracy-theory-stall spawns a random vender like food stalls, and if they have any desire to add in random sims that suffer from whatever happened in the trailer and transform into a creepy-smile-sim, I hope they have found a way to spawn in randomly generated NPCs that are in the game for the sole purpose of being transformed- so that it doesn't rely on specific sims, as that could get messy..
    ĆØΜ€ ŦØ ŦĦ€ ĆŘΔŦ€Ř - ΜØŦĦ€Ř ĆΔŁŁŞ ¥ØỮ ĦØΜ€
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    The game always generates random townies who don't seem to have a house lot, so, I imagine the clues gathered from talking to others in the town would not be affected if you were to delete all the premades living in houses. Just my guess tho'.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Our aim was/is to create a story that embraces the open-ended sandbox nature of The Sims rather than trying to ram some highly scripted linear experience through. Ideally, you'll be able to tell your Sim's story within the situations we serve up while staying true to the stories and personas you've created. It's not perfect (it's our first time trying something like this), but I'm proud of it and hoping it's something we can develop further in future releases.

@SimGuruHouts I really hope you will create more packs with a story (or side-story). For example a Time Travel expansion with a story or an interesting "coverup" side-story in a Farming expansion, such as farmers using (radioactive) fertilizer that makes them grow GIANT harvestables, which bring you more money.

StrangerVille is a perfect pack for storytellers! :)
    a256aFi.gif
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    I l,ove this idea. I love sandbox play style but I love idea with story too! It some mark the special lots or sims for story? and Must I play with one family? Or Can I play story with more families? In one time.
    I l,ove this idea. I love sandbox play style but I love idea with story too! It some mark the special lots or sims for story? and Must I play with one family? Or Can I play story with more families? In one time.

I was wondering if I could make a club of town folk who band together to solve the mystery and take back their town, like in the TV show Under The Dome.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Well one thing is for sure: I am downloading the Pleasants and put them in Strangerville immediately after the expansion hits.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I'm wondering if I should put all the pre-made sims from the neigborhood in one house. The game might not have replay abilities and that way they can all solve the mystery together.
    imhappy wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I should put all the pre-made sims from the neigborhood in one house. The game might not have replay abilities and that way they can all solve the mystery together.

They have said that we can replay the mystery but it won't be all that different. I'm guessing it depends on the choices you make with each sim.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    It was an interesting challenge designing the story for StrangerVille. As you're pointing out, players can change who lives there and even what the lot types are, so we can't rely on those being the same as what we ship.

We did include a few things specific to some of the pre-made households and their houses, but it won't break the story if you get rid of them or bulldoze their lots. First and foremost, The Sims is about letting you do what you want; forgetting that would be going against the strengths of the game.

Same thing with the venues: there are two standard venues that we placed in the world which have some special functionality. That functionality is tied to the venue type rather than the specific lots we built out, so if you want to customize your venues, the special stuff should still work as long as you keep the venue type the same (it doesn't have to be on the same lot or anything, just as long as that venue type exists somewhere in StrangerVille). If you choose to get rid of those venues completely, you might miss some of the stuff that happens there, but it doesn't break the story/investigation.

Our aim was/is to create a story that embraces the open-ended sandbox nature of The Sims rather than trying to ram some highly scripted linear experience through. Ideally, you'll be able to tell your Sim's story within the situations we serve up while staying true to the stories and personas you've created. It's not perfect (it's our first time trying something like this), but I'm proud of it and hoping it's something we can develop further in future releases.

Piggybacking off this response @SimGuruHouts now that I'm reading more information about the pack, if I delete all the pre-mades including military personnel and conspiracy theorists, will new sims be generated by the game or can I make my own townie sims military personnel and conspiracy theorists (think I read scientists too)? My questions refers to not only the pre-mades already placed in houses but also homeless sims that were created for the pack (Like the Bric-a-Brac shack vendors?). I really like using my own sims but I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up!

Also, I read that bulldozing the plane crash lot could affect the story/game? Please confirm or deny.

I'm ready to play this thaaang!! :smiley:
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    It will be interesting to see how it works, my guess is that it works the same as any job role that is hidden in the game, like the vendors. If the sim who usually have the job role gets removed (or simply grows old and dies), then the game will create a new sim, or use an existing sim and give the sim that job role.

I hope that I can still edit the existing sims because that is what I prefer to do. Like editing the sims in the world so they look exactly the same as in the trailer. That's why I like when the sims that have the specific job roles are available in manage households, like father winter, so you can edit them.

I also hope that the townie generation will be improved, so that we will not have so many city sims that we seem to get lately. I want sims that fit the world but lately the game only seems to generate townie sims from San Myshuno.

This is my opinion and if anyone knows for sure, please correct me. I think you can bulldoze the bar and/or library without directly affecting the mystery. I think the issue is that those townie sims who you need to engage to gain information will not have a bar/library to go to where you will be able to find them and gain knowledge.

A good test would be if you could move those two buildings to other lots and see if the same game play is still available or does moving the buildings change anything.
  • Geralt_ofRiviaGeralt_ofRivia Posts: 126 Member
    I don’t believe so. I heard one of the gurus say though, to make sure to keep the community lots as a library and bar, in order to get the most out of the story. Maybe keep that in mind.
    True, but that's so the military and scientists will have a place to go (probably programmed to do so) and you can find them easily. I don't think the actual building or lot has any mystery features. So, as long as there is a bar/library somewhere for those sims to go to and be found, it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe @SimGuruHouts can clear this issue up. Do the lots or building need to be in those locations or even exist at all?
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    I honestly love the feel of this world and from what some Game Changers have shown it looks very detailed and made with love
    a256aFi.gif
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    It was an interesting challenge designing the story for StrangerVille. As you're pointing out, players can change who lives there and even what the lot types are, so we can't rely on those being the same as what we ship.

We did include a few things specific to some of the pre-made households and their houses, but it won't break the story if you get rid of them or bulldoze their lots. First and foremost, The Sims is about letting you do what you want; forgetting that would be going against the strengths of the game.

Same thing with the venues: there are two standard venues that we placed in the world which have some special functionality. That functionality is tied to the venue type rather than the specific lots we built out, so if you want to customize your venues, the special stuff should still work as long as you keep the venue type the same (it doesn't have to be on the same lot or anything, just as long as that venue type exists somewhere in StrangerVille). If you choose to get rid of those venues completely, you might miss some of the stuff that happens there, but it doesn't break the story/investigation.

I was spoiled (reading at other pages, as Im not much interested at follow the story..... or maybe yes?) and I guess in that case, delete pre-mades and lots, story still could be continued with generated militar sims and generated scientist sims
  • SimGuruHoutsSimGuruHouts Posts: 73 SimGuru
    @Dannydanbo The Bar and Library have special tuning for who will show up. There are also a couple extra interactions on some of the objects at the library. This specialized stuff works no matter where those venues are in the StrangerVille world.
    @Dannydanbo The Bar and Library have special tuning for who will show up. There are also a couple extra interactions on some of the objects at the library. This specialized stuff works no matter where those venues are in the StrangerVille world.

Thanks for answering and tell the gang good job on this pack. It looks beautiful and there's a ton of Build/Buy stuff. :)
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member

Does that mean any bar or library in Strangerville? Like if we wanted to remodel, or use a lot from the Gallery, they'll work with the story as long as they're the right venue in the town?
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

Does that mean any bar or library in Strangerville? Like if we wanted to remodel, or use a lot from the Gallery, they'll work with the story as long as they're the right venue in the town?

Yeah, from what I understand you kinda need a bar & library somewhere in StrangerVille for the story. I think it can still work without these venues, but the story won't run as smoothly and it will be harder to solve the mystery.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    also, from talking with someone with early access, most of the 'required' sims for the story are randomly created townies that use hidden traits (similar to the jungle adventure 'is native' trait) so they'll have the specific interactions your sims can ask (similar to the 'ask for antidote' and various 'ask about culture' selvadoradan native sims get). at least for the military types, this hidden trait stays when they're made played (and the military types are also in the military career. while the scientist types aren't in the science career, since that's a get to work career so it makes sense

there is at least one sim in hidden households, and he's one from the trailers. (we were trying to avoid actual spoilers so the person didn't mention if there were more sims than that one in hidden households, so there may well be, or he could be all on his own from the pack)

also, on editing the sims from hidden households, it's not the easiest thing, but the stylist career makes it doable when you have at least one sim at a high level in the career (7 or 9, depending on the branch chosen) so they can edit sims they see when you're playing them. interestingly, if you have the 'cas.fulleditmode' cheat on while playing the stylist, you're able to change details like the muscle and fat sliders, but not the name, age, or traits (which i actually really like, since i keep accidentally giving played sims duplicate bonus traits with fulledit because i forget to change them to their original aspiration before i edit them)
    kalaksed wrote: »
    also, from talking with someone with early access, most of the 'required' sims for the story are randomly created townies that use hidden traits (similar to the jungle adventure 'is native' trait) so they'll have the specific interactions your sims can ask (similar to the 'ask for antidote' and various 'ask about culture' selvadoradan native sims get). at least for the military types, this hidden trait stays when they're made played (and the military types are also in the military career. while the scientist types aren't in the science career, since that's a get to work career so it makes sense

So basically if I delete every pre-made (in houses and homeless) from Strangerville, the game will just generate new ones of the hidden traits? I have a mod that chooses your own sims first before having a random generated townie so I'm hoping that the sims I put in the world will be Military Personnel, conspiracy theorists and scientists, etc.
  • FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    kalaksed wrote: »

So basically if I delete every pre-made (in houses and homeless) from Strangerville, the game will just generate new ones of the hidden traits? I have a mod that chooses your own sims first before having a random generated townie so I'm hoping that the sims I put in the world will be Military Personnel, conspiracy theorists and scientists, etc.

Do you mind sharing the mod name please?
    Sure! Reduce Random Townies Mod from AKLSimmer. It's on Mod the Sims