Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seeing how the Strangerville GP was produced, would you like a Castaway GP?

Comments

• KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited February 2019
    Maybe, if it added more content that would be used outside the Castaway story-arc
    alan650111 wrote: »
    I really hope this is the only "one and done story" pack that they do. The one guru said that once you go through the story that if you were to do it again there wouldn't be any variation. This is The Sims. It's supposed to be a sandbox game with us telling stories. I want all future packs to give us all the tools and features that we are fully in charge of a story that we can tell however we want.

Woudl be cool to have a pack were you could write your story for other simmers to play, than sharing them on the gallery, but yes... Sims have to be always about sandbox gameplay, but i doesn't need to be only that, instead of adding tons and tons of Stuff Packs i would rather have a "huge stuff pack" with a new world + career like StrangerVille and a little story for us to play.
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    No, never.
    The sims is already starting to feel like an entirely different game. I dont want anymore weird packs that make it feel like a video game instead of a life simulation. I dont want mysteries to solve. I want real gameplay. Castaway would feel like a video game which if fine, I love video games, but I want to keep my sims game as something different from that as it always has been.
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Maybe, if it added more content that would be used outside the Castaway story-arc
    I think a castaway GP would be cool but more so if it was an island set up to look like that, rather than a specific story we play through. So CAS could include tattered clothes and BB could be lots of broken/wooden items. They could include a tent type of shelter but made of wood and have trees that our sims could cut down for firewood and building furniture etc. Then we could have our sims live there and play it as a survival story. Or we could add actual houses and play it as a normal island. Give us the tools to play that story, sure. But don't limit us to that story.
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    I think I'd only be ok with a "Castaway" pack if the island it dumped you on was already inhabited by other castaways who had developed it into a fairly modern society, and thus the island functioned as a town or vacation location. That way, there'd be more reason to go back to it.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I wouldnt mind as long as the main gamd remained the same. I prefer sandbox
    edited February 2019
    I think I'd only be ok with a "Castaway" pack if the island it dumped you on was already inhabited by other castaways who had developed it into a fairly modern society, and thus the island functioned as a town or vacation location. That way, there'd be more reason to go back to it.

@TheGreatGorlon When i was making this post i was thinking "how the world itself could be usable outside the castaway story arc?", then i thought "Maybe the castaway sim, at the end, finds that he is not i an abandoned island, and he was just losing their time trying to survive instead of exploring the island!" hahahaha

But, maybe the world could be like Windenburg, there is a main land and the island, but the island would be like the Get To Work career lots and would be hidden. Then your sim would have to figure a way to build a boat or something like that to get out of the island and go to the main land.
    If you didn't want to play the castaway story arc, then the main land would be open for you to play (maybe, instead of main land it could be other islands), but if you played the story arc you would unlock the island as well to play (like the Windenburg island), and it would appear in the map view (maybe should be a cheat as well to unlock it).
  • SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    The idea is nice, and I'm mostly for new content of whatever the sort, but the problem is that we cannot have everything, and in the end it's going to be made instead of something else that one might have found more appealing.

So yes, it could be fun, but at the same, I'd rather have other things first assuming we cannot have both.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Yes, definitely. The game needs new themes alongside classic packs!
    I say yes but that’s because I love Castaway and still have it on my ps2 and PSP
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited February 2019
    No, never.
    Karon wrote: »
    @keekee53 there is also a military career/military training skill, you'll probably have someone in your rotational play that wants to be a military man/woman.

I do. I also have two alien toddlers that I know would move there as an adult. I am considering it for some of those reasons but I hope this isn't the way they are going with the game. EA has really shredded so many games I love. This is the last game I am playing from them. While this game could be better, I enjoy it because of my mods which adds drama. When I get bored with it, I boot up Sims 2.
    SimsBro wrote: »
    The idea is nice, and I'm mostly for new content of whatever the sort, but the problem is that we cannot have everything, and in the end it's going to be made instead of something else that one might have found more appealing.

So yes, it could be fun, but at the same, I'd rather have other things first assuming we cannot have both.

There are other things i would want first as well... Farm, University, all the occults that we don't have in Sims 4... There is a lot, but not all of them can be made into GPs, so we need themes to fit the GP size.
  • MawMawMawMaw Posts: 99 Member
    Castaway could be a fantastic idea for GP, I do think that Gamepacks should be more about telling a specific kind of story, Especially if once the story is complete (or as they've said with Strangerville if you don't intereact with it you shouldn't even notice it) that it just becomes another part of the sandbox game we all enjoy. It also gives them ways to give us specific types of build items that we wouldn't really get otherwise, That we then get to use for our own builds, for example the crashed plane pieces we see in SV.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yeah but I need more activities, cars and better personalities first.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • ForkySporkyForkySporky Posts: 91 Member
    No, never.
    I want a Pirate EP! Read all about it in my signature :blush: It's not a linear story, but an awesome RPG-like open career with adventure things, sword fights, wars and allegiances etc.

So, kind of like the firefighter career where you would be dragged off on an adventure to be a hero and save lives. No real story, just little goals and scenarios?

• RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    I never got to play Castaways but I love the idea of it.

If we got a nice rustic island world and survival stuff we could unlock with a new aspiration it would scratch that itch for me while maintaining the sandbox feel.

Maybe like Strangerville there could be a mystery/treasure hunt story line which you could choose to play or leave alone. Throw in mermaids and maybe a pirate or two and it could be a fun pack with multiple ways to play with it.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'm interested to see how this pack works. Maybe it will have more replayability than people think -- what if you approach it in one save from a military career standpoint, or as a scientist, or as a writer researching the strange happenings for the basis of a new mystery novel? Different steps to the same goal perhaps.

I actually find Jungle Adventures quite replayable -- I've only once in a single save found all the artifacts, and haven't found all the Omiscan treasures yet. I do other activiies as well -- my artistic Sims photograph and sketch the landscape, now that we have laptops my writer Sims can go off to the jungle and work on their next novel or non-fiction book while looking for relics and soaking up the culture.

The most important thing in a Castaway pack is the curb the walkbys from other worlds -- I don't want to see Bella Goth or Nancy Landgraab invading my secluded island paradise. (Good pack name there... B) ) If I can be guaranteed not to see Sims from outside worlds wandering by a Castaway pack could work, maybe with including different paths to survival. Maybe your Sim invents a radio made from coconut shells to send a mayday signal....
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    I want a Pirate EP! Read all about it in my signature :blush: It's not a linear story, but an awesome RPG-like open career with adventure things, sword fights, wars and allegiances etc.

So, kind of like the firefighter career where you would be dragged off on an adventure to be a hero and save lives. No real story, just little goals and scenarios?

@Louise_G0325 that would be interesting, but how a pirate gp would fit in this modern sim-society?
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Of course Not; really.

I would prefer my Sims game be how it was meant to be; sandbox play. If it doesn't offer anything that I could ever utilize regularly outside of the pack's experience, it most likely won't fit well into my game. Game packs seem to fit these niche categories most and as much as I minimally liked JA for what it had, I find not much use in what the pack had apart from exotic Latin decor in houses and the clothing.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    It sounds like a lot of fun. It could also introduce some new survival skill that might be useful in other challenges.
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    edited February 2019
    It could be fun, but I would hope for something that makes it interesting even after / without the story, which would likely make it the size of a big EP.

For example, it could be things like making the cruise playable and having two companies, one that triggers the story and one that lets you enjoy a proper vacation (with various activities, bars, reclining chairs, pools with slides and such). As for story mode, I'd love to be able to scavenge or gather things from the shipwreck and island, then build using that. Then, when you reach a certain goal to allow you to communicate with the world outside, you would get access to regular build/buy (which would have been locked since the wreck) and a little later, the deserted island could be revealed to everyone and become a destination world. So you could build anything on there, from parks to houses and businesses.

Edit: I'm saying this because, let's admit it, if there's nothing outside of the story to add to regular games, it might as well not be an expansion and become its one stand-alone game. Strangerville at least has the military career in terms of non-story gameplay, and hopefully we will get some more that we haven't learned about yet.
  • KatzMeowzKatzMeowz Posts: 894 Member
    Castaways on the Wii is my favorite Sim's game. I'd love an S4 version!
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Karon wrote: »

@Louise_G0325 that would be interesting, but how a pirate gp would fit in this modern sim-society?

I don't want to derail the thread too much, so if you're interested in discussing the topic, please feel free to comment on my thread!
    But in summary:
    Pirates are a major theme in TS4 and are referenced repeatedly in many backstories, furniture etc. It is thus just as part of TS4 as vampires and witches are to the Sims franchise. Occults aren't realistic, but they are part of the game.
    The pirates in my proposal are "undercover," so most sims don't know that they are still roaming the oceans. The main theme of the pirating career would be smuggling and competition with other pirate organisations. It's like an awesome active criminal career. I think it fits in well and when one references literature and films, pirates of some sort appear in most time periods - even in modern times and the future with Treasure Planet etc.
    @QueenMercy The survival skill idea is pretty neat idea! I imagine it would be used in the Caveman Challenge, or Rags to Riches Challenge.

@SerraNolwen Not sure if your idea would be that big for an EP. The playable cruise could work like the apartment buildings in San Myshuno, with a shell conected to the ship divided into dormitories, a dining hall, etc ... Then the "neighborhood" would be the deck of the cruise, with a lot pools, bars, and other things we found on cruises. The difference is that the water in this neighborhood would be animated to look like it is moving, but in fact the cruise would be stopped (not to cause lag). It would be a hidden lot like the ones in Get to Work.
    And, maybe if you had a pack that allowed you to build Hotels like Island Paradise, you could use the deserted island to build hotesl and other stuff.

@Louise_G0325 For sure i'll take a look, i love to see new ideas here in the forum.

• KaySims22KaySims22 Posts: 1 New Member
    I came on here to look for people interested in a remake of the sims castaways. I still go back and replay it. After seeing the strangerville game pack I would be very interested in seeing them do something similar with a castaway game. It would be great if it was still apart of the base game. Unlike the original castaway that was a separate spin-off game of the sims 2. You could choose for your sim to go on some kind of “cruise” option on the phone or computer that will trigger the story for castaway in your actual game. Your sim could play through the story from there and either choose to live on the island forever or go back home in the end. The island land in the castaway game should also only be visiable in the menu if your sim you are playing with has completed the story. Just some of my thoughts about this! I think it could be a really great story based game for the sims 4, that would still be replayable.
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I would really love a Castaway pack for TS4. I tried to recreate it on my own in TS3 but it was never quite the same. But it would really have to work as both a story AND an open sandbox pack, much closer to JA. I think it could be doable in principle:

Imagine there was a destination island to visit. You get two new options on your phone for travel: travel to the island by plane or travel to the island by boat. The plane takes you to the world map showing a neighborhood with a selection of lots that you can pick from to rent for your vacation. The boat brings you to the world map showing a different, smaller neighborhood. If you pick the boat, your Sim is caught up in a storm and wakes up on a beach (on a 'secret lot') amidst wreckage of the boat. They have to survive and find their way back to civilization... which, in humorous style, is just on the other side of the island. Simply erect barriers between the neighborhoods like the jungle gates in JA so stranded Sims can't access the 'town' until they've completed the story elements.

I think this would nicely marry having a story and having a world that you can visit on a vacation. As long as there were some gameplay elements that were new and usable outside of the story - lounge chairs, ocean swimming, dive spots, etc - I think it could be pretty fun.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I wouldn't mind seeing some packs with some stories and lore to them, but keeping it more than open ended for better replaybility. Though unsure if a Castaway type deal would work, less perhaps we got a pack surrounding your sim able to go to a vacation world that involved a cruise/beach setting etc and there was a chance that they could get stranded with whatever choice given where there could be a risk.

Thing with things like Sims stories and castaway stories they're completely scripted and you have to follow the story to progress at all. For me, I liked the 'concept' more so than anything.
    5vJrxmT.png