Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why not Strangetown!?

Did we get an answer from the SimGurus on why it's called Strangerville and not Strangetown? Why not just build on top of Strangetown from TS2? A little continuity?
Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti

Comments

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited February 2019
    I don't think they've re-used any of the old world/neighbourhood names. Also judging by the name it's stranger than strange...
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Strangetown is strange, but StrangerVille is even stranger.

And I'm loving it!
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited February 2019
    I don't think Sims 4 will ever do a complete and total rehash of an existing world from past games and all of what happened in it. Instead you'll get this StrangerVille that depending on one's opinion, could either be masquerading as a newly updated Strangetown 2.0, or a cheap knockoff brand of it. You choose what to believe...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I love the extra "R" - it adds to something that was there before. It's even stranger :)

Remember that many simmers never played ts2, so to them this is brand new stuff.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Strangetown is unique to Sims 2, just like Sunset Valley is unique to Sims 3. Your characters can still recieve post cards from those places and there are other references to them so we know they exist in the Sims 4 world, but it's better that we only get to explore and live in new worlds instead of rehash the same old ones.

Strangerville could be a sister town or cousin city to Strangetown.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited February 2019
    The devs confirmed a long time ago that Sims 4 does not exist in the same universe as the previous games. And so, they are not part of the chronology that runs The Sims 3, The Sims and The Sims 2. As such, their landmarks and settlements would not be identical either.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Alternate_universe
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I suppose it's because it isn't a town? Only "a collection of villages" as Susan Boyle said in her audition :p .
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Because Strangetown can’t be in two places at once 🤷‍♀️
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    DerellaDerella Posts: 765 Member

Or can it?! Dun dun dunnnnnn!
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2019
    Eliharb wrote: »
    Did we get an answer from the SimGurus on why it's called Strangerville and not Strangetown? Why not just build on top of Strangetown from TS2? A little continuity?

Seeing how TS4 is set in an alternate universe where Bella Goth was never abducted, Strange Town is perhaps named StrangerVille in this universe.

It could also be that the town has changed name over the years. Much like Sunset Valley was renamed Old Town by the Goths, and then renamed again Pleasant View when the Pleasants became the wealthiest of the town.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Derella wrote: »

Or can it?! Dun dun dunnnnnn!

No lol, two different timelines/universes.

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    According to Grant, Strangetown was barely a thought during this process. So these are two different towns.

• Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited February 2019
    This is a game pack, so I'm assuming Strangerville is going to be a small neighborhood, not a fully fleshed out world like Windenburg, so calling it Strangetown would be a really bad move in this community. Under the name Strangetown, simmers would expect a new world, not a little neighborhood. It was smart to clearly differentiate between the two.

Edit: Just saw it will have 11 lots. Definitely not enough to do Strangetown justice, so it's a good move to call it something else even though the setting is similar.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    mauvejinjomauvejinjo Posts: 126 Member
    It is funny how Strangerville and Strangetown share several of the same geographic landmarks. Both have the impact crater on the opposing side of town, and Strangetown's main road is echoed in Strangerville's main water source that cuts through the middle of the map. There are also two dead end roads in Strangerville, similar to where the Specter and the Curious lots were located.

GTW's Future Sims Lab is set is built in a similar setting, too.
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited February 2019
    mauvejinjo wrote: »
    It is funny how Strangerville and Strangetown share several of the same geographic landmarks. Both have the impact crater on the opposing side of town, and Strangetown's main road is echoed in Strangerville's main water source that cuts through the middle of the map. There are also two dead end roads in Strangerville, similar to where the Specter and the Curious lots were located.

I mean compare Strangetown's terrain to StrangerVille's, they're totally different. Strangetown is a plain desert like Oasis Springs, while StrangerVille looks more like Monument Valley. It also has a Wild West theme, which Strangetown is lacking as well.
    d3MlMuR.png
    sims4-strangerville-stadt.jpg

Also in Strangetown there is a road & house on top of the crater, but not in StrangerVille

a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Strangerville has a proper town whereas Strangetown, oddly enough, did not have a proper town, but was more of a spot on the freeway through it.

I will be adding some of the Strangetown families like the Grunts and the Beakers to my Strangerville. Maybe Nervous Subject has been infected and the Beakers are trying to find a cure. Maybe General Buzz Grunt is/was in charge of the military investigation but got in too deep and now knows too much.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2019
    mauvejinjo wrote: »

I mean compare Strangetown's terrain to StrangerVille's, they're totally different. Strangetown is a plain desert like Oasis Springs, while StrangerVille looks more like Monument Valley. It also has a Wild West theme, which Strangetown is lacking as well.
    d3MlMuR.png
    sims4-strangerville-stadt.jpg

Also in Strangetown there is a road & house on top of the crater, but not in StrangerVille

Again, feels like StrangerVille is just Strangetown of another universe or alternate reality. Kind of like Columbia and Rapture in Bioshock.

That main neighbourhood sort of reminds me of the Paradise Place in Strangetown (PSP).

tumblr_inline_pfoxizuArK1r2szyw_540.png
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    I wasn't trying to be negative about 'Strangerville' but the name similarity could have been avoided imo if they wanna stress that it's not the same thing as Strangetown. To me this still seems like a break in continuity and I don't think anyone would have had an issue comparing the two worlds as if they're supposed to be the same. It just kind of bothers me that since they're so similar, why not have it be called Strangetown.
    Again, not a big issue, just kind of annoying :lol:
  • Options
    I wasn't trying to be negative about 'Strangerville' but the name similarity could have been avoided imo if they wanna stress that it's not the same thing as Strangetown. To me this still seems like a break in continuity and I don't think anyone would have had an issue comparing the two worlds as if they're supposed to be the same. It just kind of bothers me that since they're so similar, why not have it be called Strangetown.
    Again, not a big issue, just kind of annoying :lol:

Sims 4 itself breaks continuity so I don’t understand your reasoning?

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I think it's similar enough that those who want it to be an alternate timeline or future or past of Strangetown can make it so, and those who want it to be completely independent and it's own place can do that as well. But as someone who played and loved Sims 2, I'm feeling the connection and I like it. I also really love the Stranger Things series, which this also has a flavor of, so I'm totally happy with it so far. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited February 2019
    there not going to ever use original names from past sims games towns.

old town
    pleasantview
    sunset valley
    Willow Creek.

personally I like how they changed the names from each series, likes those above.

strangeville is a great name B)

the town tho small, looks great.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Strangetown in Sims 2 was my favorite of all the towns. I'm glad they didn't rename it that personally even though in one of my saves I do plan on moving in all the remade Strangetown families that I have ready to go. For me there are a number of reasons it's good that it doesn't have the same name. One is that if it's not exact enough for simmers there will be complaints... about canon ect. To me it's inspired by and you as the simmer play it as you want to. It's also going to be different overall but it's a nice nod to the original. I'll also be glad to look it up on the Wiki or other sites and see it have it's own representation and be able to navigate to it more easily because it is named differently.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Strangetown was a favorite but it was about aliens. Strangerville is not about aliens (or zombies) but a mystery to solve. Two totally different ideas in different types of deserts. I like how Strangerville reminds me of Strangetown, but I don't want it back. I played it (and still can). I want something new and different.
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Strangetown was a favorite but it was about aliens. Strangerville is not about aliens (or zombies) but a mystery to solve. Two totally different ideas in different types of deserts. I like how Strangerville reminds me of Strangetown, but I don't want it back. I played it (and still can). I want something new and different.

Haven't played it yet, but... like dude it's aliens. It's on the front cover.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Haven't played it yet, but... like dude it's aliens. It's on the front cover.

It’s not Aliens at all