Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on Strangerville?

Comments

• BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,592 Member
    Interesting and intriguing - nice to see something new
    Interested, but mildly cautious. More so in the execution of the content. Especially since we really haven't seen much and due to the change in tone direction over the years, I feel like it'll be not as wild as it could be.

BUT that being said, it does look really interesting and could have a lot of potential. I'm happy to see something new, at the very least. Seems the Sims crew have been very strongly influenced by Stranger Things series (plus I'm sure a few other sci fi flicks), lol.
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    My first thought was plum?!? But I am pleased, that you can actually live there. I will play and try to solve the mystery with my stream-save, but after that I guess I will turn the strangeness off and play it with military-based families and use it like any other world to live in. It's like fame, I don't want all my Sims being involved with that. Also there are some nice CAS items I want to use.
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 2019
    Rather exciting, right up my alley. I wouldn't lose my 🐸🐸🐸🐸 over University or Witches since, you know, played them in TS2 and TS3 extensively, so while a rehash in this iteration would be neat, at its core it'll likely be the same as before and that's tedious. Nevertheless it's highly likely they'll come so I'm far from pouting that they did not give me what I wanted right now as I'm fully aware what I want might not be what others want or what they want to create. And hell, I'm glad they are not bending over whatever the community arbitrarily decides should be the content released.

Remember Laundry Day? Out of all the cool options (arcade stuff, dangerous stuff, etc) the supposedly most voted option was eco living which mentioned laundry...if that's truly the result of giving what the community wants, I sincerely hope they never do what the community wants as far as content goes again.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Duende wrote: »
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if this turns out to be a one-time play-through with one Sim. If that is the case then I will probably pass on this GP as I passed on Get Famous. Can the mystery in Strangerville be solved at all? Does the game reset as it does in Jungle Adventures, so we are not playing the same game over and over with different Sims as main characters? The idea of the game pack having no lasting value once the mystery is solved isn't my idea of new content. I would play it long enough to solve the mystery then move on..

Sis, you took the words right out of my mouth. I say we start gearing up to boycott these trifling packs full of transient content. Maybe if we did like those Battlefront players did, EA would actually pay attention to what needs to be fixed and added to TS4 before running off to release these "wEiRd, nEW aNd eXciTinG pAcKs".
    tenor.gif

My personal boycott of EA and it's games, began long before Get Famous was announced. As a long-time gamer I have watched in horror as EA gobbles up independent game companies only to rake in as much profit as they can before dismantling the company and laying off everyone associated with the development of the game/games that company created. I discovered this while I was doing a bit of research into other titles not associated with EA and decided to stop contributing to a pattern of greed that has become all too normal in how EA conducts business. One of the main reasons why EA is not giving it's teams permission to create the content the fans are asking for is simple. EA is spending millions of dollars buying smaller game companies in an effort to own the rights to every new idea that comes along. One would think they would be satisified after successfully launching Sims4, as well as other games they publish, across every platform such as console, mobile, and on PC. But that isn't enough to satisfy EA. Sims4 isn't getting the content the fans desire because the cash needed to pay for the development of new content is being spent elsewhere. Plain and simple. As long as we continue to purchase lackluster content EA doesn't need to hire new game content developers or change the way they are doing business. Frankly, as long as the custom content creators and the modding community continue to create ways to make the game feel fresh I don't care if EA ever releases another GP or EP for Sims4. With every update, expansion or game pack the game gets borked again. And again. And again. Then we wait for fixes for what was broken. How long did it take for them to fix those awful leaf piles after Seasons was released? Heck, I found a mod to fix that problem 6 months before EA released a fix. New CAS and build and buy items are handed out freely yet they can't seem to fix the game they created. I had to giggle a bit at the expressions on the faces of the Sims in the Strangerville trailer. Is that how EA sees the fans of the Sims franchise? Are we supposed to be all googly eyed because they re-worked Jungle Adventure, added another desert world and threw in a new career? I will not pay for something that lacks longevity. Yes, it is just a game pack and as such we aren't supposed to expect a ton of new game play out of it. But couldn't they have come up with something a bit more in line with what so many Simmers have been asking for? How difficult would it have been to create a game pack with beach activities, a seaside vacation spot and swimmable oceans? I would have spent fifteen dollars for that pack if it were done properly. Oh well, sorry, EA, this Simmer is still unimpressed with your efforts.
  • JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    Tbh this pack isn’t my playstyle, but I must say I’m intrigued! My only concern with this pack at the moment with the info given is the replyability of it. I’m curious if it’s a once you solve it you’re done, thing? Or is it something you will want to come back to?

I’m looking forward to more info :smile:
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    I like it! It's different and seems like fun. Also, as the area is residential, there's plenty of 'replay' value, even if it's not literally. And laptops and the picture frames... Yay!
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    Love it. I roleplay as a Time Lord, and this gamepack will let me play as a "hero" for these sims.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Why are EA not giving us babies that are not objects or university
    They are doing another prep patch for this GP like they did with seasons. I wasnt worried last time cause I was excited about buying seasons. But I'm not buying this GP so does anyone know how this prep pack might effect my game if I dont have what its prepping for?

I asked Kate directly on Twitter, but I doubt I will get a reply because I'm not popular on Twitter. Any help?
  • ImSandsImSands Posts: 332 Member
    I'm a fan of all things weird and quirky in my Sims games. And I'm really excited that we are getting something completely different in terms of game play. Jsut from reading the descriptions and the info release so far, this GP is gonna be amazing
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Just like Jungle Adventures, this is yet another one of those packs that I didn't even know I wanted until it came knocking on my door. I won't shut up until I finally get my witches, but hey, might as well enjoy the other cool content they're putting out until then, and StrangerVille is definitely up my alley. So far I love everything about it, the world, the military, the mystery... Can't wait to find out more! :)
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    tanakaki wrote: »
    It does look interesting as far as a town/world goes. Reminds me of tv shows where weird is the norm. My concern is if the pack has a set story, (which is unusual for the PC Sims) and what happens to the town once the mystery is solved? I know their trailers don't equal gameplay so what this pack is all about still seems alittle vague to me.

Well, after the story arc ends... you keep playing haha itsn ot like the credits are going down the screen or something. You could choose to turn your "hero/main character" from the story into a scientist that studies supernatural/paranormal stuff. Its open-ended, they will never change that in a Sims game.
  • ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    Interesting idea but looks weirdly executed
    i havent got enough information to really decide one way or the other. but so far, im kind of intrigued. but it looks pretty weird
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    I don't know what the plum to make of it, so I will be watching videos and spoil the story.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Ok, my thoughts are:
    - Looks exciting, never seen something like that in the game. Seems like a world pack from Sims 3 + a story arc for you to play like in the classic Stories Trilogy + new stuff in build and buy/CAS.
    - Love everything, but there is not much replayability value to this, they should have studied games from Telltale or Life is Strange to add more branches to that story, this way you could play several times with different results.
    - The town looks pretty, but its a waste of time and potential. Could have been a remake + sequel from Strangetown (using the descendents as the main characters in the trailer/comic would have been ICONIC), but they decided to make another world with the same aspect of it... I don't mean the desert stuff, we had Oasis Springs, Mesa Flats, Lucky Palms, and i didn't mind that they were not Strangetown, but come on... Sims 2 is such an iconic game, look at what they did with the sims from Sims 1! The made them look alive, like if we were going to see their lives progressin troughout the future sims iterations, and that was one of the iconic parts of it, to see how the Goths were in 3D, with genetics and stuff... I would have loved to see how the Grunts and the Smiths look like in Sims 4, what happened to their families, how they would be involved on that alien-plant invasion in their strangetown... Please SimGurus, look at how much the people here on the forums got excited imagining that they would see Ophelia Specter comeback, Ajay Loner... omg... You could have included the new premades from the trailer as their sons/daughters/etc... Would have been really ICONIC, and thats the only issue i have with it. Wasted potential.
    - I haven't seen much of its Build and Buy/CAS, but i like the weird guy's clothing (a conspirancy clothing or something like that), the braided girl hairstyle, the laptops... they all look cool!
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    I like the general idea, but so far it looks like a one-time story which is the complete opposite of what the Sims is supposed to be and desperately needs - Sims is supposed to be a sandbox game where the player can tell their own stories.
    Instead it seems like this pack will have one story that was written by the team and it might not have any replay value. Packs like Seasons or Parenthood are amazing because literally every single Sim can profit from it and use it for different things.

This pack seemed like the perfect base for adding things like interesting aliens or a scientist and FBI career, but we already have these (FBI career = Secret Agents career), so to me it seems weird to add that pack now. A "story mode", a military career (still wonder how that is supposed to work from home) and a new world seem to be the only content of this pack and that honestly looks like so much less quality than the previous GPs we had. And the theme seems random because there are many packs/themes people have been wanting for years.
    I would have been more excited if this actually added some new occult or had a disease/brain-washing that's less awkward/derpy than the one we've seen everywhere by now. (I honestly really, really dislike these grinning faces.)
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Free babies>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>wall of China>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Strangerville
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    I'm not quite sure why people keep saying this is something new. It's a watered down version of Strangetown from The Sims 2 with the skies from The Sims 3 Aurora Skies world thrown in.

The Sims 2 and 3 had open worlds that were fleshed out through the backstory, the Sims that lived there, the look and feel of the world and the description which all combined that made them all come to life. StrangeVille appears to have a linear story that you need to follow to get the story and feel across. I also don't see it having much replay value if you're working to solve a single mystery.

I also think of when I got Get Famous and my Sim wouldn't stop doing that atrocious fame walk. Can't wait for Sims to have permanent smiles and wide eyes stuck on their faces.
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Packs like this, where the focus is on completing a challenge/quest, makes the sims feel like a different game. It's starting to feel like a video game rather than a life simulation. Not good imo.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    I'm quite a realist.
  • Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    I am curious to see how this will be executed in the game as I do like a good mystery. However, I wonder if there is an answer or if it leaves room for speculation like the TS2 Goth-Caliente-Lathario triangle.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if this turns out to be a one-time play-through with one Sim. If that is the case then I will probably pass on this GP as I passed on Get Famous. Can the mystery in Strangerville be solved at all? Does the game reset as it does in Jungle Adventures, so we are not playing the same game over and over with different Sims as main characters? The idea of the game pack having no lasting value once the mystery is solved isn't my idea of new content. I would play it long enough to solve the mystery then move on. We need more info on the military career, added skills, CAS additions and what new B/B items are included before I make up my mind about buying the pack. Purchasing the new game pack would mean updating all my game-fixing mods again and that isn't an easy task. If the pre-release update fixes a few more glitches and allows me to play my game with fewer mods then I might consider purchasing something new. Truth be told, I haven't played Sims4 in a couple of months because I have been playing other games. A University expansion would bring me back to Sims4 in a heartbeat. Simply because it would have a lasting impact in my game.

That is my thought once the mystery solved what is left? I may get it but not at the price they want me to pay even with the info that is being presented.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I'm honestly intrigued even though I'm not entirely sure I'll like it. But it's just the apparent linearity of the trailer that's a little off putting. Will it be a "play it once, and never again" pack? Are there different mysteries? Or any? Can I live there? New skills and stuff? Idk I'm intrigued but also really really unsure what to think haha. Guess I'll find out soon enough!
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Now that they've confirmed it's a full world notification world, and that we can turn the strangeness on and off and even if it is on is confined to the one-world, I am definitely interested in this.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Now that they've confirmed it's a full world notification world, and that we can turn the strangeness on and off and even if it is on is confined to the one-world, I am definitely interested in this.

Wait we can turn the strangeness off? I'm confused. Can you link to whatever place you guys are getting this info from? Twitter? Stream? Sorry for being lazy :blush:
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    It's cool to see something extra sometimes, but I don't forget better personalities too.
    Lu4ERme.gif