Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please don't let the teaser be Strangetown

Comments

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I’m waiting to see what they do with it.

One of my favorite parts of The Sims was always the lore the developers would come up with. The mystery of Bella Goth is what the series is practically known for. However, with TS4, they rebooted the game’s backstories and the whole thing is all over the place. I really hope they come up with something creative and interesting, because they replaced more than a decade of interesting premade Sims and stories with nothing.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Called it. They're defiling my memory of Strangetown. Sigh.
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    It's StrangeVille now
    Strangerville even.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I do not understand why they created a new city, that they could have used what already existed, it's like they did not have the rights to Strangetown.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Jean wrote: »
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    It's StrangeVille now
    Strangerville even.

My phone does not like the word Stranger it auto corrected lol
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Hahaha.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I never played Strangetown in ts2 so I don't have anything to compare this to... but I'll be curious to see how people will feel about this expansion for ts4 a week or two after its release.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    I never played Strangetown in ts2 so I don't have anything to compare this to... but I'll be curious to see how people will feel about this expansion for ts4 a week or two after its release.

As rare as they mention Jungle Adventure, and come back to request another.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »

No, they are not, stop drama. The SIms 2 will still exist the same way it has always existed. THey can't erase your memory.

Right. Most of us are fond of the previous games and have our favorite aspects of the game, etc, but think of the uproar if they only made exact copies of what we had before? And how boring...
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member

How??? The fact that they are making something similar with an strange backstory, something a bit darker is AWESOME. Strangetown will always be my favorite hood because of it.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

? I don't think this looks anything like Strangetown outside of it being a desert and having the word "strange" in it. I didn't see the Grunts, Curious brothers, etc... anywhere in the trailer (or Sims that look like them) so... ?
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    EIisabetta wrote: »
    @EIisabetta I am hoping so much for it to be Strangetown, i can't stop thinking on how fun would be to see Olive and Ophelia, or the Smiths... But i am already sad, they would never remake a town... They never did it in Sims 2/3, why would they start doing that now?! The SimGurus probably just used the wrong word in their hints...
    ooooh, but i want so much to play with Ajay and all the others, to see how Strangetown would look like filled with beautiful landscaping and all... Sims 4 worlds are really well decorated!

They could be bringing some of the sims from Strangetown, too. I really don't want to speculate too much, though! I'm interested in seeing what the full previews show. Teasers can be deceptive.

If they're not in the pack, they could have some of the Strangetown Sims available fore download eventually, the way they brought back the Newbies. Then you could put them anywhere -- I think the Spectors might be well suited for Forgotten Hollow personally. :)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I do not understand why they created a new city, that they could have used what already existed, it's like they did not have the rights to Strangetown.

Possibly to avoid confusion -- there are Sims Wikis out there that have detailed descriptions of Strangetown so they went with "Strangerville" to acknowledge the inspiration.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    I think TS4's Strangerville is more a play on the TV show Stranger Things than TS2's Strangetown. I think people just jumped to the Strangetown conclusion before we had enough info.
  • ForkySporkyForkySporky Posts: 91 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I think it doesn't matter to me what the content it is teasing is! I'm just enjoying seeing the Guru's have so much fun with it. :)
    Exaaaactly! This is how I feel.

• Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Even it's not Strangetown I'll still move in Olive Spector, Grunts, Curious, and Beaker with Nervous Subject.
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    pixiejuice wrote: »
    I think TS4's Strangerville is more a play on the TV show Stranger Things than TS2's Strangetown. I think people just jumped to the Strangetown conclusion before we had enough info.

Also, the desert location, though. Strangetown was in the desert.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member

Because Strangetown and all its quirks are unique to the Sims 2. This is a new iteration, a new, unique version inspired by the original.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    It looks like based off strange town
    giphy.gif

• 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I think it’s Strangerville is a nod to Stranger Things as much as the original Strangetown. This pack gives off Stranger Things vibes like crazy (the plant symbol in the vial in the name, what looks like a plant pod, I believe I saw sporish particles in the trailer so I’m guessing it’s a plant based alien/monster/plant fallen to earth type deal). I’m totally down for it all!
    ~ ~ ~
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I had wondered if it would be similar to JA... just good for a one-play run through and not much replayability… or at least that's most of the assessments that I see about it.
    edited February 2019

Possibly to avoid confusion -- there are Sims Wikis out there that have detailed descriptions of Strangetown so they went with "Strangerville" to acknowledge the inspiration.

@stilljustme2 Good theory, but no... Not to avoid confusion, but to sell a product for Stranger Things fans. They could have called anything else and told on twitter that Strangetown inspired it, i would love a remake of Strangetown way more than a substitute for it. The wikiws can always add more pages or subtopics inside existing pages.
    We had Bella Goth in all 4 games, and there is no difficulties within the wiki pages to gather all the information about her.

I really love and feel attached to worlds/neighbors/premades that were in past games, just like i will be attached to the Pancakes, or Vlad, or the worlds in general, and i feel really sad to know that in future games they are probably not going to show up, like no families (besides some of the families from the main 3 hoods from sims 2) appears in other iterations, they are just forgotten, we never know what happened to them, and thats sad.
    I mean, as I said I love new premades like Johnny Zest or Babs L'amour, but they would be more meaningful if i knew i would be seeing them in the future, maybe growing older between iterations and telling their stories to us. I SIms 2/3 at least they had backstories and personalities, they had family trees and etc... I miss that they felt alive.
    mika wrote: »

Because Strangetown and all its quirks are unique to the Sims 2. This is a new iteration, a new, unique version inspired by the original.

@mika But, like Sims 1 had its own quirks unique to it, it never stopped the Pleasants, the Burbs, the Goths to reappear in Pleasantview, with their stories evolving... Without that, i doubt that Bella Goth would have become the mascot for the series.
    Like Bob Pancakes, if in Sims 5 they show us that him an Eliza divorced or something, and that Iggy became a rebellious teen... The Pancakes have potential to becom meaningful, but so does all sims from all worlds/neighborhoods, and the devs just throw their potential into trash.
    My sister doesnt even remember who Jamie Jolina was, but Bella Goth, or the Landgraabs were so constant through the games that she'll remember them even when she's 80y old.

They could have used that opportunity to show us what happened to the Strangetown residents after Sims 2. Nervous and and Pascal finally noticed that their relationship could be more than friendship? Maybe Ophelia left Johnny on the altar and married Ripp Grunt instead? Did Buck and Jill started dating each other on their teenagehood? I'll never know.
    I mean, i like playing with them and coming up with stories for them, but i played them several times, made hundreds of different choices, I would love to see an official continuation to them, but the devs decided to waste all this potential.
    Cinebar wrote: »

I had wondered if it would be similar to JA... just good for a one-play run through and not much replayability… or at least that's most of the assessments that I see about it.

Probably, but i think they are going to give us enough stuff to use outside the main intended gameplay. A world, laptops, the military career...