Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 StrangerVille - A mystery only Sims can solve

Comments

• dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited February 2019
    I'm in love with stuff like this.

But, I'm a bit confused at how it will work? Considering it seems like a 'life-stories' but in a Game Pack. It could get repetitive after you solve the mystery once, and if you do, will the 'strangeness' stop? Because that would take some charm out of the world. Also, the fine line between making it an interesting mystery without interfering with normal game-play.

I feel the world could have gone further to be different from Oasis springs, and all the rest. I wish it fully devoted itself to small town meets Military base. It looks too cheery.

I'm still really excited, this could be one of my favourite packs.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Unbelievably disappointing. Another boring desert world and not everyone has seen Stranger Things.

This kills my hope that occult players will ever see witches.

To be fair, everyone's taste is different. I would never buy a Witches pack, but I will definitely buy this.

Same. I don't like occults.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Rebbilina wrote: »
    I like the look of the town and the new cas items and I would like to play it through at least once, but I'm not getting it unless there's an option to just use it as a normal town without sims going all weird. I don't want this in my main save, and considering how the vampires come knocking (or break in) even though you haven't interacted with them. I'm not falling for it again unless they give us some kind of toggle.

i lock my sims door. everyone but household. so far no vampires. i got the pack for the furniture.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

But, I'm a bit confused at how it will work? Considering it seems like a 'life-stories' but in a Game Pack. It could get repetitive after solving the mystery once, and if you do, will the 'strangeness' stop? Because that would take some charm out of the world. Also, the fine line between making it an interesting mystery without interfering with normal game-play.

Also, I feel like the world could have gone further to be different from Oasis springs, and all the rest. I wish it fully devoted itself to small town meets Military base. It looks too cheery.

I feel like the world has a bit of a timelessness to it and a Country/Western vibe. I actually really like the design of it because it seems like a forgotten desert town where something weird has been going on for a while and the military only recently discovered it. Some of the clothing also reflects the Western theme too, but a little bit modernized. It's not usually my taste, but I really like the way it was designed. :)
    #Team Occult
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited February 2019
    Unbelievably disappointing. Another boring desert world and not everyone has seen Stranger Things.

To be fair, everyone's taste is different. I would never buy a Witches pack, but I will definitely buy this.

Yeah... I bought vampires specifically because well... I like vampires, specifically. If I could, I would turn ghosts off completely, and limit aliens to only be able to come if you have the portal, period. No hidden aliens and NO alien bar nights.

Also, as a person who can't stand Stranger Things, I am a little worried about people comparing it to that...
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    So it sounds to me like they're doing a sci-fi adventure pack, sort of like Jungle Adventure but by way of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers rather than Indiana Jones. Okay, that sounds fun. I was hoping for more of They Live, if only because I love that movie to death, but I'll take my wins where I can get them.

When can the consoles expect to get it?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2019

But, I'm a bit confused at how it will work? Considering it seems like a 'life-stories' but in a Game Pack. It could get repetitive after you solve the mystery once, and if you do, will the 'strangeness' stop? Because that would take some charm out of the world. Also, the fine line between making it an interesting mystery without interfering with normal game-play.

I feel the world could have gone further to be different from Oasis springs, and all the rest. I wish it fully devoted itself to small town meets Military base. It looks too cheery.

Did you play Sims 1 and 2 - there was lots of this kind of thing in those and what made the Sims games so special and so beloved. They sort of lost their way in Sims 3 and 4 - so it is great to see it coming back! That's the quirkiness and storytelling many of us have complained has been missing since Sims 1 and 2 -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MawMawMawMaw Posts: 99 Member

Yeah... I bought vampires specifically because well... I like vampires, specifically. If I could, I would turn ghosts off completely, and limit aliens to only be able to come if you have the portal, period. No hidden aliens and NO alien bar nights.

Also, as a person who can't stand Stranger Things, I am a little worried about people comparing it to that...

I have a feeling the people comparing it to Stranger Things are only basing that comparison on the name of the pack.
    As a fan of of the show theres really nothing from the trailer that jumps out and makes me think 'Stranger Things!'.
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    This looks like it could be fun. I wonder if you can live in the world or just visit it? I also wonder if Bella will somehow tie into the mystery. Ideally I’d like it to be like once you solve the mystery it’s a sandbox world like the others, not like a repeat of things over and over. It would be really awesome if solving the mystery opened a new life state or something like that.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Did you play Sims 1 and 2 - there was lots of this kind of thing in those and what made the Sims games so special and so beloved. They sort of lost their way in Sims 3 and 4 - so it is great to see it coming back!

i did but not strangeville. i am excited about the pack though.
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,323 Member
    https://sims.arhn.eu/2019/02/20/zdjecia-ze-strangerville-wojsko-agenci-pustkowie-i-jajo/
    So many flags on the wall, give me Uni vibes but that’s a stretch. Whenever they do give Uni I’ll be happy, but this pack definitely has a creepy vibe but in a good sense. Glad laptops are coming back!
  • krystle0385krystle0385 Posts: 563 Member
    hmae123 wrote: »
    I also wonder if Bella will somehow tie into the mystery.

It'd be pretty cool if they could work in an Easter egg for whenever Bella visits the town, I agree!

Oh. One thing I forgot to mention regarding the trailer:

FINALLY MARTIAL ARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Screw the story stuff. I am buying this for Laptops and MARTIAL ARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

This. Well I am not 100 % sure about this one yet, I am leaning toward getting it and whereas I would never get witches. I don't want occult in my game.
    MawMaw wrote: »

I have a feeling the people comparing it to Stranger Things are only basing that comparison on the name of the pack.
    As a fan of of the show theres really nothing from the trailer that jumps out and makes me think 'Stranger Things!'.

I've never seen Stranger Things - but I base this all on the Stranger things that made Sims 2 Strangetown known for its' Stranger things in that town. So I suppose it depends on if you are talking to people who are long time Simmers or people who watch a lot of tv. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• KathesaurKathesaur Posts: 58 Member
    This is the most excited I've been for a pack in a while; this will be perfect to play with my conspiracy theory-loving sim (He's one of my favorites haha)!
    What a treat to get during my birthday month :)
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    The end of the trailer reminds me of the end of Stranger Things season 1. Pack looks cool, but I'll have to watch gameplay first to see of I want to commit. It's a refreshing idea, but I have concerns about how much of Strangetown is involved, because I definitely do not want it back and to become anything less than it was...I loved Strangetown and it's best left in ts2.
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,323 Member
    edited February 2019
    This has something to do with aliens, I know they came in GTW, but in TS3 vampires were brought in Late Night and again in Supernaturals. https://sims.arhn.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/the-sims-4-strangeville-pakiet-4.png
    The flower pot in the shape of an alien
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    It wasn't intended to be finished by now. The whole design of the game was to build something that would last many years longer. We still have a lot of time to get some of the same old themes we've gotten in past iterations, but the good thing about this game's long life is that it gives us more opportunities to have new themes. There's no sense in obsessing over time limits for Sims 4. Grant has recently stated that there is "no end in sight" for the game. This is why we don't have things like University or Witches or swimming yet. It's a longer journey than the other games, like it or not. If you don't, the older games still exists to return to. It's unfortunate if you're unhappy, but there's really nothing you can do about it at this point except either accept the game for what it is or simply don't buy it. Bottom line.

Let me correct that - "it wasn't profitable enough for us to start working on The Sims 5. We're not decided yet if we're going to kill this franchise, or keep it running, so The Sims 4 keeps on going". Games design, with the amount of bugs and issues that it has, was not strong enough for it to even run 2 years, let alone a minimum of 7. Or did you not try to run this game with every EP, SP and GP out there?
  • ElizabethMcElizabethMc Posts: 103 Member
    I thought it was going to be a lot darker, back when we heard rumors that something like this was coming. That said, I'm still excited for this and super psyched that it's coming so soon and that I don't have to wait til the end of March or anything.
    51933350_10157123903496029_4290593889716273152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQm2LuB9LApTdQSKlxPj0cx6XqQg9IesqTg0FX_Cs5sogqyRjcisK6oNSbsY0N0_9lwt4vNOYOiUqMNjNLvZACdN&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=6ab7359b62d930c33633ffd719730e38&oe=5D5F18F9
    Check out my Random Sims Skills Generator and more.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Oooh I love a mystery, this will be so cool
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Did you play Sims 1 and 2 - there was lots of this kind of thing in those and what made the Sims games so special and so beloved. They sort of lost their way in Sims 3 and 4 - so it is great to see it coming back! That's the quirkiness and storytelling many of us have complained has been missing since Sims 1 and 2 -

Both 1 and 2 were highly sandbox, so I'm confused where you see the life-stories part in those. Unless you mean phonecalls, editable town story, a few non playable story hints in the background and job prompts. Or do you mean special NPCs like the Yeti? I'm really confused.
    hmae123 wrote: »
    This looks like it could be fun. I wonder if you can live in the world or just visit it? I also wonder if Bella will somehow tie into the mystery. Ideally I’d like it to be like once you solve the mystery it’s a sandbox world like the others, not like a repeat of things over and over. It would be really awesome if solving the mystery opened a new life state or something like that.

Well if you remember Strangetown had their own Bella - who was a mystery herself and if you searched hard enough and long enough in Pleasantville you would find the real Bella but she carried a death token. (You found her by Mortimer accepting enough blind dates through the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Match maker - but the trick was to be able to get rid of her death token and cleaned of death memories to bring her back to Mortie.

Strangetown Bella was actually prettier than the original one but she was a true mystery as well.

If we do get a Bella - wonder if we will finally get back Strangetown Bella and finally solve her mystery as well.

In dreams - I LIVE!

mirta000 wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    It wasn't intended to be finished by now. The whole design of the game was to build something that would last many years longer. We still have a lot of time to get some of the same old themes we've gotten in past iterations, but the good thing about this game's long life is that it gives us more opportunities to have new themes. There's no sense in obsessing over time limits for Sims 4. Grant has recently stated that there is "no end in sight" for the game. This is why we don't have things like University or Witches or swimming yet. It's a longer journey than the other games, like it or not. If you don't, the older games still exists to return to. It's unfortunate if you're unhappy, but there's really nothing you can do about it at this point except either accept the game for what it is or simply don't buy it. Bottom line.

Let me correct that - "it wasn't profitable enough for us to start working on The Sims 5. We're not decided yet if we're going to kill this franchise, or keep it running, so The Sims 4 keeps on going". Games design, with the amount of bugs and issues that it has, was not strong enough for it to even run 2 years, let alone a minimum of 7. Or did you not try to run this game with every EP, SP and GP out there?

Be as cynical as you will, I see no need for a Sims 5 at this point. This game can do everything I want a Sims game to do.
    Besides, when they DO release Sims 5, I am looking forward to everyone and their little dogs barking about how all vital features are removed and the game is much worse than any that came before it and NO TODDLERS and NO SWIMMINGPOOLS and NO (insert whatever here). Again.

Besides, the two games i play the most have similar business models: Sims 4 and Crusader Kings 2. Crusader Kings was released in February 2012 and just had it's Gazillionth expansion pack.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Looks like we'll be getting another food/supply stall.

Uo1X2UY.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top